Suggestions for NONpark activities - week before Christmas (10 y/o boy)

pmanko

Mouseketeer
We are going for a week and are planning on a low key (low budget) trip! We just went to US and SeaWorld over Spring break and are planning on doing a week long WDW trip in 2018 so this trip we are laying low ( and saving $$).
We like to go to DS for an evening and getting dinner - maybe try out Disney Quest? I like the idea of exploring the resorts too - we always feel so rushed when we stay onsite to get to the parks that we never seem to enjoy the resorts.
We'd be game for a smaller park too - that isn't too far out - I was thinking Silver Springs but it is about an hour or so away...
I do believe we will try to go to Busch Gardens one day too...

My same aged son LOVED The Orlando Eye, wax museum and sea life. It made for a nice day. Sometimes you can find combo deals on Groupon and I do believe it's less expensive to purchase online. They also have a skeleton museum within the same complex that looked neat but we didn't do that-however I've seen Groupon deals for the skeleton museum as well.

I think Disney Quest closed and if not I wouldn't spend any money there anyway (my opinion). They do have a new bowling place in Disney Springs. Also, have you thought about buying tickets to Mickey's Christmas Party? That would be a fun and less expensive way to enjoy a night at the parks.
I would highly recommend BG, especially their Christmas Town. The Kennedy Space Center would also be fun.

Originally, I thought we would do the MVMCP - it's what we did back in 2010 when we stayed offsite - but, it would be $300 for us three to go for 5 hours!? I don't think we could really cost justify it with our travel budget this time as much as I'd like too.
I will keep my eye on Groupon and take a look at The Orlando Eye too.
I didn't realize the BG would have Christmas town - that should be fun! I do love the parks all decorated for Christmas!

One of the hotels (Gaylord Palms?) does an ice park of some sort in December, at least they used to. Mini Golf is a fun option as well, I've played at all of Disney's courses and they're great. Cape Canaveral is great, but it's a good hour plus drive. (And DisneyQuest is no more.)

Silver Springs used to be a small theme park operation, but the operators cancelled their contract a few years ago, the state park system took it over, and scaled it back. It's more state park than theme park now, but they still have the glass-bottom boats, which were the only worthwhile thing about the place anyway (glass-bottom boats in one variation or another have been at Silver Springs since 1878, making them the oldest commercial tourist attraction in Florida). It's super-duper cheap, too. Also, check out Fat Boy's BBQ about a mile west of it. It's unassuming outside, but very delicious inside.

As others mentioned, Disney miniature golf, visiting the different resorts - possibly lunch reservations at one, then using Disney transportation to visit others.

You'll get good bang for your buck touring the WDW resorts. Be sure to hit Grand Floridian and visit the life-sized gingerbread house. I highly recommend trying a shingle. The Yacht and Beach club also have great decorations, very kid-friendly with a big train display, I believe, at YC. AKL is also a must-see, for the amnimals AND holiday decorations. We try to hit the monorail resorts in the evening and stop at Contemporary to watch Holiday Wishes from the 4th floor balcony. You could also make a day touring Fort Wilderness. People decorate their trailers. Maybe rent a golf cart for a half-day (second half so you have it in the evening). You can go to their archery classes, see the MK horses in their stables, watch a movie with Chip and Dale, make s'mores, eat at Trail's End, etc. You could rent a surrey bike instead of golf cart if you prefer, but either way, reserve now.

As you plan, be careful. Most non-park things in Orlando take just part of the day, and when you add together several of these, it can easily add up to more than a theme park admission. Maybe look into state parks in the area. There's also the Florida Natural orange juice plant that should be in full swing that time of year. They offer tours; I've never taken one but have always wanted to.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter