Tell me your experience with a 5 yo and walking vs stroller

We easily do over 10 miles a day in Disney which is a lot for little legs to keep up with. I took my oldest on a trip just the two of us, when he was 5, and skipped the stroller. He was pretty cranky at times which isn't like him and I definitely had to slow down for him to keep up. When I took my twins this past year, also at 5, we took the stroller each time and it made things significantly easier. I wouldn't go without now.

Last edited:
(Tell me if you think I'm making the wrong choice despite everything I've said here - I really do want to know! This is our first trip with kids, so planning it has been completely different than usual.)

I think it sounds like your children will do okay without a stroller. The only issue I see is if they fall asleep on the bus on the way back to the hotel and you have to carry them from the bus to the room. Sometimes it can be quite a long walk.

Our last trip kids were 4.5 and 7.5. We didn't bring a stroller, figuring we'd just rent one if we ended up needing it. Both kids did great. My DH did carry DD on his shoulders a few times, and we had to carry her from the bus to the hotel room one night, but that was fine.
All of which is to say, no stroller worked great for my family. Do whatever works for yours, but definitely don't believe the posts that say you *have* to have a stroller for a 5 year old.

Every kid and every family is different. There is no right or wrong. I think being stroller free would be great and so much easier. But my granddaughter will not make it all day with all that walking and we know this. So bringing a stroller works for us this trip. Other 4 year olds may not have a problem.

It was in 1989, but our two DS were 3.5 and 5.5 and they walked everywhere, just as they did at home. We quit using strollers by age 2. Kids have a lot more energy than adults do. They never complained about being tired.

We used a stroller at 4. We will not be taking one this round at about 6.5. The main reason is he's very big for his age (51 inches and nearly 67-68 pounds) and he won't really fit in a stroller/we don't want to push his weight! If we had a younger kid, I could see him having a turn in a double stroller, but I'm not renting/dragging one just for him. He walks our huge zoo here and complains a bit, but he can do it.

For our family the stroller use is based on our touring style. We do not go back to the room for an afternoon break and DS4 has no issues with napping in a stroller. The stroller works for us since we are a rope drop and stay late type of family. Maybe consider your family's touring style and base the stroller use off of what would work for your family. Hope that helps!

All of that sounds better to me than dealing with a tired, whiny child. One who would have been totally happy, if only they could have ridden in a stroller. Or better than having to stop the fun for everyone and head back to the hotel for naps, when the child could have napped in the stroller.

If you have a whiny child that naps, sure. But my 5 year old was not whiny, and did not nap at that age either. Both girls stopped naps by the age of 3, with the exception of the occasional car nap.

With our latest trip in January, we had a hard rule that if we weren't in line and we weren't on a ride or restaurant, then they were in the stroller. They knew we'd be having long days and this ensured those little bodies weren't having a meltdown at 2pm. Our 3 year old fell asleep in the stroller at one point for about 45 minutes, but after the first day my 5 year old quickly understood why we wanted her in the stroller. As a mom, I liked that I wasn't chasing kids down Main Street. Nobody in our party minded having a stroller to tend to.

With our latest trip in January, we had a hard rule that if we weren't in line and we weren't on a ride or restaurant, then they were in the stroller. They knew we'd be having long days and this ensured those little bodies weren't having a meltdown at 2pm. Our 3 year old fell asleep in the stroller at one point for about 45 minutes, but after the first day my 5 year old quickly understood why we wanted her in the stroller. As a mom, I liked that I wasn't chasing kids down Main Street. Nobody in our party minded having a stroller to tend to.

Chasing kids down Main Street? If they were walking, they'd be too tired to run, by your own logic. Why would they be having a meltdown at 2 PM?

Chasing kids down Main Street? If they were walking, they'd be too tired to run, by your own logic. Why would they be having a meltdown at 2 PM?

Why did you assume it would be hard to find a stroller after you parked it? You are assuming having a stroller is always a chore, and debating anyone who thinks it isn't. BarbMike821 probably knows their children better than you, and if they think they would have having a meltdown at 2 after walking all morning, I believe them. Maybe your kids wouldn't have, but your kids are not everyone else's kids.

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? I pretty easily understood the point she was making. We used the same logic PP did with our kids, even when they were much older than 5. Doesn't work for you? Fantastic. But since it's our kids, then don't sweat it.

Child 1 - No
Child 2 - No
Child 3 - Yes but due to sensory issues, not endurance. He did go stroller free at 6.

If you aren't certain, you could bring one and only us it if you find you need it. You will less likely need it the first day than the last. Or, you could budget some money to rent one just in case. We did not slow our pace and our kids have always been able to keep up. I don't think they are overly athletic kids and one is quite small. (Hit 46 lbs at 9.5 years old). We told our kids we would stay in the parks until someone showed signs of needing to leave and that worked quite well. We did not plan table service for dinner so we had that flexibility.

We took a stroller until DD was 7. She is a very fit two sport athlete, and NO WAY would she have made it all day without a stroller at 5, not the way we tour. We are rope drop to park close, go all day folks. She didn't nap after age 3, no matter the setting. Trying to go 10 miles plus a day with no stroller for her would have been a recipe for disaster.

But we avoid all that ... because we use a stroller ... because that's what works for us.

Advice was asked. I gave my experience. End of story. No need to get all Cruella over one person's opinion.

I tried to go stroller free when mine were 5 and 8. Halfway through the 9 day trip, she dropped to the ground in the middle of Fantasyland and wouldn't take another step. Luckily we had a stroller with us (my cousins 4 y/o was using it). Exactly a year later for her 6th birthday she walked all week without a problem. My ADHD son used a stroller for the last time at 5 as well.

We always try to go at the kids' pace, but my one daughter tires out pretty easily.
When my oldest was 6, she walked with no problems. This past trip, we took a double stroller for our youngest two (1 & 4). The 4 year old used it, maybe one time. My 5 year old was in it any other time. It really depends on your child.

My youngest will be five next month when we go this June. Definitely getting a stroller again for her. My other kids had them and it was the best. I rent the double stroller at the park. Kids hop in and hop out so easy. But mainly it's for me too. In 5 trips in last few years we have had zero meltdowns. Why? Because of stroller. Always feel bad for the families who yell and fight. It's a lot of walking and super hot for a little kid. And I won't go back for naps. Waste of time. Stroller is essential

I had a small 7 yr old. Stroller was vital! He got hot and tired and cranky. He didn't want held after awhile because it was so hot and sweaty too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter