The 2011 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has done the kayak adventure at VB. If so, I would appreciate any details and your opinion on it. Also wondering if that's something you can reserve ahead of time.

Thanks!

FYI for those of you who fly into Melbourne airport.

I just purchased tickets for my parents on Delta. Grand Rapids, Michigan to Melbourne for $200 round trip. That's a pretty good deal, in my opinion.

I checked multiple dates around Christmas. Only once have I seen round trip prices lower than that. It might be worth checking out from other airports if you are planning a VB trip around the holidays.

Just wondering how hard it is to book a Beach Cottage? Our group seems to be growing and we are still 9 months out from our dates...

On the last evening of our 5 night stay.
The wind has been with us all week but the rain didn't impact much of anythign until today with has been a constant drenching downpour.
We had a studio in building 12 with an ocean view. Only problem started with the rain. The carpet near the patio door kept getting wetter and wetter. We finally had to change rooms tonight.
Ocean was too rough to swim in since we arrived. I got knocked on my butt in only thigh deep water several times. And it has only gotten worse with the wind.
But the pool has been great. My 9yo DD has loved the organized activities.
We really enjoyed the seafood buffet, the campfire, Green Cabin room, and Lorenzo the CM.

On the last evening of our 5 night stay.
The wind has been with us all week but the rain didn't impact much of anythign until today with has been a constant drenching downpour.
We had a studio in building 12 with an ocean view. Only problem started with the rain. The carpet near the patio door kept getting wetter and wetter. We finally had to change rooms tonight.
Ocean was too rough to swim in since we arrived. I got knocked on my butt in only thigh deep water several times. And it has only gotten worse with the wind.
But the pool has been great. My 9yo DD has loved the organized activities.
We really enjoyed the seafood buffet, the campfire, Green Cabin room, and Lorenzo the CM.

That is the weather we had last year :) I was hoping for calmer seas and less nrain when we leave in two days....hope you enhjoyed your trip despite the weather.

The family and I are heading to VB next weekend! We had reservations to stay there earlier this past summer but it was canclelled due to work. Which sucked because we like to start summer by kicking it off at VB. However we did book for October for we have a 3 day weekend. It's supposed to be in the mid 80's and sunny. I'm looking forward to the pool, activities and eating at Squidlips. Me and my boys want to try fishing this time. Wish us luck.

Just wondering how hard it is to book a Beach Cottage? Our group seems to be growing and we are still 9 months out from our dates...

My guess is that you would have to own VB to get a BC in July, but maybe you'll be lucky!:wizard:

We have been to WDW more times than I can count BUT I always wanted to stay here and every time I've looked into it the rates have been really high or there was no availability but FINALLY they were running a wonderful FL resident rate for these few months and I decided to take advantage of it. :thumbsup2

I reserved an Ocean View Inn room for mid-November (just before the big TG holiday)...hoping for comfy (non-rainy) weather.;) DD is 13 so I'm hoping she'll be into some of the activities without me accompanying her (I'd like to use the work out room and maybe a possible massage... we'll see), but definitely need to work-out. Anyone use the work-out room there? Do you know what type of equipment there is? Ideally I'd like to go for an outside run first somewhere along the grounds. Is there an area to jog around the resort?

Also we do have a reservation for the character breakfast on Saturday morning, other than that and a quick day trip to Melbourne I'm trying to get some dining ideas. I keep seeing a place called Squid Lips mentioned, how far is it from the resort?

Any other suggestions while we're staying there? We're staying from a Friday to a Tuesday and we'll probably head to Melbourne either Sunday or Monday for the day. DD loves the zoo there and we have to visit our favorite restaurant on the water there (Grills)...since it's not too far, we're going to make a day of it. But otherwise open to other suggestions when we get bored of the beach and/or pool. (we may also head to the outlets for a few hrs one day)...:goodvibes

I reserved an Ocean View Inn room for mid-November (just before the big TG holiday)...hoping for comfy (non-rainy) weather.;) DD is 13 so I'm hoping she'll be into some of the activities without me accompanying her (I'd like to use the work out room and maybe a possible massage... we'll see), but definitely need to work-out. Anyone use the work-out room there? Do you know what type of equipment there is? Ideally I'd like to go for an outside run first somewhere along the grounds. Is there an area to jog around the resort?

Any other suggestions while we're staying there? We're staying from a Friday to a Tuesday and we'll probably head to Melbourne either Sunday or Monday for the day. DD loves the zoo there and we have to visit our favorite restaurant on the water there (Grills)...since it's not too far, we're going to make a day of it. But otherwise open to other suggestions when we get bored of the beach and/or pool. (we may also head to the outlets for a few hrs one day)...:goodvibes

There is a running/walking path that runs parallel to the resort, along the road. It is flat and partially shaded (at least it was in the early am when I ran on it this summer). I'd recommend that path if you want to run on a hard surface. Or you could try running on the beach. The gym has very basic equipment - a couple (3 or 4?) treadmills, some eliptical-type machines and some weights. I used the treadmills and they worked fine.

The one activity suggestion I have is to go kayaking. We've taken the kayak trip through the resort the past two years and have absolutely loved it. We saw manatees, jumping fish (mullets?), and lots of birds on our trip. The guides were great. And mid-way through the trip, we stopped on an island for a snack and break. My DDs (11 and 9) really loved it.

I hope you love Vero as much as we do. My girls are already talking about next year's trip!

There is a running/walking path that runs parallel to the resort, along the road. It is flat and partially shaded (at least it was in the early am when I ran on it this summer). I'd recommend that path if you want to run on a hard surface. Or you could try running on the beach. The gym has very basic equipment - a couple (3 or 4?) treadmills, some eliptical-type machines and some weights. I used the treadmills and they worked fine.

The one activity suggestion I have is to go kayaking. We've taken the kayak trip through the resort the past two years and have absolutely loved it. We saw manatees, jumping fish (mullets?), and lots of birds on our trip. The guides were great. And mid-way through the trip, we stopped on an island for a snack and break. My DDs (11 and 9) really loved it.

I hope you love Vero as much as we do. My girls are already talking about next year's trip!

We moved down here about 2 1/2 years ago, and our son just came to visit and wanted to go kayaking. My wife had heard stories about it being the manatee mating season, and are more active now and causing problems for kayakers. Well, we went anyway.

First, I don't recommend the tandem kayaks unless you are an experienced kayaker. They are much more difficult to control than if you were in one by yourself. Two, watch out for the manatees. They are very active right now. We rented kayaks at Sebastian Inlet Marina and there were several manatees just inside the marina cove that we had to get past. Then about an hour into our trip while we were just paddling along enjoying the scenery, we came up about a foot out of the water atop the back of a manatee, and then just dropped right back down, with water rushing in and drenching us. We were lucky that we didn't turn over as others have when encountering these huge water elephants. At the same time as we were being launched into the air, another one about 10 yards away also created a huge splash just off our side. It looked like we had just hit an underwater mine, which then set off an adjoining one. Needless to say, we sat quietly for awhile before slowly leaving that area. They are hard to avoid, because the water is too dark in the river and it is generally only 3 to 5 feet deep, and they swim slowly only surfacing occasionally, so they could be right underneath you and you wouldn't know it. I think the next time I try kayaking, it will be in a kayak by myself and it will not be mating season for the manatees.

Updated Rollcall:

10/3 – 10/6 cemeb4dk
10/3 – 10-7 mic_KY_mouses
10/4 – 10/9 kimkreis
10/5 – 10/9 LittleBoPeep
10/14 – 10/16 ChrisMouse
10/16 – 10/22 treehugnmama
10/19 – 10/22 CruznLexi
10/21 – 10/27 hopefully
10/25 – 10-31 Leanne1977
10/27 – 10/29 gortman65
10/29 – 11/3 glokitty
10/30 – 11/2 Muushka
11/3 – 11/6 wyodan
11/10 – 11/14 chepic
12/23 – 12/28 conciergekelly
12/24 – 12/30 Pattiwig
12/29 – 1-3 pit303

1/15 – 1/21 bobbiwoz
2/12 – 2/15 auntsue
2/16 – 2/19 backyardponder
2/17 – 2/25 robhawk
3/9 – 3/16 tink1969
3/12 – 3/17 2gr8DisneyKids
3/18 – 3/20 TiszBear
3/18 – 3/23 BernW
4/1 – 4/5 job09
4/3 – 4/5 starbox
4/10 – 4/19 iloveokw
6/15 – 6/17 bobbiwoz
6/20 – 6/24 wigdoutdismom

OOOOhhh the horror. I couldn't get a flight home for the Monday so we are going to have to stay an extra day.....11/10-11/15....:lmao:

I put in for an Inn room with beach view versus the studio that we booked....fingers crossed that it comes through. I think it will work better with 4 people. That way 2 people aren't stuck on the pull out couch (never comfortable!)

che

In case any of you were following the Tour de Turtles, Lightening (the Vero Beach Sea Turtle) is doing very well. Somewhere off the coast of Cuba now. The DVC news also said that 53 of her 90 eggs on Vero Beach survived the storms and all the baby turtles made it successfully out to sea. I love good endings. :goodvibes

OOOOhhh the horror. I couldn't get a flight home for the Monday so we are going to have to stay an extra day.....11/10-11/15....

OH!! You poor dear!!!
:flower3::grouphug::flower3:

I'd park myself on the balcony outside the Green Cabin Room and try to "make do" as best you can!!!

;)

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl:

OH!! You poor dear!!!
:flower3::grouphug::flower3:

I'd park myself on the balcony outside the Green Cabin Room and try to "make do" as best you can!!!

;)

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl:

Will do....we will be there for 4 days now, so each of us are in charge of the bar bill 1 day each.....I think we will just fine!! No husbands, no kids, no cell phones!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

che

My husband and I are looking forward to vacationing at Vero Beach :beach: for the first time, after 2 days at the Food & Wine Festival. In IT, we plan to work some, and relax a lot.

Flying in from DC, and we always overpack. Well, this time we are taking only carry-on luggage. Any tips? If you see us wearing the same clothes over and over, rest assured that they are clean - staying in a 1BR with washer/dryer! :flower1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter