• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprise for friend?

sramille

Mouseketeer
I'm dragging my friend(26) to WDW for the first time this November. I want to surprise her with something nice as sort of a "thank you" for putting up with my planning insanity. (and, she just let me add another day!) I had thought of the Luau, but I've read terrible reviews about the new version. Any suggestions?

You don't have to book it yourself - many other DISers have room on their boats and open them up for sharing. Once the cruises go on sale, check out the thread for Illuminations Cruise - November at the top of Theme Parks forum.

I shared ours with 3 other couples and we had a great time!! :teeth:

Buy her a few drinks at Pleasure Island or the Boardwalk. My friend did that for me on my last birthday, and it was much appreciated.:drinking1

(No, I'm not a drunk, I'm really not, but when you do go out it is nice not to have to do the math)

Melissa

Let's see, if someone was going to surprise me with something nice, what would I want?

Illumination or Wishes cruise is awesome

Character meal, maybe Cinderella's Royal Table?

Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian (pack a tiara for this one, and yes, I wore a tiara to tea :))

A nice meal at one of the sit-down restaurants, Le Cellier, Brown Derby or Sci-Fi

Depending on budget, Hoop Dee Doo is fun

or La Nouba, that would be an awesome night!!

Let us know what you decide!

I agree with Jody-Tea at the GF is so nice.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm so disappointed with the reviews I've seen for the Luau. It's the perfect idea since I know she wants to see one, but it's pretty expensive to be unsure.
I've read good things about the Illuminations cruise. At first, I thought it was more for couples, but it looks like lots of families go. Heck...we'd have a great time just watching any little ones that were on the cruise with us!!! This could be a definite possibility.
I would love to see La Nouba, but she grew up in Vegas(and we'll be there in August) so that's not the kind of surprise I'm looking for.
HDD is great, but I did it last year so I'm looking for something new.
Still don't know what I'm going to do....probably the cruise or another dinner. I always starve her when she comes on trips with me...just sitting down for dinner would be a big surprise!!! (who has time to eat at WDW?)

The Illuminations Cruise can be anything you want it to be. Hubby and I did it for our 20th anniversary lone and it was awesome. I did it with the family (8 if us, 7 adults, 1 3 YO) and I am doing it in October with hubby and a bunch of friends (mostly solos).

The boats tie up underneath the bridge between France and the UK. At least one of the boat drivers has his own comedy act going. He is very entertaining.

If you really want to try the luau go for it. There are lots of opinions and usually the negative ones rate a post more so than the positive experiences.

Make sur you tell us what you decide :):wave:

I remember horseback riding at Fort Wilderness when I was a kid. Do they still do that? I think that's something that she hasn't done, but would like to.

Don't know if it's too late to chime in or not, but how about the Segway tour of the World Showcase before it opens.......That along with La Nouba is on my list for our family trip in 2 weeks. The Segway tour is our thankyou to our babysitter (been looking for a partner for that tour since it started).,,,,,,,,

Still haven't decided. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Luau again. I figure, even if it's disappointing, she'll still understand what my goal was.

The horseback riding is a definite possiblity. I know she would love to go riding and I don't think either of us has gone since we were kids.

I like the Segway idea too!! She would get a kick out of riding one of those things. And, it would be the option that cuts into our touring time the least.

HMMMMMM.....

I'm surprising a friend and chose an Illuminations Cruise. She is going nuts trying to figure out what the surprise is :)

Have a great trip!

The Luau was a big disappointment. For $50+ per person the food was blah and the show's "story" was slow moving. It was also hot and buggy when we went. The fire dancer was good, but there are alot better ways to spend $50+ per person!

Well...now I think another friend will be at WDW with her 3 yr old daughter while we're there. I'm thinking I'll invite them to the luau with us. I'm sure the little one will get a kick out of it and we'll probably enjoy it more with her there.

And, I'm still considering the Illuminations cruise for everyone.

And, I mentioned the Segway tour to my friend this past weekend and she loved the idea so I've booked it and we're doing that too!!!

This board is a bad influence on me! I do all this research and come up with more and more ideas that I don't want to pass up!
Thanks again for the suggestions!

I have to be contrary and say I liked the new Luau. I went to the old one in '87 as a kid, so I was skeptical about the new one. The food is okay (not worth the money when there are so many other good restaurants), but I enjoyed the show. At first the story line was a little hokey, but it picked up and the dancing was great. If you have a little one, check ahead and see if you can be seated up closer to the stage. We had two couples, so we didn't bother, but we were seated all the way at the back where there was the most traffic...somewhat distracting. It would have been better to sit up front. Plus, you pick up your tickets at the Polynesian and get to experience that neat resort. They also do pictures of your group when you come in, and then the have them ready to buy before you leave. We had no intention of buying them, but they turned out so good. Now we have a great memento of our evening with our friends. I think you'll like it. Just don't expect too much from the food.

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter