Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're betting on the first week of Dec - probably between Nov 30 - Dec 8... because that is when we booked! LOL! If so, it will be crazy!

I'm actually hoping for an October opening, but I don't have much hope. I am a little worried about the crowds that SWGE will bring. Of course, it could open after we leave on Dec 8th as fall technically goes until Dec 21.

We are going 11-19 to 11-24. My dream is it doesn't open until AFTER that! But I realize its cutting it close. I have been hesitating to pull the trigger on a DVC for that week as we may cancel the trip if GE is open and all heck is breaking loose there.

That's our dream as well - and same dates - lol. Anytime after that works for us :)

This was the most interesting update Disney has made, was it a) to drive more bookings in fall and prevent people from cancelling and moving to later dates for SWGE .... (but, would disney actually do this when they have, of late, been very difficult to pin down to a date, so why bump up the expected opening?) b) because construction is moving along nicely and they are actually more confident it will be open in fall, rather than late november / december ?

One thing I've been watching... and I have no way of knowing whether it's related to SWGE or not... is end dates for various promos. First, Canadian Resident discount tickets were only good through September 27th. Now, rooms are on sale only through September 30th. It might not be guaranteed at this point that there'd be an October opening for Skyliner, SWGE, etc., but it feels like right now they're betting that it could come early. If the timeline works, I don't think they have any incentive to delay opening vs. getting the extra business as soon as possible.

If we start to see discounts come out for October but not November, it would increase the odds of a November opening, IMO.

@rteetz - you think that DL GE will be open in Sept? I'm thinking since they are saying "summer" Sept should be safe. My SW obsessed family is really looking forward to GE and we were thinking of DL and some other so. cal things as one of our trips with the kids this summer. DH and I will likely go to the opening day if we can make the custody work out:)

@rteetz - you think that DL GE will be open in Sept? I'm thinking since they are saying "summer" Sept should be safe. My SW obsessed family is really looking forward to GE and we were thinking of DL and some other so. cal things as one of our trips with the kids this summer. DH and I will likely go to the opening day if we can make the custody work out:)
We are expecting it to likely open in late June based on blockout calendars.

One thing I've been watching... and I have no way of knowing whether it's related to SWGE or not... is end dates for various promos. First, Canadian Resident discount tickets were only good through September 27th. Now, rooms are on sale only through September 30th. It might not be guaranteed at this point that there'd be an October opening for Skyliner, SWGE, etc., but it feels like right now they're betting that it could come early. If the timeline works, I don't think they have any incentive to delay opening vs. getting the extra business as soon as possible.

If we start to see discounts come out for October but not November, it would increase the odds of a November opening, IMO.

As of Today's promo, those are my thoughts exactly ! I said the same thing to my wife this evening.

Disney internally was aiming for a late October opening. Something happened along the way and they started to use the "late fall" verbiage. Most likely the contractor not giving optimistic completion dates, and Disney wanting to avoid a repeat of ROL. Probably hit a milestone sometime in December, and realized they could get it done by October.

I hope this happens. I arrive for christmas, and would love for the kinks to be worked out by then.

We're betting on the first week of Dec - probably between Nov 30 - Dec 8... because that is when we booked! LOL! If so, it will be crazy!

I'm actually hoping for an October opening, but I don't have much hope. I am a little worried about the crowds that SWGE will bring. Of course, it could open after we leave on Dec 8th as fall technically goes until Dec 21.

That crowds will be MASSIVE. GE is going to be quite literally the biggest draw to WDW for a few years so definitely expect elbows to be rubbing together in there for a while.

I am simply hoping that they don’t open during my trip I just booked. I’m going 9/24-10/1. Don’t get me wrong! I love Star Wars, but I don’t want to deal with the opening crowds. I’m willing to miss it this time around and catch it on my next trip.

I am hoping the Skyliner is done by then.

I am simply hoping that they don’t open during my trip I just booked. I’m going 9/24-10/1. Don’t get me wrong! I love Star Wars, but I don’t want to deal with the opening crowds. I’m willing to miss it this time around and catch it on my next trip.

It wont happen. They are not going to officially open SWGE while FD is being offered.

Seems like Disney announces opening dates for these things about 3-4 months in advance so I’m assuming they’ll announce the opening date sometime during the summer, maybe July? Which means the special offers will have already been released in the spring, so I’m wondering if those offers will reflect the opening of SWGE. Planning a trip for November and I’m not sure if I want it to be open or not by then?? Super excited to see it but not super excited about the crowds!

Just got an update from Touring Plans. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday - November 18,19,20 have just been update from 4 to 8, 3 to 9, and 4 to 8 respectively park wide. With two MK 10 days now! The MK days were sixes before.

Just got an update from Touring Plans. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday - November 18,19,20 have just been update from 4 to 8, 3 to 9, and 4 to 8 respectively park wide. With two MK 10 days now! The MK days were sixes before.

Just to note - there seems to be a big change having been made to touring plans algorithms and they have tweeted that an article is coming explaining the changes ... so basically all dates have had their crowd levels changed

most extreme I saw was a date in January had the Animal Kingdom rating changed from a 1 to a 9

So I wouldn't read too much into this as far as GE opening

Seems like Disney announces opening dates for these things about 3-4 months in advance so I’m assuming they’ll announce the opening date sometime during the summer, maybe July? Which means the special offers will have already been released in the spring, so I’m wondering if those offers will reflect the opening of SWGE. Planning a trip for November and I’m not sure if I want it to be open or not by then?? Super excited to see it but not super excited about the crowds!

yeah, though this might be a bit different with the two GEs - the one in Disneyland and this one ... so I would expect the Disneyland one to have it's opening date announced 3-4 months ahead of time but not sure about WDWs as maybe they announce both at the same time? It might be the same (3-4 months) but I think there is potential for this to be a bit different just due to the two locations opening.

Also WDW has the skyliner and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway all opening in "Fall" so they might announce the specific openings for everything at once ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter