• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Super frustrating experience yesterday

DizneyMommy

Every Day is Disneyland Day!
I am the first to “roll with it” If it’s crowded we just eat and shop and enjoy Christmas or Halloween or the little things we don’t often do. But yesterday was a serious exercise in patience.
All I wanted to know was what time the castle lighting and snow moments would occur. We were hot and tired but wanted to wait for the first one after the 3pm parade. The app said nothing. I asked multiple CM’s who ranged from “I have no idea” to “no snow anymore.” In all my years as an AP (25+) I have never had a CM say I have no idea and not even try to get the answer. Growing pains, new staffing, ok I get it. I eventually found a lead who went all the way to Entertainment 1 who said castle lighting and snow moment at 5pm. Weird, not quite dark yet, but E1 said so must be true. Right? She worked hard to find that answer, it took her 30 minutes. She said the CM guides didn't have times in them either, hers had some items listed for Christmas but no times. We got dinner early and stood around and waited… and waited. 5pm came and went. The flag came down, the tree was lit, no snow. No castle. There was a 5:30 parade so by 5:15 we decided to cut our losses and leave before getting stuck in that and never saw snow. We would have left after the 3pm parade had we known.

Is it a huge deal? No. Did it ruin my life or even my day?No. But it was the first experience we’ve had where I really felt like something has changed and it’s not just the pandemic or staffing. How can no one in the park know the entertainment schedule? Not even the head of entertainment who is literally responsible for it? Are new CM’s being trained differently where saying I don’t know and walking away is an acceptable form of guest service? I don’t believe this has anything to do with limiting crowds at this point when people are packing in for parades and fireworks. Disneyland managed to throw together this extra ticketed Christmas event, but they didn’t seem to plan for the daily guest entertainment. Trying to do too much with not enough staff perhaps?

Are new CM’s being trained differently where saying I don’t know and walking away is an acceptable form of guest service?

You've hit the nail on the head. In fact, CM's aren't being trained at ALL anymore in guest service. They're also not being screened before hiring the way they used to be. So it's a double-whammy, and we get stuff like this.

I was at WDW a couple of weeks ago and asked a CM what we all know is the most common question they ever get--where is the nearest bathroom? The response floored me: "I dunno." Luckily another nearby CM overheard and pointed to a corner nearby (yes, within eyesight which was embarrassing to me for having asked the question, but should have been embarrassing to the "dunno" CM).

Until things change at the top, this is the new Disney. And even if there is change at the top and a new boss who dedicates huge amounts of leadership energy to reinvigorating Disney's culture of excellent guest service, it will take a long time (at the very least a year) to begin to recover.

I am the first to “roll with it” If it’s crowded we just eat and shop and enjoy Christmas or Halloween or the little things we don’t often do. But yesterday was a serious exercise in patience.
All I wanted to know was what time the castle lighting and snow moments would occur. We were hot and tired but wanted to wait for the first one after the 3pm parade. The app said nothing. I asked multiple CM’s who ranged from “I have no idea” to “no snow anymore.” In all my years as an AP (25+) I have never had a CM say I have no idea and not even try to get the answer. Growing pains, new staffing, ok I get it. I eventually found a lead who went all the way to Entertainment 1 who said castle lighting and snow moment at 5pm. Weird, not quite dark yet, but E1 said so must be true. Right? She worked hard to find that answer, it took her 30 minutes. She said the CM guides didn't have times in them either, hers had some items listed for Christmas but no times. We got dinner early and stood around and waited… and waited. 5pm came and went. The flag came down, the tree was lit, no snow. No castle. There was a 5:30 parade so by 5:15 we decided to cut our losses and leave before getting stuck in that and never saw snow. We would have left after the 3pm parade had we known.

Is it a huge deal? No. Did it ruin my life or even my day?No. But it was the first experience we’ve had where I really felt like something has changed and it’s not just the pandemic or staffing. How can no one in the park know the entertainment schedule? Not even the head of entertainment who is literally responsible for it? Are new CM’s being trained differently where saying I don’t know and walking away is an acceptable form of guest service? I don’t believe this has anything to do with limiting crowds at this point when people are packing in for parades and fireworks. Disneyland managed to throw together this extra ticketed Christmas event, but they didn’t seem to plan for the daily guest entertainment. Trying to do too much with not enough staff perhaps?
Same here. I’ve experience a lot of situations like this lately - things that aren’t the end of the world, but noticeably less than magical. At this point, it feels less like “growing pains” of starting back up after the closure, and more like the new (lower) standard.

I was at WDW a couple of weeks ago and asked a CM what we all know is the most common question they ever get--where is the nearest bathroom? The response floored me: "I dunno." Luckily another nearby CM overheard and pointed to a corner nearby (yes, within eyesight which was embarrassing to me for having asked the question, but should have been embarrassing to the "dunno" CM).

Backstage at Disneyland there are posters in the Cast Member areas that say something to the effect of “Remember, although it may be the 40th today time you are asked “where is the bathroom”, it is the first time THAT guest is asking.”

While these kinds of experiences are frustrating, especially when compared to the very high CM standards of the past, I have to think it has more to do with the current job market than with Disney. If staffing down there is anything like here (Boise), then just managing to have enough employees show up to open the parks is a monumental feat. I own a small business and recently had a couple employees quit. Put out a job listing and instead of the usual 20-30 applications I would get I instead received one.... one! So I had no choice but to hire the one person who applied and make do. This seems to be the case all over the country, so I'm sure Disney is dealing with the same issues and trying to make the best with the staff they can get. We as visitors just have to accept the current staffing environment, laugh off the annoyances and roll with it like you guys did!

If this is the New Normal, the prices should reflect that.
True, but if they're happy with attendance numbers and other sales, there's no reason for Disney to lower prices or improve guest service standards. Guests have to speak with the wallet before anything will change.

Sad way to run a business but Disney is now the same level as any other theme park or big chain (Six Flags/Cedar Fair/Sea World/McDonald's/Walmart). Money first, guest service last.

Last edited:
Backstage at Disneyland there are posters in the Cast Member areas that say something to the effect of “Remember, although it may be the 40th today time you are asked “where is the bathroom”, it is the first time THAT guest is asking.”
Yep and that is the way it USED to be... having worked at the park years ago (2003-'09), so many things have changed. We were not allowed to say "no" or "I don't know" (and if the answer was no, it should be worded in a positive way and offer a service solution.) No leaning, no hands in pockets, no grouping with other CM's, etc.... It wasn't military but it was providing a great environment for guests.

Smile
Eye Contact
Respect and
Value the Magic
Initiate Guest Contact
Create Service Solutions
End with a Thank you

I get it, times have changed, it's just sad Disney was previously known for their high level of guest service which is nearly gone expect for a small number of CM's.

Last edited:
Yipes. I am sorry you had that experience, and it is a sad state of affairs. I expect that sort of service when I go to other theme parks, but not Disney - that is what distinguishes Disney from other venues. People still seem to be flocking there, at least for now, but I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

Poorly Trained, Inadequate Staffing and Service by a Company that has Prided itself on
Magical times …is an Epic Disney Fail.
The Disney experience is no longer magical or even special. It's Industry Standard.

So, does anyone know when the castle lights up? Tree lighting 5:30 Small world 5:15, Castle no time listed…
"I dunno" ;)

*Update- just checked Disneyland app and it says 'Wintertime Enchantment' with picture of castle snow lights at 7:30pm and 8:15pm (have to click on park attractions map, change drop down to 'Entertainment' and then click on little magic hat icon near castle, or showtime list) They really hide times :earsboy: glad it's listed now though!

The lights might turn on before then but I think that's the mini-show times with snow and announcement played around the hub area.

Last edited:
"I dunno" ;)

*Update- just checked Disneyland app and it says 'Wintertime Enchantment' with picture of castle snow lights at 7:30pm and 8:15pm (have to click on park attractions map, change drop down to 'Entertainment' and then click on little magic hat icon near castle, or showtime list) They really hide times :earsboy: glad it's listed now though!

The lights might turn on before then but I think that's the mini-show times with snow and announcement played around the hub area.

I can confirm that the 8:15 time is accurate for the mini show, as we were walking by last night and they were doing it. They definitely turned off some of the lights and turned them back on with the show/announcements.

Yep! 7:30 & 8:15pm. Thought I’d include a pic of the app showing the two show times. Sorry the CMs couldn’t figure that out for you! Was it not on the app yesterday? So bizarre nobody knew the schedule.CFFB6370-43C3-4C9F-96A4-9C0F36C23E58.png Hope you can catch it today! :)

I talked to a character host about things like this once and for that team, they all carry the schedule for their area. However, depending on the day, the leads will tell them to either give out information related to character times or to lie to guests saying they don't know or that it's random. They are more likely to be told to not give guests any information on weekends and larger crowd days. Sometimes, things in the schedule do change so they genuinely don't know. For example, if a performer doesn't show up to work, there will be a schedule change but since the schedule the character hosts gets is printed out in the morning, their schedules will not reflect these changes.

On the entertainment side, the process should be similar as people who work the show and guest flow will obviously need to know where and when they are needed. Audio visual teams are not supposed to tell you this information although it's rare you'll see them out and about anyway. But even if someone is in entertainment, they often will not have the schedule for the entire park, only the area that they are working. Again, they could be forthcoming or not but I believe they are also sometimes told to lie to guests about having the schedule.

Given that you were asking about the castle lighting, it's possible that they didn't know what show you were talking about as it is apparently referred to as "Wintertime Enchantment". It can be rough the first few days of a new season because new CMs would not be familiar with all the terminology and even CMs with experience may have forgetten what stuff is called after not working Christmas season last year.

Welcome to the new janky disneyland. The issues you speak of are everywhere from the app to the hotels. Truly incredible the product they are putting out for the cost. It's staggering far they've fallen from our last trip during Christmas 2019. They should be ashamed of their quality. Yet, we're the suckers who keep funneling them money. I'll add the Monorail is a complete disaster. Thing was never running each time we passed by. It's a microcosm of the state of Disneyland.

Sometimes I wonder if the CM's just don't care. We were in WDW at the Caribbean Beach Skyline station and the line for Rivera was huge. I asked a CM if there was another way and was told no. I found out later there is a walk from CBR to Rivera. I have a hard time believing the CM at the CBR Skyline Station didn't know about the walkway so that is why I say the CM's just don't care.

I found that this is the type of attitude I got at Disneyland when went a few years ago. If CMs were being brought in from there, I could believe so is the attitude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter