• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

StormRider: A Review

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Since I have been part of several novel-length threads recently discussing my disappointments with Animal Kingdom and others, I thought it would only be fair that I point everyone to an example of what Disney can do so right when it wants to.

A moment-by-moment description and review of DisneySea’s ‘StormRider’ attraction has been posted at http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/tdstour/tdsridesstorm02.htm . The attraction represents the state-of-the-art for simulator thrill rides and is a favorite of the survivors at WDI. There were early rumors that the attraction might appear at Epcot or California Adventure, but that will need a major sponsor to happen.

From the review: “StormRider combines the best elements of Soarin' Over California and Star Tours into one state of the art simulator attraction that leaves all others far in its wake. The in cabin lighting and physical effects add a tremendous visceral impact to the attraction. It's no longer solely a visual and aural experience but also a tactile one. By the time the lights come on and the doors open you feel spent and exhausted. Much more than any other simulator I have experienced (and I have been on all the big ones from the Star Trek Experience to Back to the Future and Star Tours). You really feel as if you've gone through something truly harrowing.”

I should also mention that the other page of the article is a description of the Aquatopia attraction that’s also in Port Discovery. While not considered a major attraction, the ride uses the trackless/guideless ride system from Tokyo Disneyland’s ‘Winnie the Pooh’ ride. This is, again, an amazing state of the art ride system. Each vehicle rolls around, using GPS and networks to “plot” a course with all the other ride vehicles and can freely roam the entire attraction. While this technology can be used for a children’s ride in Tokyo, it was deemed too expense for inclusion in either the WDW or Disneyland version of the ride. Is it any wonder the TDL version is nicknamed ‘Winnie’ and the domestic version is named ‘Pooh’?

I read the link and it sounds great!!! Shows you that disney can do great things when the imagineers are allowed to do so and not stopped due to budget reasons. But it seems wdw/dl wont spend the money for a e-ticket anymore but will let a sponsor pay for it. Its sad to compare the wdw pooh and the new version, but hey we added another store right.

You know what is funny about this article, M. AV? He gives only two stars to Aquatopia...but that has to be skewed against the other attractions in the Disney Seas.

Imagine how many stars it would get next to the Orange Stinger, or Whoopie Slowed Down Limo, or some of the other additions.

Also, notice that TDS follows the company line...when you squeeze money out of a sponsor (remember those talks M. AV gave us on the battle between Disney and OLC) they can build something mind-blowing. When they use their own money, no risk is taken at all. And they call that a safe company policy.

Me thinks it is not safe...it is just accountantineering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter