Talk to me about renting DVC

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
So we are DVC and have all of our points accounted for and thinking of planning a Christmas trip. We have a cash Boardwalk stay reserved that we put a deposit on a bounce back offer. Just reserved it to see if any special rates come out as we are Florida resident and AP as well. Not hopeful but last year we did same and ended up with a decent rate

I just was looking on the 2 most well known rental sites (I don’t know if I can mention names here). The prices on some confirmed reservations are substantially cheaper than the cash reservation we have.

I have some concerns about the cancellation policy as it’s a ways off what happens if we end up not being able to go?

Is the reservation transferable if that’s our last option?

Can anyone share some input who has used one of these services?
Experience good or bad?
Don’t want to rent them and then get there and have a problem?

I have not entered but the confirmed reservations are not transferable because no DVC reservation was is.

The brokers each have their own policy for cancellation so you have to see what it is but in most cases, you are not getting a refund unless you purchase insurance? Even then, there are rules.

The savings can be good but it comes with risk. It’s why we never rented before owning.

I have not entered but the confirmed reservations are not transferable because no DVC reservation was is.

The brokers each have their own policy for cancellation so you have to see what it is but in most cases, you are not getting a refund unless you purchase insurance? Even then, there are rules.

The savings can be good but it comes with risk. It’s why we never rented before owning.
Thanks. I am always on a fence about this and I just double checked and the cash rate I got is only about $40 more per nite than what a confirmed reservation is on one of the rental sites. I think for a 5 nite reservation I would rather pay the extra dollars and have the flexibility

Thanks. I am always on a fence about this and I just double checked and the cash rate I got is only about $40 more per nite than what a confirmed reservation is on one of the rental sites. I think for a 5 nite reservation I would rather pay the extra dollars and have the flexibility

If you get any CC rewards, that reduces it a little bit more! I’d be doing the same!!

Many broker sites do have protections for renters, but there definitely is more risk. I have both been a rentor and a rentee of points via broker and they do their best to make it as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:

I agree that the extra flexibility is worth it in this case.

You can save substantially more money vs a cash rate by renting directly from an owner. There's always more risk of fraud in that type of transaction so as a renter/tenant you need to (and should) do more due diligence and to make sure the owner and reservation are for real. But it does require a greater element of trust and is not for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter