Tell me about a stay right after Christmas

chip1

Proud Owner of 400 BCV Points!!
We are just back from a 6 night stay at BCV. Of course, it's time to think of our next trip. We've never gone RIGHT after Christmas (leave on the 26th or 27th) and want to know what you like about going then. I know it will be crowded, but we are thinking of having this be a trip that we do more outside of the parks, Discovery Cove, Cirq de Soleil, Universal, etc. THANKS!!

We used to do that (about 4 times ) before our kids got too COOL to spend New Years Eve with their parents at Disney. It was really awesome (we were there for the millinium). We used to go on the 27th---this gave us time to take the tree down and other things before we were on our way. It is crowded, but what else can you expect. It was always manageable and really not too bad. The worst part is trying to get out of the parks (MK and Epcot) afterwards. The transportation back to your resort was awful, but hopefully that has gotten better. The atmosphere is really great then, real Christmas Spirit. Go for it!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

We have gone that time of year for the past several years and we love it, though we generally combine it with a week AFTER New Years so we also get to enjoy the parks when they are empty. We generally fly down a day or two before New Year's (This year is a short trip and we opted to do the cruise instead).

I personally would NOT go to universal this time of year. If you think it would be any less crowded than disney, you're wrong. We went between christmas and NYE and stayed at a Universal hotel and had their "all day express pass" thing that you get for staying at a universal hotel (their equivalent of fastpass, only if you stay at a universal hotel you don't have to pick up the fastpasses, just flash your key and go on the fastpass line). Even WITH that privelege there was still a 1+ hour wait on spiderman (I'm guessing upwards of 3 hour wait on the regular line). If you are staying at DVC you will not have the express pass thing and I think you will be extremely frustrated. We personally would NOT go to universal again without staying on Universal property (though we are just not very likely to go to univeral in general, we didn't care much for it). I think the fact that so many people can get on the "express" line makes it THAT much more important that you have one, making it a miserable experience if it is VERY crowded (like btwn christmas and new year's) and you are trying to use the standby lines for things.

Lisa

Originally posted by chip1
We are just back from a 6 night stay at BCV. Of course, it's time to think of our next trip. We've never gone RIGHT after Christmas (leave on the 26th or 27th) and want to know what you like about going then. I know it will be crowded, but we are thinking of having this be a trip that we do more outside of the parks, Discovery Cove, Cirq de Soleil, Universal, etc. THANKS!!

chip1,
We're thinking of doing a mostly non-park visit next NYE--staying at SSR. (I'm trying to collect ideas on things to do next year from what is available this year).
We did a NYE trip last year staying at BCV and we have another trip planned this year. We also combined it with a stay at Portofino Bay so we could get FOTL priviledges. But, I would go along with what Lisa said about the FOTL pass. The standby times when we went were 120mins (the longest wait we encountered was about 15mins on MIB). I would not do that park without the FOTL during that time frame. The main reason I wanted to go to Universal was to see the Macy's Parade and Grinchmas--which were pretty cool.
I was thinking for our stay next year, I would like to do such things as:
1. Marketplace Downtown Celebration (in the evening--when they make it snow). I plan to check it out this year to see if it is something that we would like to repeat.
2. Sleigh Ride at WL (I hope they have it again next year).
3. We will proably plan to have two park days so that 1 night we can book the Candlelight Processional Dining package (it has become a family tradion). And, hopefully next year, they will have the Osborne Family Light Show again.
4. Visit the resorts to look at the decorations.
5. Buy tickets for NYE at Pleasure Island.
6. Spa Treatment or two at SSR.
7. Visit the Ice Palace on Display atGaylord Palms Ice Palace (if they have it next year)

(I would like to "try" to plan a more relaxing visit next NYE --but, I usually end up adding lots of stuff on... :) .)

-DC :earsboy:

We went a couple years ago and it was wonderful. The crowds then did not seem that bad except for NYE and News year day. We also did Sea World (which was not crowded at all).

I would say go fo it!

We have gone down to Disney at Christmas for the past three years, and it's lovely. We stay from around the 19th to the 30th or so. We are going again this year. You will notice that we are gone before NYE. If you do not drink you may find NYE celebrations somewhat--ahh--less controlled than you would get at home. Many people REALLY drink because they are on vacation, locals stay over on NYE so they don't have to drive, and then go all out. This is the castmembers least favorite day to work--they are the adults in charge of a whole lot of kids, and the kids have the advantage. Early NYE is great, though, really spectacular, with the fireworks and all.

Wow, thanks guys for all the great ideas. We've gone many times early Dec and come home the week before Christmas. We love this time of the year the best. However, as our son (9 yo) grows, we feel it's harder to take him out of school for a long period of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter