The correct way for Disney to switch resorts

Steffy

<font color=blue>I owe, I owe, It's off to work I
Hello DVCers!

I only have 1 DVC trip under my belt, so I am here asking for help from the experts... :worship:

My last trip I started my vacation in SSR in a studio. Loved it! Loved the resort. Loved the view. Loved the CMs. Great stay. Then on Sunday, I moved to OKW 1 bedroom. All I have to say is WOW. My vacation offically began. I didn't want to leave the room.:eek: :laughing:

I digress...:goodvibes

Here is how we moved last time. Bell services came to the room, tagged our bags and gave us the tickets. They drove us (and our bags) to the HH. We took our computer with us, caught the bus to DTD, then a bus to OKW, checked the computer, checked in and they told us they would transfer our bags. :banana: :banana: :banana: What I thought I heard was the luggage would be in our villa. :cutie:

We came home from the parks and were really anxious to see our room. They had told me the room number on the phone, but I had no idea where it was. So we got off the bus at HH, picked up the computer and found out our luggage was still at bell services. It had not been delivered to the room.:confused:

We were at bell services well over an hour trying to get to our room. :scared1:

And this was DVC transfer to DVC. How is it going to work from Pop to OKW GV??

I'm not very good with search, but I remember reading posts that say it is so easy to go from one resort to another, as Disney moves you. I remember reading how the luggage was in the room of the new resort... So, what should I do differently? I really need for this move to go smoothly.

I had planned to travel from Pop to OKW in the morning to check-in and get our room cards with DDP. My daughter and her family will be off at a park. I'll meet my son and his family at OKW. If our villa is not ready, where should we go to put the baby down for a nap??? I know WLV has the "spike" room. Does OKW have a quiet room too?

Sorry so many questions. My trip is 48 days away and I'm getting anxious.:upsidedow :upsidedow

They do not normally place the luggage in the room for resort to resort transfers, it is normally handled the way it was handled for you, where you need to be present to receive the luggage. I think one reason is that gratuity is included with Magical Express from the airport, but not with resort to resort.

Hello DVCers!

I only have 1 DVC trip under my belt, so I am here asking for help from the experts... :worship:

My last trip I started my vacation in SSR in a studio. Loved it! Loved the resort. Loved the view. Loved the CMs. Great stay. Then on Sunday, I moved to OKW 1 bedroom. All I have to say is WOW. My vacation offically began. I didn't want to leave the room.:eek: :laughing:

I digress...:goodvibes

Here is how we moved last time. Bell services came to the room, tagged our bags and gave us the tickets. They drove us (and our bags) to the HH. We took our computer with us, caught the bus to DTD, then a bus to OKW, checked the computer, checked in and they told us they would transfer our bags. :banana: :banana: :banana: What I thought I heard was the luggage would be in our villa. :cutie:

We came home from the parks and were really anxious to see our room. They had told me the room number on the phone, but I had no idea where it was. So we got off the bus at HH, picked up the computer and found out our luggage was still at bell services. It had not been delivered to the room.:confused:

We were at bell services well over an hour trying to get to our room. :scared1:

And this was DVC transfer to DVC. How is it going to work from Pop to OKW GV??

I'm not very good with search, but I remember reading posts that say it is so easy to go from one resort to another, as Disney moves you. I remember reading how the luggage was in the room of the new resort... So, what should I do differently? I really need for this move to go smoothly.

I had planned to travel from Pop to OKW in the morning to check-in and get our room cards with DDP. My daughter and her family will be off at a park. I'll meet my son and his family at OKW. If our villa is not ready, where should we go to put the baby down for a nap??? I know WLV has the "spike" room. Does OKW have a quiet room too?

Sorry so many questions. My trip is 48 days away and I'm getting anxious.:upsidedow :upsidedow

Okay newbie here...what is HH (thought that stood for Hilton Head) and what is a SPIKE ROOM? LOL

They do not normally place the luggage in the room for resort to resort transfers, it is normally handled the way it was handled for you, where you need to be present to receive the luggage. I think one reason is that gratuity is included with Magical Express from the airport, but not with resort to resort.

Yep,

We did the BWV to AKL resort switch last time. The luggage was picked up by bell services before we left, and they said "it should be at the resort by three." We went to AK, then went to AKL with suits in our daybags. We got our room, but the luggage hadn't arrived at bell services yet. Changed into suits, swam, and when we got back to the room the blinky light was on from bell services asking us to call when we were in the room for luggage delivery.

I wish Disney would bring back in room delivery of luggage and packages when you aren't there. It was a nice bonus.

I seems appropriate to me to tip the bellmen at each resort -- at your first resort when he takes your bags, and at the second resort when he delivers your bags.

I know that for simple "tipped services" such as coat checks, it's customary to tip only at the completion of service (when the coats are returned to you).

However, in the case of luggage transfers from one Disney resort to another, these are different people, and they're doing real work at both ends.

We did multiple DVC-to-DVC transfers this past January...OKW to SSR; SSR to BWV/preferred view; BWV/preferred to BWV/standard. After lots of "disappointment" (due to not knowing the system), I finally got "the story" ... here it is as of this past January:

You must be in your room for Bell Services to come get your luggage at the resort you're leaving. But they're very quick (or will tell you if they will be delayed, and for how long)...they collect and tag your luggage (and I tipped the guy who came for our bags)...you have the option of brining your luggage to the bell stand, but I always expect to tip the bellhop who takes the luggage, whether at the bell stand or in my room, so to me that's just a matter of what's most convenient at any given time...

They don't deliver the luggage to the new resort until that afternoon--intra-resort deliveries are scheduled for from 1-3. Hence, it won't get to your new resort until 1 at the soonest -- and it could be as late as 3...

At the new resort, you must also be in your room for your luggage to be delivered. You can tell them ahead of time what time you'll be there (we told SSR 4 and they appeared w/our luggage at 4:05). Another tipping "opportunity" (I don't mind the tips in concept, but it can get expensive at the "going rate" of $1-2/bag, depending on how many moves you make and how many bags you have moved). For us, w/4 transfers--two w/3 bags, and 2 w/10 bags, it got very pricey! (Don't ask about the 10 bags! (Grin)...2 people joined our party; each of us had 1 suitcase, plus two extras, plus computer bags, backpacks, a bag of groceries, etc.)

These rules are in force for changes in villas in the same resort, too.

At the BWV, we tried to pick up our bags (we got back before 3 and I had two 19-year-old guys in our party who were willing to lug the suitcases...and among us we had 10 bags, so it was $20 and that was worth it to them to have that money to spend on treats rather than on tipping someone else to do a task they were capable of and willing to do themselves)...

BWV Bellstand would not give the guys our bags...said they'd walk back to the Villa w/the guys if they wanted, but they "had to" deliver the bags themselves. That would have annoyed me no end had I heard it while it was happening. As it turned out, though, the guys made a fuss and insisted the bags belonged to us and the bell stand's refusal to give them to us was unacceptable...ultimately, the bell stand "relented" and gave the bags to the guys--who (being nice guys) tipped the bellhop who brought the bags to them ($10)...

I have no idea why the rules are as described...but they were explained to me as the procedures/rules at all the resorts (DVC and CRO)...

For us, "the key" was finding out that Disney-transported luggage would not be available at the new resort until after 3, and then only when we were in our room to receive it. Once I learned that, I was no longer frustrated by not having access to my luggage "early" or by expecting it to be waiting for me in my room when I got there...

And as noted, at no resort did we wait longer than 3 minutes from the time the bell stand told us they'd deliver and actual delivery.

So, if you know the system ahead of time, it works out as easily as everyone thinks!

As for the baby napping prior to a room being ready, I don't know about that...my "baby" will be 20 in July so it's not an issue I've ever encountered...but I wish you good luck w/it...

At the BWV, we tried to pick up our bags (we got back before 3 and I had two 19-year-old guys in our party who were willing to lug the suitcases...and among us we had 10 bags, so it was $20 and that was worth it to them to have that money to spend on treats rather than on tipping someone else to do a task they were capable of and willing to do themselves)...

BWV Bellstand would not give the guys our bags...said they'd walk back to the Villa w/the guys if they wanted, but they "had to" deliver the bags themselves. That would have annoyed me no end had I heard it while it was happening. As it turned out, though, the guys made a fuss and insisted the bags belonged to us and the bell stand's refusal to give them to us was unacceptable...ultimately, the bell stand "relented" and gave the bags to the guys--who (being nice guys) tipped the bellhop who brought the bags to them ($10)...

That would make me mad -- I've never heard of not being able to retrieve your own bags from the bellstand. Is this "rule" in place throughout WDW resorts?

That would make me mad -- I've never heard of not being able to retrieve your own bags from the bellstand. Is this "rule" in place throughout WDW resorts?

Maybe it's just a security thing. What's to stop anyone from saying those are their bags.

after about 9 trips I have never had my bags transfered from one resort to another and put in my new room. Always had to call BS to bring it up.

Thanks! Now that I know that is normal, I can adjust.:banana:

Yep,

We did the BWV to AKL resort switch last time. The luggage was picked up by bell services before we left, and they said "it should be at the resort by three." We went to AK, then went to AKL with suits in our daybags. We got our room, but the luggage hadn't arrived at bell services yet. Changed into suits, swam, and when we got back to the room the blinky light was on from bell services asking us to call when we were in the room for luggage delivery.

I wish Disney would bring back in room delivery of luggage and packages when you aren't there. It was a nice bonus.

I didn't know that they had stopped putting the luggage in the room.:) This was the first time I had Disney move me and my expectation was that the luggage would be waiting. I'll have to adjust that!!:)

I seems appropriate to me to tip the bellmen at each resort -- at your first resort when he takes your bags, and at the second resort when he delivers your bags.

I know that for simple "tipped services" such as coat checks, it's customary to tip only at the completion of service (when the coats are returned to you).

However, in the case of luggage transfers from one Disney resort to another, these are different people, and they're doing real work at both ends.

Hadn't thought about the tips. That would make sense. I tipped bell service when they picked up my bags, tipped him more since he took us to the office. I tipped the man at OKW for bringing my luggage out of bell services and putting it on the curb and I tipped the bellman who, almost an hour later, drove me and my luggage to our villa.:goodvibes BTW, it was close to 8:00 pm when we got to OKW. Illuminations was over by the time we got to our room.:confused:

We did multiple DVC-to-DVC transfers this past January...OKW to SSR; SSR to BWV/preferred view; BWV/preferred to BWV/standard. After lots of "disappointment" (due to not knowing the system), I finally got "the story" ... here it is as of this past January:

You must be in your room for Bell Services to come get your luggage at the resort you're leaving. But they're very quick (or will tell you if they will be delayed, and for how long)...they collect and tag your luggage (and I tipped the guy who came for our bags)...you have the option of brining your luggage to the bell stand, but I always expect to tip the bellhop who takes the luggage, whether at the bell stand or in my room, so to me that's just a matter of what's most convenient at any given time...

They don't deliver the luggage to the new resort until that afternoon--intra-resort deliveries are scheduled for from 1-3. Hence, it won't get to your new resort until 1 at the soonest -- and it could be as late as 3...

At the new resort, you must also be in your room for your luggage to be delivered. You can tell them ahead of time what time you'll be there (we told SSR 4 and they appeared w/our luggage at 4:05). Another tipping "opportunity" (I don't mind the tips in concept, but it can get expensive at the "going rate" of $1-2/bag, depending on how many moves you make and how many bags you have moved). For us, w/4 transfers--two w/3 bags, and 2 w/10 bags, it got very pricey! (Don't ask about the 10 bags! (Grin)...2 people joined our party; each of us had 1 suitcase, plus two extras, plus computer bags, backpacks, a bag of groceries, etc.)

These rules are in force for changes in villas in the same resort, too.

I have no idea why the rules are as described...but they were explained to me as the procedures/rules at all the resorts (DVC and CRO)...

For us, "the key" was finding out that Disney-transported luggage would not be available at the new resort until after 3, and then only when we were in our room to receive it. Once I learned that, I was no longer frustrated by not having access to my luggage "early" or by expecting it to be waiting for me in my room when I got there...

And as noted, at no resort did we wait longer than 3 minutes from the time the bell stand told us they'd deliver and actual delivery.

So, if you know the system ahead of time, it works out as easily as everyone thinks!

As for the baby napping prior to a room being ready, I don't know about that...my "baby" will be 20 in July so it's not an issue I've ever encountered...but I wish you good luck w/it...

Thank you for such a detailed answer! I really appreciate it. Now I understand. Now I have an OKW map, so if the room is not ready, I can see where it is, and go there, then call BS and get our luggage delivered. That will work. :goodvibes :goodvibes

after about 9 trips I have never had my bags transfered from one resort to another and put in my new room. Always had to call BS to bring it up.

Thanks!

Sounds like you've had your expectations adjusted. The moves DO generally go well (although I seem to recall that they won't transfer luggage to/from a value - but I could be misremembering), however it is normal for the luggage to not arrive until after three and you do need to be in your room to get it.

(although I seem to recall that they won't transfer luggage to/from a value - but I could be misremembering)

We had bags transferred from ASMu to BWV last May so unless they've changed things they will transfer from a value. However, we did take the bags to bell services ourselves instead of calling from the room so that might make a difference. :)

We had bags transferred from ASMu to BWV last May so unless they've changed things they will transfer from a value. However, we did take the bags to bell services ourselves instead of calling from the room so that might make a difference. :)

Thank you so much. The last time we stayed at a value for one night, we had driven down. :car: We tossed our bags in the car and drove over to the WL. Wow did we love the Lodge!:love: :love:

Maybe I'll just take a cab. If it is better to take our luggage with us when we check out, maybe I'll just catch a cab over to OKW. Then, if miracle of all miracles our villa is ready, I'll have bell services take our luggage to the villa. Then I can meet my daughter and her family at a park. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Thank you so much. The last time we stayed at a value for one night, we had driven down. :car: We tossed our bags in the car and drove over to the WL. Wow did we love the Lodge!:love: :love:

Maybe I'll just take a cab. If it is better to take our luggage with us when we check out, maybe I'll just catch a cab over to OKW. Then, if miracle of all miracles our villa is ready, I'll have bell services take our luggage to the villa. Then I can meet my daughter and her family at a park. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

That's what we did on our last trip. Spent the first "night" (we didn't arrive until 2 am, so was it morning? ;) ) at ASSports, then got up and took a cab to VWL. The value resorts didn't have bellmen to come to the room (and only 2 luggage carts apparently), so it was a haul your own luggage situation.

Our room at VWL was actually ready when we checked in at 10:30 AM! I was SOOO excited. Anyway, it was great because we already had all our stuff with us and were able to settle into our room and still make our lunch ressies at Tony's with time to spare. The cab ride with tip was $20. Well worth it IMO. The cab driver was super nice about helping with the bags so we tipped him well.

I've done the 'luggage move' three times now..once from BCV to POR and then once from BWV to POP, and once from CR to BWV. The move from CR to BWV was the best....we got into our room about 3:45 and our luggage appeared at 4:00. The other two times were not nearly as quick. Bell Services got the luggage at 8 am both times. When we got to POR, I knew the bags wouldn't be there, it was only 1:00. But, when I got into my room about 4:30, the luggage people told me they didn't have my luggage. They called BCV and were told that it had been very busy that day and the luggage hadn't been transferred yet!! It took 2 more phone calls and 90 minutes for my luggage to get there.
On the move from BWV to POP, it was slightly better....they took my bags at 8 am again, and when I got to POP they told me my bags would be put in my room as soon as they got there. I headed off for the rest of the day, returning to my room about 8:30 to find my bags inside the room.
Now, I'm sure to take anything I may need for the rest of the day with me.

I have been many times, and have changed resorts manytimes, and have had the great opportunity to have my luggage in my room upon arrival from the parks....maybe it's the fact that when I check into the new resort, I leave a tip with the desk for the bell service person who will be bringing my luggage up to my room????

=(although I seem to recall that they won't transfer luggage to/from a value - but I could be misremembering)

i have had luggage transfers from Pop more than once to our DVC resort. At Pop I recall you did not have to be in the room when they came to get them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter