Taking a 6 wk old to BC..

I wouldn't go with a six week old to WDW. I might go to the beach and stay in a house by the ocean, but I would not go to such an active place as WDW. Mainly because I could not enjoy myself at WDW with a baby of that age. I guess it depends on what you plan to do while there. Personally, I would not find it enjoyable and doubt that the baby would.

I understand what you're saying. But we have a 4 & 9 yr old also who will love it. It will be a short stay of 3-4 nights...we are tagging along on my dh's bus. trip.
Anyone else with some suggestions........

Any way that you could take a grandparent to watch the baby so that you and DH could enjoy WDW with the older kids? Or leave baby home with a grandparent since it is a short trip? I know it would be to leave the baby home with a grandparent, but the baby and the older kids would probably end up having a much better time.

I wouldn't take the baby. I'd either stay home or leave the baby home with someone. A six week old is still getting up 2 -3 times per night (at least both of mine did), and you are in one room. You will not only disturb your sleep, but the sleep of your whole family. Definately not a recipe for a fun vacation!!! We took our son a couple of months ago when he was 4 months, definately was a very different trip. We only were at the parks for a few hours each day, since the baby needed to nap often. I also needed a nap!!! I'm sure your older children wouldn't like being at the parks for only a few hours than having to hang out in the room while you and the baby rested.

First of all, IMHO it's not a good idea to expose a young infant to that many people/germs.

Next, the baby will cry at night to be fed, and wake up you, your family, and potentially the people in the next room. (DS is 15, but I still wake up instantly when I hear a baby cry--when my neice/nephews were young and visiting, I got no sleep...)

On the same train of thought--you will be exhausted, and an exhausted mom with kids who are hyper to go to the theme parks does not a good mix make. Your husband will be tired from his conference, so I wouldn't count on much help for him, although the 9 yo is probably a good helper...but not enough to be alone with three kids in a theme park.

The amount of baby gear you'd have to lug is incredible! If you are nursing you'll have to be prepared for either doing so in public, or taking what can be a fairly long trip to the other side of the park to the first aid areas for privacy. If you are feeding formula, sterilization, heating and etc. will be at the least, problematic.

I strongly suggest you wait until you are better rested, the baby is older, and your husband can give you full help and attention, and plan a trip that way.

Anne

I appreciate your responses..but, I am so upset b/c as you can see "I" really want to go to Disney & you guys are really talking me out of it.
Is there anyone else with any thoughts?:confused:

I'm going to aplogize first, so here goes...

I have to say that you should be thinking about the welfare of your newborn first before you think about what YOU want. I understand you you want to go, but the health and well being of your child should come first. Do you realize how selfish your previous post sounded? All we are doing is giving our opinions on what we feel is appropriate in your situation. I was very apprehensive on bringing my 4 mth old, I did it only because we were going to FL anyway to visit my MIL. Would I do it again, probably not. It was a very taxing vacation, the times we were in the room with my 3 yr old climbing the walls, while the baby was sleeping were torture. Luckily we were in a villa and were able to place the baby in a separate room so he could get some peace and quiet away from his sister, another reason we choose to go. If you are dead set on going I would DEFINATELY recommend on getting a villa. YOu 'll have the kitchen facilities that you really need to prepare anything, wash clothes at a moments notice and have separete areas for sleeping. This is decision is yours and yours alone to make. All I can do is tell you that I think it is a bad idea and that the baby should stay home. I also understand that you probably don't want to leave a baby that young with anyone, so you feel the only way you can go is to take the baby with you. I think you should just pass on this opportunity and plan a vacation when that baby will be a little older.

Have you checked with the baby's pediatrician? If the Dr. feels it would be OK, it can be done, although, as others have mentioned, it might make for an exhausting trip. That being said, I would probably do it if my Pediatrician thought it would be OK. When our third child was born, she was no trouble to put into the baby sling and carry with us wherever we needed to go. I didn't want our older two children to feel as though the baby was keeping us from doing things like school trips and vacations that were of importance to them. My pediatrician told me that as long as I was comfortable, kept the baby out of the sun and out of direct contact with strangers (she was 5 weeks and it was a short trip near home) we would be fine. I'm not sure I would fly with a baby that young because of the recirculated air but a Dr. could advise you better on that. As far as park touring... just take it slow, rest when you need to, keep the baby in a carrier or sling close to you and you should be OK. Most importantly, do whatever makes you feel comfortable!

Kelly

As far as taking an infant to DW, it can be easily done. Young babies sleep so much, and usually love being in a snuggly/sling next to Mom. Or sleep very nicely in a stroller. I was apprehensive about taking our then 4month old in Jan. but it worked out great. I don't think you need a villa, if you staying on site there are laundry facilities are convenient. I too suggest you talk to you baby's pediatrician, and if she says its ok then just use your common sense. People aren't going to be touching your baby, and just make sure you wash your hands often, especially before a feeding( can you tell I'm and R.N? lol) I understand you wanting to go, we all need a break too, I don't think you should have gotten flamed for that. But I think if you listen to your baby's DR. you will be fine. Good Luck!

OMG! I was shocked by the responses you got!!!!
I think they are all terribly off base, and I have a completely different type of answer for you. Just so you might have a bit
of confidence in me I have 3 kids - the oldest is 20 and the youngest is 10 and I worked with infants on a kibbutz for 3 years so I do know babies.

Your baby will NOT be at risk for anything bad if you take him/her to WDW!!!! The idea is nothing short of ridiculous! YOu do not have to keep your baby in a sterile environment. YOu should carry your baby with you everywhere you go, whenever and wherever you want!! You are NOT being selfish! YOur 6 week old infant just wants to be with you - it doesn't care if you are at WDW or in Timbuktu!!! You will be FINE. I think you should go and have a wonderful fantastic time!!!
Keeping your baby in a front-pack or Snugli type thing, or best yet, a sling, would probably be better than a stroller.
That is the ONLY advice you need!!! You are already an experienced mother so you know your baby just needs to be loved, fed, changed, and held - at that age that's all there is.
Please don't ask a pedicatrician about this - NOTHING in their medical training has anything to do with parenting, and your baby is NOT more likely to get sick at WDW!!!!

Just be relaxed and flexible. If you baby is fussy - carry him/her. That's really all there is to it. It's easier to take a tiny infant than a toddler who already has a mind of its own. Infants are portable and don't have any but primal needs. Meet those and you will be FINE. You can even take your baby on some rides, in the sling or front pack.
The BC is a beautiful resort and you and your baby can relax by the pool while your older kids play...
Just go - ignore all the silly advice above (sorry, just MY opinion!!)
WRite me if you want more support!
Jody

I should have mentioned that when we went last Jan. I was in your exact situation. Had a 9yr old, 5yr old and 4month old and DH was on a business trip. We stayed longer though and vacationed after he was finished. I have to say I didn't take the kids to the parks while he was working , we did other things. DS did the Pirate cruise, DD did the tea party. They swam, played on the playground and had a wonderful time. If you decide to go maybe you would be more comfortable saving the parks for when your DH is there to help.

Just my opinion - if your pediatrician says its OK, then I would say DEFINITELY GO AND HAVE FUN!!! I have traveled many times to Disney with a baby (although mine were always at least a year old) and we had a great time! As long as before you go, you and the other kids understand you may not be able to see all and do all. Just my opinion, but I could never go on a vacation and leave one of my children at home. Just take it easy, try to have a nice sit down lunch somewhere and let the baby nap. I don't recall if you said when yall were going, if it were summer or not, but just take care of yourself and the baby. The other two children will probably be so excited to be there and they'll probably want the baby to "see" everything with them. When we went with my 13 month old, my two older girls wanted to do everything with the little one - they enjoyed buying her little surprises and seeing her face when she saw the characters. We always take our time and enjoy - sometimes traveling with a little one can make you "stop and smell the flowers".

I say GO FOR IT!!

I am a mother of 5. We took our 5th child when he was a month old and had a wonderful time. Our trip had been planned fo a year and I didn't want to disappoint the other children.
The Baby Centers at the parks were wonderful!! I would go in, sit in a rocker in the air conditioning and feed the baby. They have everything you would need for the baby in case you forget something.
Make sure you bring your own stroller, one that lies flat for the baby to sleep. We also were staying at the Contemporary which was really convienent for going back and forth to the parks.

I also am a obstertrics nurse and work with newborns everyday. As long as you use common sense, the baby will be fine. It's much easier to travel with a one month old than a 12 month old. All our son did was eat and sleep.

The important thing is to relax and not stress out. I knew I wouldn't be going on all the rides and thing that I normally do, but that was ok with me.....I knew I'd be back. Just strolling through the parks and going to the shows made me perfectly happy. :)

Go for it and have a great time. I saw lots of really little guys when I was last at Disney. They seemed to be happy enough sleeping in Mom's chest pack. Your other kids will have a blast! Good luck.

ga92043.jpg

fP20565.jpg

This will give you a little idea of how much I'm against it.

Bad for the child.
Bad for your other children (you will be having them look after the little one so YOU can have a little fun. Or/And they will be hindered from enjoying the parks)
Bad for everyone that comes near you.

I think that you know your child better than anyone. As long as you take it easy and understand that you will not be able to move at the same pace that you did without an infant you'll be fine. I am sure your pediatrian will give you similar response. I am going in Feb. with a 4 month old (my due date is tomorrow so cross your fingers he arrives soon). I was going to originally postpone the trip but my mother said something similar to above posts-- it is much easier to travel with infant than 1 year old (or when they become mobile). My parents and 17 yo DS are also coming with us so we will have extra hands but we only have two rooms, not a villa and I am sure it will work out fine. I think you should go if you really want to go. I love Disney and I know when we go this time it is going to be a totally different experience with an infant, but its still going to be magical.....

Couple more things... I am planning on bringing front baby carrier because i think it will be easier than stroller, but I am also bringing his car sear with snap and go stoller (infant seat snaps right into base with wheels). We plan on only eating dinners at sit down restaurants and I thought I would use the carrier during the day, but the snap and go in the evenings so he could nap and easy to bring him into restaurants. We are going to be flexible thought its all really going to depend on his mood on any given day. Also I plan on "practicing" before we leave. I am going to go to mall during his nap times and nurse him and have him sleep in snap and go a couple times a week. I thought it would get him used to noise, lights and sleeping in stroller.

Good luck and have fun!

Carl, I laughed so hard at your "main attraction" graphic. Too funny!

As to the original post, does your trip have to be at this time, or could you defer it a few months until the baby is older? I know you are tagging along on dh's trip, but will there be other opportunities? We took our one year old, and it was a delightful experience. I think we would have enjoyed the trip when she was younger too, but not at 6 weeks. I was too exhausted then! A few months old, maybe. I would worry about the heat (especially in a front baby carrier), as well as the normal stuff (germs, etc.)

If you are tagging along on dh's business trip, does that mean that you will be alone with the three kids for most of the trip, while your dh attends business meetings? If so, and you really want to do this, all I can say is I wish I had your energy!;)

Is this a decision you have to make right now? I would say go for it, but you might want to find out your little one's temperament is like first. My first daughter was colicky and I can't imagine being at WDW with a baby that screams for 3 hours every night. That's not fun for you the baby or anyone else. Now my 3rd child was very mellow and I could see taking her at that age. We took her when she was 6mths old and she was much easier than her 3yr old brother and 6 yr old sister :D She had so much to look at, she would sleep or eat wherever we were. We all came back to take a much needed rest for all not just the baby. It would probably be much easier if you could stay at a villa but if you can't then I'm sure you could make it work at the BC.
BTW I don't think it would be a "bad" idea if you went to WDW with your baby and I wouldn't feel like it would be "bad" to come in contact with you or your baby:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter