Sun sensitivity

mickeyfanz

Mouseketeer
I am coordinating a group trip to WDW and one of my friend's mother has a sun sensitivity problem and was worried about having to stand outside in lines. I recall reading on here at some time that you can get a GAC for this condition.

Has anyone on this board ever been to WDW with this problem and used a GAC? Where do they have you wait for rides? We figure that our group can go through the regular line and then hopefully they can reunite her with the group when it is our turn to ride. Is this how it works?

Also, can you get a GAC at Downtown Disney's guest services or just at the parks?

Hi, mickeyfanz!

I have gotten a GAC for sun sensitivity (medications cause me to have problems), but I only had to use it once in a while, as most of the queues are shaded pretty well. You just show it to the CM and they will direct you where to wait out of the sun.

You and the person who needs the GAC need to show up at Guest Relations and tell them about the sun sensitivity. I would guess that Guest Relations at Downtown Disney could do this too, but I don't know as we've always gotten ours at the parks.

I too have medication related photosensitivity. As Figaro said, overwhelmingly the queues are shaded. In the rare instances that you need to wait in the sun, you will either be given a shady place to wait or a card with a time to return so you can wait on your own in a place that is OK for you. The two places that come to mind that are occassionally problems for me are the Haunted Mansion (hc guests sometimes need to wait by the hearse in the sun) & the Diamond Horseshoe but I am fine with the GAC.

Also, I cannot recommend Fallene brand sunblock enough. It has made a big difference for me. I get it at Drugstore.com. It is a sunblock that has the regular block stuff in in plus physical block. The "clear" works for the very fair skinned (it is in fact light skintone), or there is a version where you can tint it as needed. It feels kind of weird going on in that it's like applying a thick foundation all over and it does need to dry, but it really works. I have not gotten sun poisoning since I found it. So despite the cost and gloppy application, I am a big fan.

:wave: Cupcake

You can only request a GAC at the parks as far as I know.
As for the queues, almost all are shaded or covered, so staying out of the sun while in line will not be that difficult. The bigger problem will be staying out of the sun while not in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter