The Coke Zero-pocalypse

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Who likes Coke Zero? If you haven't heard, it is being discontinued and replaced with "Coca-Cola Zero Sugar" At first I thought the re-brand was just a new package and name for the same drink, but it turns out it is a new formula. It supposedly "tastes more like regular Coke," but a lot of Coke Zero lovers are not happy about the change. I have not tried the new version yet, so I can't say, but I do like Coke Zero a lot, so I'm hoping it's good. I have some friends who drink a lot of Coke Zero, and they are freaking out!

Have you tried the new drink? Do you like it? Or is this "New Coke" all over again?

I haven't tried it, but I don't like or drink Coke Zero.

Saying it "tastes more like regular Coke" seems a bit funny to me because most people I know who do drink Coke Zero, don't WANT regular coke. They like that Coke Zero tastes different.

Right. I mean, the goal with Coke Zero was to have a "better" (i.e. closer to Coke) taste than Diet Coke, though it was never 100%. The reason they never just replaced Diet Coke with Zero, even though it is "better" by their definition, is because DC drinkers drink it because they like DC (blech!). They wouldn't want it to change, and attempts to do so have not been well met (DC with Splenda, etc.).

Now, honestly, I'm not expecting it to be THAT much different, and probably won't bother me too much. There are some loyalists though that aren't going to be happy.

Also, for those of you who like Diet Coke or Zero Sugar, all the packaging is now primarily red, with some part in silver or black to denote the variant. I don't think that was a great idea since it could be confusing if you are not paying attention (2 liters look especially similar). Oh, Coke, what are you up to these days?

I don't like Coke Zero, but I like Diet Coke. I don't want a diet drink that tastes like regular Coke. Regular drinks are too sweet for me. I much prefer a non-sugary taste. I drink coffee, tea and iced tea without sweetener. I don't want overly sweetened soda either. They can mess with Coke Zero all they want. Just leave Diet Coke alone!

Sounds to me like Diet Coke may be on the way out, gather your riot gear. ;)

all diet soda drink sales are slowing down as more and more research shows the dangers of some of the ingredients

Sounds about right to me, bad press on diet drinks. I used to drink Diet Dr. Pepper but became bored with it. Switched to iced tea a couple of years ago and now the Diet Dr. Pepper tastes pretty bad. I'll have a regular non-diet soft drink 3-4 times a year and even those don't taste like I remember them. Coke is still pretty good with rum or some Jack Daniels though:)

Last edited:
My husband is a huge fan of Coke Zero, so I bought a bunch of 2 liter bottles for him today in case he hates the "new formula"

** Remember Coke's epic fail with the "New Formula Coke" way back when???****

Bring back Tab!!!!

Yes, I know it's still available in some places.

I like Coke Zero Cherry.

I'm one of the few people who actually preferred New Coke over Coke Classic.

I think it is interesting that they are bringing the Coke Zero formula they use in Europe and Asia, which have stricter laws about additives and such in food products. I imagine this formula may be a healthier alternative, strictly from a chemical point of view. My husband likes Coke Zero so we shall see what comes of this.

Last edited:
Sorry, I live in Delaware but have never heard of Delaware Punch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Punch

According to the article, it has no association with the state of Delaware.

I actually didn't know you lived in Delaware! Just thought maybe if Tab wasn't available (and it is where I am) then maybe y'all have the punch. Weirdly enough I've heard it's available in Texas (Houston specifically) and Louisiana and I live in Texas and travel to Houston and Louisiana frequently and NEVER see it!

DH only drinks Coke Zero. Haven't tried or even seen the new one, so can't comment. He has 6 12 packs to last him a week or so.
I prefer diet coke, so I am fine

I would have assumed Coke Zero and Diet Coke were the same thing. Then again, I only drink a very occasional cola for migraines and an even more rare ginger ale for upset stomach, so I had no idea about all these other varieties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter