Thanksgiving info needed

Madmother

Mouseketeer
Thanksgiving day we are arriving at the Contemporary for a much awaited "retirement" trip for my uncle. Is there anything I should know about? What areas should I avoid Thanksgiving day and the weekend after?

I was planning on Chef Mickey's for Thanksgiving dinner. Are they taking ressies now or do we wait for the 60 day PS period?

The day after, is it nuts at MK? Or should we plan on a different park?

I have alot of info so far about it being crowded, but not if there is a better park for the day of, and the day after. Trying to make some sort of itinerary.

We arrived at CR on the day after Thanksgiving last year. The parks were very crowded over the weekend, but thinned out by Monday. If you're there through the next week, I'd really recommend avoiding MK as much as possible over Thanksgiving weekend. We went on Friday night to see Spectromagic, but we watched from the train station on Main Street - just trying to get to the Emporium to purchase autograph books was quite a task! We went back on Sunda and felt it was still very crowded.

You can make your PS at Chef Mickey's at 120 out. I'd highly recommend calling early in the morning on the 120th day because Chef Mickey's is very popular, especially for Thanksgiving.

Beth :sunny:

I don't know how much help it will be, but read my trip report from 3 years ago (has it been that long ago:( ). Follow the link in my signature and read all about it. If you have questions after reading, send me an email (there's a link on my homepage).

I should inform you that we spent the entire week of Thanksgiving at WDW. Skip to Thursday's report to learn about AK/MK on Thanksgiving and Friday for Epcot/Disney-MGM Studios

Disnee Dad Says............................. I guess you can't do this, but can UNCLE do the retirement trip a week latter?, or earlier?. Either way the crowds will be at least half what you will see. When I am at WDW I want to see the parks. I still ride dumbo at 42, will at 62 and 82, but don't want to wait in long lines to do it!!

This is the time of year we are planning on for 2003. Hoping to arrive on Thanksgiving and stay until the following Friday. If we plan non-park things for the 1st few days, should we be ok starting the Monday after Thanksgiving? 4 days of parks would be good for us. Any suggestions for the first couple of days when we are avoiding parks? How about best place for THanksgiving dinner?

wdwnutze, by Monday, the parks were incredibly less crowded. We hardly waited for anything! We were also able to do MVMCP, Candlelight Procession, and Osbourne Lights that week!

I wish we could go that week again this year, but our APs expire on 11/23, so we have to go before that.

Thanks for the quick reply B3LM. I am looking forward to seeing the decorations but am really torn as to the time of year that we go. Thanksgiving is the time most of us want to go but we don't want to be too rushed and we will be driving(24 hrs), My dd will be in the 6th grade and I don't know how missing a week of school will go over. Our other option is toward the end of Aug. I have been in Aug before so I know about the heat. The crowds are suppose to be much less than earlier in the month and maybe we won't be as rushed. I am so torn.

wdwnutze, I understand your dilemma. I said I wouldn't take my kids out of school again this year, but I am afterall. We had planned to go in May, but we had to postpone the trip. Since our APs expire on 11/23, our trip is planned for 11/14 - 11/23. The kids will miss one week of school unfortunately. Once we get back, they'll only have 1 1/2 days and are then off for 5 days over Thanksgiving break. I'm counting on that time for them to catch up. Of course, they're in preschool, 1st and 3rd grades.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter