That one time we went BACK to Universal! June 21 Update 6/7 We came, We saw, We tried.

Bethany10

DIS Veteran
We’re back! Like many others, this trip was supposed to happen in 2020. Like many others I spent 2020 creating and then undoing plans as the situation continued to evolve. I am thrilled to be making final decisions and paying things off in prep to leave.

I really enjoyed writing the trip report in 2019, and frequently come back to it, especially as 2020 dragged on. For both new and returning readers, Welcome! And thank you for giving me your time and attention.

Some background:
We are Bethany, long time Dis lurker and reader of trip reports. I’m a graphic designer in the midwest, and have spent much of the last 15 months working from my dining room table (as opposed to my corporate cube). My DH Todd (T in the last report) is along for the ride again, along with our 2 kids. DS Callan (C now 12) and DD Anna (A now 15).

We saved and saved for years to be able to take a bucket list trip to Universal in 2019. It was supposed to be a one and done trip for us (spoiler alert: it wasn’t). Just 3 weeks before we were booked to leave my mom passed away. The previous months had been a whirlwind of her getting sick, recovering then relapsing. Complicating that situation, I had knee surgery in January of ‘19 and just never had the opportunity to recover as I needed to be present for my mom. All of this to say while the trip in 2019 was wonderful and worth doing it was also done in a fog for all of us and for me, a lot of pain. By the end of the trip, I had gotten Todd to agree we really needed to come back when we were in better shape. Our passes weren’t set to expire until June of 2020 and we could fit another trip in without having to renew them.

Insert maniacal laughter here

Our 2020 looked something like this:
March – my you must be in your office if you’re working, no one works from home management sent everyone home for “2 weeks”. The parks shut down with no re-opening date in sight.

April – I begin to sweat that we may not make the June trip. I mean how much longer can this go on? (Insert naive face here)

May – I start cancelling everything and moving to August of 2020

July – me: Masks + August in Florida = No. I start cancelling everything (again) and punt to June of 21

I know many others did this dance as well. Honestly, none of us got sick (very, very grateful for this) and the changes forced on us during quarantine have been mostly positive. I’ve been able to walk daily, and really work on my knee strength. Todd lost his job in June, only to find a better position that he loves in October. While 2020 was horrendous for so many people, we got very lucky that it was a year of growth for us.

Bringing us back to Universal. Once it became clear that we really were going to make the June 21 date, I started to untangle the knot known as our hotel reservations. At one point I had 7 different deposits/cancellations. It was a nightmare, but everyone I talked to was really very nice and accommodating.

Where we wound up: 2 connecting rooms (Todd’s request) at Royal Pacific Resort for 2 nights. When we were down there in 2019, I casually mentioned that you could take a boat from the hotel to Citywalk. Ever since then it’s been, can we stay at the hotel that has the boat? How much is the hotel that has the boat? At one point I was convinced the boat only came to Portofino (one of my many cancelled reservations) the good people on here assured me that we could switch to RPR and still take the boat and save a tidy sum in the process. I’m just excited for Express Pass.

After 2 nights we switch to our “home” resort Cabana Bay. We loved this hotel in 19 and there was never a question as to where we would go once we needed to move on from the Royal Pacific. Again we will have 2 rooms. I had booked the 2 bedroom suite at one point, but switched to 2 family suites once those prices dropped. While I was initially feeling like the 2 bedroom suite cost was prohibitive, I was really sad when we dropped it. It really is a beautiful room. (shhhh don’t tell Todd. I complained enough over the cost I’ll never live it down if he finds out I wish we’d kept the room)

Cabana Bay offers interior (like a hotel long hallways with doors) and exterior (like a motel, you walk out to the parking lot) facing rooms. My preference is interior, and having experienced the view (and noise) of the pool view room last time, I did not change our booking when AP rates did come out cheaper for that room type.
As we did last time I contacted them beforehand to pre-pay for everything. Where I needed to send a fax with my CCd info in 2019, they have switched to an online system now. The rep emailed me a link for all 4 rooms and I was able to pay off the balance all online. It was a very smooth transaction, and I found it much safer than having to fax them my info.

The plan at the moment:
Sunday- we fly in and arrive mid day. Check into the hotel and get that EP. If the parks aren’t at capacity we begin what I like to call the wehaveexpressgooooooooooo strategy. I’m hopeful the parks either won’t be at capacity or Universal will have extended capacity to where it won’t hit that point like it did during spring break.
Monday-heavy park day. With EP I want to maximise our time here.

Tuesday- we move over to Cabana Bay, but will have EP until park close this evening. I may let up on the park touring this day as I suspect we’d wind up on youtube as that family who was shouting at each other in Universal if I asked for a third day of heavy touring.

Wednesday – I give my we don’t do park commando style family a real break. We ended up spending several hours at Disney Springs in 2019, so today is a planned down day in the morning then early afternoon/ evening at Disney springs. I’m hoping to be able to eat dinner here. If C is up early we may just hit volcano bay in the morning.

Thursday – off to Batu! It’s one day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios where Galaxy’s Edge is where I suspect we’ll spend most of our time. This Star Wars fan is really excited.

Friday – back to the Universal parks, or a dedicated day to Volcano Bay.

Saturday – we head home late evening, so I’m thinking we may plan a brunch on property, then spend some time in the parks before packing it in and heading for the airport.

Just about the only things set in stone on this are the hotels and the Disney day. Last time I found that we could go between 3 and 4 hours in the parks then everyone was done and we’d head back to the hotel where Callan and I would either go to volcano bay to swim or hang out at the hotel pool. I’ve deliberately made more of a plan this time as I found there were things I wanted to do that just didn’t get done because we were “winging it”.

I’m also hoping that with Express we can do more those first few days and find the sweet spot between park commando – which we are not- and what should we do now? (AKA where we were in 2019).

So come along with me as we head BACK to Universal for a 2021 family vacation!

Early May update: dining! dining! dining! I keep seeing post after post from people who are operating on the pre-covid you don’t need reservations anywhere saying you must have dining reservations.

One of my goals this trip was to make a more solid plan for the parks. My biggest complaint from 2019 was feeling like we didn’t DO anything. By the time I could get everyone up and TO the parks the lines were 60+ minutes for the headline coasters. I’m hoping to alleviate this with Express pass some, but also by creating a loose plan. The bones of which are going to come from our dining reservations.

Right now, we have dinner at Jakes set for Sunday night (arrival day) this may change to the pool bar depending on how we feel.

Monday afternoon we hit Mythos – Callan is a huge Percy Jackson fan, and I think will really enjoy the theming of the restaurant. The secret goal? Keeping us IN the park to keep going after lunch rather than hit the hotel and be “done for the day”. I’ll let you know if this works or if it’s “I’m done” after lunch.

Tuesday evening we’re set to return to Vivo. This was our favorite meal of the trip in 2019, and I’m really looking forward to it. The secret goal? I want to see the parks in the evening, and hope to herd my family toward the parks rather than the bus back to the hotel on this day. The hopeful goal? Cinematic Spectacular, but right now it’s only running on the weekends.

Wednesday is Disney Springs for us, so no chance of reservations but I’m hoping for a cookie at Gideon's.

Thursday is Disney Park day so QS at Woody’s lunch box and I suspect dinner in the room or off property somewhere.

Friday: Dinner at Cowfish, where we enjoyed a tasty lunch in 2019. Yes, this is a chain restaurant but one we don’t have here and we liked the food. This leaves our morning open if we want to go to Volcano Bay.

Saturday we fly home late afternoon. I have reservations at The Kitchen at the Hard Rock for brunch, hoping to avoid the we hit the park early and need to eat now meltdown that happened in 2019. I don’t want to go off property as the instant we leave we can’t get back in and we’d be unable to go back to the parks.

Of course all of this is subject to change on the day, but if the crowds and limits stay like they are I’m glad to have a plan in place.

Thanks for following my babbling and hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Looking forward to this one Bethany.....

I`m excited for your trip as I do remember how much you loved your previous visit there.....you have some good plans there and ignore the anti "chain restaurant" folks....some chains are fabulous, I remind many The Palm is a chain, and it`s wonderful. Especially love your choices of Vivo, Jake`s and Cowfish.....

More to come please....... ::yes::

Thank you schumi! I don't get the chain haters either, our community is good sized, but still considered "flyover" by many people. Therefore we don't attract things that places like Atlanta and Orlando with the tourist traffic can. I know you guys are fond of The Palm and we also looked at Bigfire, but living in the heart of cattle country a steakhouse just isn't high on our priority list. Good seafood on the other hand is worth its weight in gold when vacationing on the coast.

I'm grateful to those who were saying make reservations, as it's really helped me set up my touring plan. Plus, we knew we wanted to go back to both Vivo and Cowfish so this just cements it.

Callan told me the other day "you're really hyping this trip mom." yeah, I'm just a bit excited. :rotfl2:

At one point I had 7 different deposits/cancellations

I am sure I am not alone in the "I can relate" category.

Excited to hear about your trip. Mythos is one of those places we have always said we were going to try and never have, so hopefully your insight will propel us to make a plan to eat there.

Excited to hear about your trip. Mythos is one of those places we have always said we were going to try and never have, so hopefully your insight will propel us to make a plan to eat there.

It was on my radar for 2019 as well, and it just got bypassed. I feel like we're in some kind of different timestream in the parks. If you don't go in with a specific plan or goal you just don't get it done.

I will be happy to report back our feelings about the meal. As a non coaster person, our downtime at restaurants is actually a really important part of the trip for me. The fact that I don't have to cook makes it a true vacation for me, so bad food does not fly with me. There are some great videos of people enjoying a meal at Mythos if that will help your family come to a decision.

We’re back! The washing machine is chugging, the dog is sleeping (he hates being boarded and I suspect spends the week being very stressed) and everyone is enjoying time away from everyone else after a week of forced family fun.

Let’s kick things off shall we?

Sunday - arrival day. Our original plane tickets had us leaving at 6 am, but southwest pushed us to around 8 a couple of months before the trip. Honestly, I was grateful as I had begun to have significant anxiety over this trip and we are NOT a family of morning people. The dog was left with the daycare people the night before and multiple alarms were set for our slightly later than planned departure to the airport. Shockingly everyone was up and ready to go on time. After a full but smooth and fully masked flight to Orlando we got our first taste of the week - the lines ohhhhh the lines. Have you guys heard about the “revenge” travel that’s happening since everyone was shut down for 2020? It’s real and it’s happening, I suspect much more so in hot tourists spots like Orlando.

I headed to baggage claim with the kids while Todd went down to the rental car desk. He texted the line for Budget was insane. I was really nervous about us actually getting a car and kept having nightmares of them cancelling our reservation or getting down there and told no, no car for you. This did not help matters. Our luggage finally showed up and we plodded down to the rental car area. Only to see this:

Yep that’s the line for budget. We waited over an hour but they DID get us a car! We loaded up, took a wrong turn trying to get out of the parking lot and after an extended tour our of the garage finally got on the interstate. By this point no one had eaten beyond plane snacks and we were all hangry.

The two story McDonalds we ate at last time was convenient, but the drive through lane was wrapped all the way around the building. Something we didn’t realize until we were actually IN it. 45 minutes later we had food and we’re headed to the hotel. My hopes of hitting the parks were rapidly diminishing.

We did find Royal Pacific, and miracle of miracles the line was short. What a stunningly beautiful hotel. I had watched multiple videos of people touring it, and staying here but it doesn’t to the lobby justice. We were swiftly checked in and given the golden express pass/ room keys. Our rooms were connecting with one king bed room and a two queen bed room. This wound up being a fantastic arrangement. We were on the second floor, which is actually a floor below the lobby, which confused me every time. I didn’t spring for a “view” since we were only here for 2 days, and outside the windows was just green landscaping. Once we got unpacked, Callan wanted to hit the pool and I was ready for a drink so we headed that way.

He splashed in the pool while I had something frozen and unremarkable from the bar. Anna and Todd checked out the Tuck Tuck Market while we were doing that and everyone chilled until it was time for dinner.

At one point I was thinking we’d want to eat at the pool, but Todd really wanted to try Jakes, so we regrouped for our 6:00 reservation. We were seated promptly, and encountered the first of many families trying to find somewhere to eat only to be turned away without a reservation. I am so grateful to those of you on here who stressed the need to have them- this happened at almost every restaurant we stopped at. Someone in front of us trying to find a place to land and eat but being turned away. Dinner was pretzel bites which were amazing, both Todd and I had the fish and chips which was fine but huge - like we could have split the portion huge. Anna had the tomato soup which she did not care for (I tried and it and loved it) and Callan had a hamburger- also huge. While the pretzel bites were the best part of the meal, none of us was that impressed. I know many of you on here like Jakes, and in retrospect I think we should have gone for a pizza for the table instead. I would happily go back for the pretzel rods alone.

After dinner everyone returned to the room and collapsed. It had been a long day of travel and lines and I asked everyone to make park opening the following day.

A toast to a great trip!

Last edited:
Day 2 - in the park, but which one?

Day 2 dawned bright and early but we were ready. Ok 3 of us were ready, Todd was still sleeping. I got up and trotted down to the market to get some breakfast for everyone. They have egg and cheese croissants and a nice selection of pastry’s plus a booming coffee bar that sells Starbucks - though it’s not an official Starbucks store like they have in some of the other hotels. The eggs weren’t bad, and served the purpose of giving me enough energy to get through the morning. Soon enough the three of us were dressed and headed for the boat.

View attachment 580345

Why are all my photos sideways?!

I was so happy to actually BE at the parks for early entry. It was 7:30 and studios opened at 8 for EE. This was going to be great. We get there, hop off the boat and assumed the huge line of people we were rapidly passing were people lined up to get into the parks who didn’t have EE. I was quickly disabused of that notion by a team member who informed me this WAS the early entry line. From the gates, across the bridge PAST the NBC bar and around. It was insanity. I took a vote and we decided to wait for the opening of islands instead - at this point it was about 7:45, and Islands wasn’t supposed to open until 9.

We headed over that way and got in the rapidly forming line for islands. I could see the gates from where we were standing, just outside of the turnstiles. within 10 minutes the line behind us stretched over the bridge and wrapped around the opposite way the line for studios had earlier in the morning. Thousands of people with the same idea we had.

My time stamp for this one is 8:15.

They opened the gates at 8:45 and we all streamed in. Anna wanted to ride velocicoaster and Callan wanted to hit Hulk, so she went right and we went left. Todd? Still snoozing at the hotel - smart man.

We waited maybe 5 minutes and they let us into the park itself. Here’s where being a non rider and a people watcher came in handy. There was a mad dash for the lockers as everyone tried to beat the line for hulk. They had been running empty cars to warm up the ride so all I could hear was the frantic opening of lockers and the roar of hulk as the cars launched. I had Callan hand me his stuff and he ran for the EP lane. Next thing I know I hear a car launch and I’m thinking oh they’re running another empty car. Nope, there’s a red shirt in the front row. He got the first launch of the day by himself. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Came off the ride talking a mile a minute and we headed for Spider-Man. Again, express pass for the win, only this time I went with him. I figured out pretty quick that while the ride itself wasn’t going to bother me, the effects would, so I spent most of spider man listening to the audio and hearing Callan react to what was going on. He bounced off the ride, I crawled off and told him I needed to get dad up and moving as I was nervous the parks would reach capacity. Callan wanted to go back on hulk again, so he did that while I got Todd moving at the hotel. We spent the better part of the morning in superhero island, with Callan jumping between hulk, Spider-Man and Doctor Doom. Todd eventually joined us and we set off to connect with Anna who had ridden velocicoaster (eh in her words) as well as Gringotts. She said she couldn’t hear anything and had no clue what was going on.

For as busy as I knew the park was, the crowds were very well dispersed. Callan and I hit Seussland, a huge thrill for us in 2019. Less so this year, but this was largely related to the fact that he wasn’t paying attention on red fish blue fish and got us splashed. He also had started coming down with a cold a few days before we left and this was the day I was beginning to realize he’d passed it on to me. I could feel my throat getting scratchy and my nose beginning to run. Todd and Anna stopped at the henna stand and Anna got a henna tattoo on her hand. It held up really well and is only now beginning to fade.

We walked through the Harry Potter area - crowds there you are - lines for butter beer were nuts, really every cart we saw had at minimum 5-10 people waiting and the lines never seemed to shrink. Even normally those areas get crowded quickly just due to the way it’s designed, but there was no way to social distance. Honey dukes was also packed, but I did manage to get some butter beer fudge.

Finally, it was time for our mythos lunch reservation. We were hot, tired and ready for some AC. While I had hoped to stay in the park after lunch, we actually had gone longer than we did in 2019, and the big news (to me) was that while sore, my knees didn’t hurt! All the work I had done the previous 18 months was paying off, and would continue to pay off the rest of the trip. Mythos was a beautiful restaurant - it was also half empty. The need for reservations has to do with the lack of staff, they just can’t accommodate more diners than what they’re currently taking on. It’s actually nice as the parks were so crowded, and the lines for everything so long to have space when sitting down added to the experience. I had the fork and knife grilled cheese as did Callan. Anna had the sushi and Todd got a chicken sandwich. I loved my dish, they put the sandwich IN the soup. Unfortunately for picky eater Callan he did not care for it, and when I cut up some of my less soup soaked sandwich for him to eat he choked on it, causing further embarrassment. He really wanted to try new things this trip. But kept getting stymied with presentation. we praised his willingness to try new things and tried to make sure he got enough to eat along the way.

After lunch, everyone headed back to the hotel for some down time. Ok, Todd took the kids to the hotel, both of us took the boat but I wanted to putter around citywalk for a bit. This alone tells you how well my knees were doing - willing to shop! Apparently they got on the wrong boat :crazy2: and wound up walking over from a different hotel. I on the other hand got on the correct boat, and enjoyed the ride back.

After a brief rest, I took off for the grocery store while Callan and Todd tried to find the bus for Volcano Bay (AKA Callan’s favorite place on earth). Todd said they waited for the bus, but it never showed. They finally went to the hotel pool and were able to swim for a bit, but Callan got a nosebleed (not unusual with him, especially when he’s got a cold) and they headed back to the room. Having hit walmart and cvs for saline for Cal’s nose I returned to the hotel for some much needed down time. I wanted to eat nachos by the pool for dinner, but Todd voted for pizza from Tuk tuk. The kids wanted pizza as well, so outvoted we enjoyed a couple of pizzas for dinner. Of course, Callan wanted to go back to the pool so I grabbed my iPad and took him down. Once he was happily splashing I grabbed a table in the dining area and ordered my nachos. I knew full well I wouldn’t make a dent but a craving is a craving. Callan came up and had some, but also asked for chicken fingers. Todd joined us later on and we managed to make a decent dent - but if you’ve ever had bula bar nachos you know you need at least 4 people, preferably teen boys with hollow legs to actually finish them.

Eventually we got Callan out of the pool and back to the room to pack up - tomorrow we needed to check out of RP and check into Cabana Bay, our home for the remainder of the trip. Things were going well, but as always moving too fast for me. No drink photo tonight, I was too busy gorging on nachos.

Last edited:

Really enjoying your report. I'm curious why you didn't go into a park on your first day.

Day 3 - the great migration

Day 3 (Tuesday June 1) started slowly, once again I ran down to the market to get a grab and go egg something, the kids had cereal in the room from my walmart run the day before and this time Todd got up with me. We needed to be checked out of the hotel before 11, but our goal was 9.

I believe we met that goal, or shortly thereafter, loaded the car and packed a park bag. We had a question about our bill, so Todd went to the front desk to get that resolved while I rounded up the kids. Of course there was a line at the desk, so we left him there and headed to the boat.

This was going to be our last boat ride, and I for one was really sad about it. it’s such a pretty form of transport and I loved not going with the rest of the sheep through citywalk. I really appreciated it later in the week when I was making a mad dash in for Voodoo donuts one morning on my own. But for today the kids and I enjoyed the breeze and the boat. Once we landed we headed straight for studios, as we had not left Islands the day before. Anna immediately headed to the back of the park and Harry Potter while Callan announced he wanted to ride “everything”. Minions had a 25 minute wait WITH the express pass, so he passed that by and jumped on rip ride rocket. I joined the never ending line to activate one of our mugs for the day. Callan was able to fully ride RRR before I got to the checkout stand. Todd joined us shortly thereafter and I finally was able to get our cup activated and get some caffeine. The boys headed toward Transformers, which Callan wanted to ride. This was one both kids rode in 2019, but Todd didn’t get to. They hopped on and I strolled over to see who was coming out for a photo op next door. Turns out it was bumblebee and he was headed out in like 10 minutes. Callan wanted to get a photo, so once they were done with the ride we hopped in line for that. Got a great photo of the two of us and bumblebee to go with the one I got of both kids and myself and Optimus in 2019.

Here’s the screen shot I sent myself

One of the things I did differently this trip was set mini goals for what I wanted to do each day. I walked away in 2019 feeling like we didn’t hardly do anything in the park, and really wanted to change that up this time. One of my mini goals was to see the Bourne show. We had a solid 45 minutes to kill before the next one started so we headed that way. Anna meanwhile was busily doing spells and riding rides in the HP areas. At some point she also hopped on Fast and Furious. I asked her what she thought and she tried to be polite about it, but failed miserably.

We were one of the first people in for the Bourne show and enjoyed the air conditioning in the big holding room while we waited. As there are no seats in this area I held out as long as I could, but finally lowered myself to the floor and just hoped I’d be able to get up again without making a scene. Eventually they called for the pre-show and Todd helped me up. It wasn’t pretty, but I did get up. Callan, who is too young for the Bourne movies was a bit lost during the pre-show but once they opened the doors and we got to see the main show he was hooked. As an old theatre geek I found this to be an absolutely outstanding production, and highly recommend seeing it. The mix of screen and actor is seamless, and even if you’re not familiar with the Bourne stories the action is still engaging. The show did break down in the middle, but the guy came out and spoke to us about some of the backstage magic while they got it fixed. The delay was not long, maybe 5 minutes? An eternity in theatre terms, but for a theme park audience very manageable. They were able to pick back up and finish the show.

Anna was waiting for us in Simpsons land, and we quickly made our way over there. The new normal was well in place and the line out the door of Fast Food Boulevard and it’s surrounding eateries was down the street. We managed to snag a table outside, but under an umbrella and work out a mobile order. I stepped inside to figure out how to tell the phone we had a table and the frazzled cast member was incredibly helpful. I can’t describe the number of people in line/eating, it was truly unbelievable. Out the door to the boulevard and past the taco truck which had it’s own line. Hundreds of people. It took over an hour for our food to arrive- Todd took Callan to play the carnival games, then when they got done with that he went off to ride simpsons. I ran to get our cup refilled at a cart by men in black. Anna sat and poked at her phone. The heat was brutal. Our food finally came, I had the chicken and waffle, Anna had chicken strips Todd had the grilled chicken sandwich and Callan had the burger. The food was good, and fresh, especially when you take into account how much the team members are hustling right now. There’s simply not enough people to meet the demand. I had the fruit with my chicken sandwich and it was excellent - very fresh.

‘the view of the line from our table

The food actually arrived before Callan got back from riding Simpsons, so he was behind the rest of us eating. Anna and I took the opportunity to start walking back to the busses so I could get us checked into Cabana Bay. We left Todd and Callan in studios with the plan that they would grab the boat back to RP, get the car and meet us there. One of Callan’s little goals this trip was a big pink donut from Springfield. He managed to get one before we all sat down to eat lunch, so I got to haul that back with me through citywalk. While my knees weren’t nearly as bad as 2019 the only thing I can remember from the trudge back was how sore I was and how hot it was. It had to be 2-2:30 so the prime heat of the day at this point. We finally made it to the Cabana bay stop which is under the escalator on the right side, so shaded but no benches. There was also no bus. For over 30 minutes. We saw several for surf side dockside, but no CBBR busses. By this point the line stretched past the escalator and was threatening to overtake the aventura stop.

Finally the bus showed up followed by another one, so I think someone must have radioed that they had a backup. We sat down and Todd called. They had ridden the boat back and were sitting in the cabana bay parking lot, had I checked in yet? Nope. He tried checking us in but because the reservation was in my name he couldn’t. They had a seat on the couches in the lobby and waited for us. the bus let us off and we made our way to the lobby where check in was swift. We had 2 connecting family suites on the 5th floor, or did we?

Stay tuned for the continued adventures of the great hotel migration

Last edited:
Really enjoying your report. I'm curious why you didn't go into a park on your first day.

Thank you!
As to your question, a couple of reasons:
1. We’re the sloth family. We don’t move fast and we tire easily.
2. So we landed at noon (ish) Orlando time. By the time we got the car it was 1:30, by the time we got out of the airport, tussled with the McDonalds Drive thru and got to the hotel it was nearly 4. We had been up since 6.

For our family gathering the energy to go the parks was not going to happen. I know that’s not everyone’s way of thinking, but for us it was not worth doing. That and It was more important to me to have everyone up early the next day to make early entry.

Great Hotel Migration continued

So Cabana Bay gave us rooms on the 5th floor - 2 connecting family suites. Todd and Callan loaded up the luggage rack and the kids and I headed up to 5 (Continental building) to check out the rooms. I open the door and the first thing I see is a bowl on the counter. Then I look at the beds - unmade. Do I have the right room? Yep right room. So I texted the front desk, um the room hasn’t been serviced. The kids room was clean so we unloaded everything there and I took the luggage rack back downstairs and got in line at the desk to figure out what was going on. In the mean time Todd had come upstairs taken one look at the room and called the front desk to explain the situation. I was in line when he called and told me to come back up, they were changing our room.

One of the managers apparently came up, apologized profusely and gave us new room keys for the 7th floor along with 2 meal vouchers per room. She indicated bell services would be along shortly. I sat with Todd for about 5 minutes waiting for bell services, but the kids called and asked if I could come upstairs and join them.

In 2019, we had a pool view room which was cheaper than the non view on the 6th floor, very close to the main elevators. It was great from that point of view as we didn’t have far to walk from the main lobby if we needed anything. The issue was the noise, from the pool, the hall etc. We wound up getting Anna earplugs it was so bad. Having learned that lesson I kept our slightly more expensive parking lot view for this trip. The flip side of this is we were at the complete opposite end of the three halls from the main elevators. As in the last set of family suites at the end of the building. The walk from the main lobby took forever and we had to carefully plan anything that required going to the main elevator bank. However, if you don’t mind the walk there was total silence for the remainder of our stay.

After a brief rest in the room, Callan wanted to take his float carefully packed away since 2019, and hop in the pool. I went down with him hoping to replace my sit and ride that disappeared on our last night of that trip but the float shack closes at 6, and we just missed it. We picked up dinner from the pool food area and finished the evening watching Callan swim while I rested (maybe fell asleep I plead the 5th on that one) in the beach chair.

FYI for those of you who care about such things, the floats they have now aren’t nearly as nice as the ones we got in 2019. They’re fluorescent and don’t have the handles on them. They do still have the sit and ride and those look the same. I carefully made sure I locked up Callan’s float if I was leaving the chair for any reason. also there is an air pump next to the shack for use when its

A brief note on Cabana Bay: I love this hotel. The theming, the room set up. it was perfect for us in 2019, and honestly not bad this trip either. But. She is showing her age, I don’t know if it’s a Covid related lack of staff or what but things like the rooms not being cleaned when we were checked into them. bell services never did show up to help us move our suitcases, Todd finally called me and we just hauled them up to the 7th floor ourselves. The ice machine on our end of the building didn’t work, so I had to go down to the next set. The coin machines in the laundry didn’t work on the 6th floor i had to go down to 3. I turned my pillow over the first night and there was a small stain on the pillowcase. Stuff like that. I think our family is ready to try another hotel should we decide to return. I do think however, for families with younger kids the family suites are a perfect setup. And having 2 of them connected was a great amount of space for us.

our dinner poolside

Up next, Disney Disney Disney and maybe even a little Volcano Bay

Last edited:
Day 4 - The Disney portion of our program

Day 4 (Wednesday) dawned bright and early. This was the first day of the trip without express pass, and I had agreed to let everyone sleep in a bit. Also, remember when I said I felt my throat getting scratchy? Yeah at this point I was in full blown cold mode. Not fun in normal times, and even more so when you're coughing in the middle of a pandemic. I felt like wearing a button that said it's a cold and yes I'm vaccinated every time I started coughing. In short, all of us needed a bit of sleep.

Today's plan was to spend some time at Disney springs, a place we truly enjoyed in 2019 and I wanted to give us more time there this year. At first I thought we'd go in the afternoon and eat dinner there, but no one was interested and of course all the sit down restaurants are Disney based so there were no reservations to be had at all. We decided to enjoy a leisurely morning in the room and head out when they opened at 10. I got an omelet from bayliner which was huge, but I split it over 2 mornings. The breakfast potatoes were excellent. While not busy, you could tell the hotel was "full". Housekeeping was a constant presence up and down the halls delivering sheets and towels and turning rooms as fast as they could.

We headed to Disney springs around 10, and quickly got in line to go through security - is this new? I don't remember it from 2019. They were checking bags and wanding people. Anna immediately set off on her own, Todd wanted to hit the Pele store and Callan wanted to go to Lego. My goal was Gideon's cookies. These guys are a small batch bakery local to Orlando that opened a shop in Disney springs and quickly blew up. They have staff outside the shop and you check in to the virtual line for a return time. By mid day the virtual line can reach up to 3 hours. We got there at 11 and the line was about an hour (in reality only 45 minutes). I put on a mask to talk to the staff person outside and was treated to my first taste of masking in 1,000 degree heat. Folks, be kind to the team members working in the brutal Florida sun masked, it's not pretty.

With a return time of an hour Callan and I set off for where the phone told me the Lego store would be. It led us to the M&M store instead :cool:. Callan and I both wanted to do the custom M&Ms where you can have them printed, but the machine was down - not sure if it was mechanical or covid related. We each got a small cup to fill from the flavors on the wall and what did he get? Skittles. Yep, visit the M&M store, get skittles. sigh. I got dark chocolate M&Ms as I maintain they're hard to find (Todd says he sees them all the time). Having found a couple of shirts at Pele Todd joined us at M&M and told Callan he knew where the Lego store was. we headed back that way and they dropped me off at Gideon's to wait for my return time. I got the text quickly and jumped in line. I knew the inside of the place would appeal to Anna so I was texting her to come join me. I waited maybe 10-15 minutes in line, enough time for Anna to find me and we both headed inside. I have video of the inside of the shop which I can post here. it was very dark, gothic and smelled amazing. It's also really small, and I can completely see why they structure the line the way they do. Because it was June 1, and the beginning of pride month the monthly slice was rainbow pride cake. Check them out on instagram to see how big the slices are. they also offer cookies, each one is a 1/2 lb and "bites" quarter slices of cookie dipped in dark chocolate. I was juggling my phone, my order in my head and my kid and her impressions of it so I kind of panicked when we got in there. The people working were great, and we did get our order in. We got out and I looked at the person working outside and said "that was like whoosh". She said she gets that a lot.

We headed to join Todd and Callan who were camped out outside basin (bath bombs and a big reason I love Disney springs). Anna joined them while I dropped a significant portion of my travel budget on bath bombs i can't get here. We did some additional shopping, I got a dole whip and checked out the disney cruise line pop up store in the marketplace. No one cared for the lunch options at the springs, and Anna found a nearby Asian restaurant she wanted to try so we headed for the exit. My last bit of business I needed to do was print our tickets, purchased pre-pandemic of course, for our Disney day tomorrow. I finally found guest services, gave my name and enjoyed the air conditioning until it was my turn. The cast member found me, printed my tickets no problem and gave me some great advice on getting a Rise of the Resistance boarding pass for the following day.

That done, I joined my family at the car and we headed for the Asian place (China Tea, not bad for those of you who enjoy off property dining, though the dining room is closed due to covid so we got it to go). It was next door to a Publix so we took the opportunity to do some shopping and I got some cold meds to keep my cough under control while we waited for our food.

one of our cookies:

Up next our afternoon stroll through Volcano Bay.

Last edited:
That was one heck of a line for a car! And then the EE line......crikey.

You had some lovely food and yes, the nachos is something to behold from the Bula Bar.

Glad your knees didn`t give you any issues on your trip, that is good news. It makes such a difference being able to walk without pain.

You did manage to do plenty of things ride wise, glad you all had so much fun. I`m sorry you didn`t feel Cabana Bay was as good as before, I know you loved your visits there.

Hope your cold improved too......this last year you`re terrified to cough or sneeze in public......

Thanks for the kind words. We came back late Saturday and spent Sunday unpacking and gathering myself for the week. Of course today is back to work.

Thank you for taking the time to do a trip report. Lots of super helpful information -- although the line photos are pretty terrifying. I look forward to reading more.

Thank you for taking the time to do a trip report. Lots of super helpful information -- although the line photos are pretty terrifying. I look forward to reading more.

there were so. many. people.

I think it's a combination of more people traveling in general and Universal not requiring masks vs Disney asking people to keep them on for queues and indoors. Certainly there is no social distancing happening at either park. If this makes you nervous at all, then my advice would be to not go because people are out in force.

Day 4 continued

So, we hit Disney springs in the morning, I got my cookies and bath bombs. Picked up lunch from a local restaurant and headed back to the hotel. After lunch, and taking my cold meds (the better of the two in my opinion) Callan asked to walk over to Volcano Bay.

Cabana Bay enjoys it's own path to VB, which allows you to bypass the main security entrance. One of the biggest perks of this hotel for us is that we can spend the morning in the park and the afternoon at VB. Anna decided to come with us so we left Todd in the hotel room and headed over. The clouds looked ominous but it was still sunny right up until it wasn't. We had just walked under the awning to scan our passes when the heavens opened up and it started to pour. Both kids took off for the wave pool which stays open unless there's lightening in the area while I huddled under the area where you scan your tickets to see if it would let up. When it didn't I threw a towel over my head and walked as quickly as I dared to find a chair.

The one nice thing about the rain is it does clear the park out quickly and I was easily able to find a chair with an umbrella. The rain stopped about 10 minutes after we arrived, and I passed the time listening to the waves with my book. Anna decided she'd had enough pretty quickly so I sent her back to the hotel by herself with instructions to check in with me once she got there. Thrilled with being able to do this on her own she took off. Callan was frustrated with not being able to find any of the places to tap in to ride the slides, so we took off to find the tapu tapu station for the big slide in the volcano. This is a common complaint with this park, and one I agree with. The rides all have these great Polynesian names which I'm sure looked great on paper in a boardroom when the park was being planned out, but when you're 12 (or mom of 12) you just want the slide to be called the one in the volcano (the Ko'okiri Body Plunge FYI). We did find it and it had a 45 minute wait. He tapped in and we found the lazy river which he happily took off on.

I took the opportunity to stretch my legs and walk around. alllllllll the way around the park! I was so pleased with myself I made it all the way around just taking in the sights and the people. Lots of the kiosks were closed and as had been the case all week the lines for the ones that were open were long. I made my way back to my chair and checked the time, 5:00. then i discovered VB closed at 6 that day. I gave it 15 minutes then packed up and started walking toward where I left Callan in the lazy river. no sign of him. I paced a bit back and forth, took a photo at the selfie station then back to the lazy river. still no Callan. My normal form of tracking my children is of course through their phones, as he was IN the water somewhere that wasn't going to happen. Todd says I panic too easily, who me?

I finally figured out where the body plunge slide deposited its riders and just hung out there. Low and behold my waiting paid off and my kid appeared wet and happy to have ridden the slide. We hot footed it out of the now closing park. Side note- I saw several people with trays full of food they had been waiting for. I didn't look at my phone but it had to be close to 6 by then. Do they let you stay in the park if you had been waiting for food? kick you out with the food? how does this work?

The path back always seems longer than the path in, and we stopped at the lazy river pool to leave our hotel towels. Callan wanted to keep swimming so I called Todd to come sit with him as I was done for the day. He came down and ordered dinner for himself, but Callan didn't stay long.

We wrapped up the evening with a stern warning from me that I wanted everyone up and ready to go by 7:30 tomorrow. Our one day at Disney's Hollywood Studios was approaching and with it my most anxiety filled moment of the trip - would we get a pass for Rise of the Resistance?

stay tuned!

Last edited:
Nice VB day, it does sound lovely.

Looking forward to reading about your Disney day, have enjoyed it a lot so far Bethany.... ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter