"The best thing about going to Disney without kids......??"

I have no children, but I've had many a trip with children of friends or family in the group. I really prefer adults only trips though. You can eat where you want. Take time to enjoy shopping or browsing in the stores. Catch the street performers. Enjoy a drink or whatever. All without a single "I'm bored!" or "I want to ride Dumbo!" ever being heard. How sweet it is!

I have no children either, but I remember family trips as a child and though my parents would not have it any other way than for my sister and I to well behaved the things I didn't like during our trips were: my mother's rotating schedule as to who was to get up at 6 a.m. each day, not eating in the expensive restaurants, being limited to the number of souveniers we could get each trip, my Dad having a thing about being the collector of the tickets right after we went through the turnstile (even at 17 and 21 years of age), eating at the same time for each meal everyday, having to eat breakfast when I have never been a breakfast person and numerous mandatory bathroom breaks. So for me going to WDW without kids and as an adult the best things are: Being able to get up at 8 a.m. and still make it to the parks in plenty of time before it opens, being able to eat in as many expensive restaurants as I want, buying whatever I want, being the keeper of my own ticket, eating whenever I want or whenever I have made the PS for, just grabbing a cup of coffee in the morning instead of eating a heavy sit down breakfast, and not having to stand infront of the restrooms waiting for everyone 10 times a day...lol.

DH and I have no children yet, but we're (well, I'm) Disney Maniacs! We are planning our third trip since April 2002 for this August. We're taking 4 other adults and staying at the BCV for the first time as DVC members. The two other women going with us have never been to Disney at all, so here's what I'm looking forward to:

*the look of wonder the first time two grown women see the castle

*six responsible adults with the freedom to act like children, teenagers, and/or college students - and no one has to drive afterward

*being able to go like gang-busters in the morning and nap if I want to in the afternoon

The best part about going to WDW with just my DH is that we're very attuned to each other's wants/needs and very flexible regarding what we do. If you go to WDW with ANYBODY else (child or adult), you can be kinda stuck doing what they want to do. Some of our older relatives think we all have to vacation in lockstep when we're together! ;)

My brother and S-I-L recently brought their two kids to WDW for the first time (ages 4 and 12)--the kids had a great time, but the adults didn't--they were exhausted!

Originally posted by las3888
I think what is the best part is just not having to live our lives on a kid's schedule (feeding, changing, napping, etc.). We are up when we're up, eat when we want to eat, go when we want to go, stay up when we want to, etc. etc. etc. No schedules!
You just perfectly described #2 on my "Reasons Not To Have Children, Ever" list. :)

eating at Boma's without hearing "What's that? It looks gross!"

darting by all the baby carriages and buggies.

smiling at the dirty looks thrown your way by parents of crying, grumpy children. :smooth:

Wife and I are young(ish) grandparents living 3 hours from WDW. We make 1 trip each year with the whole family (10 of us including 4 grandkids). While we are avid Disney enthusiasts, I must admit that the fun of a family trip is in watching the kids experience WDW. During these trips we put our likes and dislikes on the back burner and do whatever the kids like to do.

However, we try to manage at least 2 more trips each year devoted just to ourselves. That is when we don't have to worry about taking lockers to store the family belongings, or renting strollers and keeping tabs on them, or finding restaurants that can cater to varied tastes and allergies, or coordinating the bathroom needs of 10 individuals.

My kids wonder what we do at WDW, just the two of us. I tell them we do whatever we want, whenever we want. We got back from our second getaway trip just yesterday. We relaxed and enjoyed Epcot and MGM. I think WDW brings us closer together as a couple.

Ya know, I've never noticed THAT many screaming, crying kids at WDW. Most I notice are very happy! My nephews, aged 1 and 3, behaved wonderfuly last year for our extending family trip. Neither cried the whole time!

Anyway, MY favorite thing is getting to what I want, when I want to! :wizard:

We just returned from a fabulous trip with our three children. To say it was the most fun we have ever had as a family is an understatement! We had more magical moments than I can count!! So much so that my husband who had never been to Disney before and felt that this trip would be our one and only has agreed to a trip in 2006 just he and I for our anniversary and another four years from now so our youngest will be able to experience the magic fully just as his siblings did this time!!!

We are planning just a five day trip when we go in 2006 because I can't imagine being away from the family for any longer than that. (not sure I will be able to do it even for that long) BUT...I really want to experience the rides together which we couldn't do because we were baby swapping. I am also planning on doing the surf school with my DH at Typhoon Lagoon as well as spending the day AND night at EPCOT trying all the yummy food and beverages. Another is Pleasure Island...can't wait to try the Adventure's Club! These are a few Adult only treats we are going to enjoy!!

It is going to be sooooo much fun!!!!

E.:sunny:

Every other year (so far) my DH and I go to Disney Just the two of us without kids. Now, I love taking my dd (5) to Disney and she is really good about everything, But I love going with just me and DH because we can do the charatcer breakfast and not get upset that we spend $15 on a plate of food that wasn't even touched :)
Another good thing is my DH can go on Misson Space without my DD saying she wants to go with him because she will miss him...

Absolutely ditto everything!!! Especially not "having a plan" and being constantly on the go, and one I really like, is when kids misbehave, whine, scream, hollor and make a real site of themselves, smiling knowingly on the outside, but rejoicing inwardly, that this little dickens is not yours for a change, and you don't have to do anything about it!!!

Now it's been QUITE a while since mine were THAT little, (ages 19 and 25!!!), but that embarrassed feeling is never forgotten. And you think yours are the only ones!!! LOL

Disney World with kids is fun and frantic, filled with bunches of wonderful memories, BUT without kids, it's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

best part is being able to spend time in my favorite place in the world, with my favorite guy in the world, just doing things together..just the two of us.....Don't get me wrong it's fun with the kids too.....but we all need alone

My dh and I don't have kids (yet), and there are several things that we enjoy about going to the parks without kids. (We are planning to go back to WDW before we do have kids):

1. Being able to go on rides that kids may not be able to go to on. (Examples: too little, too short, may be scared to go on *fill in the blank* ride, etc.)

2. Kids get tired out (plus kids can tire parents out).

3. Saving that money (money to get into the parks, suvineers, food, treats, etc.)

4. Not dragging a kid or pushing a kid in a stroller.

5. Not dealing with whinny or fussy kids. (A kid throwing a temper-tantrum because they didn't get to meet Mickey Mouse right away.)

That's all I can think of right now.

The best thing about leaving the kids at home is being able to focus all of my attention on my wife, who certainly deserves it.

Going w/o kids is great b/c you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it, minus the whining.

Besides, it is easier to become a kid yourself when you are not caring for an actual kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter