Success booking VGC at 7 months

LucieR

Earning My Ears
I was wondering how much success people had had booking a studio at Grand Californian as a non-owner ie 7 months?

Also, as we plan on doing DL May 2022 how do you think all the banked points floating around will impact availability?

Lastly, does anyone have any tips to increase chance of getting a reservation?

We plan on going for my 40th and have been planning this for years, so we’re not flexible on dates. I know there’s a good chance we’ll end up staying elsewhere, but using our points at GC is our absolute ideal.

T

We were super lucky booking March of 2019 at the 7 month mark. I was checking the availability randomly and found 2 consecutive days on March 3rd and 4th. Without hesitation I booked...didn't tell my wife until it was all booked! She was ecstatic! We wanted to try to get another day in so I waited listed March 5th. About a 3 weeks later the waitlist for March 5th came through! Its not impossible!

From what I've read March gives you the best chance of having any random days at the 7 month mark. May may be tougher. Then waitlist any other days you may need! And always, always, always check the availability randomly! If you really want a studio you have to be very flexible with dates. Good luck!

VGC is arguably the most difficult booking to get at 7 months, no matter what time of the year it happens to be. Whatever space is left at 7 months, tends to disappear almost immediately after the 7 month window opens. People do get in, but almost always have to waitlist or be flexible enough to grab last minute cancellations. IMO, chances of getting in at 7 months are very small.

Three years ago we booked VGC right at 7 month mark for the Mon-Fri of Memorial Day week, arriving actually on Mem Day. Had no issues but did book as soon as window open and we did a 2 bedroom unit and know, in general at most resorts, they do not go as fast. In normal times, I know CA schools do not get out until first week of June. We live in FL and ours finished the Fri prior to Mem day so were able to make it work an did not feel the crowds were that bad (this was when they still had old fast pass system). They did have grad nights going on during that time -guess CA students get free tix or something, someone else can explain better than I! - but found that was towards the end of the week and they seemed to go into park later at night. Just our experience and like we all have said about SO many things right now, I am not sure we can rely on any past trends to determine what vacations post 2020 hold :|

If it’s non-negotiable for you, I’d consider getting a transfer in of VGC points-you can rent your points to pay for it. You are looking at the most competitive unit size at the most competitive resort.

I have only tried once, which I think was 3 years ago (IIRC) for 2 nights in mid Dec before the holidays. I was up early right when 7-month window opened and snagged an 1-bedroom at 8AM EST. Unfortunately, our plans for that year changed and ended up cancelling the reservation. Good luck.

LAX

One bedrooms are much easier, but still go quickly at 7 months. if you can afford it point wise, you are in better shape. How many days do you need? Are you willing to switch rooms/hotels? When’s your Use Year and are you borrowing points? If you have flexibility to cancel partial dayes if it doesn’t work out (points not borrowed, stay before or close to banking deadline) I’d book what I could and put in single day waitlists. I’ve gotten weekends 4-5 months out at VGC by checking the site multiple times a day and snagging a day here, a day there. but if you have a 4 night stay and you get nights 1 and 3, obviously that’s not going to work. But maybe you’ll get nights 3/4 and then get 1 and then 2 and now youve got it all. Or hopefully you’ll get lucky and get them all right off the bat. I think you have the right idea, hope but not plan on it. There is no $95 fee to stay at the DL hotels, but be aware once you book those with points, you can’t change the points back if VGC becomes open.

We booked VGC last year for April (Covid cancelled), then rebooked for Nov (Covid cancelled), now we are booked for April 2021. I just hope the Gov let's them open, allows out of state visitors, and that they are selling tickets to the parks. I am sure that we will be able to stay at the resort, if they are open. My only concern are the last 2 things.

We have had pretty good luck getting the reservations, but we are very flexible with our dates. Since my wife and I can go on vacation just about anytime with 7 months notice, we just wait for a time to open at 7 months and try for the reservation. If we had a very specific date we wanted, then I would say that we would more than likely not get the reservation. If we are less specific like we would like to go in March, April, or May then we would more than likely get something. Plus we can take any time off that we want like we can go a Wed to Wed or Tues to Tues. We are not limited to Mon - Mon like many are. The more limits you have to put on the reservation the more likely you are going to have problems getting the reservation. With our Nov reservation we were unable to get the 1st 2 nites and the waitlist did not come thru, even with all the Covid cancellations. So we were just going to get a room at the Candy Cane Inn and then move to VGC.

Own at SSR and BWV. Live in Cali. I've never really had issues booking at 7 months for my daughter's birthday at VGC for a few days. Her birthday is off-season tho. I did wait list once and it did come through. We've probably have stayed at VGC at least 8-10 times since we've been members. Between studios, 1 bdrs and 2 bdrs. A couple of years ago I had points that were going to expire, so I was able to score a 2 bdr for a couple of nites for just my wife and I in less than 7 months. I actually canx a 1 bdr for her birthday for 2 nites that would be in a few months cuz DLR isn't open. We switched to WDW and are doin' a S/S at the Riv and VGF. Super stoked we switched ! Good luck. It can be done, you just need to be vigilant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter