Swapping borrowed points for OTUP

smileyanna

Mouseketeer
Just had a waitlist come through (BWV in November, yay!). The waitlist request borrowed from my 2025 October UY, as I'd indicated.

I'd rather not have a deficit in 2025, though it's not awful. Can I buy OTUP now and apply those to the November '24 reservation, and bank some of those 24 points into 2025 to get back to even?

(I searched the boards for a similar question/answer since I am sure this has been asked often before. Happily, I learned a lot about banking, borrowing and OTUP in the process! But didn't see the answer to this one.) TIA

OTUPs can be purchased only when making a reservation that will use them and then only at 7-months out or less. And you need to call to get them.

The only way you could get OTUPs for that already made November reservation is to first modify the reservation to take out a day or days and aopplicable points and then try to get those days back with OTUPs. Something that may not work when only 6-months out (e.g., take that day or day out of existing reservation and room could go to someone on a wait list before you can add days back with OTUPs).

Last edited:
For the experts: Could the OP call MS, purchase OTUP while making a dummy reservation, then cancel the dummy reservation and then modify the Nov reservation to use the OTUP freeing up points that could then be banked?

For the experts: Could the OP call MS, purchase OTUP while making a dummy reservation, then cancel the dummy reservation and then modify the Nov reservation to use the OTUP freeing up points that could then be banked?

Yes, that’s exactly what one could do…they’d need to make the fake night for a date Oct 1st and later to be sure the OTU points are in the Oct 2024 UY.

Cancel that and then modify the current November trip and reallocate in the OTU points….to free up the 2024 points.

Yes, that’s exactly what one could do…they’d need to make the fake night for a date Oct 1st and later to be sure the OTU points are in the Oct 2024 UY.

Cancel that and then modify the current November trip and reallocate in the OTU points….to free up the 2024 points.
Thanks for confirming.

Thank you team! This is what I needed to know. I probably also need to get comfortable borrowing!!

The 2024 points could get freed up but the borrowed points need to be used in the UY they are borrowed into, right? The OTUP wouldn’t help free those up to move them back to their 2025 UY, right?

The 2024 points could get freed up but the borrowed points need to be used in the UY they are borrowed into, right? The OTUP wouldn’t help free those up to move them back to their 2025 UY, right?
Correct. The best that could be done would be to free up current year points that could be banked into 2025. Unless a very kindly CM answers the phone and feels like tossing significant pixie dust on OP’s account!

Yes, the cure may be worse than the disease here -- I just don't like the feeling of having borrowed for some reason? It's just a few points!

Yes, the cure may be worse than the disease here -- I just don't like the feeling of having borrowed for some reason? It's just a few points!
I feel your pain! We have 2 UY and picked up a last minute reservation this for weekend And I borrowed almost all of our ‘25 points to make it happen 😳 Messing with my head as our other UY has a surplus lol

I feel your pain! We have 2 UY and picked up a last minute reservation this for weekend And I borrowed almost all of our ‘25 points to make it happen 😳 Messing with my head as our other UY has a surplus lol
Wow that's an amazing last minute pull, enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter