The CR is slated for something!

MrGrumpy222

Mouseketeer
OK, I have read many posts about the speculation of the the CR being turned into a DVC resort. I do not know any thing about that but what I can comment on, was that back in December 2003, my family and I were at the Christmas party and we ran into "Accidentally" an Exec VP of Disney from the great state of California and we got to talking. (I posted about this briefly once in the past) Only after a while into the conversation did he tell me who he was. A really nice fellow by the way. Well any way, he told me that Disney has every intention of tearing down the CR, due to it being Ugly by today standards (exterior that is and I have to agree, sorry) and secondly it is begining to have structural issues. This is the same gentleman that gave my daughter and son each 30 of the same Disney pins to trade with CM's to start a great collection. We had breakfast with him the next day at POFQ. I will not give up his name but I did write to him when we returned and thanked him but he did ask me not to write Disney about him giving us the Pins, LOL ;-). Just one of those strange but magical things that made me a Disney fanatic and a loyal follower.
Cheers all.
PS: Most of you guys probably heard this about CR and I am a day late and dollar short. 94 Days to our first trip home to OKW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, if Disney planned to tear down the CR that they just spent big $$$ rehabbing it. :rolleyes: Except for the North garden wing, which is where the DVC unit are rumored to be going. We'll all just have to wait and see on that.

Chuck S said:
Funny, if Disney planned to tear down the CR that they just spent big $$$ rehabbing it. :rolleyes: Except for the North garden wing, which is where the DVC unit are rumored to be going. We'll all just have to wait and see on that.
Now I never said this was Gospel I only relayed a point of fact that I received 2 years ago. :rolleyes: Quite frankly I find it curious why you got so terse and obnoxious but that is common for some people that seem to have courage behind a key board. Tell me, what did I say that offended you for your fashion designer attitude Chucky.

Mr. Grumpy, I think you misinterpreted Chuck's post. He was just stating a fact since the CR is redoing the rooms in the tower right now and I think the South Wing is closed too for rehab, isn't it?

I've read many of Chuck's posts and he is always polite and never makes personal attacks. It is the DIS way. ;)

Color me stupid, but i dont care if DVC gets built at the CR.
Sure it might be nice to have another choice, but Im not going to get all hyped up about it.
Im happy being at Disney at any DVC and with any view,
Im there to get away from all the stress of work..
So for those of you who want a DVC CR I hope it comes,,
But I wont be lining up for points,,(april use year people will be happy) LOL

MrGrumpy222 said:
... he told me that Disney has every intention of tearing down the CR, due to it being Ugly by today standards (exterior that is and I have to agree, sorry) and secondly it is begining to have structural issues.

Good illustration of how quickly things can change a TWDC. Earlier this year Disney announced plans to rehab all of the guest rooms.

Here are some photos from the model rooms:

cont118.jpg

cont120.jpg

These plans are already under way, and I believe one or two of the floors in the tower have already been completed.

I happen to agree that it's pretty darn ugly by today's standards. But the CR is such a Disney icon that I don't think anything short of insurmountable structural issues would lead to it's demolition. At one time I had hoped perhaps they could justify demolishing the current structure and re-building with a similar profile that was better suited to the times. But with this room rehab under way, it seems like we have a pretty good idea of what the future holds for the CR.

:banana:
tkjraz,
Where did you get these photos?
Very nice!
Like the decor!

I'd like to see the CR build a DVC here...I love the Monorail...it's a ride
within itself! I can't see Dis ripping down the CR at all! I agree...it is an icon
of WDW! Personally, I'm biding my time until it ever happens @ CR. When ever
it becomes official there's a DVC there...I'll buy pts. there.
:hourglass Time will tell!

When discussing vacation plans with friends, once WDW is brought up, the hotel most are familiar with is the CR; even if they've never been there. IMO, after the castle, the CR is probably the most recognizable building @ WDW, to the casual traveler, not the Dis fanatics.

Aside from potential structural issues, from a marketing point of view, why would Dis go to the expense of replacing a viable, desirable property? All properties need to be rehabed/updated regularly to remain profitable. We too are very interested in the much-speculated about DVC Villas; but only if the original iconic hotel remains (there's just something about the monorail running into the CR - pure magic).

MrGrumpy222 said:
Now I never said this was Gospel I only relayed a point of fact that I received 2 years ago. :rolleyes: Quite frankly I find it curious why you got so terse and obnoxious but that is common for some people that seem to have courage behind a key board. Tell me, what did I say that offended you for your fashion designer attitude Chucky.

MrGrumpy:

I never called you a name nor personally attacked you. You stated that Disney planned to tear down the CR. I pointed out that it is going through a full rehab, and that it would be foolish of Disney to spend big $$$ on a rehab only to plan on tearing down the property. A DVC addition replacing the North Wing has been rumoer on these boards for some time...but with the South Wing and Tower going through rehabs, isn't it unlikely that the Tower has been deemed "ugly" and unsalvagable? Sorry if disagreeing with you about the demise of the CR gives me a "fashion designer" attitude, or was it a personal swipe at me for having a rainbow colored avatar? Either way, I think it was uncalled for.

I just returned from WDW this past Friday. My family had dinner in the Concourse Steakhouse last Tuesday and we noticed renovations ongoing in the Tower. We then joined the DVC on Thursday and our sales rep stated that some of the present Resorts (non DVC accomodations) were going to be transitioned to DVC Resorts. He told us this after we signed our closing paperwork so I don't believe it was a sales pitch. So it does not sound like the CR is going anywhere anytime soon.

Smitty

MrGrumpy222 said:

Ouch! That a bit harsh, don't you think? I guess we know how the OP got his screen name!

Sorry, Mr. Grumpy, but I have to agree....there was nothing in Chuck's post that could be taken as being obnoxious or rude or in any way derogatory or insulting. Yet your retort wasn't very nice at all. Perhaps you might reread Chuck's post and then either post what specifically set you off...or maybe apologize even?

I am truly sorry if you FELT hurt or attacked by anyone challenging your initial post. I just don't think the reality of that matches your perception.

We have all heard rumors and it is fun repeating them. While they all may turn out to be true, right now we are just playing the speculation game...and it is all in fun to conjecture about what might happen down the road.

Cheers!

MrGrumpy222 said:

For that matter what in the world did Chuck, say to offend you. I don't see it.

Sammie said:
For that matter what in the world did Chuck, say to offend you. I don't see it.

It could have been the smilie (Rolling Eyes - Sarcastic :rolleyes: ). Just an impartial observation......

I love the pictures. CR was the first Disney Resort that we stayed in, and I still remember the price - $58 a night!

Oh, I really really really hope Disney NEVER replaces CR with something more "fashionable." CR is WDW!
(Hope I didn't offend the OP! :goodvibes )

Chuck S said:
MrGrumpy:

I never called you a name nor personally attacked you. You stated that Disney planned to tear down the CR. I pointed out that it is going through a full rehab, and that it would be foolish of Disney to spend big $$$ on a rehab only to plan on tearing down the property. A DVC addition replacing the North Wing has been rumoer on these boards for some time...but with the South Wing and Tower going through rehabs, isn't it unlikely that the Tower has been deemed "ugly" and unsalvagable? Sorry if disagreeing with you about the demise of the CR gives me a "fashion designer" attitude, or was it a personal swipe at me for having a rainbow colored avatar? Either way, I think it was uncalled for.
Not sure what you mean by rainbow colored avatar but I meant that Fashion Designers seem to get very defensive about their creations and those fahionsble things they like, just my personal oberservation after going to art school with many of them. (No offense to fashion designers) Perhaps I should have used NYC Cabbie. No personal swipes. I also don't care if they tear it down or leave it up, I find it pretty cool and modern for it's age. It was my perception of sarcasm and impatience in your post. My apologies! This will be my last one, I will simply lurk.
Cheers :wave2:

MrGrumpy, don't just lurk, join us. Sometimes it is hard to interpret someone's meaning in a post. We all make mistakes.

And I know I love reading about any and all rumors. :cool1:

Here's a thought...could it be that way back when, when MrGrumpy spoke to this WDW person, that there might have been plans to tear down the CR? And then, those plans were changed to a rehab and addition of DVC in the North Wing?? Heaven knows that nothing Disney says is cast in stone until after it is done. I think that maybe there has been a bit of oversensitivity here. I hope MrGrumpy doesn't become like his name and does not go back to lurking. Come on out....we really are a nice bunch of people. We just get a little bit carried away and sometimes forget how a post may be taken, especially by a new person.

mrgrumpy and chuck, we all want healthy families, love, peace, understanding -so we really are all the same underneath

I know how you feel. I posted that I found a good deal with a dress up clothes trunk with 3 princess outfits, gloves, tiara, boa, jewelry for $29. I was trying to share and be helpful. Someone posted that they purchased it last year and it was crap. Even though I am not an overly sensitive person I resolved not to post on the budget board again. Now I realize it is foolish. Although some posts seem abrupt or confontational I do not believe it intentional. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter