Summer Incentives

The next round of incentives beginning 5/30 will be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of the Resale podcasters are trying to scare people into thinking it will be taxed. I suppose we will all find out if we are issued 1099s in January or so. But my understanding is that it is a rebate, and not taxed.
I asked my guide to clarify this exact point before an add-on with MB. She spoke with management and confirmed that the rebate check(s) are not taxable as income.

I asked my guide to clarify this exact point before an add-on with MB. She spoke with management and confirmed that the rebate check(s) are not taxable as income.

That’s interesting because Canadians are excluded from MB. When I asked my guide why he said it was tax related. If it’s just a rebate not sure why Canadians are excluded.

Here is the breakdown.

View attachment 776467

$27,465 for 150 points is $183.10/point. If you give up your first year of points (can be 2022 or 2023 points, depending on use year) you also get a rebate of $22/point ($3300) bringing the total to $161.10/point before closing costs.
Is the welcome home credit the same for Riviera?

so, if I were to buy direct, get an August use year, take advantage of magical beginnings and get paid back for my 2023 points....could I plan a welcome home trip April 2024 and borrow the 2024 points that won't come until the next August? thanks for the helpful info!

so, if I were to buy direct, get an August use year, take advantage of magical beginnings and get paid back for my 2023 points....could I plan a welcome home trip April 2024 and borrow the 2024 points that won't come until the next August? thanks for the helpful info!
Yes as long as you're buying at least 150 points you can take advantage of Magical Beginnings. BUT if you hurry, you can get paid back for your 2022 points and then just use the 2023 points for the April 2024 trip. You need to get moving, like NOW, as you're running out of time to get Magical Beginnings on the 2022 points. Here's rhe fine print on that aspect:

"Purchasers must communicate their decision to participate in this offer to Developer at four (4) calendar days prior to the end of their first Use Year."

Has anyone been able to spread payments over 90 days recently? I was told 60 is the max they can do (was supposedly verified with supervisor). We're doing a larger purchase so I was wondering if they didn't like to push bigger amounts past 60. It's not the end of the world but my credit card reward strategy was all based on doing 4 payments (deposit plus 30/60/90) vs 3.

Yes as long as you're buying at least 150 points you can take advantage of Magical Beginnings. BUT if you hurry, you can get paid back for your 2022 points and then just use the 2023 points for the April 2024 trip. You need to get moving, like NOW, as you're running out of time to get Magical Beginnings on the 2022 points. Here's rhe fine print on that aspect:

"Purchasers must communicate their decision to participate in this offer to Developer at four (4) calendar days prior to the end of their first Use Year."
Thanks! I put August, but September works for us too. Just making sure I could use those points in April of next year if we did Magical Beginnings!

Has anyone been able to spread payments over 90 days recently? I was told 60 is the max they can do (was supposedly verified with supervisor). We're doing a larger purchase so I was wondering if they didn't like to push bigger amounts past 60. It's not the end of the world but my credit card reward strategy was all based on doing 4 payments (deposit plus 30/60/90) vs 3.
We purchased in the middle of June and were allowed to spread payments over 90 days.

We purchased in the middle of June and were allowed to spread payments over 90 days.

We purchased last month and did the payments over 4 pays as well.

Ugh...why are there so many inconsistencies between guides? If our guide said he checked and was able to get 60 days approved (magically after he originally said 30 was the max per his supervisor) is it worth pressing for 90? It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to spread it over another month and have smaller payments.

Ugh...why are there so many inconsistencies between guides? If our guide said he checked and was able to get 60 days approved (magically after he originally said 30 was the max per his supervisor) is it worth pressing for 90? It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to spread it over another month and have smaller payments.
Yes, if you want 90 days. I got 90 days when I purchased in June.

I found with my guide, who was overall pleasant, I had to be very firm with the 90 days.

He kept offering throughout our call suggestions to pay it over less than 90 days, and I kept saying things like "let's do this over 90 days". My suspicion is they have to be able to say the only way the deal would get done is if they spread the payments over 90 days. He never offered the 90 days, I inquired to him about it, and really to be honest more told him that this is how I would like to pay than inquired.

After the purchase was complete, he congratulated me, and said I made a really smart decision spreading the payments out over 90 days. He also had a good enough relationship with his supervisor that he was able to do the purchase first, and then get the approval from the supervisor after the fact. I really got the sense they only do these 90 day payments if the customer makes it very clear that's what they need, and aren't willing to consider anything else.

When/if I purchase my next contract, I plan on saying I'll do it the same way we purchased last time.

The 30 days is typical and anything beyond that does require them to seek approval. I have done 60 days a few times but last year, did push it to 90 days.

My guess is that it’s not just the guide but maybe others who could be telling them to push back on the 90 days, especially since it’s now all over the internet.

if you really want it, tell your guide that and that if it can’t happen, you will need a few days to consider.

I found with my guide, who was overall pleasant, I had to be very firm with the 90 days.

He kept offering throughout our call suggestions to pay it over less than 90 days, and I kept saying things like "let's do this over 90 days". My suspicion is they have to be able to say the only way the deal would get done is if they spread the payments over 90 days. He never offered the 90 days, I inquired to him about it, and really to be honest more told him that this is how I would like to pay than inquired.

After the purchase was complete, he congratulated me, and said I made a really smart decision spreading the payments out over 90 days. He also had a good enough relationship with his supervisor that he was able to do the purchase first, and then get the approval from the supervisor after the fact. I really got the sense they only do these 90 day payments if the customer makes it very clear that's what they need, and aren't willing to consider anything else.

When/if I purchase my next contract, I plan on saying I'll do it the same way we purchased last time.
My guide did the same thing. Offered 30 days then I asked about 90 days. Agreed to 60 days since I was using the Disney Visa & Discover cards with 0% anyways for a limited time. Guess it’s a YMMV situation with your guides.

We bought our first contract (resale Poly at 150/pt) in December. Thought I’d never buy direct but these prices were too good to pass up. Bought a 150 pt Grand Floridian contract last week for 28,149.15 after closing costs and will do the magical beginnings to get that price down another 3300. We spread the payments over 60 days and my guide confirmed twice that we don’t pay taxes on the 3300 for what it is worth. We may end up selling the Poly contract in a couple years and just keep the direct one.

Canadian law may treat it differently somehow.

Nothing in particular. There's clarity from CRA that income from accommodation sharing (e.g. AirBnB) is rental income, which needs to be claimed but can also have rental expenses deducted against it... but much like the US treatment Magical Beginnings is more of a reduction in cost basis than actual "rental income."

Granted Disney tends to err on the side of caution for these things, so DVD might not want to risk IRS saying a tax withholding should apply to the MB payment for foreigners.

...but I digress. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter