Suggestions for WL visit?

disneycrazed139

DIS Veteran
We are staying at Wilderness Lodge in November for the first time --the villas, that is.

We are planning on NOT going to parks but just taking advantage of the resort and area. Any suggestions for things to do around the resort and very locally? Any suggestions on things not to miss at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge would be appreciated. We think it will be really nice in November when it is a little cooler. We've been over to the casual restaurant for fun. Wouldn't mind any information from owners there or others who have enjoyed this resort.

Thanks for your comments on location, food, little nooks and crannies not to miss!

You can watch MK fireworks from some areas(we had a good view from room).

Do the "ranger-led" tour of the property! I also might suggest taking the boat to Fort Wilderness for the buffet breakfast. No characters, but great food at a reasonable price. We plan to try the dinner buffet this December. Have a great time!

VWL is my home resort. You are going to love it and there is a lot to do:

• The "ranger" tour of the lobby
  • Rent a boat and go out on the lake
  • Rent bikes and take advantage of the nature trail, it leads to Ft Wilderness and the petting zoo, head over to Trails End for lunch. You can also walk the trail, it is about 1.5 miles and the weather in November should be great
  • There's a rubber duck race everyday in the lobby
  • There is a boat that runs between the WL and the Contemporary, you can head over there for a meal, or pick up the Monorail and head over to the Poly or GF

Vew from balcony of 5530 at VWL

vwlview.jpg

Pick up a hidden mickey map from the front desk. Then go on a hunt to find them there at the resort.

Watch the water parade on Bay Lake in the evening (if it's not raining).

Take the free "tour" of the lodge.

Take the boat over to the Contemporary hotel and check out the gift shops (I always buy a chocolate Mickey turtle over there). Then ride the monorail around to the Poly and the Grand Floridian.

Look at all the train pictures in the villa's lobby. Also don't miss the train cars on loan from the Disney family in the villas lobby.

Check out some board games from the Mercantile and play them on the oak tables in the villa's lobby.

Go sit in the 2nd floor seating area above the main lodge's entryway and relax. There's a fireplace and it's so cozy. We consider it our "spot". Also look at the artifact display cases on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the entryway.

Cook out one night on the beach (they have grills by the boat/bike rental place)

If you eat at Artist Point and choose the buffalo steak (yummy) be sure to have it cooked medium. Buffalo is tough if it's overcooked. We enjoyed our meal very much at Artist Point. I want to try the salmon next.

Go down to Ft. Wilderness and eat the the Trail's End Buffet. As someone from the south (Atlanta) they have something very near and dear to my DW's heart, sweet tea! It's the only place we know of at WDW to find it!!

Rent one of the Boston Whaler Montauk boats. They seat about 6 and are an absolute blast. (Don't forget to ask for your AP or DVC discount.)

Don't miss dinning at Whispering Canyon. (But don't ask for sweet tea!)

Chill in the comfy chairs in the lobby. I could sit their and stare up at the beautiful architecture of that hotel for hours.

Most of all have fun!!

Daggett---

If weather permits, we walk over to Fort Wilderness for the lunch. Once we found a large pinecone at the beginning of the trek and kicked it all the way back to VWL. Simple minds........

On our last trip there we only went into the parks 2 days out of 5. All the above tips are great. I hope you enjoy! :flower:

If you take that walk over to FW early in the morning, you can see deer along the way. It's about 0.8 miles over on the path.

Ask about being the "Flag Family" when you check in! :jumping1: We got to do it last March and it was lots of fun! You and your family get to go to the top of the lodge onto the roof and help Stan raise the flags! :jumping1: We took some great photos up there! It was great! If you get to do it, tell Stan "Hi"! :rotfl:

Take a tour of the resort.

Go over to Fort Wilderness and take part in some of the activities there.

Rent a boat.

Rent bikes to bike aorund the property.

Swim.

Watch the Electric Water Pageant at night form the beach.

Boat to the Contemporary...from there you can do the monorail hotel tour...as a DVC member, you can pool hop to the other resorts' pools if you choose (except for Stormalong Bay at the Y&BC & the pool at the AKL).

We enjoy the mini golf courses, but of course, you'd be leaving the immediate hotel area for that.

We enjoy walking the Boardwalk in the evening.

We enjoy walking DTD in the evening.

Thanks so much for all these great suggestions. They all sound great, and I know I won't be at a loss as to what to do. I am really exicted to have a kicked back non-park vacation!

jacksmom said:
Ask about being the "Flag Family" when you check in!
Do you ask when you check-in or at Guest Services? How early does the flag get raised?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter