• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for stay at LegoLand and SeaWorld?

CableKC

DIS Veteran
I was planning on going to LegoLand and SeaWorld during the July 4th week for the first time and was trying to figure out if its better to stay at a hotel near LegoLand ( in Carlsbad ) or SeaWorld.

My wife, 3 year old Son and I usually like to stay in a moderately priced hotel that is clean, in a nice part of town that is somewhat fancy. I don't mind paying up to $150 a night...as long as the place is worth it.

During the summer...is the weather in San Diego hot?

Any suggestions?

For those that have gone to both in one trip....which one has better hotels to stay at?

I was thinking of staying near SeaWorld since the Park opens up earlier...but wasn't sure which is better.

If you'll be traveling between the Sea World and Legoland areas during the week, you'll probably get stuck in commute traffic on I5 - if it were me I'd plan to move partway through. But it depends on what else you'll be doing - if you're going to be spending time near downtown San Diego doing things other than Sea World then stay somewhere near there...if you're spending more time in North County, then stay closer to Legoland.

I don't think you'll find "somewhat fancy" in San Diego for $150/night...especially not 4th of July week. But I really don't know much about hotels in San Diego since I live here. There's lots of hotels in Hotel Circle that are close to Sea World and downtown, with chains like Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Residence Inn, Comfort Inn, Doubletree, etc. The Bahia hotel on Mission Bay is supposed to be fairly nice...there's also a Hilton down there. The Catamaran is good/not-so-good depending on who you talk to.

The weather in San Diego CAN be hot...but it's not likely to be...especially since you'll be staying close to the coast. Mid-70s during the day is more typical for that time of the year, though it can cool off a lot at night (especially at Sea World), and you'll probably want a light jacket.

We just stayed at the Holiday Inn Sea World. Had a 2 room suite for $135.00

Included 2 tv's/ Kids had one adults had the other..

Kids ate free at the Bakers square across the parking lot.

My BF and I and our 3 kids loved it. Did not use the pool though. too cold .

We highly recommend it..

I agree with PP. Ideally I would choose seperate hotels. If you will be going back and forth and everwhere in between, maybe choose something centerally located. I'm thinking LaJolla, but that might be pricey for what you are looking for.

When we do 'downtown' San Deigo (SeaWorld/etc) we like to stay at the Hyatt LaJolla. It's away from the touristy stuff, more reasonably priced then other nice hotels in the area (because it is a bit inland, and right off the freeway). -- Up at Legoland there is a Marriot Courtyard about 3-5 minutes away. We were quite pleased with it, and got a rate of (IIRC) $80ish through priceline. I know their usual rates are significantly higher. If you are eligable for a government/military discount, you could check into that as Marriot sometimes has pretty good rates for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter