The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Signing on. I hope to get caught up one of these days. On a side note, I visited Bowling Green one summer in my teen years (just a couple of years ago). I remember going to Mammoth Cave.

Hey Friends!

I AM reading you comments as we truck along. We’re just over half way through this mega road trip and we’ve seen some incredible country. I have limited internet (my cell data is pretty much done) and it’s a lot of driving. I’ll keep posting a few teasers each day, but I’ll wait to reply until I get a bit more settled. Trying to live in the moment and appreciate what I’m seeing and doing.

Hope you all are well! Keep up the chatter!

And... The resemblance between you two is pretty uncanny!
Absolutely!
I AM reading you comments as we truck along. We’re just over half way through this mega road trip and we’ve seen some incredible country. I have limited internet (my cell data is pretty much done) and it’s a lot of driving. I’ll keep posting a few teasers each day, but I’ll wait to reply until I get a bit more settled. Trying to live in the moment and appreciate what I’m seeing and doing.
Being in the moment is always the best! Thanks for the sneak peeks and travel safely!

D2247D37-0573-4C6F-AA1E-D8DB69A71B0E.jpeg
A margarita in New Mexico... seems fitting. :thumbsup2

It is SO high on my list. Now that I am further East and Canada is open to the US I hope it can happen sooner than later. :D I think a road trip up through our NE would be gorgeous in Fall and would most likely do it then.

Be sure to send me a message and let me know if you're ever planning to come up this way and I'll happily plan for a meet-up! Maine and eastern Canada are beautiful in the fall, and I'm sure the rest of NE as well...just thinking of some of the lush treed areas we drove through on our way down the east coast to Florida and I can imagine how beautiful it would be! <3

I think any gamer who enjoys to cook would. There are some really interesting recipes in it that have an "olde world" feel and that use tons of funky ingredients like juniper berries and other spices I had to order.

That so neat! And what a cool Mom you are for encouraging these cooking adventures! I think Nathan and Zach would probably get along swimmingly.

My basket was upset yesterday when Greg and Marcia called and said they just aren't comfortable with travel right now and don't want to go. I am not upset per se realizing that everyone must do what they feel is best for them. However, it did mean some re-thinking on how we're gonna do some things.

Oh dear! On the one hand, like you, I would understand respect people's different comfort levels with travel these days. Totally. I would probably have a similar feeling. But on the other hand, unfortunate you had to make some changes at the last minute. Hopefully it all turned out for the best! (I'm sure I'll hear more soon enough when you arrive at your destination and have more trip details for us!)

Solution: I'm going to propose to Zach that some of our nights we'll camp along Forest Service Roads or other safer places here and there. My Nissan Rogue has fold-down seats so that we can easily sleep in the car. Unfortunately, it will require a bit of extra planning to find suitable places.

What an adventure! It's nice to have this option when it's just the two of you. I've not much experience with roughing it in the car overnight, but Nathan did this all the time when he was travelling for work.

3) Two fewer people to have to please with eating and stopping.

Response: I'm not sad about this part, and it will actually end up saving us lots of money on food I think. Zach and I are more open to, and even happy about, picnicking or eating fast food for lunches and eating simply for breakfasts than they would have been.

100%! I already have seen a taste of how this could be tricky on your Disney trip with Marcia, and the rest of the world isn't always as accommodating to special diets as Disney either, as I know well. Two people instead of four is half the number of appetites to please.

G&M did say that they will be going there in January "no matter what". Not sure I understand that logic if nothing changes.

Hmm.....:confused3

Nevertheless, my 10 or so boxes of clothes, knick-knacks, kitchen items, bedding, etc... will make its way there. Very sweet of them!

That's very kind! Better late than never :)

Also along the way on Day 5, we’ll stop at Peach Springs, Tribal Headquarters of the Hualapai Tribe. This is where we’ll get some lesser known views of the Grand Canyon area and some other interesting sites. I’ll let you Google it; you won’t be sorry. 😊

I DID Google it! I was NOT sorry! It looks beautiful. <3 As do many of your planned stops.

Moreover, he says the water is pretty low right now and they are seeing a ton of HUGE (up to 50 lb. he says!) carp that have been jumping up and even OVER the boat.

Oh. My. Gosh. o_O

I don’t know if this the swamp version of a tall tale but this is some lore I’m willing to see for myself! He said, “It’s a bit terrifying, but super cool!”. Sold!

Terrifying and cool? Sounds like a recipe for a fun time and an awesome Steppesister trip report!

ODAY’S THE DAY!!!

ADVENTURE IS OUT THEREEEEE!!!!

3D49EEC0-FC7E-4185-BB01-4332E706B164.jpeg

Yay! Off on your new adventure with your boy! I guess by now your trip is nearing its end, and I'm anxious to hear more about it soon :)

:lovestruc

You might be asking if we are having fun. If your answer is "Yes," you'd be 1,000% right. Sing it with me now: America, the Beautiful....

Fabulous! So glad you're having a fun time and seeing so many beautiful sights! Great memories to share with your son.

Day 5 Sneak Peeks:

F2E2D6EB-8245-423D-85C4-A5FC3F9FB5CE.jpeg

Oh my goodness I love this little one so much! A donkey? Mule? I'd really like to have a small hobby farm someday with a donkey...a few chickens...maybe a goat or two...but the donkey is a must. A friend of mine had a donkey from the time she was very young and they grew up together. His name was Small One (I've always assumed probably named after the animated short, but I never asked,) and he was a wonderful companion.

It is SO high on my list. Now that I am further East and Canada is open to the US I hope it can happen sooner than later. :D I think a road trip up through our NE would be gorgeous in Fall and would most likely do it then.
We just returned from our trip to Maine, from Portland to Bar Harbor, and we loved it! We are planning a return to visit more of Acadia National Park next year. It was too early for the fall color change but the weather was fantastic. Kids were back at school so the crowds were low and mostly retired people, like us. :)

We just returned from our trip to Maine, from Portland to Bar Harbor, and we loved it! We are planning a return to visit more of Acadia National Park next year. It was too early for the fall color change but the weather was fantastic. Kids were back at school so the crowds were low and mostly retired people, like us. :)

Yes, depending on where in Maine you're headed, I'd recommend making another trip someday in early-to-mid-to-late October to see the best of the leaves! Colours start really changing for us a little further north around the first week of October, sometimes a little earlier, and I think the further south you go in Maine the later the colours peak. Portland might even stay pretty green until closer to the end of the month? Up in Nova Scotia we're juuuuust starting to see the first few trees changing here, but it's still mostly green. I actually haven't been to Bar Harbor before, but would love to go. (Or "Bah Hah-bah," as my great aunt in Maine calls it 😆.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter