• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swimming in the Winter

bmdq89

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at CBR from the very end of Jan. to the beginning of Feb. I have read the pools are heated, but does anyone have more info (or experience) about swimming in the winter. Our boys are moderately tough, but they aren't superheroes. Thanks.

We will be staying at CBR from the very end of Jan. to the beginning of Feb. I have read the pools are heated, but does anyone have more info (or experience) about swimming in the winter. Our boys are moderately tough, but they aren't superheroes. Thanks.
Without heat, the water will likely be around 70ish or lower that time of the year. I know mine is.

That's far too cold for me but I'm a wuss.

The pools are heated and comfortable, but they will close them when temperatures reach the mid-50's. How comfortable your kids will be depends on where you are from. We're from Wisconsin and my daughter enjoyed swimming in December/January. We always packed sweats to get to/from the pool area and not freeze. If you're from a warmer climate, it might be too cold for you.

In the pool it will 82, it is getting out that it will be COLD.
😢 The only winter we have, is when you are coming🤣.
They will close the pool per union for the lifeguards sake if it is in the 50's.
We have thin blood.

We're from New England -- DD has been in the pool in December and February. Sometimes we've been the only ones there. I agree with PP that your comfort level for swimming may depend on where you are from.

It takes some very nasty weather to keep people out of the resort pools, even in the winter. Our grandchildren were swimming when the weather was in the high fifties in early February one year. :) The pools are usually kept open, although the feature pools may be closed in bad weather.

It was pretty cold in November for us to go swimming but we are from the south.

We were there in February last year during a cold spell and we were still in the pool! We're from the Northeast though - so 55-60 degrees can feel warm to us!

We have been coming to WDW for many years during late Jan-early Feb and our son swims most of the trips but the walk back to the room can be brutal. Several years ago when our son was about 9, he had a great time in the water but turned blue on the walk back to the room and was shivering so much he could barely walk. His daddy scooped him and quickly carried him back inside. We still tease him when he wants to swim in the cold and tell him we are not carrying him back inside if he is freezing (He is almost 19 and as big as his dad now😁)

We're from New England -- DD has been in the pool in December and February. Sometimes we've been the only ones there. I agree with PP that your comfort level for swimming may depend on where you are from.
I can't tell you how many times we were the only ones in the pool as the lifeguard watched all bundled up in full winter parka gear. Unfortunately, I often had to get in with her when she was younger since there were no other children for her to play with. Brrr!

My DD became a competitive swimmer and when she was in high school we had to find a place for her to train while on winter vacation. Her coach, an Olympic Gold Medalist, required it. We stayed at the Swolphin for their lap pool and also arranged for her to swim at CSR's lap pool when we stayed at AKV. I think the lifeguards thought her to be even more insane to be doing her practice laps in the cold. She also practiced at the YMCA near Sea World, but at least that was indoors.

Same state, but South… we re 84 today. Pools are typically heated well. I recall years back coming from the cold north to Fla and going to swim in winter. The lifeguards had on what looked like Snowsuits. We laughed so hard.
now… I wear a sweater in the mid 70s lol. I get it.
Id bring bathrobes for ur littles.
have a great time making memories.

I swam last Jan in three pools.
Grand Floridian- main pool absolutely freezing. Small pool a bit chilly but bearable.

poly- big pool freezing. Small pool very nice.

Riviera: both pools amazing temperature. I was swimming in the small pool in like 48 degree weather and it was so warm.

we brought robes with us for warmth on the walk back to the room, they worked great!

We saw kids swimming in the pools at Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Movies over Thanksgiving!! The lifeguards were bundeled up in snowsuits and it was COLD - as in 50's cold!

A few years ago during marathon week, me and my friend went swimming at the hippie dippie pool at pop century. Air temp was high 60s, pool was much warmer. Oh, we were the only ones in the pool and they still did trivia.

I did go swimming during a chilly November trip when I was a kid. I was the type that would swim regardless of weather - if there was a pool open I was in it. When you're in the water it's fine, getting out is a bit unpleasant.

First of all, I am from Michigan. Second, it's not a trip to WDW unless we go swimming in the pools every afternoon. Our last trip in December we had sunny days and low 70's temperatures. (it was 10 below when we left Michigan) We were the only ones in the pool but I can tell you it was great. I believe they told me the pools are kept heated to the mid to upper 80's. We loved it. My only problem was the lifeguards standing around in coats, scarfs, mittens and sweat pants. It looked like they were ready to shovel snow, even though it was 72. I asked one guard how they heck they could save my life if I started to drown in all that clothing and he replied, "Sir, the pool is 4 foot deep, stand up." I laughed. Oh, by the way, I got a great tan too.

I've stayed at CBR in January. The weather was highs in the low 60s and upper 50s. I did attempt swimming once. The water itself was an ok temperature, but getting out was horrid. Not a comfortable experience at all. I did not enjoy it and didn't try it again the rest of the trip. I wouldn't bank on swimming that time of year unless you're really committed to a polar experience as you exit the pool lol.

They have started closing pools below a certain temperature, but that's not until 50ish.

The pools are steamy when it's cold outside. (it makes me unable to understand swimming when the pool is *colder* than the air temperature LOL)

If it is cold, though, you want to have a plan for getting out. You'll want extra towels, a short walk to the towels, and something warm to put on. And if you have long hair, it doesn't feel great when your hair is wet and it makes your neck cold.

January and February can be truly anything. One January marathon weekend it was incredibly cold to start, and by the Sunday it was 80 before noon. Pack for anything, bring underlayers and overlayers. Puffy jackets and bathing suits. Warm gloves and sunscreen.

Without heat, the water will likely be around 70ish or lower that time of the year. I know mine is.

That's far too cold for me but I'm a wuss.

The pools are heated to 80+. When you're IN the water it feels amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter