Thanksgiving Plans?

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
With this being 2020, what is everyone doing for thanksgiving in relation to the usual?
Most years it’s my mom, sister and I at my house. I enjoy hosting and getting to spend a long weekend with my mom. (She lives two hours away, my sister is 30 minutes away in my same city.) I have no fear about hosting them this year because they are some of the few people I interact with most often in person.
last year and this Easter my close friend who lives in the neighborhood joined us. I invited her again so she may come. Always late minute to hear from her. Out of the three I’ve seen her the most during this pandemic so I don’t worry about her coming. If we are going to pass it to each other it will happen if she comes or not.
I feel having 4 people is a reasonable thing. We all live alone so the only other option would be not to do anything and be alone.

Headed to my parents. 8 of us total between my family, my sister's family and my parents. Since we come from out of state, we do our Christmas with them then, too. Ironically, it is my parents in their 70s who haven't taken many precautions this year. The other 6 of us have stayed pretty isolated except for the two DHs going to work.

Usually we go to my parents and sometimes my sister & her boyfriend are there, sometimes they aren't. This year we will be staying home. I may or may not be making a "Thanksgiving Dinner."

We normally eat out, but I'll be cooking or we'll order takeout this year. It mostly depends on whether or not I feel like cooking a big meal.

Normally we celebrate on Thanksgiving and leave the next day for a few weeks. Our travel arrangements are randomly being cancelled due to cuts and closures. Scrambling to find an alternate plan.

Normally we have a huge celebration of about 30 of us at my brother’s house. It is the one time all year our entire family, spouses, kids, etc. get together and it is our favorite. This year will be very different. We decided it would not be a great idea to that this year and we’re all bummed about it. So we decided to mix it up.

My dh and I have actually rented a villa on Hilton Head Island for 10 days. We will go with just our three adult kids and pretty much social distance by walking the beach, ride bikes, play golf, etc.. and basically relax. It will be nice to just hang out together and we are all looking forward to it since we have not had a family vacation in a while. We will be just as safe there as we would be at home.

With this being 2020, what is everyone doing for thanksgiving in relation to the usual?
Most years it’s my mom, sister and I at my house. I enjoy hosting and getting to spend a long weekend with my mom. (She lives two hours away, my sister is 30 minutes away in my same city.) I have no fear about hosting them this year because they are some of the few people I interact with most often in person.
last year and this Easter my close friend who lives in the neighborhood joined us. I invited her again so she may come. Always late minute to hear from her. Out of the three I’ve seen her the most during this pandemic so I don’t worry about her coming. If we are going to pass it to each other it will happen if she comes or not.
I feel having 4 people is a reasonable thing. We all live alone so the only other option would be not to do anything and be alone.
Since at least the start of the 21st century, my oldest sister and I have taken turns hosting the November and December holidays. If she did T-Day then I’d do Christmas dinner and vice a versa. Based on my records, we averaged 18.47 guests per holiday.
For 2020, we will only host our immediate household residents in November with cautious hopes that more can join us in December.

Gave older sister some ideas for a two person Thanksgiving meal and she chose a spatchcocked Cornish hen with stuffing and roasted veggies sheet pan meal for herself, and roast salmon main for her husband who is a long time pescatarian.

Sent the how tos for the Cornish hen meal to my aunt in N.C. except she’ll have “stuffin muffins” as a substitute.

I’m seriously considering breaking with tradition and eating beef since there is quite a bit in the freezer. Choice of filet mignon or a thick cut Porterhouse steak. The filet is more practical but boy oh boy the steak is calling my name in a piggy sort of way :rolleyes:

Just a heads up for those planning a smaller poultry dinner with a combo of dark and white meat.
When you find a smaller turkey ( 9 lber comfortably serves 4 with leftovers; 13 lber, 6 to 8 people), or Cornish hens ( one feeds 1 to 2 people), buy now and store in freezer. Farmers had to make an educated guess on bird size and whether the pandemic would be over so a lot hedging went on earlier this year.

Upshot? Smaller birds maybe high in demand and thus harder to find.

Same as always.
We go to DS's house and there are the 7 of us. DGD's godmother is coming this year too.

This will be the first time ever my Mom and Dad (90 and 88) won't be joining us for Thanksgiving as my sister and I are splitting things up (Virus). They've been to her house more than mine. I will have my middle son and wife over and my brother Rob who comes over every day for coffee. So the five of us.

My older son and my two beautiful grands might stop over later but that's a wait and see situation.

It will just be the 5 of us who are our core family/living on the farm at the moment. It's kinda sad (for me) to be cooking for a smaller group BUT I just keep going with the mantra 'nextyearnextyearnextyear'

We are driving to Death Valley Sunday-Wednesday, and then having a traditional dinner on Thursday with my son and my mother.

I usually go to my sister's house in the city, but this year I'm staying home and will be cooking. Nothing to do with the virus-my uncle cooked Thanksgiving dinner (it was his thing) and he passed away in February. I took over the cooking. It'll just be those of us who live here.

We are staying home and having a nice, quiet family Thanksgiving. We have not been traveling during the pandemic. I am sick of having to see family on Zoom, though. :(

Well, "the usual" has been dwindling for a number of years before this. We'll probably do as we've done the last couple of years - just us. That me, hubby, and 2 (adult) kids.

Hopefully being discharged from the hospital then... My mom is making us a Turkey dinner for that weekend (providing baby and I are healthy). It would have been a weird year for us, pandemic or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter