Swore I'd never go to WDW during Spring Break, but now I am. What m I in for?

dmccarty said:
We have been to WDW a couple of times at Spring Break. The park's were mostly 9's and 10s during our trips. We would be at RD each morning hopefully at an EMH park. For the Spring Breaks we visited, EMH was two hours early and made a huge difference. We would get into the parks early and pretty much be done by lunch time.

Our kids were younger then and they would be tired by lunch time so we would head back to the resort of rest and pool time. By using EMH we would ride what we wanted, often multiple times, before most people were leaving the resorts.

On one trip we had other family visiting WDW at the same time. They had a miserable time because the wife would not get up early to get to the parks. She would get up late, do he hair and makeup, have breakfast and then get to the parks to wait in line. They did not have a great time.

We had a blast. :rotfl2:

With teenagers I would be thinking about using the night EMH parks.

The worst part of a Spring Break WDW visit was the drive down. What is normally a 9-10 hour trip was 12 hours of he..ll. I95 was bumper to bumper and white knuckle driving the whole trip. NOT fun.

Later,
Dan

I agree. The drive down is the worst during spring break. That's the reason we don't like going during spring break. it's weird thanksgiving, christmas, and july 4th don't seem to be as bad. We go down 75.

To the OP, I agree with PP, since you know it's going to be busy, you're already one step ahead. Go for rope drop, stay until it gets to busy, go back to hotel and relax until time for dinner. The other thing is to try and get lunch early, at 11am, because once you get after 11:45, lunch is now double the time and temper.

- Virginia

I think our best trip ever was our spring break trip. We arrived at the parks late morning to early afternoon and stayed through evening EMH. We utilized fastpasses, single rider lines and checked the lines app to see which rides had the shortest wait times. The only ride we missed using this strategy was TSM.

I KNOW my waitlist will come through pixiedust: and I KNOW we will have a great time at Disney despite the crowds. As you all have said (more or less), even a crowded day at Disney is better than sitting around looking at the gloomy skies around Chicago! 3 weeks from tomorrow we'll be on our way! :cool1:

OUR WAITLIST CAME THROUGH!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I only booked this trip on Tuesday and at that time there was only Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday available through DVC at SSR. Waitlist for Monday came through this past Wednesday, and today the Thursday waitlist came through! I can't believe it. Guess it was meant to be.

This is a short trip for us as we usually fly down and stay 8 days. I'm not complaining though...we're driving down and we still have 4 full park days plus a little bit Sunday night and then leave on Friday morning. I just had a feeling it would all work out!!!

And BONUS...... The whole trip should only cost us about $1500 out of pocket as we have a lot of reward $$$ from our Disney credit card---almost enough to cover the tickets! :thumbsup2 Not bad for a spring break trip!

And to whom ever said I sound less than enthusiastic about this trip....I am over the moon excited!!!!:smickey:

We were there for our midwinter break and President's weekend and it was very busy. Rides that would usually take 10-20 minutes were taking 40-50 minutes. I can't even imagine what spring break will be like. Some days we could only do a couple rides. Not as enjoyable when there is so many people. It became very stressful. I almost enjoyed staying at our pool for the day. I want to add if I had a chance to go even at spring break time I would go in a second!

We were just there over President's Day weekend as well, 2/13-2/19. I must say that the crowd levels seemed worse than when I took my kiddos on a trip over spring break without my DH in 2010!

I'm sure part of it was my perception of the crowds and we had an absolutely wonderful trip a few weeks ago but it does seem that the crowd numbers are up overall.

OP - enjoy your trip! Know your limits (what will cause stress) and work around them as best you can. For example, this past trip we did not stay and watch the MK fireworks or Illuminations (we've seen them several times before). For us, it wasn't worth the long wait times for a bus back to our resort and feeling like we were being packed in a can of sardines. :crowded:

OUR WAITLIST CAME THROUGH!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I only booked this trip on Tuesday and at that time there was only Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday available through DVC at SSR. Waitlist for Monday came through this past Wednesday, and today the Thursday waitlist came through! I can't believe it. Guess it was meant to be.

This is a short trip for us as we usually fly down and stay 8 days. I'm not complaining though...we're driving down and we still have 4 full park days plus a little bit Sunday night and then leave on Friday morning. I just had a feeling it would all work out!!!

And BONUS...... The whole trip should only cost us about $1500 out of pocket as we have a lot of reward $$$ from our Disney credit card---almost enough to cover the tickets! :thumbsup2 Not bad for a spring break trip!

And to whom ever said I sound less than enthusiastic about this trip....I am over the moon excited!!!!:smickey:

That's great have a wonderful trip, we are also going on spring break and it was last minute for us as we were originally going to Disneyland but airfare was so outrageous we decided to switch. I too am an over planner an this is so out of character for me to just go and wing it. Not having much luck in the dining are but I am so looking forward to the whole trip.Mary:cheer2:

That's great have a wonderful trip, we are also going on spring break and it was last minute for us as we were originally going to Disneyland but airfare was so outrageous we decided to switch. I too am an over planner an this is so out of character for me to just go and wing it. Not having much luck in the dining are but I am so looking forward to the whole trip.Mary:cheer2:

I was able to book the Biergarten and Sci Fi Dine In just this past Thursday with lots of time options open. Even Le Cellier had openings for dinner! :crazy2:

kangaroodle said:
I was able to book the Biergarten and Sci Fi Dine In just this past Thursday with lots of time options open. Even Le Cellier had openings for dinner! :crazy2:

I'm gonna keep checking, traditionally we have always started our trip at crystal palace for breakfast but it is booked, so far we have the plaza, ohanas & 50s prime time. I like Le Cellier but it takes 2 table service an I really don't wanna use 2 credits. Really, Really wanted Be our Guest . I am also celebrating being 50 this yr so I wanted some special or different places to treat myself. Mary

Really, Really wanted Be our Guest . I am also celebrating being 50 this yr so I wanted some special or different places to treat myself. Mary

Happy Birthday, Mary!:bday: I turn 50 this year too (in October)! Hooray for 1963!
Have you tried calling WDW-DINE for an ADR? Occasionally they may have some times open that don't appear on the dining website. I really wanted BOG, too but knew it would almost be impossible at this late date. I would keep checking though. People always cancel at the last minute.

Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to get a Birthday Button at Guest Services. pixiedust:

The crowds will be crazy mid day. I never do emh or get hoppers but in this case i would hit morning emh until the parks get packed and do the headliners only then hop to the recommended park and do the least popular rides in the afternoon. By doing this at different parks each day you will probably get the least waits

Happy Birthday, Mary!:bday: I turn 50 this year too (in October)! Hooray for 1963!
Have you tried calling WDW-DINE for an ADR? Occasionally they may have some times open that don't appear on the dining website. I really wanted BOG, too but knew it would almost be impossible at this late date. I would keep checking though. People always cancel at the last minute.

Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to get a Birthday Button at Guest Services. pixiedust:

Thanks, Happy Birthday to you toopixiedust:1963 is a great year. I have been calling everyday for BOG no luck yet. Yes I plan on getting a birthday button, I am totally embracing turning 50 as my parents died young as well as my husband so I'm hoping the next 50 will be terrific since the last 50 had been a struggle. Mary

Mary, if we are in Epcot on the same day we should meet up for a drink! My dad also died before he was 50, so I too am embracing my upcoming birthday. I wanted to go to Disney in October but my niece is getting married the day before my birthday. So on this trip I am going to get a birthday button that says 49 1/2!

Good luck with the BOG reservations!

I've been to WDW twice at spring break time. Yes, the parks are crowded, but the weather is GORGEOUS. If the weather could always be like it was the 2 weeks I have been in WDW in March, I'd think I'd died and gone to Heaven.

The parks have pretty long hours around spring break time, too, so that's a plus.

I hope you have fun! With some good planning, you'll be able to navigate the parks just fine.

We find the best way to handle the crowds is to avoid morning magic hours and try to get to rope drop each day at a park that does not have evening magic hours. Check the crowd calendars on one of the many websites and you will see that EMH are not always your best bet to see everything. We do like the evening magic hours at 'MK. We skip Spectromagic and hit the rides!

dmccarty said:
The worst part of a Spring Break WDW visit was the drive down. What is normally a 9-10 hour trip was 12 hours of he..ll. I95 was bumper to bumper and white knuckle driving the whole trip. NOT fun.

Later,
Dan

Thank you for bringing this up. We've been to Disney on 3 of our spring breaks so far but this one is worrying me with Easter being so early. I was thinking of splitting our drive up this trip and try to arrive earlier on Good Friday by leaving Thursday evening. This may be a good idea considering the crowd predictions. I was only thinking of the crowds in the parks until now!

kangaroodle said:
Mary, if we are in Epcot on the same day we should meet up for a drink! My dad also died before he was 50, so I too am embracing my upcoming birthday. I wanted to go to Disney in October but my niece is getting married the day before my birthday. So on this trip I am going to get a birthday button that says 49 1/2!

Good luck with the BOG reservations!

Well my trip dates are march 25-29. I will be in Epcot on the 25th but still hope to come across you during the week to wish you happy birthday! My actual birthday is in July so I figure close enough to say 50. Mary

Well my trip dates are march 25-29. I will be in Epcot on the 25th but still hope to come across you during the week to wish you happy birthday! My actual birthday is in July so I figure close enough to say 50. Mary

Mary! :thumbsup2 You won't believe it but the day we had planned for Epcot is the 25th as well! I guess it's fate! As it gets closer we can make a plan. I will PM you my cell # and we can call when we're in the park. :drinking1

We have been the last two years, because it was the only time we could go.

Honestly, I was really unhappy. I am not a crowd person, and it irked me to have to wait 1 or more hrs in line for rides that last 10 min. But if you can handle and expect the crowds, you'll be fine. We went during Easter week, and it was very tight at MK.

Let me add, things were much better at night. Not only is it cooler temps, but lots of people just leave. I love it at night anyway :)

We have been the last two years, because it was the only time we could go.

Honestly, I was really unhappy. I am not a crowd person, and it irked me to have to wait 1 or more hrs in line for rides that last 10 min. But if you can handle and expect the crowds, you'll be fine. We went during Easter week, and it was very tight at MK.

I would never wait that long.... ever!! Did you not use FP? Get to the parks early???

kangaroodle said:
Mary! :thumbsup2 You won't believe it but the day we had planned for Epcot is the 25th as well! I guess it's fate! As it gets closer we can make a plan. I will PM you my cell # and we can call when we're in the park. :drinking1

That is great Kathy can't wait an share a birthday drink with you. I agree it is meant to be. Mary

I've been to WDW twice at spring break time. Yes, the parks are crowded, but the weather is GORGEOUS. If the weather could always be like it was the 2 weeks I have been in WDW in March, I'd think I'd died and gone to Heaven.

The parks have pretty long hours around spring break time, too, so that's a plus.

I hope you have fun! With some good planning, you'll be able to navigate the parks just fine.

:thumbsup2

Agreed, it feels so great just to be outside!not only that, but the parks are gorgeous, too! Disney World's landscaping is at it's peak over spring break! It's fantastic just to see all the gorgeous flowers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter