The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

I went to Athens in 2008 as part of a short study abroad trip and it was hands down my FAVORITE stop. The food and sights just cannot be beat. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip!

October 11th- Zakynthos, Greece

This is going to be an interesting stop for me. My folks aren't going to get off the ship, and Mikki procrastinated in making her shore excursions so will miss the one I chose- a Jeep tour of the island which includes a stop at the famous Shipwreck Beach. BEACH TIME!!!! Woohoo!!!

1661964413571.png

I went to Athens in 2008 as part of a short study abroad trip and it was hands down my FAVORITE stop. The food and sights just cannot be beat. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip!
I am so excited for that stop! I don't think the ruins are nearly as well preserved as Ephasus, but the columns and history!! Top notch!!

It cuts a us a whole day short of touring Venice
Oh that’s a shame. I missed a touring day in Venice and still regret it.
I picture myself firmly planted in a chair by the pool with a good book.
Sounds wonderful. :)
Need recommendations by the way!
Nothing in particular comes to mind, but I’ve been re-reading Grisham’s books. Forgotten some… but they sure are good.
View attachment 695635

Offending picture...don't disturb the rocks
How dare you!?!?!?!!!!

:rolleyes1
Santorini seems to be the Darling of of Greece.
My parents still talk about this 40 odd years later.
I'm pretty smitten with these windmills and hope I can capture then on "film" the way I picture it. :)
I bet you will ::yes::
Oct 10th- Chania, Crete!

This wasn't even on my radar as a port I'd have considered, but I sure am pretty interested NOW!
I can see why! Beautiful!

Oct 1-2 Travel to Venice
Oct 3 Travel from Venice to Ravenna where the cruise actually departs from
Oct 4 At Sea
Oct 5 Olympia, Greece
Oct 6 Santorini, Greece
Oct 7 Ephesus, Turkey
Oct 8 Mykonos, Greece
Oct 9 Athens, Greece
Oct 10 Chania, Crete
Oct 11 Zakynthos, Greece
Oct 12 At Sea
Oct 13 Venice
Oct 14 Florence
Oct 15 Florence/Venice
Oct 16 Bari, Italy
Oct 17 Puglia Region Tour and Agriturismo
Oct 18 Naples
Oct 19 Pompeii
Oct 20 Amalfi Coast
Oct 21 Naples
Oct 22 Rome
Oct 23 Rome/Ostia Antica
Oct 24 Rome
Oct 25 Tuscany (Montepulciano, Pienza, San Gimignano, Siena)
Oct 26 Tuscany (Petronagno, Montecatini Terme, Pistoia)
Oct 27 Tuscany (Petrognano, Lucca, Montecarlo)
Oct 28 Bologna, Modena, Parma
Oct 29 Venice
Oct 30 Venice
Oct 31 Fly Home
Holy cow. This sounds incredibly epic. Trip of a lifetime!

9 Days and Counting! One more quick long weekend trip to the Baltimore area before then, but we are still packing and taking care of last minute details. After the cruise, we'll head to Florence for a couple of days. Anara will have joined us so this will be the short few days that we all overlap!

1663863751870.png

Next Stop: Puglia/Bari Region. The East Coast on the Adriatic Sea- Ridiculously excited to see the Trulli architecture for myself! Did I mention we'll be staying at an Agriturismo called Cucina in Masseria?

https://cucinainmasseria.it/

The Trulli homes near Alberobello:

1663959219201.png

:wave2:

Just leaving a placeholder so I hopefully remember to catch up next week. Was just finishing reading through your LAST TR, but ran out of time to quote-post before turning off the computer for the weekend.

Hey Everyone!

I am loving your replies and interaction here! Truly!!! Just super busy with last minute things I need to get done like clearing 10,000+ photos off my icloud storage and off the devices (backed up first, of course) which basically took me all day (not joking), re-packing for my Baltimore trip this weekend and figuring out my packing stuff for Italy, paying bills, you know.... the usual pre-month-long trip stuff.

I've made all of my little laminated itinerary flip cards and they are ready to go, I've checked and re-checked all of our pre-purchased train and flight tickets for in-country things, all of our city passes and museum tickets, and bought a new lens cap for my trusty Tamron 18-400. Now, I will see my grandkiddlies tomorrow for a short visit, then off to Maryland/VA, then..... we depart on the 1st. I can hardly breathe I'm so:

EXCITED!

RELIEVED! After 3 years of postponing, cancelling, re-planning, losing a butt-ton of money, etc... I can hardly believe it's actually going to happen!

NERVOUS! (About that I WILL forget. Because this is Steppe, you know it has to happen.)

CURIOUS! If all of my hundreds of hours spent planning will be of any use whatsoever.

Know I am reading all of your lovely comments and am so happy you're sharing in my enthusiasm and anticipation. :)

Last edited:
Have a wonderful trip. I have friends, who have traveled to Italy twice during COVID and had no problems whatsoever.

Myself, I've been there twice (July, 990 and September1998) on climbing and hiking trips. The first trip was a month long. We started in Munich and climbed the Grossglockner in Austria, then completed several climbs in the gorgeous Italian Dolomites. The area is a hiking paradise located near the Olympic City of Torino. We then ascended Marmolada before traveling to the Brenta Dolomites near Madonna di Campiglio. From there we traveled to Zermatt to ascend the Matterhorn and the Zinal Rothorn, before heading to Chamonix to climb Mont Blanc. On the second trip we did a 110-mile Italian trek called the Alta Via 4. We had wonderful weather on both trips.

I do remember the fantastic food and gelato. But driving there was crazy, especially in the mountains. We also visited Venice on the end of the second trip. It's one of the most interesting and beautiful cities I've been to. And, while there don't forget to take a boat over to the island of Milano to check the glassmaking.

Have a wonderful trip. I have friends, who have traveled to Italy twice during COVID and had no problems whatsoever.

Myself, I've been there twice (July, 990 and September1998) on climbing and hiking trips. The first trip was a month long. We started in Munich and climbed the Grossglockner in Austria, then completed several climbs in the gorgeous Italian Dolomites. The area is a hiking paradise located near the Olympic City of Torino. We then ascended Marmolada before traveling to the Brenta Dolomites near Madonna di Campiglio. From there we traveled to Zermatt to ascend the Matterhorn and the Zinal Rothorn, before heading to Chamonix to climb Mont Blanc. On the second trip we did a 110-mile Italian trek called the Alta Via 4. We had wonderful weather on both trips.

I do remember the fantastic food and gelato. But driving there was crazy, especially in the mountains. We also visited Venice on the end of the second trip. It's one of the most interesting and beautiful cities I've been to. And, while there don't forget to take a boat over to the island of Milano to check the glassmaking.
You’ve had quite the adventures!! I had a friend just climb Chamonix as well and do that same hiking trail. I imagine it is breathtaking!

Unfortunately we lost a day in Venice because they no longer allow cruise ships to dock so we have to spend the day getting to the port city of Ravenna. Bummer! So no time for Murano this trip. Ah well!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter