Summer wet/season shoes

OldeSkuller

Earning My Ears
I need some suggestions for men's shoes.
I have been to DW in the summer before and you get soaked in the rain, as do the shoes.
There is nothing worse than walking in soggy shoes.
So, I am looking for some suggestions regarding men's shoes that are great for walking at DW in the summer, and dry quickly.
But I have to say that I am not a fan of sandals, or flipflops.
Is there anything out there?
And or do you have personal experience with shoes that fit the needs here?

DH wears closed toe Teva sandals if we know it's likely to rain longer than a 30 min afternoon storm. (He says the closed toe makes him feel like he's not wearing sandals.) Other than that we pack extra socks in a ziploc and wear sneakers. I'd check out Merrell, Keen and Teva to see if anything appeals to you.

You mention you’re not interested in sandals, but the problem with regular shoes is the drying of them. I’ve never had a pair of tennies get wet and not get mildewed unless you dry them in a dryer, but then you run the risk of them becoming unglued or otherwise falling apart.

I wanted to recommend Arcopedico, a brand I buy (I’m a 70whatever woman) but when I looked they don’t specifically sell men’s shoes which is a bummer as they’re washable. My guy and I both swear by Chaco’s, but again, while better than average sandals (IMHO), well, they’re sandals.

I’ve seen people wearing crocs in the rain, which on the surface would seem like a good idea, but if they’ve been worn for a while, the grids on the soles wear down. My personal experience is on certain pavements I’ve had close calls nearly falling on my keister due to slipping, so never again unless they’re new.

Good luck on your quest.

You mention you’re not interested in sandals, but the problem with regular shoes is the drying of them. I’ve never had a pair of tennies get wet and not get mildewed unless you dry them in a dryer, but then you run the risk of them becoming unglued or otherwise falling apart.

I wanted to recommend Arcopedico, a brand I buy (I’m a 70whatever woman) but when I looked they don’t specifically sell men’s shoes which is a bummer as they’re washable. My guy and I both swear by Chaco’s, but again, while better than average sandals (IMHO), well, they’re sandals.

I’ve seen people wearing crocs in the rain, which on the surface would seem like a good idea, but if they’ve been worn for a while, the grids on the soles wear down. My personal experience is on certain pavements I’ve had close calls nearly falling on my keister due to slipping, so never again unless they’re new.

Good luck on your quest.

I've successfully dried running shoes with a hairdryer in a WDW hotel room. They were SOAKED. We had to wade through about 4 inches of water one night during a storm.

OP, my adult boys wear crocs. They swear by them.

I wear mesh Skechers go walks. They make them for men too. Easy slip on, super comfy, and designed to be machine washed, so they can get wet and dry quickly.

I've successfully dried running shoes with a hairdryer in a WDW hotel room. They were SOAKED. We had to wade through about 4 inches of water one night during a storm.

OP, my adult boys wear crocs. They swear by them.

I wear mesh Skechers go walks. They make them for men too. Easy slip on, super comfy, and designed to be machine washed, so they can get wet and dry quickly.

Yes that is part of the problem. I once wore regular tennis shoes which had memory foam inside. Those soles would never dry out, and started to smell bad on day three of Disney. I was embarrassed and uncomfortable.
I'm almost thinking about getting a cheap pair of tennis shoes(vans) and taking out the manufactured soles inside. Perhaps I could then just replace them with insoles. I could take some extra insoles and socks with me and change them out? I don't know
I keep looking at the closed toe sandals hoping to find a pair that I like.
Too bad no one makes aqua-shoes with a good walking sole inside. I already bough a pair of those, which looked the most like a regular shoe but unfortunately once I received them they hardly had any cushion on the bottom. There is no way I would survive 14 miles of walking for four or five days in those.

Yes that is part of the problem. I once wore regular tennis shoes which had memory foam inside. Those soles would never dry out, and started to smell bad on day three of Disney. I was embarrassed and uncomfortable.
I'm almost thinking about getting a cheap pair of tennis shoes(vans) and taking out the manufactured soles inside. Perhaps I could then just replace them with insoles. I could take some extra insoles and socks with me and change them out? I don't know
I keep looking at the closed toe sandals hoping to find a pair that I like.
Too bad no one makes aqua-shoes with a good walking sole inside. I already bough a pair of those, which looked the most like a regular shoe but unfortunately once I received them they hardly had any cushion on the bottom. There is no way I would survive 14 miles of walking for four or five days in those.

It's a good idea to get a couple pairs of Dr.Scholls inserts and a lightweight pair of running shoes. Most running shoes are made with lightweight mesh materials and rubber outsoles so they would dry fast. Vans are the LAST thing I'd bring. They are so heavy and the canvas will take a long time to dry, not to mention they offer zero support.

I love my Tevas. They may not be the most stylish, but they're as comfortable as sneakers, my feet stay cool, and the pair I own are made to get wet.

Forgot to add: For our 2010 trip we bought LL Bean "Vacationer" shoes that look kinda like the Sperry Harbormasters, but sadly they were discontinued.

It's a good idea to get a couple pairs of Dr.Scholls inserts and a lightweight pair of running shoes. Most running shoes are made with lightweight mesh materials and rubber outsoles so they would dry fast. Vans are the LAST thing I'd bring. They are so heavy and the canvas will take a long time to dry, not to mention they offer zero support.
I suppose you are right. It’s been a very longtime since I’ve worn any type of tennis shoes so I don’t remember that vans are heavy. I just remember wearing a pair in my late teens.
I normally wear dr martins, but I don’t think leather will do for hot and wet Florida, and shorts lol.

I love my Tevas. They may not be the most stylish, but they're as comfortable as sneakers, my feet stay cool, and the pair I own are made to get wet.
I’m assuming you wear them without socks, if so do you think walking in them without sock for 10-14 miles a day be ok on the feet? I have never worn any shoe without socks, so curious. Lots of walking at DW.

Update: I decided on the Columbia "Drainmaker IV".
It looks like a good cross between a sneaker and a rain shoe.
Hopefully I made a wise choice. Time will tell.
How did your shoe choice turn out? FWIW, I wear Toms and Sperrys to the parks. Yes I wear them sans socks so I bring multiple pairs to avoid them getting too smelly but they dry out fast and are very comfortable.

Waterproof On running shoes work amazing for rainy days. We got them for an Iceland trip and they stayed waterproof stepping in ice cold glacier puddles.

I have several shoes that can easily get wet without problems. My favorite so far is my Crocs Beach Line Boat Shoes because they're comfortable to wear and not very expensive. My second favorite will have to be the Columbia Drainmaker IV.

My husband and I are both fans of Merrell's waterproof shoes. They come in a "sneaker" style and are lightweight while still being supportive. I do love my crocs, but avoid them because they can be slippery on wet pavement. I just ordered a croc-like Merrell shoe that has great reviews for hiking on wet trails.

is there any good ideas for water shoes, just for some quick water rides? like i will wear my good sneakers to the park, use a locker, then when its water ride time, switch to some not too expensive water shoes, get soaked, then switch back to the sneakers. any idea? thanks

Vessi shoes are amazing and very comfortable. Looking forward to trying them at Disney they have done a great job walking dogs in the rain.
Water shoes - just a cheap Walmart pair does the job for me

Crocs. There’s super comfy and waterproof and technically not sandals lol. We keep a small towel in our park bag and dry them if they get wet. My whole family wears crocs to the park. Last trip while walking world showcase the skies opened up with more rain than I’ve ever seen. With our crocs it was so easy to just walk thru the water and dry them off when we got to the monorail. We saw people complaining about their soaked, squishy shoes and how their feet were blistering from it and ours were dry. Crocs are the best shoe for Disney touring IMO.

I need some suggestions for men's shoes.
I have been to DW in the summer before and you get soaked in the rain, as do the shoes.
There is nothing worse than walking in soggy shoes.
So, I am looking for some suggestions regarding men's shoes that are great for walking at DW in the summer, and dry quickly.
But I have to say that I am not a fan of sandals, or flipflops.
Is there anything out there?
And or do you have personal experience with shoes that fit the needs here?
Such a good question - I wouldn’t have thought of this and was just going to wear tennis shoes. 🤦‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter