Taking an older friend and first-timer to WDW for girls' weekend: Riviera or VGF studio? (updated)

Which studio would you pick?

• Total voters

kboo

DIS Veteran
Title says it all. I have an older friend (60) who has never visited WDW despite being one of the most well-traveled people I know. Single, never married, no kids. We are both in excellent physical shape and mobility and accessibility are not a problem. Looking at Riviera and VGF studios, where we will have our own beds regardless of which studio we book (either the murphy or the single)

I am a little concerned about the noise reports from the resort studios at VGF, and we'll probably spend more time at EP than any other park, though I am also torn because for a first-timer, "Disney World" usually means MK. Interested in hearing your views. My friend is deferring to me.

Last edited:
I really think the VGF original studio would be best. I don’t want to take a chance with noise issues, and the real kitchenette sounds better to me than what’s in the resort studios. I have never been in a resort studio.

I mostly stay in EPCOT resorts, and the line from Epcot going on the Skyliner has been unbearable for me to see, and imagine waiting in it. Plus, as you said, MK would be a must do.

Now, if you are going when GF is undergoing such a transformation, I think I would pick Riviera. I booked VGF 11 months out, but now that I realize the lobby will probably not have the beautiful Christmas decorations, I am opting out of it, and using those precious points elsewhere!

I'd vote RIV:
+ Less Points
+ Closer to EPCOT
- Further from MK
As long as you are good with the Skyliner, I would think this to be the better choice,
based strictly on the criteria you set forth. :goodvibes

RIV hands down unless you want to split stay for the best of both worlds…use the split day to sleep in and enjoy the resort, go to lunch and shop at DS, and then go to the new resort! If room not ready, can always go to the park closest to the resort you do second!

We love it!

What time of the year? If it's during the rainy or hurricane seasons, I'd pick VGF to avoid the Skyliner. Taking a bus when it's shutdown due to weather isn't much fun, IMO. But OTOH, the VGF will be less than impressive if the lobby is still under construction when you're there.

Sounds like fun, though - wherever you end up. :)

VGF, once the refurb is finished has the wow factor. It is classic Disney and reasonably good access to Epcot with the monorail. I am not a fan of depending upon the skyliner due to how often it is down due to weather.
VGF has 3 access options for MK: walking, monorail, or my favorite, boats. It also has a view MK fireworks from the resort.

If you are driving, you also can drive to Epcot as easier access than the monorail. Driving to MK is more frustrating.

We love the resort studios decor. We haven’t had any sound issues from the neighbors.

This is tough...I think I would do split stay if you don't mind the unpacking/packing.

The rooms at RIV are gorgeous!! 😍 Can't deny that. It is also a more quiet resort, small footprint, it's perfect for some luxuriating!
I love VGF for the convenience with multiple transportation options, especially if you want to take your friend for a little monorail resort crawl! That's one of my favorite things to do on our non-park days. I would go with VGF OG in case of the noise issue.

I would stay at VGF. You have monorail access at your fingertips to do the loop and stop at the other resorts on the loop and of course the MK. You can always take the monorail to Epcot. Traveling by monorail never gets old and once there can take skylines to RIV to check it out. A lot of our fun is visiting different resorts.
Don't get me wrong RIV is an amazing resort and staying at either puts you in WDW so either way you can’t go wrong.
that’s my 2 cents

One thought. If your friend is well-traveled and has never been to Disney, that might have been a deliberate choice. Most people envision Disney as MK, and lots of noise, family-with-kids destination, and theme park food. If that’s the case, RIV might be the better choice, especially since you are planning on spending a great deal of time at Epcot. A very different way to experience Disney than what is usually imagined.

Did you ask your friend if they are okay with the Skyliner?

I'm claustrophobic and subject to motion sickness. I will not get on the Skyliner. If someone booked a room for me at Riviera, we would be Ubering to Epcot and DHS. I realize that I'm in the minority, but I think it's a question to ask.

Wow thanks for all the input! March 2024, but only a one weekend (3 days 2 nights) so probably not worth it to split stay. And the standard studio at RIV is only 1 point per night less. So ... yeah.

Going to look to see if VGF refurb is done ...

Wow thanks for all the input! March 2024, but only a one weekend (3 days 2 nights) so probably not worth it to split stay. And the standard studio at RIV is only 1 point per night less. So ... yeah.

Going to look to see if VGF refurb is done ...
Since it's a short stay, then I vote VGF OG studio!

I voted resort studio.
unless you’re ok with the sofa bed.
I wouldn’t give a first timer to WDW a sofa bed.

*points to signature for vote* I just love the accommodations at RIV. Easy access to Epcot sounds like a win to me.

Both those resorts have the Murphy bed which I find as comfortable as the main beds.
Yes, that’s why it’s an option. Also we have the single sleeper, which is in the OG studio and the Riviera studio, which would allow us to have a couch area. First world problems, I know!

Have you stayed at either resort? Since it doesn´t sound like it, I would look at YouTube videos to get a feel for each of them. To me, when we stay there, it feels like VGF is more private and I like the outdoor spaciousness. Both are very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter