The Brown Derby re-visited

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
I always liked the Brown Derby. Casually elegant, slow paced meals, piano player entertaining, the lounge for before/after dinner drinks..they even used to have (in their early days) street entertainers come in and mix with the dinner crowd. BUt that was the problem I guess--there never was much of a crowd. Every time we ate there, it was never more than 1/2 full, and usually lots less.
Fantasmic changed all that and the Derby became very busy. That last time we ate there was on a Fantasmic dinner package, and it was pure bedlam. People were screaming for the check BEFORE they even got their food. One lady was threatening the CM at the guest podium with a lawsuit if her dinner wasn't over in time for Fantasmic!! (they were about 1/2 behind in PS seatings at the time). Our server appeared rushed and frazzled--we didn't have a good time that nite and haven't been back since. But this trip we found ourselves planning to be at MGM around the dinner hour, and since the couple we were with did enjoy the food last time at the Derby, we decided to give it another try.
Our non Fantasmic PS were for 5:00 and we were seated immediately. The restaurant was busy even then--not long after, it was filled completely. The menu was essentially the same as when we last ate there, but I was pleased to see something "extra" in the way of beer choices. They had several draft beers available (including Kirin and Amber Bock) and bottle selections had Anchor Steam and a German Heffe-Weisen, among others. To Uncleromulus, this was like being admitted to the Garden of Eden!! And the dinner rolls (sourdough, I think) are out of this world good.
For appetizers, Mrs. U and I split the Cobb Salad. I know that many feel it's too finely chopped, but that combination of flavors can hardly be beat. I love it!!l
Entrees were also quite good. I had the Roasted Pork tenderloin over white cheddar grits, while Mrs. U opted for the beef tenderloin. Both were fine entrees. I had a small helping of Mrs. U's steak--had a pleasant , unique taste to it. Last time at the Derby we were told they marinated the meat in coca-cola. Don't know if this is still so, but whatever they do to it, it's good!
Our dinner companions were also pleased with their choices--that beef entree and the pan-fired grouper. My friend ordered his steak well done and that's exactly what he got--butterflied and cooked to near extinction.
Only Uncleromulus had room for dessert, and I went with the grapefruit cake. It was good, but seemd to lack the intense grapefruit taste I recall from past meals. In fact, were I to have eaten it w/o knowing what it was, I'd be hard pressed to identify it as grapefruit.
Service was good, but not great. Our server could hardly speak a word of English and we all had trouble understanding a word he said. And he had 5-6 other tables going at the same time, so he never really spent much time with us. But the food came out as ordered and in a timely fashion, so I supose that's the botom line.
All in all a pretty good experience at what I still feel is the best restaurant in any of the Theme Parks.

I'm glad to hear the Bown Derby has improved. It was always one of our favorites, as well, but several years ago we had a horrible meal there and the service was worse. Needless to say, we haven't been back since. It's not on our dinning list for this trip, but perhaps we'll give it a retry next year. Thank you, too for your toughts on the grapefruit cake. I had planned to stop at the bakery and sample a piece, since I had never tried it, but I guess I might be rethinking that idea.

As always, I enjoy your reviews.

DH still raves over the best Cobb salad he ever had here (as it should be since the original BD created it). Maybe we'll go back on this trip.

Cheers :)

Thanks for the review! DH and I like to have a nice lunch at Brown Derby, in order to escape the Fantasmic crowds. The lunch menu is very good! :)

Ah-ha! You have solved a mystery for me. I have always wondered why everyone else seems to get this really grapefruity tasting grapefruit cake when mine tasted so plain. Obviously, there are good batches of that cake and bad batches. I couldn't for the life of me tell that I was eating grapefruit cake. Finally...someone who has been on both sides of the experience confirming there can be two different cake experiences!;)

I had the tenderloin in May and while I enjoyed it I thought it had a rather unusual taste. I wonder if it WAS marinated in that cola you mentioned? Hmm...

Well another thought provoking review from you. I have always thought the Cobb salad was too finely chopped but continue to order it when we dine there. You've put your finger on the reason...the flavors are meshed well. Over the years have you noticed a change in the turkey?

Thanks for another great review.

Thanx for the wonderful review. We just love the Brown Derby and have non Fantasmic ps for our trip later this month.

BCV23:
Can't say I noticed any Turkey change. What I seem to taste the most is the blue cheese!!!

I love the Brown Derby. A Sour Apple for my thirst, Cobb Salad (can't be bettered anywhere) and Grapefruit Cake. Wonderful. I have only a couple of weeks to wait now.

Thanks for more great reviews. We ate at Brown Derby last Dec. and really enjoyed it. I remember having the steak and really enjoying it. We also had a piece of Grapefruit Cake last month from the starring rolls bakery and did not think it was anywhere near as good as it had been in the past. We are enjoying reading your reviews.

I always enjoy your reviews. Thanks for the post:earsboy:

Uncleromulus for a well written and informational review has always I enjoyed reading it.Glad to see Kirin offered has a beer choice now one of my favorites.:wave2:

We did the Fantasmic Package at the Brown Derby this past Saturday night. We had a 5:30 PS, and the restaurant was super busy.

Since we were just a party of two, we were seated right away, but larger parties were waiting.

I had the potato crusted crabcake as my appetizer, and it was excellent. I then had the sesame coated tuna with wasabi mashed potatotes. It was absolutely delish, but being that I'm a sushi addict, it may not appeal to everyone.

DH had the crabcake and and filet and raved about both.

I have to agree about the grapefruit cake. It didn't have that "zing" that I seem to remember from past meals.

Our server also had a strong accent and was quite busy, but we never felt rushed or neglected.

Having just come from the cruise, I'd say that this meal was as good as or better than what we had onboard.

A number of years ago we had lunch at the Brown Derby. I had the Cobb Salad and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't remember what my hubby had all I know is that we both enjoyed having lunch there. We will have to try dinner there on one of our future trips after reading your fine review!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for another fabulous review Uncleromulus. Very informative as usual. We have not eaten at the Brown Derby in more than ten years, might try to squeeze it in this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter