Switching Things Up: A Disney Lover's First Time at Universal - March 2021

Thanks for the report! Since CoVid we have been going solely to Universal- once in December at HRH and once in February at RPH! Going again at the end of April to RPH again. I love the EP!! We have seasonal passes and have rooms booked at SF and don’t mind not having EP because we planned to do the meetup so no need to cram it all in! I thought that would be a great time to try a non premier resort but not sure if that trip will happen now...

anyway it’s great to make little trips to escape and Uni is perfect for that! Thanks for the doubletree info - always good to have options and I’ve been wanting to go to Millers Ale House over that way and hope to walk (at least there lol). Keep us posted on future travels!

I had to laugh because COVID really changed our touring. We went to Universal for the first time in years in July (my youngest is finally big enough for most of the attractions) and we also did Disney. We still had fun at Disney even with all the cutbacks (paying full price for tickets for half the experience was only made tolerable by the low crowds at that time but I know that its much different now with crowds) but Universal was awesome. We thought the experience felt much more complete with COVID. We also gave a slight edge to Universal in terms of safety measures and the employees seemed genuinely happy to be back to work. Disney was nice, but some of the employees seemed downright terrified and it just didn't have the same feel (except for Galaxies Edge). We had a wonderful long weekend trip to Universal in November and are going again next month on a split Universal/Sea World trip. I am a little sad to not be doing Disney, but they just don't seem to want our business after all these years.

We adore Sapphire. We always enjoy our stays there for many reasons, not least including Strong Water Bar which for us is the best bar in Universal Orlando Resort. Hard to beat it for many reasons.

The resort is just wonderful and has everything you need for a longer or shorter stay and if you are still considering there or Cabana Bay, go with Sapphire every time. You can visit CBay for some pool time if you wanted if Pool hopping is back, but it is a far superior resort in lots of ways.
Good news! Just booked Sapphire for a lagoon view in August :) can't wait! We'll probably be staying at Cabana at least a few times for weekend trips or HHN so I wanted somewhere a little nicer for my birthday and Sapphire looks lovely. We'll be 21 as well so we can enjoy Strong Water!

Yes I was referring to the OI Meetup!! We went for one night in December but it was the first weekend and think they have made some adjustments to help with food, waits, etc. if I go again I’d splurge for both nights of the weekend!!!

I just came across your TR and read it in its entirety!

First off, the pic of the two you in the beginning....so lovely!

We were a Disney family for many, many years. My bonus daughter even did the Disney college program. Much to her dismay, we converted about 4 years ago. I spent hours upon hours planning Disney trips; it was like a second job! And of course the constant price increases, additional hard ticket events for dessert parties and holiday parties, etc., it became too much a labor of love. Emphasis on labor!

We were then invited on adult-only ontrip with my cousin and wife to UO. They'd been passholder for years. We somehow finagled a babysitter for our younger daughter and off we went within 3 weeks. I swear I had panic attacks! I knew nothing about Universal. Where would we eat? We didn't have "ADR's". What about fast passes? My cousin's wife tried to assure me...did I trust her?

Fast forward to present - we've been passholder since that very first trip. Upgraded our tickets the 2nd day in. Pre covid we were visiting twice a year, a week plus at a time. Maybe we are just getting older now, but we enjoy the laid back touring, not having to know 120 days out what we want for dinner on day 2.

I agree whole heartedly about USF and IoA. I much prefer USF. The feel of the different cities, the use of water back drop, the landscaping. It gives me a peaceful at home feel. Our daughter (younger) may disagree. She enjoys IoA more. And oldest...well...she's a Disney fan girl through and through.

Well this was just suppose be a quick "hey! thanks for the TR. Photos are great & really appreciate the food reviews(typically my favorite part!)"

Looking forward to reading your next adventure.

Just read through your whole trip report and loved it! The Grogu in the window picture is just fabolous! Glad you enjoyed your first Universal trip so much!

Some thoughts on your comments:

I Iike the theming/setup in both parks equally but for very different reasons. To your point, I agree that USF just has some many more places to SIT and relax and "enjoy the view" all around the lagoon in different places. But on the flip side (outside of Diagon Alley) I feel the theming from place to place is pretty homogenous. At IOA, I find there isn't as many places just to sit and relax (as compared to USF) but I LOVE the distinc theming of each land. From the colours of Suess Landing, to the weathered old look of Lost Continent, the lush foliage of Jurassic Park etc.

I know so many people complain about Universal having too many "screen based" attraction, I fully agree with your point that Universal (for the most part) just does them so well with integrating them in the rides that it ADDS to the immersion as opposed being "annoying". How they blend the live sets/themeing in rides like Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Spider-man and Transformers is just stunning and they are some of my favourite attractions in the world. FJ is probably my favourte ride anywhere, and gives me goosebumps every time I ride it (and I'm sure I've been on it over 20 times).

For your upcoming trips you'll love both Sapphire Falls and Cabana Bay. Sapphire Falls feels definitely feels more upscale and I love the pool area. Cabana Bay we also love so much as we love the retro theming vibe and we love both of their 2 different pool areas, and we always get in a round of bowling whenever we go!

We were a Disney family for many, many years. My bonus daughter even did the Disney college program. Much to her dismay, we converted about 4 years ago. I spent hours upon hours planning Disney trips; it was like a second job! And of course the constant price increases, additional hard ticket events for dessert parties and holiday parties, etc., it became too much a labor of love. Emphasis on labor!

This is so us! We have a love hate relationship with Disney. We still love it, but we have also become very disenfranchised with it at the same time. We just spend less time and money there and have branched out to other parks. We are LOVING our Universal AP's! As the "planner" it has been liberating for me!

This is so us! We have a love hate relationship with Disney. We still love it, but we have also become very disenfranchised with it at the same time. We just spend less time and money there and have branched out to other parks. We are LOVING our Universal AP's! As the "planner" it has been liberating for me!

YES! SO liberating!

Yes I was referring to the OI Meetup!! We went for one night in December but it was the first weekend and think they have made some adjustments to help with food, waits, etc. if I go again I’d splurge for both nights of the weekend!!!
I’ll definitely look into it then! Based on what I was reading about it seems like a cool event.
I just came across your TR and read it in its entirety!

First off, the pic of the two you in the beginning....so lovely!

We were then invited on adult-only ontrip with my cousin and wife to UO. They'd been passholder for years. We somehow finagled a babysitter for our younger daughter and off we went within 3 weeks. I swear I had panic attacks! I knew nothing about Universal. Where would we eat? We didn't have "ADR's". What about fast passes? My cousin's wife tried to assure me...did I trust her?

Fast forward to present - we've been passholder since that very first trip. Upgraded our tickets the 2nd day in. Pre covid we were visiting twice a year, a week plus at a time. Maybe we are just getting older now, but we enjoy the laid back touring, not having to know 120 days out what we want for dinner on day 2.

I agree whole heartedly about USF and IoA. I much prefer USF. The feel of the different cities, the use of water back drop, the landscaping. It gives me a peaceful at home feel. Our daughter (younger) may disagree. She enjoys IoA more. And oldest...well...she's a Disney fan girl through and through.

Well this was just suppose be a quick "hey! thanks for the TR. Photos are great & really appreciate the food reviews(typically my favorite part!)"

Looking forward to reading your next adventure.
Thank you <3 No worries! I love the long responses!! I think it’s great that this trip was so last minute for me (2 weeks in advance) because it forced me to not plan. I think if I had more time to ruminate I would have tried to do it Disney-style so I’m so glad it went this way. Now I know I can just essentially show up and do it as I go. And you’re right, USF definitely has a peaceful feel. It gets a little chaotic near Mummy/HRRR (and Diagon is a whole other story) but the rest of the park has a very lovely vibe. And like your daughter, I still feel like a very Disney person (was about to apply to DCP before COVID) but I really enjoyed being able to do something different and I really fell in love with the Universal vibe. Our passes are on our nightstand and every time I see them I just can’t wait for the next time we go back.
Just read through your whole trip report and loved it! The Grogu in the window picture is just fabolous! Glad you enjoyed your first Universal trip so much!

Some thoughts on your comments:

I Iike the theming/setup in both parks equally but for very different reasons. To your point, I agree that USF just has some many more places to SIT and relax and "enjoy the view" all around the lagoon in different places. But on the flip side (outside of Diagon Alley) I feel the theming from place to place is pretty homogenous. At IOA, I find there isn't as many places just to sit and relax (as compared to USF) but I LOVE the distinc theming of each land. From the colours of Suess Landing, to the weathered old look of Lost Continent, the lush foliage of Jurassic Park etc.

I know so many people complain about Universal having too many "screen based" attraction, I fully agree with your point that Universal (for the most part) just does them so well with integrating them in the rides that it ADDS to the immersion as opposed being "annoying". How they blend the live sets/themeing in rides like Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Spider-man and Transformers is just stunning and they are some of my favourite attractions in the world. FJ is probably my favourte ride anywhere, and gives me goosebumps every time I ride it (and I'm sure I've been on it over 20 times).

For your upcoming trips you'll love both Sapphire Falls and Cabana Bay. Sapphire Falls feels definitely feels more upscale and I love the pool area. Cabana Bay we also love so much as we love the retro theming vibe and we love both of their 2 different pool areas, and we always get in a round of bowling whenever we go!
Thank you!! I love that you mentioned the difference in environments in IoA. On our first day in the parks we were walking back to the entrance from Hogsmeade and as we crossed into Seuss Landing from the Lost Continent I literally told Jason “well that’s a change”. I 100% agree with what you said about each park. Thanks for so eloquently putting it into words!!

Thanks for the hotel info as well! We’re really looking forward to staying at Sapphire—Jason is not as into hotels as I am (“it’s just a hotel”) and even he thought Sapphire looked gorgeous. Can’t wait for our stay there and at Cabana, Aventura (those corner rooms look gorgeous), maybe Endless Summer. I miss the feeling of staying in an on property resort.

I dont' read a lot of TRs on here, but yours was SO good and so fun. Thanks for sharing the new adventures. We love Universal too and Disney. Last US trip was Nov, 2018, and hope to get back later this year. (taking a year off of Disney,) I soooooo want to try Hagrids. Glad y'all had such a great time, and have APs so can make those short trips. A lot less planning and stress than Disney for sure, and so many wonderful, immersive, fun experiences at US/IoA.

Hi ANdy:
What a great trip report!
I have finally found someone who likes the Studios side more than IOA, LOL.
We just like the attractions and rides more. You can't beat the Horror Makeup Show for fun, and we love MIB, and the Mummy is a close second to forbidden journey. Diagon Alley is fantastic and the ride is the best in the park. For some reason, I get dizzy on the one in IOA side.
I even like the atmosphere which some people don't care for, but it feels immersive to me to walk through NY or movie sets.
It feels like a more adult park to me. The cartoon type settings in IOA aren't something I like, but they do have great rides too.
Thanks for such a great TR:)

Was great to read another Disney lover's first trip. We'll be taking our first trip as a family to UO/IOA this Winter, assuming we're vaccinated by then (holding out hope that by some miracle, the kids will be able to get their shots too). We're thrilled to have Express passes with our hotel booking, especially since WDW still hasn't brought back FP+. A friend of mine just got back from a WDW trip and said they hardly rode anything because the lines were so long! I'm definitely going to book a table at Mythos and hope it's nice enough weather for an outside table. Ah, can't wait for an actual vacation!

Great report, what a nice first trip to Universal!
Love the BF Jason's hair. Don't apologize for writing about food. We LOVE food.
That was a really nice view from your hotel. I love Potter so I loved my trip to Universal/IOA.
It's 3 times as far for me to go to Orlando as going to California, which is far as well. But, I cannot wait
to make another trip to Orlando, your report is an interesting perspective,

I dont' read a lot of TRs on here, but yours was SO good and so fun. Thanks for sharing the new adventures. We love Universal too and Disney. Last US trip was Nov, 2018, and hope to get back later this year. (taking a year off of Disney,) I soooooo want to try Hagrids. Glad y'all had such a great time, and have APs so can make those short trips. A lot less planning and stress than Disney for sure, and so many wonderful, immersive, fun experiences at US/IoA.
Thank you so much! We are looking to head down just for the day in a week or two (hoping spring break crowds die down a bit after Easter).
Hi ANdy:
What a great trip report!
I have finally found someone who likes the Studios side more than IOA, LOL.
We just like the attractions and rides more. You can't beat the Horror Makeup Show for fun, and we love MIB, and the Mummy is a close second to forbidden journey. Diagon Alley is fantastic and the ride is the best in the park. For some reason, I get dizzy on the one in IOA side.
I even like the atmosphere which some people don't care for, but it feels immersive to me to walk through NY or movie sets.
It feels like a more adult park to me. The cartoon type settings in IOA aren't something I like, but they do have great rides too.
Thanks for such a great TR:)
I haven't been on MIB yet and I'm so excited to! I too love the Mummy. I need to see the Horror Makeup show, I've heard great things! And I agree, I wasn't too impressed with the more cartoon style theming of some parts of IOA, it just didn't feel as immersive as the more realistic environments in USF.
Was great to read another Disney lover's first trip. We'll be taking our first trip as a family to UO/IOA this Winter, assuming we're vaccinated by then (holding out hope that by some miracle, the kids will be able to get their shots too). We're thrilled to have Express passes with our hotel booking, especially since WDW still hasn't brought back FP+. A friend of mine just got back from a WDW trip and said they hardly rode anything because the lines were so long! I'm definitely going to book a table at Mythos and hope it's nice enough weather for an outside table. Ah, can't wait for an actual vacation!
I hope you are able to enjoy a great trip! We actually just both got our first vaccines in the last few weeks so we're looking forward to enjoying theme parks with a little more piece of mind. So awesome you're getting express passes--we were always a little envious seeing them speed through the line. Mythos has a bunch of shade outdoors, it's carved out of rockwork so it should be nice if it's hot or cold!
Great report, what a nice first trip to Universal!
Love the BF Jason's hair. Don't apologize for writing about food. We LOVE food.
That was a really nice view from your hotel. I love Potter so I loved my trip to Universal/IOA.
It's 3 times as far for me to go to Orlando as going to California, which is far as well. But, I cannot wait
to make another trip to Orlando, your report is an interesting perspective,
Thank you! I agree, his hair is really fun! Was so shocked when I saw it for the first time but it's a nice look on him. California is many times further than Orlando for me (obviously) but I NEED to get over there! I've been wanting to go to Disneyland for the longest time, and USH looks like a fun time as well. Hoping you can make it to Orlando soon!

I really thought I had replied to this TR much sooner, apologies if this is a duplicate! But who doesn't love a little but more kudos right?! LOVED this report. HUGE Disney fan here, DVC member, going to the "dark side" with a girl friend of mine next month, no kids, no husbands, just us. Your post really helped get us excited! Post more, whens the next visit now that you are AP's? MORE FOOD PHOTOS PLEASE!!!! Love it :)

I really thought I had replied to this TR much sooner, apologies if this is a duplicate! But who doesn't love a little but more kudos right?! LOVED this report. HUGE Disney fan here, DVC member, going to the "dark side" with a girl friend of mine next month, no kids, no husbands, just us. Your post really helped get us excited! Post more, whens the next visit now that you are AP's? MORE FOOD PHOTOS PLEASE!!!! Love it :)
So glad you enjoyed the report!! I hope you have a great time. We will actually be at the parks this Friday! Getting my second dose of the vaccine tomorrow so really excited to have a feel a little more relaxed :Pinkbounc We're just going to head down for a little day trip. We plan on staying most of the day in IoA but we want to swing over to USF to get more Mardi Gras food for dinner now that it's extended--hoping to try the things we didn't the last trip + get some favorites.

We'll also be at the parks for a half day or so in a few weeks. We're going on vacation to see friends in TX and are flying out of Orlando. A hotel near the airport with a park and fly package was only $10 more than parking at the airport, so we're doing a little Orlando day before we fly out. The current plan is to spend the morning and early afternoon at Universal, then spending the rest of the day at Disney Springs. We have reservations at Paddlefish and looking to get Gideon's so we are super pumped!

Our next overnight trip at the moment is in August at Sapphire for my birthday, but we'll probably squeeze another overnight trip in before then at Cabana. Not sure of the exact dates, but it'll probably just be 2ish nights on a weekend where school and work is light!

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing! I prefer Sapphire Falls over Cabana Bay due to the boat ride and overall theme - it's absolutely gorgeous. I have stayed in all three Premier and I don't feel like Sapphire is "missing" anything in comparison! Cabana Bay is more of a fun theme, and definitely a great hotel though. We will be at Universal in July, I am so excited and REALLY hope we are vaccinated by then (we are in Europe, it's rollout is slower here).

I tried to book last minute on Thursday but nothing was available for discounted Passholder or Florida resident rate. Hope you had better luck. I did arrive at parking lot to just visit CityWalk Thursday morn. Fun to sit at Starbucks w/ a Voodoo Donut and explore new Universal Store that just opened and also first time to explore that Legends Store in CityWalk... it has so much interesting memorabilia from old Universal Movies, I definitely need to bring my camera next time and remember to actually shop ( it’s more than a museum haha)
Have nice visit in Tx, I still have family in Dallas area. Really enjoy your trip report so keep us updated! (Wait til you visit for first holiday season)
I have only been Florida resident for a few years, but so glad I have gotten to know Universal as much as I know Disney ...

Good to know! Im hoping to get lucky and get tickets for the december weekend.

Just finding this now. Loved your trip report!!! We are Disney people and are going for the first time in August. We had a week at Disney planned but my 14 year old is dying to see the Harry Potter stuff. We are doing 5 nights at Disney and then 3 at UO. I feel so lost. Your trip report helped a bit . I'm not a coaster person. How did Hagrids compare to Test Track? I can do FOP and MILLENNIUM Falcon (though I was terrified 😉). I enjoyed ROTR. How do those compare to some of the rides? Thanks for sharing your trip. You two sound like a great couple!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter