Strange World Is a Historic Bomb for Disney on a Weak Thanksgiving Box Office Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the marketing of the WDAS movies I can’t speak to the volume of what’s on TV for more recent films since I cut cable years ago.

I will say trailers for the thanksgiving movies going back years have been released about the same time. Frozen/Encanto/Moana/Strange World all had their teaser trailers released over the summer and official trailer debut in September.

Saw the movie tonight. Took DH, two DS and my brother met us with his wife. Just a light night out.

It was colorful in a beautiful way (not primary colors), it was fun and the story good even if deep. DS said "It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. It was like they pulled from Atlantis and Treasure Planet - and made the same mistake of releasing now instead of summer. Holiday releases need to be musicals."

I felt like it was lots of different movies mixed together with parts feeling like River Navi'. Visually I think children would like it but I the story might be over their head. It was one of those that visually it was for younger but story wise and the nods were all for someone older. I'd watch again at home maybe once.

NOTE: DS#1 love movie theater, he has his routine of kid's snack pack, sleeping through the 3rd quarter and coming home to google all about it. This was a rare event that he stayed awake the whole movie and we caught him laughing at scenes (he's considered nonverbal and usually just watches).

NOW they had a trailer for new Pixar "Elemental" and I was like NO NO NO please stop beating a dead horse. So bad even I don't want to go see it.

We had lots of marketing for it on our tv, enough that DH told me he wanted to see it with us (only boys and I have A-List). DH liked some off beat sci fi back in the day so he was curious.

And I was one who just didn't get the excitement over it. I thought the music was predictable and while the movie was colorful it was boring.
I love your son’s take on when they should release movies and he’s right!

I only learned about this movie from DisBoards and Disney+. And I also heard about it from some news clips talking about the "controversial" aspect, which I don't want to talk about. I just point it out because that gave it a "political" aspect which can be a major negative for people.

I haven't been to a movie theater in years and I don't think I will return unless it's something really amazing I feel needs a big screen. It's not about movies themselves, it's more the experience. With little kids, it's way easier to watch all together as a family on the couch! And WAY cheaper. The value is not there for the ticket cost.

See, I saw ads too. I saw some last night. Clearly marketing was a problem since so many people didn't see them, but my viewing habits definitely had me exposed to it. Those habits include a lot of Simpsons/Family Guy/Bob's Burgers on FXX though, which is Disney owned.
And we don't watch any of those so it was spread among places. DH only goes to a random movie here and there, and this one he told us he wanted to go with us and that was months ago.

NOTE: With about 25+ people in the theater only 2 were children.

I love your son’s take on when they should release movies and he’s right!
He is a movie person to the point he talks about technical stuff too that I miss. He gave examples of others that were released at the wrong time but were great movies. Disney should know by now what the customers are looking for at different times of year. It makes sense.

I also think this time of year many are spending excess income on holiday shopping, travel etc so the movie better be a must see to add that expense. In summer families are looking for entertainment and I think this would have been more sought after.

Although I haven't seen this movie yet, the box office results are reminding me of what happened with 2015's The Good Dinosaur, a movie that I think my husband and I are the 5 people in the theater with us that day are some of the few people who saw it in a theater.

No, this wasn't the best animated movie Disney ever made, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. I also really liked Treasure Planet, which I saw in a movie theater too. So I'm guessing I'm going to like Strange World. Looking forward to seeing it on D+.

As for going to a movie theater--it'd have to be something amazing to lure me in. So far, nothing has fit that bill for me.

Pixar, LucasFilm, and WD Animation are in serious trouble. Marvel is heading down this path too. There are multiple reasons why. In no particular order:

1.) Poor marketing.
2.) Poor storytelling.
3.) Excessive costs to make movies.
4.) Streaming options at home make the theater experience less attractive.
5.) Audiences that avoid political/social commentary for children's movies.

Lightyear and Strange World cost a combine $350 Million - $380 Million to make. That's bonkers. It's animation.

Many people were confused whether Lightyear was a Toy Story movie or not. Confusion is a poor marketing tactic. The marketing was so limited for Strange World it almost feels like TWDC was trying to hide this movie. Bizarre marketing tactic.

I realize there are folks who are going to love Strange World and Lightyear. The Cinema Score is low for a Disney animated movie, fair or unfair. It also has no audience buzz, fair or unfair. Lightyear had a very good first Act followed by one of the worst second and third Acts in a Disney movie I've ever seen. It is a lazy and dumb metaphor that Buzz Lightyear's greatest enemy is himself in the form of Emperor Zurg. That's the inspiration behind Andy wanting a Buzz Lightyear super-hero toy? The superhero is actually the sworn enemy of the superhero? That's not consistent with being a superhero.

If you are shelling out $100 / year or more for streaming, why not just stay home and use it. I have seen close 1,000 movies in the theater. When I was younger, I averaged 2 movies / week in theater. But, I concede it's far less attractive for a family to shell out $50 or more at the theater and also pay the money to stream the movie. I truly think people view streaming as a replacement for the movie theater experience and that is a cultural shift.

Look, people are going to have to accept that some folks simply do not want to take there kids to see a movie that has political and social commentary. Adults and kids are already getting bombarded with social and political commentary in every day life, news, work, parties, etc. Sometimes parents just want to take their kids to a movie and when they get in the car to leave the theater, they just want to talk about how much fun that movie was or sing a fun song they heard. Sometimes parents just want an escape for a couple hours and when they cannot get it because they are going to have to answer social commentary questions from kids after the movie is over, they are tired and worn out. And by the way, the social and political commentary, can come from any view point. This form of escape is becoming far less available to many parents to do something fun with their kids. It has even crept into zoos, museums, sporting events, etc. It appears to me that audiences have tuned out these types of animated family movies, right or wrong, better or worse. That's the reality that TWDC needs to accept.

Pixar, LucasFilm, and WD Animation are in serious trouble. Marvel is heading down this path too. There are multiple reasons why. In no particular order:

1.) Poor marketing.
2.) Poor storytelling.

Lightyear and Strange World cost a combine $350 Million - $380 Million to make. That's bonkers. It's animation.

Many people were confused whether Lightyear was a Toy Story movie or not. Confusion is a poor marketing tactic. The marketing was so limited for Strange World it almost feels like TWDC was trying to hide this movie. Bizarre marketing tactic.

I realize there are folks who are going to love Strange World and Lightyear. The Cinema Score is low for a Disney animated movie, fair or unfair. It also has no audience buzz, fair or unfair. Lightyear had a very good first Act followed by one of the worst second and third Acts in a Disney movie I've ever seen. It is a lazy and dumb metaphor that Buzz Lightyear's greatest enemy is himself in the form of Emperor Zurg. That's the inspiration behind Andy wanting a Buzz Lightyear super-hero toy? The superhero is actually the sworn enemy of the superhero? That's not consistent with being a superhero.

If you are shelling out $100 / year or more for streaming, why not just stay home and use it. I have seen close 1,000 movies in the theater. When I was younger, I averaged 2 movies / week in theater. But, I concede it's far less attractive for a family to shell out $50 or more at the theater and also pay the money to stream the movie. I truly think people view streaming as a replacement for the movie theater experience and that is a cultural shift.

Look, people are going to have to accept that some folks simply do not want to take there kids to see a movie that has political and social commentary. Adults and kids are already getting bombarded with social and political commentary in every day life, news, work, parties, etc. Sometimes parents just want to take their kids to a movie and when they get in the car to leave the theater, they just want to talk about how much fun that movie was or sing a fun song they heard. Sometimes parents just want an escape for a couple hours and when they cannot get it because they are going to have to answer social commentary questions from kids after the movie is over, they are tired and worn out. And by the way, the social and political commentary, can come from any view point. This form of escape is becoming far less available to many parents to do something fun with their kids. It has even crept into zoos, museums, sporting events, etc. It appears to me that audiences have tuned out these types of animated family movies, right or wrong, better or worse. That's the reality that TWDC needs to accept.

The poor marketing is definitely an issue. I haven't seen a lot of poor storytelling, though Disney has definitely come down form the creative high they were on - the Second Renaissance is over. It happened after the first one too. Lightyear was pretty disappointing though.

Costs are a HUGE issue for movies and have been for a while. Not everything can make a billion dollars at the box-office - there are only so many movie-going dollars to go around, and that pool is shrinking too. When tere was one or two blockbusters a year, they could each get their share, but when there are 3 or 4 Marvel movies alone - yeah, things are going to be edged out. Not every movie can cost $250M+ to make! They have to scale it back. Streaming has indeed made anything but the most essential blockbusters barely viable in theaters.

On the last point, let me just say that kids and family movies have always had social commentary. Every movie ever made has a message of some kind, and kids movies have always had messaging, generally speaking to a shared social concious, right versus wrong, good and evil, etc. They have been more and more inclusive since the late 1970's. The only difference now is that everything has become political where it didn't used to be. Messages like "be yourself" and "respect the environment" are now seen as potentially challenging to our ideologies - our shared social concious is no longer shared as forces of division have driven a wedge in our society, which is lamentable.

Last edited:
I know many have stopped going to see movies in the theatre. A lot of that has to do with the quality of the movies that have recently come out. I do think the Super Mario movie will change that. It's going to be one of the higher grossing animated movies next year.

IMO all streaming services did this to themselves by releasing the new movies so quick to streaming.

1.) Poor marketing.
2.) Poor storytelling.

I agree with a lot of what if stated. The thing is that Disney at its best is all about story telling. Do it well and you can get by with some social commentary. I still am amazed at how well done Zootopia is. What better commentary that peels back race/bigotry but in such a way both kids and parents can love. The sledge hammer approach is what turns people off.

The poor marketing is definitely an issue. I haven't seen a lot of poor storytelling, though Disney has definitely come down form the creative high they were on - the Second Renaissance is over. It happened after the first one too. Lightyear was pretty disappointing though.

Costs are a HUGE issue for movies and have been for a while. Not everything can make a billion dollars at the box-office - there are only so many movie-going dollars to go around, and that pool is shrinking too. When tere was one or two blockbusters a year, they could each get their share, but when there are 3 or 4 Marvel movies alone - yeah, things are going to be edged out. Not every movie can cost $250M+ to make! They have to scale it back. Streaming has indeed made anything but the most essential blockbusters barely viable in theaters.

On the last point, let me just say that kids and family movies have always had social commentary. Every movie ever made has a message of some kind, and kids movies have always had messaging, generally speaking to a shared social concious, right versus wrong, good and evil, etc. They have been more and more inclusive since the late 1970's. The only difference now is that everything has become political where it didn't used to be. Messages like "be yourse;f" and "respect the environment" are now seen as potentially challenging to our ideologies - our shared social concious is no longer shared as forces of division have driven a wedge in our society, which is lamentable.
And I liked Lightyear, enough to see it twice in theaters. Any misunderstanding as to what it was is on the viewer, it's not rocket science. The TOY was always based on a PERSON and this movie was about the person, hence why the different voice.

I just love that folks blame real life being reflected in movies as some kind of social commentary. It just tells me that person has issues with the folks in the real world. I loved in Strange World there was a 3 legged dog and showed folks in wheelchairs, different races and ethnic backgrounds. Everything they showed was just normal real world, including relationships with family, friends, neighbors.

But I do agree, every movie has a message because without it .... there is no story.

Now if I can just get through Avatar (0 for 3 so far) so I'll be ready for the next one. Finally saw the preview on the big screen and well .... it is lovely animation but nothing special. I don't think Jimmy is going to get the adulations he got last time. Might be a little reality for him that technology has surpassed his original and what he did isn't so special anymore.

Did they even advertise this movie? My kids never mentioned it and I never saw a trailer or anything about it coming out. The first I heard of it was this post. Maybe that’s why it bombed? I don’t like going to movie theaters (too loud) but we take our kids to movies and we probably would have gone if we knew about it.
Same here. None of us even knew Disney had a movie coming out on Thanksgiving. I didn't hear about it until I saw the news it was a bomb. We watched the trailer and no one was interested in it. From what the trailer shows of the story, it kind of gave Atlantis or TV cartoon series vibes.

Are there others who got Moana vibes watching this? The plant dies and you have to restore the heart.
And bonus points for those who thought of Aladdin 3 when it appeared to be a turtle.

Messages like "be yourse;f" and "respect the environment" are now seen as potentially challenging to our ideologies - our shared social concious is no longer shared as forces of division have driven a wedge in our society, which is lamentable.
We are going to have to agree to disagree that these messages are the problem or challenges for parents and the audience. Instead, the presentation, storytelling and manner in which these messages are presented is wearing on the audience, especially the parents. And that's my point with box office results being down.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you though that there a lot of people who like division. There is a lot of money in making people angry with each other.

We are going to have to agree to disagree that these messages are the problem or challenges for parents and the audience. Instead, the presentation, storytelling and manner in which these messages are presented is wearing on the audience, especially the parents. And that's my point with box office results being down.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you though that there a lot of people who like division. There is a lot of money in making people angry with each other.

Admittedly, there can sometimes be a lack of subtlety these days and some movies do try to beat you over the head with some very on-the-nose messaging - but Strange World does not do that. It really doesn't make a big deal out of any of it, which to me is the better way to handle it.

Admittedly, there can sometimes be a lack of subtlety these days and some movies do try to beat you over the head with some very on-the-nose messaging - but Strange World does not do that. It really doesn't make a big deal out of any of it, which to me is the better way to handle it.
I feel like if any recent Disney movie has very on the nose messaging, it would be Zootopia. But I barely heard anyone complain about that at the time. I just find it so disheartening that, similar to Lightyear, people are getting so worked up over seeing an LGBT character in a movie. Disney's LGBT rep admittedly isn't great (this is coming from someone who is LGBT) but those characters do not make a movie "political".

I feel like if any recent Disney movie has very on the nose messaging, it would be Zootopia. But I barely heard anyone complain about that at the time. I just find it so disheartening that, similar to Lightyear, people are getting so worked up over seeing an LGBT character in a movie. Disney's LGBT rep admittedly isn't great (this is coming from someone who is LGBT) but those characters do not make a movie "political".

Right - just having them with no commentary shouldn't be seen as politcal at all. They just exist, as they do in real life. It's no different than when they started using non-white characters, even in *GASP* lead roles. Strange World does not have overt messaging on the subject. It does have messaging on environmentalism, but it's very allegorical and not on-the-nose. To me, that's how it should be done. The movie has other flaws, but the harping on these issues just doesn't reflect the actual content of the film.

Right - just having them with no commentary shouldn't be seen as politcal at all. They just exist, as they do in real life. It's no different than when they started using non-white characters, even in *GASP* lead roles. Strange World does not have overt messaging on the subject. It does have messaging on environmentalism, but it's very allegorical and not on-the-nose. To me, that's how it should be done. The movie has other flaws, but the harping on these issues just doesn't reflect the actual content of the film.
exactly... we live in a diverse society, people want to see themselves reflected in characters, it should not be 'political' to have a person of color... or a person who is non binary or LGBT as any character, supporting lead etc. It seems that some folks are essentially just being mad they they exist, as it seems to have little to with their actions in a particular film, but just that they are there at all.... it is sad that there are folks threatened simply by the inclusion of others.

I just think the era of watching animation in the theaters is over.

It's so expensive to take a typical family to the movies. You could buy a year of Disney+ by the time you paid for 3D tickets, popcorn, candy, drinks, etc. for a family of 4.

If it's not a blockbuster, families just aren't going to go.
That's pretty much where I am as far as theaters go...unless it's a movie that's more of an event like Marvel and Avatar, I don't see a reason to rush to the theater to see it. I just wait and see what streaming service it winds up on in a few months...

That's pretty much where I am as far as theaters go...unless it's a movie that's more of an event like Marvel and Avatar, I don't see a reason to rush to the theater to see it. I just wait and see what streaming service it winds up on in a few months...
Yup, that is us too, not many movies I cannot wait a few months for to come to streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter