Stroller for 4yrold almost 5

Maleficent2

DIS Veteran
DS will be one month short of 5 when we go to the World in June.Should we take his stroller?Or just rent one in the parks?(what about germs do they clean those strollers?)

Mal

I'm taking my own from home for my 2 kids. We are driving so it's no hassle to throw in the car. I know we could've rented one down there, but why pay the extra money? If you bring one from home, you know if your child will be comfortable in it, also, you won't have to worry about germs. I'm totally the mom that sanitizes high chairs, carts, etc... it totally grosses me out!

Leah :)

Well, I don't get so grossed out about the germs, but I do get grossed out about the prices of stroller rentals. :)
When we took our DD, who was 5 at the time, we did take our own stroller (we flew - but just checked it like luggage). It came in handy a LOT of the time. And even when she was not riding in it, we used it to carry all of our "stuff. :)
Last year, when our youngest was 8, was the first time that we "did Disney" without a stroller.

Check out this link for more stroller info.

Link

I personally would opt for bringing your own stroller.

I think we will take our own.Have not decided if we are flying or driving yet.Would love to fly it is about an hour flight but we have to drive to Nashville(1.5 hour drive) or an 8 hour give or take drive.I opt for flying but it depends on what the airfare is going to be.Just sprung this trip on DH and gotta proceed with caution LOL

Mal

Maleficent2, we were there in January, and the price of stroller rental had jumped to $16 for a double. We forgot to pack the umbrella stroller, and had I known ahead of time, I would have stopped at Walmart or Target for an inexpensive one. We ended up spending almost $100 for rentals for our 5 days there. Never again.

The price for a single stroller is $8, and the doubles rent for $15. You get a Disney dollar once you return your receipt for your stroller. They are wiped clean before they are sent out in the morning, but they aren't sanitized. You only pay once per day for the rental, and not per park. Comes in handy if you are park hopping.

We always take our own....our almost 5 year old enjoys the breaks and my wallet enjoys the savings....

CMChristy, I stand corrected. I was thinking it was $15 after you got your deposit back. Still, that adds up to a lot of Disney dollars over a week, enough for a really nice meal. Next time, we won't forget our little stroller.

We go for two weeks at a time; that adds up really quickly for the rental fees. Also, by bringing our own, we don't have to wait in the lines to rent and return the strollers. It also gives us the flexiblity of having one at places where you can't rent one like at DD or other resorts.

my dd is 4 1/2 and rarely uses her stroller anymore, but I will still be bringing it along - it's a lot more walking than she is used to, and it's handy for storing stuff - Plus I just can't bring myself to pay $8 a day for a stroller. If we are wrong and she doesn't need it, then no harm done, we can just leave it in the car/room the following day - but if we left it home and she did need it, that's a lot of $$ for an uncomfortable looking stroller.

Bev

To CMChristy -

Did Disney just start giving back a Disney Dollar when you return your stroller? We rented strollers while in the parks in June and were not given this upon returning our stroller. We head to Disney in two weeks and will be renting is this something you need to ask for?

Thanks

We brought our son twice with the same umbrella stroller (at age 2 and 3) - and even though its the last thing he wants to see these days (he'll be just 4 when we return this fall) I'm bringing it again. I know he'll run out of steam at some point and want to have "a free ride". I'd consider the ones at the parks but having our own comes in handy everywhere else - and all those other times are usually when we use it most. I picked up a decent umbrella stroller on sale (2 years ago) for $12.99 at JCPenney. It has a flip up "roof" for when you need it & folds up quickly for the bus rides- then I went to Toys R Us and got a mesh bag to hang off the back for all the little things - umbrella/ponchos/wipes/souvenirs etc. and we go. My only problem will be if he no longer fits in it this year.

No, Disney didn't just start doing the Disney Dollar thing. You get a Disney Dollar refund upon returning your stroller and the receipt. IF you still have those receipts, you can still turn them in. If you are park hopping, make sure you hold on to the receipt until you are done for the day, then get your refund. If you hold on to the receipt from park to park (for the same day) it will get you another stroller at no extra charge. If there are any other questions, please ask!

Christy, I need to verify, the single stroller price is $8 and the double is $15? And then a dollar is returned when you turn in the stroller and receipt?

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the info. Christy. It seems that when we checked back in our stroller at the park closing it seemed that the CM was in a hurry to get the strollers. So I guess I should ask for the refund.

Also I will look to see if I still have those receipts.

Thanks

My ds will be 5 in June. We are heading to Disneyworld for 6 days following our Disney Magic seven day cruise (I am so lucky.) Anyway, we will be driving down there, so I would like to take a stroller for my son. We rented for $8.00 every day on our trip last year (but we flew down). My concern is that the stroller he used when he was little is not recommended for over 40 lbs, and the umbrella strollers I have looked at says the same thing. Can you recommend a stroller for a child that weighs 45 lbs+? Thanks.

My son is 5 and a big boy. The strollers on the market just are not big enough for him and the umbrella strollers are too short for us to push comfortably (we're tall!) The ones that most theme parks and zoo rent work out fine.

8 more days and a wake up!

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter