Tell Me About Avis Preferred

Poly Pal

DIS Veteran
After a long term relationship with National (over 15 years), my company dumped them due to reduction in service and high prices. We switched to Avis Preferred.

I am renting with Avis for the first time next week. The Avis web site says I can avoid the line and they'll have my rental paperwork ready. But what does this mean? Do I just go to the garage like with Emerald Aisle and choose a car? Or will a car already be there with my paperwork inside (like Hertz #1 Gold where they tell you "space #").

Please help!

Thanks!

Hi Poly Pal. I think that Avis Preferred in Orlando (MCO) you go to the counter and just don't worry about the paper work - there is probably a seperate line at the counter, too. They'll assign you a car and give you the keys.

I'll be using Avis at MCO in a couple months (don't belong to any of their preferred renter programs) for the first time. Hope everything goes well (it seems like there is always some sort of problem at car rental counters at MCO! The only "good" experience we've had was with National Emerald Choice [we've had horrible experiences with their counter service]. We've also had problems with Budget, they never have a car ready for us!)

Thanks Cali-D. So I still have to wait in a line? There's no just going out to a car?

I'll let you know how I make out. I'm flying into Tampa, not MCO on this trip.

Anybody else know about Avis and their "Preferred" program?

I think I remember reading something about a "Red Carpet Service" where you go out to the garage. I'm not sure what airports it is available at (I know not MCO).

:)

DH just recieved his "Avis Preferred Service" card and info in the mail today. I am not sure that this helps but on the form letter that was enclosed it states:

"FASTER, EASIER SERVICE. You can skip the lines and paperwork. Just go straight to your car where your completed rental document is waiting for you.

PRIORITY TREATMENT. You get the closest parking spaces and lowest mileage cars."

also a dedicated toll free number, free copy of the Wall Street Journal and Preferred service abroad.

I didn't quite get that part either CaliforniaDreaming...I was wondering the same thing myself, so I called and asked.
What happens is that you would not go to the Avis counter, you would hop on the Avis shuttle, give the driver your name and they would drop you off at your car. Sounds simple enough. We are giving it a whirl next Monday in Tampa, so we'll see about that. :D

Thanks Denise. Only thing I wonder now is since MCO has Avis on-site, is there a shuttle over in the garage?

:D I had asked specifically about Tampa (Avis is also on site at TPA) and then, because we also fly into MCO, I called back and asked about it as well, and the woman said yes, you get on the Avis shuttle at MCO for Avis preferred service as well. So we'll see.

I'm a little confused - This is our first time renting from Avis rather than National (thanks to the USA code) so please be patient with me. I got a Wizard number. Is this the same as what you're talking about? In addition, are the cars parked that far away from the airport doors that we would need to take a shuttle to get to our rental car? Or, is the layout similar to National. We like National because it was convenient - you walk out the door and there's the cars.

I have rented from Avis in MCO before. With Avis Preferred yoiu go directly to the garage (2nd floor) and there is a little counter/office there that you walk up to and give your card to. Your paperwork is ready and they hand you the keys and off you go. I have never seen a line there, but they have ropes set up, not sure if at some part of the day it gets busy or what.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan and Scott are correct for Orlando and there should be no line or at most one or two other people who arrived at same time you did and have preferred. As to Momto2Princess's question, your wizard number is your Avis preferred number.

Re: Avis preferred number/ wizard number :)
You can have a wizard number and not be a Preferred Service Member, just to clarify.
If you have a wizard number and then become a preferred service member, the wizard number will be your Preferred service number as well, but they are 2 different programs.
Make sure that you have applied to be a "preferred service member" (Its free) It is a little more detailed than getting a wizard number. And, you have to print out your application, sign it, and either mail it or fax it back to Avis. The preferred service card and info comes to you in the mail. DH got his fairly quickly after he faxed his application.

Thank you dan for the info on using the Service at MCO, so much for trying to get accurate info.
You wouldn't have used the service at Tampas Avis by any chance?

Can anyone sign up for this? Would I be able to sign up and then call and have my preferred number put on the reservation, and use Avis Preferred?

Thanks.

CaliforniaDreaming, just a clarification. The type of car you get is the one you order, for example if you order a mid-size you will get a mid-size. This does not work like National where you choose a car from the lot; a specific car is assigned to you.

drusba, I understand the rental process of receive what you reserve. That is why I always book luxury, and hope for a Cadillac DHS. :)

I'm back from Avis Preferred at TPA. Nothing special. You avoid the line in the terminal by baggage claim. Go to the garage and look for the Avis booth which is not to be confused with the Avis location next to the National EA! Signs are almost non-existent. My paperwork was waiting. I did not have a choice of cars. Got a silver Olds Alero (underpowered) which was o.k. There was no Wall Street Journal waiting in the car.

BTW the EA was practically empty. Just a few Mitsubishi Gallants and that was it.

If you fly in on Delta (red side) you claim your luggage and then go back upstairs and cross over to the blue side, then go downstairs and across the street to the garage. Very poor terminal design!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter