The Aussietravellers Adventures continue... Updated - Day 26 - Part 1

So this is our last day in New York. So what on earth are we doing in the hotel you ask. Well we have been out since about 7.30am and have been walking literally ever since so we are back at the hotel for a rest and to get packed as we leave early in the morning.

So this morning we left the hotel about 7.30am and walked down to Central Park and to the Boathouse Cafe for breakfast. This place is great, so cheap and the food was really good and such a pretty view. I can recommend it for a quick, economical breakfast with in a great setting. So they have the restaurant and the CS type cafe. You can sit inside, we had to order from the counter outside and then we went inside and sat in the window over looking the lake and it was just beautiful. What was also beautiful was the omelette that I had was huge, it was the best omelette I've had so far this trip and it was the cheapest, it was $3.99!!!!! DS's pancakes were also $3.99 and there were three huge pancakes!

DSC02276.jpg

Spinach, Feta, Mushroom Omelette (it does come with Tomato and American cheese to but I had it without those)
DSC02277.jpg

Here is the view of the cafe from the water

DSC02281.jpg

After breakfast we went walking through Central Park. We saw hundreds of dogs being walked along the way.

DSC02274.jpg

We visited the Bow Bridge, famous in lots of movies
IMG_0264.jpg

Then it was off to...
IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

We continued walking around Central Park for a while and then we walked from there up to 35th street :eek: Yes that is a long walk!

When we were there we went to this restaurant....
DSC02306.jpg

Now this restaurant has been there since 1885 and it is still original. It is an amazing restaurant, very dark and very old (not a modern restaurant at all). They have a pub menu and a restaurant menu. We sat in an area where we had both the pub and restaurant menu.

Anyway Keen's Chophouse (which is now called Keen's Steakhouse) has sentimental value to us. A little history of Keen's. Keen's is famous for their hard clay churchwarden pipes. There is/was a pipe club that was started back in the 1800's and ran until sometime in the 1970's. It is no longer operating in the sense that you can no longer get membership to the club and you can no longer go there and smoke the pipes, however the pipes are all still there, they are all over the roofs of the restaurant and also stored in a special storage room and if you have your or your family members pipe number you can request the pipe and see it. You know it's the original pipe as you have to sign the pipe when you get it. There are 90,000 members of the pipe club, including Teddy Rosevelt and Albert Einstein and two of those members happen to be my grandfather and my father. When you would get your pipe you would sign the pipe and it has your member number on it. When you pass away your pipe is kept but it is broken to signify your passing. Anyway when we were coming to NY, my dad said that we must go to Keen's and visit his pipe :rotfl2: (Visiting a pipe sounds funny :rotfl:) So we did. They did not know if they could find it as the pipes are not well organised anymore in order and said we may need to come back in a few days (which we couldn't do as we go in the morning). Anyway it was very exciting when the Managing Director (in his tuxedo) arrived at our table with my fathers pipe.

Here are some photos from inside the restaurant and the roofs covered with the pipes.
DSC02301.jpg

DSC02302.jpg

After our lunch it was off to Macys for a little retail therapy

DSC02309.jpg

We are now back at the hotel resting and getting some packing done.

So we leave the hotel at 6am in the morning for our flight to Orlando :banana: WDW here we come.

I got a lovely little packet from my TA delivered to the hotel here in NY. Here are a few photos.

DSC02212.jpg

Luggage tag packet and booklet filled with vouchers and personalised Photopass
DSC02215.jpg

Inside the luggage tag packet and the coupon/photopass/voucher booklet again
DSC02216.jpg

So that is it until Orlando. Will go and get some packing done, hoping that all of our purchases will fit into our luggage :rotfl2: Only here a week and am already needing to use one of the suitcases packed inside our suitcases :rotfl2:

To everybody travelling soon, have an awesome trip as you will probably be on your way or be here by the time I get online again in a few days.

Loving the Boathouse pictures, I think we must definitely try it this time. Love that pic of your son walking through the avenue of trees. amazing!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed Macy's, it's going to be my shopping destination of choice in New York. Can't wait.

Well it totally looks like you enjoyed New York to the fullest.

Loving the Boathouse pictures, I think we must definitely try it this time. Love that pic of your son walking through the avenue of trees. amazing!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed Macy's, it's going to be my shopping destination of choice in New York. Can't wait.

Well it totally looks like you enjoyed New York to the fullest.

Funny, would you believe that I turned on the camera at breakfast and it died! needed charging! so that one of the Mall and Boathouse, Bow Bridge etc were taken with the iphone 4! The camera on that phone is not bad at all!

Have a fantastic time in NY!

I meant to say I loved the whole pipe story too and the ceiling in that place totally amazes me. What a great little bit of history.

Amazing photos from Top of the Rock! That cruise looks/sounds like fun, I'll keep that in mind next time.

We wandered down to the Boathouse but didn't end up eating there, will do that next time too!

Yay for WDW!! Can't wait to hear how you're enjoying Orlando :)

I am loving reading the aussietravellers adventures. The pics are awesome too. I was looking for a pic of your new Coach bag, but I didn't see one :sad2: :lmao:

Enjoy Disneyworld.

xxx

I am really enjoying your trip report, and the photos. Looking forward to hearing about WDW.

I am LOVE LOVE LOVING your live trip report. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to hearing about WDW. I know nothing about it ( we are sticking with Disneyland until the children are a bit older) but I hope that we will be able to make a visit in a few years time. Hope you have a smooth and safe trip down.

Great updates and pictures of NYC. I really feel like I'm shopping with you....strolling through Central Park.....and packing for WDW. What a shame it's not reality for me :laughing:.

Thanks for taking the time out of your holiday to let us share it with you. I feel like we have been traipsing the streets of NYC with you. I hope WDW is magical. Enjoy your birthday.

I know this may be a dumb question (answered elsewhere!) but did you take a laptop with you are are you posting from a hotel business centre/cafe?

I know this may be a dumb question (answered elsewhere!) but did you take a laptop with you are are you posting from a hotel business centre/cafe?

Not a dumb question at all. I'm on my laptop. I've been posting in the middle night or early hours of the morning when everybody else is asleep and I'm wide awake. Because I'm away for a month and run my own business I have to be online daily, so I got the Virgin Mifi, mobile broadband (wifi), had to buy that and then it's $40 unlimited for 30 days. So right at this moment I'm sitting in the Lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge waiting for the sms to say our room is ready. We were going to go to DTD but have decided to just wait for the room as it should only be about 20 minutes, then we can dump all our hand luggage (including the laptop) and go exploring :cool1:

Loving having the wifi, cause like now and sitting at the airport waiting for the plane I can jump online, check and reply to emails (post on facebook and Dis :rotfl: )

I'm gueesing by now you have dumped your gear in your room and are out and about exploring. I hope the room is fantastic! Looking forward to reading your next update!

Yay for being at Animal Kingdom Lodge! Can't wait to hear all about it :).

I forgot to say how much I loved the pipe story! I love that they found your dad's pipe for you! :love:

I am loving reading the aussietravellers adventures. The pics are awesome too. I was looking for a pic of your new Coach bag, but I didn't see one :sad2: :lmao:

Enjoy Disneyworld.

xxx
Oh I didn't take a photo of the bag. It actually was not too exciting, it is just a bumbag, I have a torn artery in my neck and am not supposed to carry over 2 pounds and carrying a bag all day makes it hurt more, so I have taken to carrying a bumbag (yes a designer one :rotfl: ) to take the strain off my neck :thumbsup2

I am really enjoying your trip report, and the photos. Looking forward to hearing about WDW.

Thank you :goodvibes

I am LOVE LOVE LOVING your live trip report. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to hearing about WDW. I know nothing about it ( we are sticking with Disneyland until the children are a bit older) but I hope that we will be able to make a visit in a few years time. Hope you have a smooth and safe trip down.

Thank you :goodvibes Disneyland is great too! Actually our first day I did say the thing that we love about DL is how we can walk everywhere (like NY, we walked everywhere), where at WDW you have to take a bus or drive (or a boat or monorail) but you have to take transportation, there are few places that you can just walk too like DL.

Great updates and pictures of NYC. I really feel like I'm shopping with you....strolling through Central Park.....and packing for WDW. What a shame it's not reality for me :laughing:.

You will be packing very soon PrincessInOz. Then I will be very jealous of your adventures :rotfl:

Thanks for taking the time out of your holiday to let us share it with you. I feel like we have been traipsing the streets of NYC with you. I hope WDW is magical. Enjoy your birthday.

I'm gueesing by now you have dumped your gear in your room and are out and about exploring. I hope the room is fantastic! Looking forward to reading your next update!

Yes we have and we have had our first day, will post an update soon.

Yay for being at Animal Kingdom Lodge! Can't wait to hear all about it :).

I forgot to say how much I loved the pipe story! I love that they found your dad's pipe for you! :love:

I will post an update soon. Maybe this afternoon when we come back to the hotel for a rest. We did a lot yesterday, leaving the room at 7am. It's 5.30am now so thought I would quickly check and reply to a few emails and of course.... check in on Dis. My neck is a bit sore, obviously overdid it a bit yesterday, just have to remember this is supposed to be a take it easy trip! I keep forgetting that and it's go go go.

So will post later, we have breakfast at Donald's Safari at Tusker House this morning (may see Kyl there as we are there at the same time). Then the day at AK with lunch at Yak & Yeti. So when we come back in the afternoon for a rest I'll upload some photos and post about our first couple of days :thumbsup2

We didn't end up making our breakfast at Tusker House, so looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Have a magical day!

Haven't really had time to post since arriving at WDW, well quick posts yes but no time to upload photos and do a report, but this afternoon, with very stormy weather outside, we are back at the resort having a rest and doing a bit of laundry, so inbetween laundry loads I thought I would update everybody on our WDW trip so far.

Well we were up very early this morning to leave NY for WDW. Our car was picking us up for the airport at 6am. Although our flight didn't leave until 9am, after it taking at least an hour and a half to get from the airport to Times Square, we wanted to allow at least an hour. The car was on time and at 6am we were off to the airport. We arrived at the airport at 6.20am :eek: It only took 20 minutes and then security took all of about 5 minutes! So we now had two hours to kill so went up to the admirals club and had some breakfast. The plane was full of Australians, we were on the plane early so heard all of the accents as they passed by.

Here are some photos from the plane as we took off from NY.

Manhattan
DSC02320.jpg

Statue of Liberty in the distance.
DSC02321.jpg

Have a look at the smog, that black line :scared1:
DSC02323.jpg

As we start to get higher and above the black smog line
DSC02324.jpg

Our breakfast on the plane was quite nice. I had never had a biscuit before, well not an american one..... I have had an aussie biscuit, so had one on the plane with jam and butter and it was yummy, very light and not heavy like a scone like I was expecting.
DSC02325.jpg

We arrived at Orlando airport and had popped the yellow magical express tags on our bags so we just went looking for Magical Express. We went down an escalator and ran into this, so knew we were on the right track.
DSC02328.jpg

We then gave the lady at the podium our booklet and she scanned our tickets and told us to head for this.....
DSC02330.jpg

We were the second family in line and within about two minutes we were on this.....
DSC02331.jpg

The bus then quickly filled up with other travellers going to Caribbean Beach and Pop resorts. The bus ride went by quickly, they play a cute little video on the by on the way there. Most people got off the bus at Caribbean Beach, then everybody else except us and another couple got off at Pop, before arriving at AKL.

When we entered we were greeted with this....
DSC02352.jpg

Our room was not ready so we went downstairs to Mara the CS at AKL and had some lunch. I didn't take any photos of our meals sorry, I forgot. All the excitement of arriving I just didn't think. Anyway I was in heaven, my very favourite chicken caeser salad anywhere is at Mara, so I was excited to have that again, my first meal at WDW.

We then went back up to the lobby and had a look around the gift shop and sat down in the lobby and about 10 minutes later I got the sms to say our room was ready :cool1:

Heading off to DTD for dinner now. Will post more later :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter