Suggestions/tips on taking a 3 YO DD with PDD-NOS???????

Walt's#onefan

Earning My Ears
I am taking my 3 year old DD with PDD-NOS which is on the Asperger's spectrum. Her sensory issues deal with waiting in lines for more then twenty minutes,or in compacted areas with a large group of eople i.e. people invading her personal space,is afraid of characters/people touching her,and spinning things/rides. So I was wondering if any one has any tips on taking kids with this disabliity???

I've taken my ds every year since he was 3 and he has alot of the same issues. I would suggest going during off season, touring at her pace, having a stroller to give her a place to unwind, avoid character interaction (my ds would see from a distance--now he will get a little more involved but it has to be on his terms and when he's ready), you may want to get a GAC to allow you to use the stroller as a wheelchair so you can keep it in lines. Or a GAC may help with finding a quiter area to wait.

Honestly even considering all of this things WDW is the best place for my ds and I to vacation....we keep going back because of the familiarity for him. There are still many experiences I have not experienced at WDW yet, but every trip is like a new experience. Every visit he's a little more confident than the last.

I'm sure others here will have great tips for you as well...Best of Luck.

You came to the right boards! Many of us with children on the spectrum share our experiences and tips. One thing that worked for us was that we watched the vacation video you can get from Disney plus we taped the Great hotels episode that had the hotel we were staying at and watched that which helped immensely. We also took afternoon breaks and just took our cues from him. We learned early in the week not to get our hopes up to see everything but were very pleasantly surprised at how much we actually could do (we did'nt have to leave one restaurant!). You'll have the most wonderful time.

There's some wonderful suggestions, here, and I cannot overemphasize the value of a GAC. Also, I'd suggest a favourite toy or activity for the busses and waiting times, and ear plugs or headphones so that they can tune out the noise a bit.

Good luck on your trip!

My family has been together 6 times in the past three years, with my son who is Aspergers/OCD.

What has worked for us and may help:
Get the GAC first thing. Gosh, the meltdowns that we've avoided since we learned about it. Trip 4, 5 and 6 went so much better than the trips prior!

I suggest spending the money to rent the WDW strollers, unless you've got a stroller with a sunscreen (no umbrella stroller). The reason why the Disney strollers work well with my son is that he is 'cocooned' on three sides, cutting out much of the visual stimuli. If you are bringing your own stroller, make sure it surrounds her. Better yet, if you can lay it down for her. Son is almost 8 and is too big to sleep in the WDW strollers, but likes to lay down. We try to bring a towel or small throw to cover if he needs it. Except for the ones at MGM, the strollers are big and easy to push!

If she likes hats, a ball cap or a hat with a brim will be a good addtion. My son doesn't like the feel of a hat most of the time, but nearly every picture in WDW has him wearing his space mountain ball cap. I think he picked it out and so readily wears it in Florida is because it cuts out more of the visual distractions.
Now that he wears glasses, I can get him to wear the sunglasses.

Resist any temptation to be a park commando. What has come to work best with my son is to do two days in the parks, have a swim, relax, drive around kind of day and perhaps a few hours at Kindercare while mom and dad shop at Downtown Disney. He likes the structure of the kindercare. The non park day really recharges him and helps us have a better time in the parks.

Don't drag her through all of the shops in Downtown Disney in one trip. We get about 3 or 4 shops, max. This last trip, we stayed at the Courtyard and liked that we could jump over here and there, instead of making the massive trek that ends badly. My three solo trips I've made in the past year I have enjoyed leisurely shopping because I know not to subject my son to it. If you feel you must shop, perhaps you and your husband can switch off evenings going to DTD while daughter sleeps. (Open til 11pm!)

We find that we get a lot of mileage out of the character meals. Then again, my son really likes the characters, especially the face ones. If characters are scary to her, it is easy to avoid them.

Plan sit down meals and take the time to eat. Grab and go is hard on the pdd kids, they need the recharge from sitting down. Our tactic is usually a small breakfast in the room (fridge filled with yogurt, fruit and milk), then an early lunch at a sitdown. MK is the one park that we've been skipping that. At AK, we get the counter food and sit for a long time.

Which brings another point...if she's as picky as my son when it comes to food, try to have some of her favorites on hand in your room.

Another thing that's not really pdd related, but fun. Last February, a coworker gave my boys goody bags for the trip. (sons were 3 and 6 at the time) They included disposable cameras. These were such a hit that I went and bought more at super wal mart, and now pack our WDW backpack with at least 2 for each boy. It was a great diversion and we discovered that our boys have good eyes...and my AS son probably could make a living as a private investigator with all the pictures on the sly, out of the side of the stroller!

I know I've been long winded, but I wanted to get as much info to you as I can!

Happy planning.

Suzanne

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the camera as well....it was worth the money on film. The first couple times we used disposable, then I bought him an inexpensive one of his own. It really keeps him occupied and has helped him get closer to the characters. Somehow he feels saver on the other end of the camera.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will get the gaC. Due to DD also being profoundly deaf, loud noise isn't an issue. Also due to her severe CP she uses a PANDA CHAIR. IYHO(in your humble opinion) what are the best/worst attaractions for an autistic child at three years old???

hello again! Now this all transpired last night but it may help you. My DS is deathly afraid of the plane. I already spoke to the doctor and we are going to give him something for the plane. Well he heard me making plane ressies the other day and was freaking. So yesterday I printed lots of pictures of the pool area at the Poly where we are staying. Well he got so excited. We having been talking about the trip non-stop since. Now this is a miracle. But maybe you could go onto the website of the hotel you are staying at (if it's Disney hotel, www.allearsnet.com has great pictures.

Hi Walt's#onefan,
My DS has been to WDW 2x's. He loved the monorail, Buzz Lightyear, It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribean. The key is not to be a park comando. We spent 3 hours in the morning at the Park, then went to the hotel for lunch and relaxation. Then returned again later to one of the other parks. That seemed to work well for us.

If he's the only child, let him pace you. Go into the parks on early entry day if possible, off season.I had laminated pictures of the rides and attractions for each park on a ring that I attached to my belt, they were in order of the maps in the back of Unofficial guide. He could see what was next and the pictures helped me more than the printed out list so I could see at a glance where I was headed to next. I eliminated all the stuff that he wasn't interested in. I dropped it after the first trip. We didn't need it. My son was never affected by loud noises, but it scared to death of face characters including Santa. He's bounced with Tigger, danced with Minnie, and gave Grumpy a hug. Always let the child pace you with the characters-if they interact with Mickey from 12 feet away, Mickey will do the same(waving bye,cover eyes, etc) Have another adult that will take pictures of this. People have commented on my pictures because I don't have the traditonal "smile and say cheese" but the Tony and Minnie touching each other's cheeks. I have one of Tony sitting cross legged eating a Mickey ice cream bar-he hates ice cream except for that one item. Bring along some food if he's picky but read up on the allearsnet.com menu board for your stops--try the character buffets-Tony enjoyed croutons, strawberries, and bacon more than once--now he eats everything in site-so the buffets are now worth the $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter