• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The British are Coming! An April '19 TR (Updated 09/03)

I'm ashamed that I have never watched the Tiki show. It's a crime, that I could be so careless with my MK time.
I actually really love the theming too. I almost bought a Tiki shirt today.

Looks like a great evening at HDDR! I haven't been there in 10 years, but you may have sold me on a return trip for our next vacation!!
It was a great evening (despite the dodgy table)! The chicken is perfect, corn great and my DH even manages to eat some salad 😲😲. As Helena said earlier she demolishes the corn bread and tried to work out how to smuggle out the second loaf 😂😂 and of course the beer flows freely 😊😊

I'm ashamed that I have never watched the Tiki show. It's a crime, that I could be so careless with my MK time.
It is a crime it’s a lovely cool sit down 😉 - no really, it’s a must do for us, the catchy tunes stay in your head all day, and to think of the age of it, how it works so well is amazing. My favourites are the totems and bird of paradise flowers. I know this wasn’t the original one but it feels very “Walt” - kind of like Carousel of progress.

Looks like a great evening at HDDR! I haven't been there in 10 years, but you may have sold me on a return trip for our next vacation!!

I definitely recommend it! It's a lot of fun and completely different to all the other dining experiences Disney offers. The food is pretty good too and there's so much of it that everyone will be completely full by the end, they almost had to roll me out the door last time haha.

Ah you definitely need to go see it! It's air conditioned and a great time to relax for a while, plus the song is great too. You could buy the shirt and wear it to go see the show 😉

Following along. Fellow Brit here :wave2:Looks like a great start to your holiday. Can't wait to see more! Also another vote for the Tiki room been a great place to sing and cool down. Looking forward to your next update.

Turns out trip reports are not as easy to write as it first seems, it takes forever to write haha! Sorry I've been MIA but we're back in business now.

Early Morning Foggy Adventures

The time difference did not effect day 2 as it had the first, we all only woke up when the alarm went off – 6am! Super early in non-vacation standards but at Disney? Definitely a lie-in, two years ago we had to get up at 5am for a 7am park opening! I was suffering this morning as overnight I had had a bunch of cramp in both legs, which really sucked. I have a super weird body, I get cramp a lot, and I drink more water than the average human each day (around 3-4 litres) so if I drink any less than that I get cramp! It’s so frustrating. We all got up and got sun-creamed as soon as possible so there were no fights over the bathroom, and this led to us being packed and ready to leave at 6:50am. We were waiting for my dad for a bit though (he’s either ready super early or late, there’s no in-between haha).

It was an EMH day at MK so when we reached the bus stop there were a lot of people there and the bus anxiety set in a bit. I hate being squished on the buses and I get really worried when there seems to be a lot of people waiting, despite knowing that the buses are practically the TARDIS with the number of people they manage to fit in them. After waiting for 10ish minutes the bus finally arrived, and whilst the bus was full, it wasn’t too squished. It also happened that today was the Star Wars Marathon day, so the bus passed some of the marathoners and they all looked to be in high spirits despite running in what was already a relatively high temperature. They’re braver than me! Although I do think it would be pretty cool to do one of those one day.

Bag check was uneventful and quick so before we knew it we were back in MK! Is there a better place to be? The day was a bit foggy though, you could barely see the castle over from Tomorrowland!

It was a very hot and stuffy day, which we weren’t a fan of, but we had a plan we had to follow so pushed through it and made the speed walk to Peter Pan. There seemed to be a huge crowd heading the same way as us but, as expected, most of the crowd went to 7DMT, and so we were probably within the first ten families in the line for PP!

At 8 on the dot they let us in and off we went on our flight over London and Neverland! I rode with Emily and my parents rode together. For me, the best part of this ride is looking out over London and seeing all the lights and cars moving, its so cool.

Our next ride on the plan was Pooh! This is one of Emily’s favourites as she is a HUGE Winnie the Pooh fan and at this time it was practically a walk on.

After this we wandered over to Buzz to let our competitive sides out. I rode with my dad and we were definitely the most competitive. It was so frustrating though because every time I aimed, especially with the known high scorers, he moved the car! It was a constant fight between me and him trying to move the car to the perfect point for each of us, and this led to an argument on who was the one moving it the most. As you can see in this picture I was not impressed.

Of course, despite my best efforts, I lost, but I'm still quite happy with my score!

Emily did quite well too, I think she got around 380,000!

After Buzz we all needed a bit of time to recover so we headed for my mum’s favourite ‘ride’ – the People Mover! It’s a great sit-down for a short break but I hate the part that goes ‘The People Mover is a great place to people watch, look around, you never know who you might see…’ or something like that. This is solely due to a past experience back in 2015 when I was sat underneath this part of the ride waiting for my family to go on the Astro-Orbiter (I HATE this ride, I hate the fact that it’s super high up, I hate the fact that it spins (motion sickness!), and I hate that it doesn’t feel particularly safe), and all I heard was that sentence on repeat or a good 20 minutes… Funnily enough though I did see my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin (who came on the 2015 trip with us and my grandparents) pass by me whilst I waited. Anyway, back to the current trip...

From the people mover we could see a bit of the building work being done and we tried to work out where the train tracks had previously been.

At this point we had done 4 rides and were starting to feel a bit peckish – we often get a morning coffee and treat after doing our first few rides! One issue though, it still wasn’t 9am and when we asked around, they said that most places weren’t open to serve food before 9, so we were kinda stuck. As we wandered back over to Fantasyland we saw some CMs doing the water drawings on the floor, they're so impressive and I could've just stood and watched them for ages.

Back in Fantasyland, the Cheshire Cat food place was open, so I bought one of those candy slushies and sat and had a crepe that I had brought with me, whilst my parents drank their coffee.

We had just finished our drinks when we turned around and saw the masses charging towards us, it had just gone 9am, the park was open, and we were right in the middle of the huge crowd coming our way. In a slight panic we ducked into the bathroom and decided to take a turn on the ‘toilet-ride’ whilst the crowds dissipated.

Following along. Fellow Brit here :wave2:Looks like a great start to your holiday. Can't wait to see more! Also another vote for the Tiki room been a great place to sing and cool down. Looking forward to your next update.

:welcome: Thank you for reading along! The Tiki room is brilliant, I hope Disney keep it for many years to come.

Twinning with 626!

There was one thing I had my heart set on this day, I wanted to meet Stitch. I had my outfit all planned out and Stitch themed with my t-shirt, bag and ears all serving as tribute to our favourite alien experiment. Honestly this was one of the best character experiences I have ever had, I’m usually quite awkward around characters but this was fun and adorable, and Stitch really liked my ears! It also helped that there was no one else there to meet him so it made it even more special. Definitely one of my top moments of this trip.

This led on to one of my least favourite moments of the day that whilst being pretty fun was also kinda traumatic. That’s right, it was 10am and our FP had kicked in, meaning that it was time for Space Mountain. Now I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of SM, mainly because I get motion sick very easily, so I wasn’t exactly thrilled when my parents announced that they didn’t want to ride and so we could use their FP and ride twice :scared1:. Emily, on the other hand, was super excited about this, she loves the ride. So off my parents went for another ride on the People Mover, as I was reluctantly dragged over to one of my least favourite rides by my enthusiastic sister. I spent the entire ride trying to keep down that crepe I had earlier :crazy2:, to Emily’s horror when she found out after the ride as I had been sat behind her.

Don't let my face deceive you, I was not as happy as I looked.

That didn’t stop her from dragging me back round to the entrance for our second ride though. This ride felt a lot smoother, I'm not sure why (maybe because we were at the back?), but I enjoyed it a lot more and didn’t feel as nauseous, and the picture was more planned too (probably one of my favourites from the trip!). This face is much more accurate to how I was feeling inside.

Next up was COP, a great sit-down and a must-do for us, we love it! We sat at the seats on the front row in the centre behind the disabled seating, they're the best seats as you can usually extend your legs and have a proper relax, plus it's easier to see! There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow…

Time for another FP! It was time for us to conquer 7DMT. As we got on the ride I tried to convince my dad that he might be best taking his hat off because the ride is much faster than we remember. He insisted it went super slow and would be fine so I shut up and let the ride speak for itself.

It was just as fast as I suggested and honestly is one of our favourites, I love how much the carts rock too. Hats, luckily, were removed from heads as I suggested, and this reminds me of a time a few years back when I peaked at life. We were riding Splash and on the big drop the hat of a man in front of us flew off, I somehow managed to catch it in between screams and having my eyes closed and was able to return it to him. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done, and nobody saw me do it, the picture missed it too, but I swear it happened!

I love the little house at the end too, it's cute to see them all dancing and I love the detail put into the actual house. I wish I could live there (minus the evil stepmother haha).

Under the Sea...

It was around 10:30am at this point and we all had a bit of a rumbly in our tumblys, so it was time for lunch at our favourite Tomorrowland food spot with the best entertainment in the galaxy… Cosmic Rays! Our only complaint here is that the tables are slightly small so Emily and I sat separately from our parents, to their enjoyment.
I got the pulled pork burger, a favourite of mine, although I eat it off the bread with a fork rather than as a burger :mickeybar
Everyone else had a bacon cheese burger, a classic!

Once we were stuffed from our abundance of burgers, we ambled over to Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I really love this ride, it’s so fun and The Little Mermaid definitely has some of the best songs of all of the Disney films. In the queue we decided to have a look at some of the decorations and theming and noticed one of the lights was made in Blackpool, a seaside town pretty close to where we live!
Emily and I like to hold our breath as we go underwater in our clams, and we have a competition to see who can do so for the longest. She usually wins because I get distracted and forget!

After this we realised that we had not yet had an ice cream on this trip so we decided to stop off at the cart next to Gaston’s Tavern and grab one. Whilst we were queueing I watched some people meet Gaston, he seems like a very fun character to meet but I chickened out and decided not to… This trip at least.

Keith got a great picture in front of Gaston, Emily was not letting up with that. My ice lolly also made an appearance, I'm not a fan of Mickey ice creams (I know, blasphemy! :scared1: ) so I usually go for the strawberry ice lolly, it has actual strawberries in it! A few years back when Emily was little she went with my mum to see the Disney Junior show whilst my dad and I got ice creams. It was a particularly hot day so I quickly started on my lolly only to get my tongue stuck to it, it quickly melted but my dad just stood there laughing at me rather than helping.

Then it was time for our final FP of the morning, and even though we were conquering the other side of the park we couldn’t give this one a miss. Yes, it was time for another go on the wildest ride in the wilderness, BTMR!

After we had made sure our hats and glasses were still in our possession, we decided to head on back to the hotel for a well needed rest. It was a similar time to yesterday so that meant it was almost parade time. Luckily we managed to hurry across just before it started, which was a relief, we weren’t in the mood to watch it again! Unfortunately, when we reached the bus stop there was a huge line, and we still had to wait about 30mins for a bus to appear! Eventually, at around 1:20pm we made it back to our room.

Mousekeeping had been by the time we returned so that meant uninterrupted naps! They had made cute animals out of the towels, I didn't want to undo them to use them!

I decided to take a shower before the nap, getting into a clean bed clean is the best feeling! It was at this point I realised, however, that my t-shirt had completely dyed my upper arms blue! The shower did nothing to alleviate this.

We managed to nap for about 2 hours and then went to the lounge for some snacks before we went on our night-time adventure. We were off to Hollywood Studios!

I managed to get a picture of the snacks I had! I got a meatball from the hot food station, mini corndogs and some hummus and other dips with veg and pitta to dip in it. I also got some jungle juice to drink, I don't know what it's made from but it's delicious!

Attachments

• IMG_7359.JPG
    IMG_7359.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1
Some good memories coming back! Our cart on 7DMT seems to rock a lot, not sure why, Shaun and I only move side to side in time to the music 😉😂😂

The entertainment in Cosmic Rays is always a treat and the toppings bar is delicious!

Last edited:
Dramatic Beginnings at HS

When we got to HS we noticed the new Gondolas (is that what they call them?) hanging around, they look pretty exciting but I don't think I'll ever go on them, they're terrifying!
I love the old Hollywood feel of HS, it feels kinda magical and like stepping back in time. I swear in a past life I was a 20s Hollywood star (I must've used up all my talent back then because I certainly have none now :rotfl2: ).

We arrived at HS we a decent amount of time before Fantasmic! started so we decided to enjoy the scenery and do some window shopping. So far we had been looking in shops and managing to hold ourselves back from buying anything just yet. This, however, was short-lived as the first shop we entered in had the cutest Dug toys with the cone of shame, and Emily of course had to buy this.

We did notice that a lot of the shops were closed in HS, not sure if this was due to renovations but we were pretty disappointed.

At this point it was time to get in the queue for my favourite show on property – Fantasmic! We were pretty close to the front of the line but were still queueing outside of the official line when disaster struck. A young boy, maybe three or four years old started running towards the wall next to us from where he was walking with his father. At the same time, an elderly lady in an ECV was joining the queue. The child ran in front of the lady who hit him and, in a panic, accelerated over the child and into my mum’s ankle. Emily, who was stood next to my mum, jumped backwards out of the way of the ECV and onto the arm of the child. Chaos. The child cried but the dad just quickly picked him up and whisked him off as some important looking CMs rushed over. The lady was very shook up about it all but was otherwise fine. My mum’s ankle was relatively sore but not too bad, she could put weight on it and the swelling went down after a couple days. My dad made sure that mum and Emily were okay. I had to turn round and try not to laugh (I know it’s bad but I saw the whole thing and the kid was okay, it was just one of those moments where you could see what was about to happen but couldn’t stop it).

After that disaster we were let into the show. We always choose the small benches right at the front and just hope the wind will blow the water in a different direction.

We got some snacks whilst we waited – popcorn in one of them fancy popcorn buckets, nachos (the cheese was not good), ice cream and churros (we also didn’t like these). Like always with Fantasmic! there was a battle with the midges flying around us, once you spot them you can’t ignore them again.

My parents were kinda against me getting a popcorn bucket but I promised I would get my use out of it (and I sort of did!).

Emily was the one who insisted on getting the churros, she was sure she would like them. I would now like to introduce you to a series of photos I have titled 'Regret'...

I don't think we'll be getting churros again...

I must have missed the churro tasting 🤔. Maybe it’s whilst I was on the toilet ride 🙄🙄.
Emily’s face with Dug was “Daddy please buy me one 😊😊, mummy says no more soft animals but look how cute he is, please, please!” I was more like 😠🙄🙄🙄🙄 as I knew what the outcome would be even when I said no! Holidays, Christmas and birthdays are when our girls are spoiled - the rest of the time I’m in charge with my favourite word “no”. Unfortunately my husband doesn’t have this word in his vocabulary.

My ankle was a lovely black colour, the lovely CM did ask if we were okay but panic set in and I didn’t want to admit that it hurt! I have to say I did expect it to be much worse and at first was frightened to but weight on it, it was a Disney scooter and they have a “thick rubber bumper” which must have helped.

Dreaming with Mickey

So we come to the final part of day 2, the longest and busiest day of our trip, and it was time to watch Fantasmic!

I always get super nervous for the ducks that swim around the ‘stage’ before it starts and really hope they swim away before the fire starts – that’s one crispy duck I will turn down! Also we were disappointed that they’ve gotten rid of the pre-show quiz thing they used to do, it gave us something interesting and fun to watch whilst waiting, especially as the wi-fi in this area is terrible.

Remember earlier when I said we hoped the wind would blow in a different direction to us? Yeah… It didn’t… We got utterly soaked, probably the wettest Fantasmic! we’ve ever had (beaten only by the time we went to see Rivers of Light and it started heaving it down, we were soaked in a matter of seconds and whilst most people made a break for it, we decided to stay – we couldn’t get any wetter after all!).

After a brilliant show we headed on out and tried to leave before the fireworks ended. Unfortunately, I desperately needed the loo, so that delayed our exit by a few minutes. We made it out as they ended but there was already a huge queue for the bus, and we couldn’t fit on the first one that arrived. We were at the front of the line for the next one though and so went and sat at the back out of the way.

We hadn’t really eaten during the show and so my dad and I popped down to get some pizzas when we got back to the hotel. Everyone ate these pretty quickly and then went to sleep, completely exhausted and still slightly damp from Fantasmic!

The flatbreads weren't the best but the solved our hunger problem!

Reactions: DLo
Pandora

Day 3 involved a lie-in, the first of the trip! It’s usually by day 3/4 that the jet lag starts to set in, so we were up at 10:30 and left the room at 12:30 to get a bus to AK. We usually like to avoid the afternoons due to the heat, but Pandora FP were hard to get, so this day was going to be a long and hot one for us. To add to this I was feeling super queasy for some unknown reason, and so was feeling slightly anxious about FOP due to the motion and immersive screens (screens like these often make the motion sickness worse, my eyes can’t seem to focus on the screen well enough – mission space is a prime example of this…).
I thought these sculptures around the parks were super cool and thought-provoking, they were so well done too and despite being made out of rubbish, this penguin was super cute.
Gotta get the classic Tree of Life picture. One thing we did notice was a distinct lack of photopass CMs around, this was the same in most parks and we found it odd and inconvenient - cost-cutting maybe? Although for the amount of people in the parks I'm not sure how much cost-cutting they need to do with all the money they're bringing in, oh well...

Our first thoughts of Pandora were that it was incredibly impressive. The theming was next to nothing we’ve seen before, you can seriously tell that everything has been carefully considered and placed down to the smallest plant. I sat and admired it all for a bit whilst the family investigated the toilets.

It was time for our first FP and our first ever ride on FOP, I hadn’t read anything about this and had avoided every video so I was excited to see what it would be like. When we entered the FP queue the standby time was 85mins, the FP line took 30mins from start to exiting the ride, so pretty fast.
This waterfall was beautiful, wish I could recreate it in the back garden haha.

We all loved the ride; it quickly became one of our favourites and we were eager to ride again. It’s like nothing we’ve been on before and it’s extremely fun and feels like it lasted for a decent time. On the motion sickness side, it wasn’t too bad, the only point that made me feel queasy was towards the beginning when the ride takes a sharp turn and dives upwards. We all agreed that the 85minute standby queue would have been worth it for the ride.

We were feeling peckish at this point, we hadn’t really had breakfast and so were looking to get some snacks. We decided to drop into the Tiffins Nomad Lounge. We had eaten in the restaurant before and whilst the food was good, it wasn’t exceptional so we hadn’t returned. We decided to try the lounge to get out of the sun and have some cold drinks.

We ordered the sliders, which we weren’t a fan of, they looked great but tasted mediocre and not worth the price.

We also got some skewers and poutine, again we weren’t overly fussed with these, the skewers weren’t brilliant, and the poutine felt overpriced for what they were.
The bread service was pretty good though and probably the best thing we ordered.
Drink-wise I didn’t enjoy my iced tea but that is wholly my fault, they let you add your vanilla to your own taste and I overestimated it and added too much, so it tasted pretty grim. Emily got a strawberry sprite, dad got the watermelon margarita and mum got a beer, which they all enjoyed. The margarita was very refreshing and tasty, definitely a highlight of the meal, although you couldn’t really taste the alcohol.

It was great to get out of the sun and relax for a while but the food wasn’t that great so we probably wouldn’t return. Also it was quite busy in there and hard to get a table, it was solely luck that someone was about to leave as we arrived and gave us their table. We paid this forward by letting a family join us as we finished our drinks so they could have our table once we left.

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter