• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"That’s not how the Force works!" - January 2017 Rebel Challenge + More! 3/14 Complete

I love the IJA ride too! Although it kept breaking down while we were there. Twice we had to escape from the long queues back out.
Your lunch looked pretty good! We didn't eat at River Belle Terrace on this trip. There were may places we didn't even get to!
Yay for Hyperspace Mountain! I love it so much!
The buzz lightyear guns are much better than at WDW but yeah you do have to keep pressing the trigger, so I may have gotten trigger finger at some point! Haha.
Glad you had a productive morning at DL!

Following...gonna read up on you adventure over my fancy lean cuisine lunch at work.

Great start to your trip! We had a great time that race, weekend, too, but didn't get in to CA until Thursday. Looks like we missed out on most of the rain. We didn't make it to Trader Sam's this trip - we were just there for Tink weekend in May - but that pork flatbread photo reminded me of just how good that was! We've been to the one in the Poly more often and I do enjoy that one. Excited to read more about your trip.

You did miss out on the rain luckily! At least it made for a less crowded park even if it made it feel dreary. I've been to the Poly one a few times when it initially opened (although my husband never came inside with me) My next trip is at SRR so my mother and I will probably just stay closer to Disney Springs for our adult drinking activities!

I really shouldn't read your trip reports when I am hungry, your pictures of food always look so good and you make me want to have a drink! I'm dying to know about the foot masks, i've never seen them at sephora and I am intrigued now.

Alcohol at Disney makes me happy. As does the food! Mmmm....my Rockstar Energy Drink for breakfast just isn't the same.

The foot masks were with all the other Sephora Brand masks. They may be my new favorite thing ever. I used them after the 10K and Half and actually ended up buying 2 more for the night of the half and the next day after Universal. My feet loved the refreshing feel! You can't walk while wearing them as you have plastic socks on your feet though.

I love the IJA ride too! Although it kept breaking down while we were there. Twice we had to escape from the long queues back out.
Your lunch looked pretty good! We didn't eat at River Belle Terrace on this trip. There were may places we didn't even get to!
Yay for Hyperspace Mountain! I love it so much!
The buzz lightyear guns are much better than at WDW but yeah you do have to keep pressing the trigger, so I may have gotten trigger finger at some point! Haha.
Glad you had a productive morning at DL!

Sad IJA kept breaking down on you...it seemed the ride that had the most downtime when we were there as Hyperspace Mountain. There were some issues the next day with some of the outdoor rides with the rain but such is rain!

Following...gonna read up on you adventure over my fancy lean cuisine lunch at work.

Nothing wrong with lean cuisine for lunch! I've had my fair share of those over the years. Outside of vacation or girls nights - my normal diet is a lot less fun! Monday's dinner was salad and Tuesday's dinner was good old Kraft Mac & Cheese! I haven't even gotten to the good food yet ;)

Relaxation and Warmth

We got off the monorail and headed to our room! I was really happy we were in the Fantasy Tower as it would end up being super helpful with the Expo and the races.

xLL8G59.jpg

I also loved the headboard in the rooms!

JDj2Htv.jpg

We had paid for a standard view and that was exactly what we got...

Al9ALrK.jpg

Back at the room, both my husband and I got to deal with unfun work things but such is the joy of salaried employment! I’m pretty sure I also took a nap as vacations are just great times to take naps!

Around 5PM, we headed out of our hotel and headed back to Disneyland. We took the monorail as it was a bit chilly and I wanted to save my legs some!

qDduOGi.jpg

CoUsaX2.jpg

Ra9rNNY.jpg

We checked in a few minutes early to Cafe Orleans, where I requested an inside table because of the temperatures, so I was able to check out the singing band of pirates before they called our table!

1BnZvQa.jpg

As soon as I walked over there, my phone buzzed and we were being sat! So much for inside taking a lot longer for the wait! (They have at least twice as much outside seating as inside seating!)

We kinda knew what we were going to get before we even were sat with one major change.

We both started with the french onion soup. With the chilly weather, this was an excellent choice to warm up our bones! We were very happy with our selection.

hA8HgEt.jpg

French Onion Soup - Sautéed Onion Medley in Traditional Broth w/ Crostini & Melted Gruyere

My husband went for a non-traditional entrée. I think he may love french fries more than me some days...He finished these off!

E1qHtfx.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French Fried Potatoes tossed with Parmesan, Garlic and Parsley served with Cajun Spice Remoulade

So here is where I changed my mind. I remembered getting the three cheese Monte Cristo made my stomach hurt from all that richness. I decided to not do that to myself this time. Even with not loving sliced ham all that much, I went with the regular Monte and was really happy with it. The turkey and ham helped cut the richness of the dish. It also helped that I only ate the ‘insides’ of the sandwich and avoided the crusts of that so-called “light batter” to also avoid some of the heavy feeling. This worked out a lot better for me! I still couldn’t finish all 4 squares that way but I did more than previous attempts!

DrjJ5vy.jpg

Monte Cristo Sandwich - Sliced Turkey, Ham and Swiss Fried w/ Light Batter and Served with Berry Puree dusted with Powdered Sugar and served with Fruit

Another reason I didn’t attempt to finish my entrée was that I wanted dessert. I love banana desserts. Seeing banana foster crepes on the menu made my decision for me! My husband didn’t want any but still somehow stole all the whipped topping but at least he didn’t eat the good parts!

pBaDYTK.jpg

Royal Street Bananas Foster Crepe - Delicate Handmade Crepe Filled with Bruleed Bananas topped with Rich Caramel Sauce & Whipped Topping

After dinner, we remembered we still had that fastpass from earlier to use since Hyperspace Mountain didn’t ‘claim’ it on us. We decided to use it for Big Thunder Mountain as we figured it would be a different experience at night just like the one at Walt Disney World is! We were right with this assumption and we were happy we didn't have to wait long for it!

PPtgsRm.jpg

We headed to Fantasyland for our last ride of the night. We wanted to try It’s A Small World - Holiday Edition at night since the lights make the outside so pretty.

eCCYBK1.jpg

lWsJS5z.jpg

vRDPl8M.jpg

Iw12kYS.jpg

Ssv2q1P.jpg

RY1afKk.jpg

Feeling all Christmasy, three weeks after the holiday season was over, we headed back to the hotel. We walked since we did the monorail earlier. My husband had mentioned he might want dessert from the bakery but he changed his mind.

nipjIG7.jpg

Back at the room, I took a shower and used one of my facial masks before going to bed by 9PM.

kmEUXTp.jpg

I have a lot of facial selfies this trip…

I'm loving your trip report. The food looks divine. I'm headed there in less than two weeks and I definitely want to try Cafe Orleans this time around nine as well as Trader Sams.

Finally back from vacation (before we head out on another vacation) and all caught up now! Loving all the free flowing booze and tipsiness already. For me I think alcohol somehow seems to be more potent when I'm on vacation. Must be something when it combines with true euphoria. Can't wait for more!

I'm loving your trip report. The food looks divine. I'm headed there in less than two weeks and I definitely want to try Cafe Orleans this time around nine as well as Trader Sams.

While the food I've had so far is good, its nothing compared to what's coming, especially Saturday & Sunday! I love Care Orleans - it isn't fancy but the food is consistent and tastes awesome. Probably more of a lunch spot than dinner but it worked out well enough for dinner this time around!

Finally back from vacation (before we head out on another vacation) and all caught up now! Loving all the free flowing booze and tipsiness already. For me I think alcohol somehow seems to be more potent when I'm on vacation. Must be something when it combines with true euphoria. Can't wait for more!

Must be nice coming home from Key West and getting to go to Disney World so soon ;)

Sadly, Trader Sam's was the only real tipsiness until after the races. I did get pretty tipsy last night though at Miller's before seeing zombies get killed...Blue Alcohol just tastes better. I think alcohol hits more because you are relaxed rather than having it from day to day stress :)

Special VIP

I woke up this morning around 4AM. I played on my phone for a while as my husband was still sleeping. I did get dressed a little after 6AM. For some reason, a little before 6:30AM, I decided to see what the line looked like for the VIP Experience Early Expo Entrance and discovered there were already 5 people in line! I went back upstairs to get my husband and we settled in to pass the next hour until the 7:30AM opening time. As we were playing on our laptops/phones in the room, sitting on the floor playing on our phones wasn’t going to be a huge difference.

Once the line got about 10 people deep, they started coming around to check us in with our IDs and giving us our VIP wristbands. We would have to keep these on all weekend in order to have access to early shopping, the Chewbacca photo, New Balance shoes, the Lounge and the party.

iervbM7.jpg

Betsy soon arrived as well and claimed her spot in line with her purse and then came over to where we were sitting to talk to pass the time. She was mad we finally beat her to the Expo as the previous two years she had beat us! Our other friend, Jan, was with her killing time until her Goofy’s Kitchen reservation. It was nice passing time talking to friends outside of just playing on our phones. Right before 7:30AM, we all stood up and got our instructions from RunDisney officials. There were probably about 30 people in line at this point (not too bad) After we were done with Official Race Merchandise, if we wanted to visit New Balance, we had to go through a certain set of doors only and couldn’t go thru the rest of the expo as it wouldn’t be open until the official 10AM time.

0NlYp9V.jpg

TZEke1w.jpg

When 7:30AM hit and we weren’t immediately let in the official merchandise, I think some people were about to freak but a couple moments later they let us in and to spend all the money….

eMvKsK9.jpg

My husband and I split up so we could pick out the items we liked. My husband was disappointed in the jackets available for men and was jealous I got a nice selection for females this year (ha!) We both picked out a couple shirts and I got a jacket, the Dooney & Bourke Wristlet, a single Sweaty Band, and the metal pins. I was really glad my mother had given us a $400 Disney Gift Card for Christmas as we spent that + $125 upon checkout.

On our way to the New Balance Booth, we noticed Chewbacca had zero line...we took our photos separately. He was really enthralled with my watch as he thought it was a communicator. He did not like my husband’s Boba Fett shirt one bit!

xQi7RCQ.jpg

F7902HL.jpg

mrykYAS.jpg

RsxyxKG.jpg

c089scy.jpg

fbTX5Jk.jpg

tE5SlXD.jpg

CR3pKr6.jpg

5m5NJhy.jpg

Xux1HeF.jpg

After our furry hugs, we went to New Balance to drop more money like it was going out of style. We knew that going in though as we wanted ALL THE SHOES!!! My husband and I bought one of each of the styles for the respective genders they were meant for. This meant I got Haunted Mansion and Mad Tea Party and he got Space Mountain and Toy Story Mania. I wanted Space Mountain as well but I couldn’t justify buying 3 pairs of shoes especially since I can’t run in the Vazee Paces as they aren’t supportive enough for me. I can run in the Mad Tea Parties at least! He also picked up a long sleeve pull over that had “Rebel Runner” on it since he had been unhappy with the jackets at the expo. Gone went another $655!

I looked at my watch and realized we still had 45 minutes until it was time for DVC/AP sign ups for Wine & Dine so I was ok with us going upstairs to pick up our bibs. We were given our bibs and shirts in a RunDisney bag along with a Light Side Button, our VIP credentials, our photopass benefit and they had a breakfast ready for us. We actually had to tell them to take our ‘coupon’ for claiming our shirts as if they didn’t take off our bib we could have gone back downstairs and claimed more shirts. Since this was a new thing, they might not have realized that. They hadn’t taken the tickets from the people that picked up before us so hopefully they didn’t double claim! Once we were all set, we grabbed some breakfast from the lounge and headed back to the room. I wanted to be ready for the Wine & Dine sign ups and we made it with about 15 minutes to spare!

czsPPC3.jpg

qsg4LXD.jpg

After some nervousness with how slow RunDisney was to update the website from Disneyland Half to Wine & Dine, it became live right at 9AM and I soon was done having my husband signed up for the Wine & Dine Challenge and myself signed up for the 10K!

It stung a bit to realize how much I spent in all of 90 minutes that morning…

I laid out all our goodies to see everything we got.

eTN8Y5X.jpg

AgADuSX.jpg

4iJlWHX.jpg

Betsy had messaged me and told me that after I had left the merchandise area they had brought out the Yoda Ornaments that weren’t out earlier. As she knew I wanted it, she picked up one and I could just pay her back later. I went downstairs to the lobby to grab that and talk to her and Jan a bit more before heading back to grab my husband for us to take a walk through the rest of the expo.

3c7RiTH.jpg

k2bnKnE.jpg

When we went through the rest of the expo, we were rather disappointed. We stopped by the RunDisney booth to pick up our lanyards and luggage tags that were included in our RunDisney package. We picked up my husband some Clif Gels from Fit2Run and said hello to our usual salesman from our Naples store who was going to see if he could still claim a bib at runner relations as he heard there might still be a couple. (As I saw him running during the half, I’m guessing he got one!) Outside of that, we felt it was a lot more empty than usual and nothing grabbed our eyes. We headed back to the room to change as it was raining outside and there was no way we were going to wear jeans outside in that weather! We had been able to avoid all the rain up until now since we were in the Fantasy Tower and never had to go outside until this point!​

Sheet masks are so fun and so so weird. Have you ever tried the kind that have animal faces or fancy masks printed on them? My friend got me a box of them for Christmas and its insanely fun to have like a Cat face on your slimy mask. I do recommend!!

I love your purple disney running shirt in your expo pictures. I have a closet full of shirts that exact color. You got some good chewie pics too!

Ok, are these Pomme Frites really as good as all the blogs say they are? I see everyone gushing about them and in the pics they look like just garlic fries. (not that I'd ever turn down a basket of garlic fries) Worth it to try these on my trip?

I'm getting excited to see your race recaps. Desperately want one of those shoe ornaments for Tink. And the H.M. shoes. Are the Mad Tea Party shoes white or light green? I've been trying to figure it out in online pics, but the lighting is always "expo-ey"

Also, you can go shopping with me anytime. You won't judge me for wanting ALL THE THINGS!

Money well spent in 90 minutes is what I would say! I'm in for the wine and dine challenge, i'm so excited even though it's 10 months away but that is ok.

That's a lot of money spent before 9AM! I'm glad you got the things you wanted and were able to register for the W&D race. Nice you were able to avoid the rain so far.

Really enjoying your trip report. We were there as well. It was my first half-marathon, and I'm totally hooked. I'm usually up on everything, but your trip report is making me realize what a novice I am at all this. I had no idea about the new balance shoes or the adorable ornaments!!! Cleary, I need some educating! :) Could you explain more about the VIP experience. I love the idea of early merchandise access. I ended up having to wait about 45 minutes to get into the tent on Friday afternoon and bypassed the expo part (and new balance) completely because of crowds.

Sheet masks are so fun and so so weird. Have you ever tried the kind that have animal faces or fancy masks printed on them? My friend got me a box of them for Christmas and its insanely fun to have like a Cat face on your slimy mask. I do recommend!!

I love your purple disney running shirt in your expo pictures. I have a closet full of shirts that exact color. You got some good chewie pics too!

Ok, are these Pomme Frites really as good as all the blogs say they are? I see everyone gushing about them and in the pics they look like just garlic fries. (not that I'd ever turn down a basket of garlic fries) Worth it to try these on my trip?

I'm getting excited to see your race recaps. Desperately want one of those shoe ornaments for Tink. And the H.M. shoes. Are the Mad Tea Party shoes white or light green? I've been trying to figure it out in online pics, but the lighting is always "expo-ey"

Also, you can go shopping with me anytime. You won't judge me for wanting ALL THE THINGS!

I haven't tried the animal or printed masks yet...maybe once I'm not broke again I shall start spending lots o money on amazon again and find those!

I got that shirt at Wine & Dine in 2016. I love that shirt! Remy is so adorable (he's like my 4th favorite Disney character - after Stitch, BB-8, Wall-E)

They are pretty much garlic fries with warm cheese on them. They are tasty! If you are already planning on Cafe Orleans I would order them but if nothing else on the menu looks that good, I would skip it. The shoe ornament sold out quick as everyone wanted it! I preordered mine for 2018 when I registered for the Rebel Challenge! The Mad Tea Party shoes are super pale mint that almost look white in some lights.

No judgments here for wanting to spend all the money! I'm really bad at spending all the money...

Money well spent in 90 minutes is what I would say! I'm in for the wine and dine challenge, i'm so excited even though it's 10 months away but that is ok.

Yay! I'm glad you are in for the challenge!

That's a lot of money spent before 9AM! I'm glad you got the things you wanted and were able to register for the W&D race. Nice you were able to avoid the rain so far.

It was a lot of money spent before 9AM...since coming home though - I've spent a lot more. Shaun for the WDW Marathon, both of us for Rebel Challenge #4, and then on Thursday - DVC called me and told me 125 points at Boardwalk were now available...January has stolen all my money.

The rain will be a pain soon enough - I'm glad we were in the Fantasy Tower as we were able to avoid going outside all morning!

Really enjoying your trip report. We were there as well. It was my first half-marathon, and I'm totally hooked. I'm usually up on everything, but your trip report is making me realize what a novice I am at all this. I had no idea about the new balance shoes or the adorable ornaments!!! Cleary, I need some educating! :) Could you explain more about the VIP experience. I love the idea of early merchandise access. I ended up having to wait about 45 minutes to get into the tent on Friday afternoon and bypassed the expo part (and new balance) completely because of crowds.

Glad you are totally hooked! It's like a strange weird drug. "Lets spend all this money on pain and suffering and enjoy it!"

We all were novices once so its ok :) The expo was lacking this year in my opinion in comparison to the last two years.

The VIP Experience was a new offering this year. It wasn't cheap, especially for two people as it was $199 + active fees. I'm really glad I did it as the experience was nice. I liked being able to shop without the huge crowds and before everyone else. I liked not having to walk to where the regular bib pick up was especially because of the rain that Thursday as everything was inside the hotel I was staying at. The lunch was just ok (I'll get to that later in my report) and getting all your photos as well were also nice. Your 'special' gift with it was a RunDisney bag + button pin so not much but still something. I liked the lounge as it was never crowded when you walked in there.

Here is the blurb:

Are you looking to enhance your race weekend experience? Then upgrade to the Light Side Lounge, a VIP Experience created to take the hustle out of your race preparation and calm your inner Force.

This weekend-long experience will provide Guests with a personalized race check-in process, as well as access to exclusive shopping, dining and entertainment offerings including:

Light Side Concierge Lounge
  • Pick up your Race Packet & Pre-Purchased Merchandise in one convenient and comfortable place
  • Thursday, January 12, 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
  • Friday, January 13, 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
  • Saturday, January 14, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Official Race Merchandise Shopping Experience with Exclusive Entertainment Opportunity
  • Two hour private shopping opportunity to prior to Expo opening.
    • Thursday, January 12, 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
    • Friday, January 13, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
    • Saturday, January 14, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
  • Exclusive access to the 2017 Limited Edition New Balance runDisney Collection
    • New Balance Expo Booth will be open for Light Side Lounge Guests during a two hour private shopping opportunity on Thursday, January 12 and Friday, January 13.
Post Race Celebration Party
  • Private party at the ESPN Zone® restaurant in the Downtown Disneyland® District.
  • Lunch buffet, unlimited arcade game play and exclusive Post Race Party Finisher Photo opportunity.
  • Sunday, January 15, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Disney PhotoPass® Collection
  • Access to all Disney PhotoPass® images linked to your account at the time of redemption, including your race photos and more
Commemorative VIP Credential
Enjoy more time at the Disneyland® Resort before and after your race with the Light Side Lounge.

What you need to know:
  • $199 per Guest (not required for children under 3 years old)
  • Space is limited and expected to fill up quickly
  • Race registration not included
  • Concierge Lounge is located in the Magic Kingdom Ballroom at the Disneyland Hotel®
  • Private shopping opportunity grants early access to Official Race Merchandise and New Balance areas of the Health and Fitness Expo only during posted dates and times. Official Race Merchandise and New Balance merchandise is subject to availability and purchase restrictions. See Official Race Merchandise and New Balance Health and Fitness Expo booths for details.
  • Pre-purchased items will be distributed ONLY at Race Packet pick-up. Items not picked up at Race Packet pick-up will not be mailed and will not be refunded.
  • Post Race Celebration seating window must be selected upon registration.
  • Not valid for admission into Disneyland® Resort theme parks. Package items will not be replaced if lost, stolen or damaged. Government issued Photo ID will be required to pick up race materials and pre-purchased merchandise (Driver’s license, Passport, Military ID, etc.).
  • Package is non-transferable and non-refundable. Items are not for re-sale and are subject to change or cancellation without notice. Additional restrictions may apply.
  • Valid only from January 12, 2017 – January 15, 2017

California Adventure In Rain

Dressed in our lovely ponchos, we headed towards California Adventure! The park hadn’t been opened for long but it didn’t seem crowded at all since I think the rain and the chill were keeping people away. Our first stop wasn’t a ride but rather to get a free slice of Boudin Sourdough bread and get a very short reprieve from the rain.

vGipMTo.jpg

We then headed towards Paradise Pier to get some rides in. California Screamin wasn’t running yet this morning so we headed towards Toy Story first. My husband beat me by 4,000 points but at least he was the best in the vehicle! We all looked sad in line with our rain gear on.

DuIxbAw.jpg

I4V9aqn.jpg

CNUJ5Xa.jpg

KxZVUpd.jpg

As the roller coaster still wasn’t running, my husband agreed to go on Mickey’s Fun Wheel ONLY if we did the stationary one. He still isn’t over the ride we did 2 years ago on what he called the death trap. I was ok with that as at least we got to go on it!

VWvELP2.jpg

6eNcLhe.jpg

9uH88wk.jpg

weHMQF6.jpg

eqACUZI.jpg

At this point I was hungry as was my husband. We decided to head towards the Pacific Wharf can pick something up in the yummy sourdough bread. There was still seating underneath the awnings by the mexican food place so after we grabbed our food, we headed over there to stay dry.

My husband went with clam chowder in the bread bowl. He was so happy! It was perfectly creamy and had a decent amount of clams in addition to the potatoes. It helped warm his core.

G0nOuV4.jpg

Clam Chowder in Sourdough Bread Bowl

I went with the Turkey Pesto Club (tomatoes removed) While this wasn’t a warm sandwich, it was good. I love a good sourdough and the bacon wasn’t that flimsy microwave kind. The aioli wasn’t overpowering. I didn’t eat the chips as I was more than full from the sandwich itself but we saved those for later.

hQgoRmi.jpg

Turkey Pesto Club - Sliced Turkey, Crispy Bacon, Swiss Cheese and Pesto Aioli on a Sourdough Baguette

Stomach full, we went on The Little Mermaid mainly to see if we would buy enough time for California Screamin to open up as we saw they were finally testing the ride.

OWL3Ww5.jpg

3NkCujC.jpg

The coaster didn’t open up so we left the park as it was still raining and we were cold. Like all sane cold and wet people, we got ice cream as we walked back to resort. I think the looks people gave us during the walk back was 100% worth it. I was very happy with my ice cream cone meant for a child (I <3 rainbow sprinkles) and my husband loved his sundae.

JOJ3WW9.jpg

Cookie Dough Ice Cream in a Waffle Cone Covered in Rainbow Sprinkles

ar1Npr0.jpg

Sundae

Back at the hotel, we both dealt with work again (boo!) and warmed up and waited to see if the storm was ever going to get better before we were going to head back to the parks for more rides and dinner!

JA4RdHG.jpg

I'm sure people did think you were crazy for getting ice cream in the rain! At least you didn't have long waits!

Glad you are totally hooked! It's like a strange weird drug. "Lets spend all this money on pain and suffering and enjoy it!"

We all were novices once so its ok :) The expo was lacking this year in my opinion in comparison to the last two years.

The VIP Experience was a new offering this year. It wasn't cheap, especially for two people as it was $199 + active fees. I'm really glad I did it as the experience was nice. I liked being able to shop without the huge crowds and before everyone else. I liked not having to walk to where the regular bib pick up was especially because of the rain that Thursday as everything was inside the hotel I was staying at. The lunch was just ok (I'll get to that later in my report) and getting all your photos as well were also nice. Your 'special' gift with it was a RunDisney bag + button pin so not much but still something. I liked the lounge as it was never crowded when you walked in there.

Here is the blurb:

Thank you so much for all the info--you are a font, Obi Wan. I feel like a young Padawan :) It *is* a weird drug. I was pretty shocked how much I enjoyed the entire experience. As you said, spending money to spend more money and toast the legs:) The costumes were also a kick. I'm not usually a costume type of gal, but this brought it out in me. We went more the bounding direction this time, but I think we're going full out for Tink :)

That isn't cheap (not unexpected as it is Disney, LOL), but it sounds like it might be worth it just for the early, uncrowded access to shopping. If they offer it again, I'll probably go for it. The only issue is the extra night. We were planning to come down on Thursday so getting access to that first shopping slot would require an extra hotel night. I would assume that they hold stuff back for the Friday slot, but I suspect there is no way to figure that out ahead.

Thanks again, and looking forward to reading the rest of your report!

Thanks from me also for the helpful race-related info. I did Tinkerbell last year and Star Wars this year (half marathons for both) but am still learning about all the bells and whistles that go along with the RunDisney events. I just bought the 2017 Star Wars shoe ornament on eBay (since they were gone by the time I got to the expo on Fri afternoon) and after reading your report, I went ahead and added the bundle that includes the ornament to my 2018 Star Wars registration. I'm actually signed up for the Rebel Challenge for that one. My husband and kids are going to do the 10k with me, and I'm doing the half with CalifroniaGirl09. We're definitely intrigued by the VIP experience depending on whether we can get down to DL early enough to take full advantage, particular for the early access shopping :). From your pictures, it looks like if you sign up for the Rebel Challenge you get the shirts for each of the 10k and half and also the rebel challenge shirt. Is that correct? I was hoping there was something more than just the extra medals for the extra price, LOL.

Oh my gosh!!!!! You got addonitis! How cool!

I'm so happy it came through! We now have 408 points now a year. I think this should be enough now! Boardwalk for Food & Wine Festival Time - Grand Floridian for April and AKV for everything else (thats the points we'll use for other places as well)

I'm sure people did think you were crazy for getting ice cream in the rain! At least you didn't have long waits!

I'm ok with people thinking I'm crazy for the ice cream. My husband would eat ice cream in zero degree weather when we used to live up north years ago. We're just those special people :)

Thank you so much for all the info--you are a font, Obi Wan. I feel like a young Padawan :) It *is* a weird drug. I was pretty shocked how much I enjoyed the entire experience. As you said, spending money to spend more money and toast the legs:) The costumes were also a kick. I'm not usually a costume type of gal, but this brought it out in me. We went more the bounding direction this time, but I think we're going full out for Tink :)

That isn't cheap (not unexpected as it is Disney, LOL), but it sounds like it might be worth it just for the early, uncrowded access to shopping. If they offer it again, I'll probably go for it. The only issue is the extra night. We were planning to come down on Thursday so getting access to that first shopping slot would require an extra hotel night. I would assume that they hold stuff back for the Friday slot, but I suspect there is no way to figure that out ahead.

Thanks again, and looking forward to reading the rest of your report!

I get going the bounding direction! My usual outfits are my sparkle skirts + tank top. I actually had no idea what I was going to wear for the half until the day before. What are you going for with Tink? My husband did a full costume for Princess last year - his only complaint was that his compression pants weren't tight enough and kept falling down during the run. He didn't do a test run though like you should do.

It is worth it for everything you get. We're really happy we did it. We didn't really need 2 of the Photopass for us as we only ended up needing 1 to get all our photos but for right now I'll just save it until next year in case the VIP isn't offered! They won't hold back stuff for the Friday Slot - once they are out, they are out. For the New Balance Shoes, despite being the first ones to get access to it at Star Wars - they didn't have a ton of certain size options for my husband as he is a 7.5 Mens which is a less produced size + women take that one sometimes as well.

Thanks from me also for the helpful race-related info. I did Tinkerbell last year and Star Wars this year (half marathons for both) but am still learning about all the bells and whistles that go along with the RunDisney events. I just bought the 2017 Star Wars shoe ornament on eBay (since they were gone by the time I got to the expo on Fri afternoon) and after reading your report, I went ahead and added the bundle that includes the ornament to my 2018 Star Wars registration. I'm actually signed up for the Rebel Challenge for that one. My husband and kids are going to do the 10k with me, and I'm doing the half with CalifroniaGirl09. We're definitely intrigued by the VIP experience depending on whether we can get down to DL early enough to take full advantage, particular for the early access shopping :). From your pictures, it looks like if you sign up for the Rebel Challenge you get the shirts for each of the 10k and half and also the rebel challenge shirt. Is that correct? I was hoping there was something more than just the extra medals for the extra price, LOL.

I'm happy to share my knowledge! I've learned a lot over the years (some the hard way, some through the boards) and I can definitely explain how it is at the front of the pack and the back of the pack since my husband and I are such different runners. Hopefully eBay wasn't too much over retail for you! Good thing to already add the bundle - although I'm wondering what the "figurine" is. Worst case - eBay it goes!

Do you stay offsite or on-site?

You do get an extra shirt for the Rebel Challenge in addition to the 10K & Half Bibs! Your bib is also used for both races so make sure you don't bend it post 10K!

Break in Rain?!?

Around 4:00PM, we left the hotel to head back to California Adventure. We were shocked to see that Radiator Spring Racers still had Fastpasses available and we totally grab ourselves a pair!

vIvRoEm.jpg

lTE27D7.jpg

California Screamin’ was finally up and running so we got on!

H4NZrh8.jpg

TeakyYN.jpg

We then got our ride on Monster’s Inc and I ran into a Disneyland Social Club/Gang for the first time. That was interesting. We don’t have those at Walt Disney World!

V2rUa2e.jpg

dW0LwNy.jpg

It was almost time for our dinner reservation for Ariel’s Grotto for the World of Color Package. I had decided on Ariel’s Grotto as it was a new place for us to try as we had tried the other places before in 2015 and 2016.

qnye0BZ.jpg

9nkZ5WE.jpg

We checked in and waited as the dinner seating wasn’t starting until exactly 5:30PM.

FEJGxSH.jpg

M50XRwU.jpg

At exactly 5:30PM, we were allowed downstairs and sat. The restaurant was over half empty as there were still people from lunch finishing up. We weren’t entirely happy that we were sat next to the kitchen service area next to a large party with a baby that was almost on top of our table - the hostess ‘fixed’ it by pulling our table a little bit farther away from the baby in the high chair. The menu is small. For your first course, you get a choice of a salad or the soup selection of the day.

I went with the salad (sans blue cheese) and I was happy enough with it. I liked that it had apples and walnuts on it and the dressing wasn’t heavy!

7uXYcFD.jpg

Salad

My husband went with the soup and really enjoyed it.

j1EpyrZ.jpg

Corn and Crab Chowder

For his entree, my husband went with the chicken. He felt this was just ok - as if it was something equal to what you get served at a hotel conference center or something. There wasn’t a lot of flavor to it but at least there was salt and pepper on the table to help fix it!

bx7Nnbj.jpg

Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast - Mediterranean Couscous, Seasonal Vegetables and Natural Jus

I ordered oddly for me. I was split between three dishes but I wanted to get something different than my husband and I figured the pork option was safer than the fish here. The pork was also ok. The Apple-Brandy Compote was the best part as the pork chop was cooked more than I would have liked (again like a hotel conference center) so it was a bit tough.

M6O4IXu.jpg

Glazed Pork Chop - Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables and Apple-Brandy Compote

The dessert plate was a set selection of 3 desserts. The madeleine cookie was my favorite part of it! The creme brulee was basic. My husband stole my chocolate dessert but gave me his creme brulee in return. I guess that is fair!

4SJAaKi.jpg

Trio of Desserts

We felt dinner was just ok. We only selected here as it was part of the World of Color dining package and we knew it would have some of the best views for the show. We still had about an hour to kill before we would need to get to the reserved area for World of Color. We headed back to Toy Story Mania for a rematch. Well, my husband beat me again but someone else in our car beat him!

M2LUHZ1.jpg

HrJC6yH.jpg

Betsy had returned to the park around this time as well. She ended up meeting up with us for our ride on Radiator Spring Racers. It had started raining and was cold! Just look at my ‘solution’ for trying to keep warm!

z2Qnwjw.jpg

When we got off of RSR, my husband looked at me and said there was no way he was going to make it to World of Color. IT was just too cold and the rain was starting back. Betsy was willing to stay with me though since I had the extra ticket :) I said goodbye to my husband and that I would see him when I got done with the show.

Betsy and I headed to The Little Mermaid mainly to avoid the rain while we killed time. My shoes looked awesome in the blacklight!

ODQNVdI.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter