Storybook Gardens or African Lion Safari?

Winston112

Mouseketeer
We're planning a short trip to Canada in mid-July. We have never been to either of the above parks. Those of you who frequent these parks, please give me your ideas. DS is 6 yo and loves animals, biking, swimming, and playscapes. I'm recovering from surgery and my doctor has told me to limit walking, standing, bending, etc. Therefore, I want a nice and quiet place to just relax, sightsee, and watch my son have fun. We'll be driving in from Detroit and staying overnight at Four Pointes Sheraton at either Kitchener or London. I have 2 free nights thanks to Starwood. Please advise me about the hotels also?

Starwood points are nice to have. Have you thought about Sheraton Vistana Villages? Very handicap accessible< main floor...
(although you aren't permanently physically challenged, you should think about not climbing too many stairs)
I do not know those places you mentioned, sorry, but I hope your surgery and trip go well.
Elaine

Good Sunday Morning Everyone,

Having lived in London my whole life and taken many class trips to Storybook Gardens I can give hopefully give you some insight. Storybook Gardens isn't a lot of walking and there are benches everywhere to rest. It has animals in pens which sometimes resemble their natural habitats. My son just turned seven and he has enjoyed it everytime we've gone. There aren't near as many animals, but I think it is considerably cheaper than African Lion Safari. There is a neat maze for the kids to play in. In the summer I think they have shows for you to enjoy. At the back of the park there is a huge play area with slide mazes, rope climbers, bouncing area etc. where they can wear off lots of energy. You can probably do Storybook in about a half a day. Since London is only two hours from Detroit, perhaps you could see Storybook and then travel the extra hour and stay near African Lion Safari and see it the next day.

We went to African Lion Safari a few years ago and my son absolutely loved it. They have the tour(take the bus unless you want your vehicle trashed by the monkeys) through the larger animal park. Lots of animals, sort of reminds me of Kilamanjaro Safari. There is a water park area for the kids to play in and cool off. My favourite thing was to watch the elephants have their bath in the lake.

Both are great places. Perhaps someone who has been to African Lion Safari recently may have more up to date information. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

I have not been to Storybook, but go often to Lions Safari.

I would take the air-condition bus for a nominal charge to save the paint job of my car, to not too worry about driving, to take pictures and to watch the delight on the children's faces.

There is also a big spash pad with slides, tube, etc. and the kids always love it.

The four points in London is amazing. Stayed there for a weekend two weeks ago. I don't know if you just have a reg room or suite--but the suites are incredible, very wel equipped. Look them up thru the starwood site and see what you think.

One word of caution about Lion Safari, Don't expect Animal Kingdom, not even close. Its a nice park but I find if I don't know what to expect my expectations are too high.

without a doubt.. ALS over StoryBook Gardens!!!

there is so little to do at StoryBook Gardens now.. i went when i was little as well and it had a lot more than it does now

have not been to animal kingdom... so i can't compare it to ALS

but it's a nice place

drive thro about an hr drive and get close to the animals, the baboons are Halarious!!! (do the drive thro ..either car or bus... early) and spend the rest of the day in and around the rest of the park
there are a few small shows ... and elephant that paints T-Shirts! lol

and the water park is fun too... small but fun

for this area... it's a great place to spend a day

tip: if u do take the tour bus thro and not your own car... BOOK THE BUS as soon as u get there... in the summer it fills up fast and you'll be stuck getting on it very late in the day

whichever you choose... have fun!

(btw, these 2 places are about 1 ish from each other.. could always do them a day apart)

Thanks for all the responses and good tips! These boards are wonderful. ALS here we come on 7/13/02.

Hello:
I lived just a couple miles from Storybook when I was a kid and visited it many times, and I have now taken my kids there. It is a nice little park, not too big or to wild. Magic Kingdom it is not! I agree with the suggestion of planning for one-half day visit. London is a nice city to visit as well. Here are a couple web sites for you to check out.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/stgCAN.html

http://www.City.london.on.ca/CommunityServices/Recreation/Storybook/home.htm

Have a good trip.
Pete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter