Suggestions regarding a die cut machine for a newbie

mommajo143

DIS Veteran
Hi all! New to the world of these little machines - needing suggestions. DH says I can have one for my upcoming BD. I had thought I would get a cricut but DH spent time looking at reviews & says the silhouette cameo is better. I am in unfamiliar territory. I have $150 saved plus $150 for my BDay. I can save another few weeks if needed ... I'm a basic type person but DH is talking about blades, cartridges, downloads, etc & honestly overwhelming me. What machine do YOU own? Love it? Hate it? What machine do you WANT ... Why? Need help!!!!

I'm interested in one too, so looking forward to seeing the responses. (Any particular machine has access to the most disney characters , silhouettes, mickey heads etc?)

So I took the plunge and purchased the silhouette cameo. I've loved it- still have lots to learn but definitely figuring out via blogs, DIS boards, and you tube. You don't have to buy & store cartridges instead you can use clip art & JPEG files (often free) or download silhouette designs for 99¢...

Lead me not into temptation....

Overstock has the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutting Machine + Vinyl Starter Kit Bundle for $199 today.

Do I need an early Xmas gift so I can make everyone else's gifts? I do, don't I? :rolleyes1

I also have the Silhouette Cameo... Isn't it amazing... I love that I can use my own fonts and can create my own svg files or find free ones online.

I have owned all the Cricut machines (except the newest one the Air) but by far my Silhouette portrait and cameo are by far my favorites!!

I hope you are having fun with your machine and all the creations you are able to make!!

I have a Cricut expression and love it. The cartridges can be a little pricey, but being able to piece together Disney characters or make boxes and bags is awesome. So this is an electric cutting machine with cartridges. This was $225.

I also have a Cuttlebug more for card making. Again the dies can be pricey, but I love using it along with stamp images. So this is a manual crank machine you use with metal dies to cut or folders to dry emboss. It's a lot like a Big Shot but smaller. This was $80.

Buy the one that works best for your crafting.

This is an old thread but I'm new to the cameo. Have you found any silhouette disney files to share or learned any tricks? This is all so new. I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to figure it out.

There are a lot of sites that have Disney SVG files. You will need the designer edition of silhouette Studio in order to open them. Silhouette sells it for $50 but if you shop around, you can probably find it for closer to $25. You can also trace images - I've found that searching for coloring pages on google images are the best to trace to create your own files to cut.

This is an old thread but I'm new to the cameo. Have you found any silhouette disney files to share or learned any tricks? This is all so new. I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to figure it out.[/QUOTE}

One of my favorite ways to cut Disney shapes is to use dingbat fonts like Mickey Ears Extra.

Miss Kate Cuttables also has some SVG files that are good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter