• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying in the Polynesian Villas with toddlers ?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I wanted a regular room but only DVC Villas are available so I booked it. I am a bit concerned with 2 bathrooms it might be a pain to keep toddler out of the bathrooms (one I could block somehow but can't manage two I am sure). I was told the doors are barn doors or sort of pocket doors so I can't put a doorknob thing on it, etc. Did anyone stay at the Poly Villas with curious toddlers and was that aspect annoying? Also did you let your toddler sleep on the murphy bed (can they provide a bedrail for that)? What about the sofa bed? I would assume rails on the sofa bed would not be feasible if you want to close it daily? Please let me know anything else I might encounter in a DVC room with a very curious toddler. Thank you.

Eta - It was such a PIA at the Grand Floridian with a toddler, since the sink area did not have a door, with a mobile infant at that time so just wondering how annoying this might be.

Didn't I see this question yesterday??

Yes, they are sliding doors. Yes, they are heavy.

You can request a bed rail which will work on any bed. Yes, the rail will need to be removed if you want to close the bed.

The rooms aren't so large that you wouldn't be able to keep track of your child.

I think this one may be subjective. We have been taking our two girls now 6 and 3 since they each were infants at several DVC resorts and have never had any annoyances with the bathrooms. The only thing that has caused me pause was the separate door to the balcony. But, making sure that is locked and out of their reach has addressed that.

Both of our girls have slept either on the sofa bed (DD1 from ages 2-5 so far), the Murphy bed (BCV) or the pullout chair (BLT) (DD2 from 2-3 so far).

Each room will also have a Pack n Play.

I am a bit concerned with 2 bathrooms it might be a pain to keep toddler out of the bathrooms (one I could block somehow but can't manage two I am sure). I was told the doors are barn doors or sort of pocket doors so I can't put a doorknob thing on it, etc. Did anyone stay at the Poly Villas with curious toddlers and was that aspect annoying? Also did you let your toddler sleep on the murphy bed (can they provide a bedrail for that)? What about the sofa bed? I would assume rails on the sofa bed would not be feasible if you want to close it daily? Please let me know anything else I might encounter in a DVC room with a very curious toddler. Thank you.

We stay there last year and i am wondering if you could use those door stoppers (usually triangular shaped and typically used to keep a door propped open) - you might be able to use it to keep the doors from sliding open. As for the Murphy bed, if the toddler moves around a lot i would just put the couch cushions on the floor. The Murphy bed isn't real high so the couch cushions would probably prevent any sort of fall/injury. Or just use the pack n play.

The room isn't so large that you wouldn't be able to see the toddler attempting to get into the bathroom. You know you just can't take you eye off of them. Even if they did get into the bathroom i don't think there is a ton of trouble they could get into beside unrolling the toilet paper - no chemicals to worry about.

I wanted a regular room but only DVC Villas are available so I booked it. I am a bit concerned with 2 bathrooms it might be a pain to keep toddler out of the bathrooms (one I could block somehow but can't manage two I am sure). I was told the doors are barn doors or sort of pocket doors so I can't put a doorknob thing on it, etc. Did anyone stay at the Poly Villas with curious toddlers and was that aspect annoying? Also did you let your toddler sleep on the murphy bed (can they provide a bedrail for that)? What about the sofa bed? I would assume rails on the sofa bed would not be feasible if you want to close it daily? Please let me know anything else I might encounter in a DVC room with a very curious toddler. Thank you.

Eta - It was such a PIA at the Grand Floridian with a toddler, since the sink area did not have a door, with a mobile infant at that time so just wondering how annoying this might be.
Could you use suitcases or something to block the "hallway" to the bathrooms? Easy enough for adults to step over but provides a barrier to the kids.

. We have been taking our two girls now 6 and 3 since they each were infants at several DVC resorts and have never had any annoyances with the bathrooms. The only thing that has caused me pause was the separate door to the balcony. But, making sure that is locked and out of their reach has addressed that.

Both of our girls have slept either on the sofa bed (DD1 from ages 2-5 so far), the Murphy bed (BCV) or the pullout chair (BLT) (DD2 from 2-3 so far).

Each room will also have a Pack n Play.

My first child I would have never understood why any of this would be an issue. This child, now I get it, all the things I could never understand that other kids did unfortunately.

We were able to get a crib instead of a pack-n-play our last stay at VGF, I'm not sure if it is an option at PVB, but you could see if you could request one. The crib is a standard travel one that rolls, and was much better than a pack-n-play.

The only issue I see with the rooms is that the corners of the beds are wood and are easy to run into. I would definitely want to block or cushion those.

Don’t forget PVB has the fold down bed for children and others, so you don’t have to use the fold out couch for one child. Saves time opening and closing the couch.

My 4 year old loves the Polynesian! We stayed there this summer. The bed rails do fit on the pull down bed, we also tried pillows on the side of the bed. We were lucky enough to tire the little guy out enough so he didn't get into any trouble. The sliding doors can be troublesome but the pointy edges of the beds were the most problematic for us. All in all we still found the Polynesian easier to setup for a little one then many other places we have stayed. For other great tips for toddler proofing a DVC room try youtube.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter