Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of families (mine included) who would be perfectly happy to do 2 days of this for the price of (and instead of) WDW. Disney doesn't grab everyone. And if DH and I didn't have DS, we'd STILL do it.

I would say MOSTLY TRUE... but I know plenty of people who have $$$$ to spend on leisure and would do this for the one-time experience if their kids were at all into it. Those people DO exist... not the bulk of the market for this, but they exist for sure.

And I think people are overplaying the DRESSING UP part -- no way that's a REQUIREMENT.

ETA: Take a look a the average incomes of some of the wealthiest counties in this country. The max incomes in those districts are crazy. Many of them have kids and are happy to indulge. Trust me. There are still people floating far above the struggles that much of the country is facing. Who does the VIP tours? Get some of those folks.

Fully agree - and if it is just 1 or two nights, while the per/night rate would be very, very high - this would largely be your entire vacation (or the main component of it) and Disney Cruise line isn't cheap for a trip and those boats are so full they just announced they are adding 3 instead of 2 new ships - so people will pay this

Especially at the beginning - I think what will be interesting is what happens 3, 4, 5 years down the road - is this something people will want to do once or a bunch of times? I mean, i am sure they will vary the experience but it is one things to spend a few thousand for your family to do this once, another thing to spend that money multiple times

That's where my thoughts are right now.

Sure, there will be some willing to shell out $1000/night, but are there enough of them to do it 365 nights year round?

Conventions are planned, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure some of the appeal is everyone gathering together at once.

Will they consistently spread out and keep it booked in January/February?

But I don't know if it will be every night - I might be a 2 day thing with an off day in between or something ... but I agree - and, as I posted before, sure they can fill up the first 356 days and the 2nd, but what about the 5th or 6th?

Agree as described, but... I could see them tailoring the experience:
  • Full-geek (you have a serious role to play -- dress up -- the whole nine)
  • Half-geek (visitor in geek-land, enjoying watching that show and whatever perks like maybe exclusive SWL time, etc.)
  • ... you get my point
:D

ETA: Like a cruise with add-ons... like with DCL you can add decorations/gifts/etc. to your stateroom, dinner at Remy, excursions)... A thought.

Fully agree - and perhaps they cater to both at the same time or hvae different experiences. Like once a week it is set up like the full on geek out people get assigned roles with back stories they have to learn,etc - and the rest of the time it is the CMs fully in character but you are just "playing" yourself and experiencing it

I also wonder about the unisex appeal. Kathy Kennedy clearly has this "thing" going there...but the attraction is still far from proven.

What century are you living in? Us late 70s gals have been consistently busting the system when it come to "boy" stuff vs. "girl" stuff. Does the massive commercial success of the HerUniverse line indicate anything?

I'll be the one dragging my HUSBAND. My Star Wars themed spare room, my almost complete extended universe book collection, and all the dvds are mine ALL mine!!. Now all the recently bought Star Wars toys?? Yeah, they belong to my DAUGHTER! (Whose favorite color is blue, is only 3 and adores all the fast roller coasters she can find, and loves to play pirates, but still kind of wants to be a ballerina) gender stereotypes are soooo passe:rotfl2:

all the dvds are mine ALL mine!!. Now all the recently bought Star Wars toys?? Yeah, they belong to my DAUGHTER! (Whose favorite color is blue, is only 3 and adores all the fast roller coasters she can find, and loves to play pirates, but still kind of wants to be a ballerina) gender stereotypes are soooo passe:rotfl2:

You're funny! Same here. I have my Darth Vader case from when I was a kid that my family knows is OFF LIMITS.

And my DD10 was the kid riding ToT at 6yo with her hands straight up in the air and LOVING IT!! Her tough older brother won't even get into that queue. Her favorite ride now is probably RnR. But she still loves making mini-movies with her Little Pet Shop guys. I just love watching her!! :)

When it comes to SW, DS12 is ALL OVER IT too. His main question right now: "Can you carry a blaster in this hotel?". He wants to role play all the way.

What century are you living in? Us late 70s gals have been consistently busting the system when it come to "boy" stuff vs. "girl" stuff. Does the massive commercial success of the HerUniverse line indicate anything?

I'll be the one dragging my HUSBAND. My Star Wars themed spare room, my almost complete extended universe book collection, and all the dvds are mine ALL mine!!. Now all the recently bought Star Wars toys?? Yeah, they belong to my DAUGHTER! (Whose favorite color is blue, is only 3 and adores all the fast roller coasters she can find, and loves to play pirates, but still kind of wants to be a ballerina) gender stereotypes are soooo passe:rotfl2:

I'm not taking a social stance...I'm simply acknowledging that Star Wars is rooted in the old stereotypical 20th century system that you are acknowledging...

If you've got information that shows a 50/50 demographic split...I'll applaud it and support it.

Is it possible that this is just gonna really expensive themed hotel with some wdi effects and some exclusive amenities?

As in not a cosplay, professional trained actor run 24/7 costume party?

Is it possible that this is just gonna really expensive themed hotel with some wdi effects and some exclusive amenities?

It is possible but by all accounts and concept art so far this will be in the actor 24/7 in theme realm.

Anything is "possible" at this early stage. The presentation at D23 made it sound like more than that, and it sounds like the survey envisioned more than that.

While I don't have said demographic info, I'd bet Disney does. They must not think it's problematic.

To be fair...I don't think it a problem...I just think it's something to keep an eye on moving forward. It is possible that they could build something that has a "boy centric" stigma without even realizing it...

Our speculation is mostly from the survey. Which states:

This all-inclusive, 2-night immersive resort experience at Walt Disney World would include:

• The opportunity to experience a 2-day story set in the Star Wars universe
  • Be surrounded in a continuous, story-driven entertainment experience as it unfolds over the course of the 2-night stay
  • Have personal interactions with Star Wars characters, live performers throughout the starship (experience the story or simply observe the action according to personal preference)
  • Engage in the story with programs such as flight training, ship exploration, lightsaber training, and personalized secret missions (both on the starship and throughout the Star Wars themed planet)

While staying aboard an all-inclusive luxury “starship” at Walt Disney World, guests will stay in luxury accommodations offering:

• All meals during your stay: buffet breakfasts, lunches, & signature evening dining
  • Featured entertainment & dinner shows
  • Exclusive park admission to the Star Wars themed land at the Walt Disney World Resort (a new land opening at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019)
  • Star Wars starship amenities including pool area & water garden, fitness area, on-board cantina, and robotic droid Butlers

To be fair...I don't think it a problem...I just think it's something to keep an eye on moving forward. It is possible that they could build something that has a "boy centric" stigma without even realizing it...
I get what you're saying; my hunch is that they will be VERY MUCH aware of this and seek to ensure it is not the case.

Anything is "possible" at this early stage. The presentation at D23 made it sound like more than that, and it sounds like the survey envisioned more than that.

I agree...seems like the plan is for sometype of exclusivity...

But if you read these threads...it's already being portrayed as 35 year olds from the 501st playing lazer tag in the hallways and having light saber battles in the stairwells...

You know...it is possible instead there'll be a character breakfast with storm troopers and "palpatine frittata"...

We are expecting disney to do a 180 and change all their spots on this.

They didn't say "adults" only and this could be designed as an add on like a DCL land and sea...as has been suggested...and marketed to families.

I agree...seems like the plan is for sometype of exclusivity...

But if you read these threads...it's already being portrayed as 35 year olds from the 501st playing lazer tag in the hallways and having light saber battles in the stairwells...

You know...it is possible instead there'll be a character breakfast with storm troopers and "palpatine frittata"...

We are expecting disney to do a 180 and change all their spots on this.

They didn't say "adults" only and this could be designed as an add on like a DCL land and sea...as has been suggested...and marketed to families.
If I had to guess right now, through the lens of maximizing market size, I'd guess somewhere between "light saber battle in the stairwells" and "palpatine frittata".

It'll be a delicate balance between "wide enough" appeal and not turning off the truly die hard cosplayers et al.

I personally draw the line at palpatine frittata -- deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter