Stateroom change

Linda Riedle

Earning My Ears
I very happily booked a category 11 room on the June 21st Western Carribbean cruise...small but quiet. Now
that I have received my tickets, however, I find that they have
assigned me a larger but noisy category 10 room on deck 2.
Disney considers this an upgrade. I consider it a downgrade.
My travel agent called Disney and they basically told him that I'm
screwed and he accepted that. Since I booked through a travel
agent, they will not talk to me when I call them directly. Does
anyone out there know of any other recourse I have to get
this corrected?

I thought "upgrades" were optional that you did not have to accept them. Is a cat. 10 bigger than an 11? Is that the cat. where the split baths start? If so you will like the split bath we found them very convienent.

Just wondering how you know/what makes you think it is a noisy cabin?

Yes, the split bath would be nice...bigger is usually better but I
don't want to trade "being able to sleep" for "having more
space". If anyone out there is going on this June 21st cruise,
has a category 11, is insensitive to noise, and wants to trade
with me to get more space, give a yell.

Linda how do you know that is a noisy cabin? Have you checked it against Dave's list? It may be just fine.

Of the noisey deck two cabins-
(Hope it is ok I copied it Dave..if you didn't want me to pm me and I will delete it)

Port Starboard
2000 - 2004

2036 - 2047

2078 - 2085

2094 - 2096

2114 - 2129

2139 - 2153
2500 - 2520

2534 - 2547

2586 - 2600

2630 - 2653

Also, on Deck 1, you might want to avoid...

Port
1030 - 1037

My Passporter field guide lists it as a noisy room and so does
dcltribute.com (as well as a few other websites). Below is the
excerpt from dcltribute.com:

"I had more than one question about the noise on Deck 2 while I maintained a "Let me answer your questions, 'live' from the Magic" thread on the DIS Boards during our 2001 Magic cruise, so I went down to Deck 2 and did my own evaluation.

First of all, let me state that, for the majority of the rooms, Deck 2 is very quiet and you should have no problem staying there. But there are some zones where staterooms are near loud mechanical equipment (electrical lockers, transformer rooms, a/c equipment rooms, ship's propellers, cargo hatches, etc.).

So with the disclaimer that "your mileage may vary" and that you may be willing to put up with the "dull roar" in exchange for a good fare, these are the rooms that are in noisy zones:

Port Starboard
2000 - 2004

2036 - 2047

2078 - 2085

2094 - 2096

2114 - 2129

2139 - 2153
2500 - 2520

2534 - 2547

2586 - 2600

2630 - 2653

The noise in these zones is not so loud that it would ruin your vacation, but if you are sensitive to noise, you would probably want to consider another room or be sure to bring earplugs to wear when you go to bed.
"

I have 2143.

Oh well I can see why you would not be happy.. I would think you could refuse the "upgrade" or ask for a different cabin?

Linda,

If DCL will not deal directly with you, then call your TA back. Tell him that *he* may have accepted the explanation that "you're screwed," but that you do not. You are his customer and he is making money off of your booking. If he still refuses to get it straightened out, ask to speak to the owner of the agency. If he *is* the owner of the agency, tell him that you'll be reporting him to the BBB and then do so. If all of this fails, call DCL directly again, explain your situation, ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary, and then get the cabin you orginally booked back. Tell them to "upgrade" whomever they have placed in your orginal cabin to the one on Deck 2.

Good luck,
Julie

I've got a call into my travel agent now but just wanted to
check out other avenues. According to Disney, I didn't actualy
book a Category 11 stateroom. I booked a Category 11
guarantee which I knew meant that I would get a Category
11 room or better. I just don't consider these noisy Category
10 rooms better. But thanks for your advice. I'll keep plugging.

We just came home from the 5/17 cruise and had a Cat 11 on Deck 6. I would trade it for a noisy Cat 10 or Cat 9 room any day. The room was very small for 4 adults (2 adults and 2 older teens). Not nearly enough storage space (packed exactly the same amount as last cruise when we had a Cat 9). The bathroom was a single but very small. I would not book a Cat 11 again unless there were only 2 of us. The lack of natural light really presented a problem for me, which I was not expecting.

We had cabin 6045 mid-ship and my other teen and her friends had cabin 6053 and our friends had 6051. Our cabin was never cool enough but the other cabins were. I think there was a problem with ours.

Unless I had to I would not book a Cat 11 again.

MJ

Originally posted by Linda Riedle
I've got a call into my travel agent now but just wanted to
check out other avenues. According to Disney, I didn't actualy
book a Category 11 stateroom. I booked a Category 11
guarantee which I knew meant that I would get a Category
11 room or better. I just don't consider these noisy Category
10 rooms better. But thanks for your advice. I'll keep plugging.

Well, that is indeed a whole other bushel of apples :)

Did your TA tell you that he'd booked you a Cat 11 or a Cat 11 guarantee? It seems like your TA may have dropped the ball here, not Disney....

If you had booked and been assigned an actual room number, you would not be required to accept the upgrade. But booking a "guarantee" ressie means you would have to accept. I would try the TA again and see if they can work with DCL to resolve the matter for you. If not, go and enjoy the larger room! The split bath is great. I always say any room on DLC is better than staying home here! LOL!! Good luck!! :)

CarolAnnK: Don't be so sure. We were just on the Wonder and we had SPR 5520 booked since October 2002. We arrived, got our keys and proceeded to 5520. The keys would NOT open the door. Went to guest services and they told me that 5520 was not my room (my docs said 5520). Anyway, we were upgraded to 5518 which was category 8 next door to 5520. This upgrade was totally acceptable but the ship was full so what would have happened if it hadn't been? Our luggage was delivered to 520, the person who was upgraded from 5518 had their luggage outside our new room and the chain would go on.

BTW, when we got into 5518, there was a bottle of sparkling cider and canapes courtesy of DCL. Is this common?

If the travel agent won't "go to bat for you" it's time to cancel the reservation and re-book directly through Disney. Unless, of course, it's too late to do that. I didn't notice your sailing dates.

Well, Disney came through for me. I'm back to cheering for the
Ducks again...although that outcome isn't looking as promising as
the new stateroom.

Carolann...If you book a room and get an assigned number, they won't change your room if you don't want them too. Unless its an upgrade , of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter