The Cruise Bug Has Bitten Me Bad!

WaltsMartini

Mouseketeer
We are just back from our first DCL cruise, 4 night on the Magic (and our first cruise on any line) and I’ve got it bad - I am desperate to get back on a ship!

My question: for those of you who go regularly, are there any cost savings for bookings I’m not aware of? I booked a placeholder onboard and plan is to book a Spring 2026 cruise the day they are released to get the best price. But I don’t know if I can wait that long! Been looking at VGT rates - is there a way to get alerts as soon as those rooms are released? How far in advance are they released? And, besides guarantee rates, are there ever any true last minute deals a few weeks before?

I miss it already and only been home 3 hours!

We are just back from our first DCL cruise, 4 night on the Magic (and our first cruise on any line) and I’ve got it bad - I am desperate to get back on a ship!

My question: for those of you who go regularly, are there any cost savings for bookings I’m not aware of? I booked a placeholder onboard and plan is to book a Spring 2026 cruise the day they are released to get the best price. But I don’t know if I can wait that long! Been looking at VGT rates - is there a way to get alerts as soon as those rooms are released? How far in advance are they released? And, besides guarantee rates, are there ever any true last minute deals a few weeks before?

I miss it already and only been home 3 hours!
Lol, we went on a 5 night Dream cruise over Easter and I was booking our placeholder discount cruise with our travel agent before we even got on our flight home.

The addiction is REAL

We book mostly VGT rates. They normally appear on the DCL website after PIF date for the cruises. And for cruises that may not be selling too well. Not all cruises will go guarantee.

We just decide a rough timeline of when we want to cruise and then I check the website to see when/if the VGT rates are released. Have to be flexible and able to travel pretty last minute. You also won’t get all the extras you might want - the best are always booked by others when their booking window opens.

No extra discounts closer to sailing. And guarantee rates can come and go. They will end them when they sell enough cabins. We just sailed last week on the fantasy with a VGT rate. We also want to sail in the fall on the fantasy. They just dropped a VGT rate for an early September fantasy sailing. Right after the PIF date.

DCL doesn't allow outright discounts. Some TAs--including ours--will give you a direct rebate on the price (not an OBC to be spent on the ship).

Been looking at VGT rates - is there a way to get alerts as soon as those rooms are released? How far in advance are they released? And, besides guarantee rates, are there ever any true last minute deals a few weeks before?
There is no way to get alerts, and there is no guarantee that any particular cruise will even have them. They are usually for cruises that aren't selling out well and usually only occur after the paid-in-full date, so less than 90 days in advance. They are pretty much the only real "deals." Disney cruises tend to go up in price over time. Even if you get a VGT rate, it will often be more expensive than booking it early.

I was booking our placeholder discount cruise with our travel agent before we even got on our flight home.
Cruising had me as I walked up the gangway on our first ever cruise (DCL - Panama Canal). I wasn't even onboard yet.

And keep an eye on Disney Cruise Line Blog.

Here’s an example of what to look for. The entire article on the website’s homepage lists dates and prices and change in number of cruises offering discounts.

Special Offers on Disney Cruise Line Sailings as of May 13, 2024​

Posted on May 13, 2024 by Scott Sanders

This week’s special offers from Disney Cruise Line arrive with sail dates from late-May into January 2025. Currently, there are 40 unique sail dates, available with special offers available across the fleet for sailings from Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Fort Lauderdale, Galveston, Honolulu, Port Canaveral, Southampton, and Vancouver.
The Disney Wish features the most sailings at 25, the Disney Dream is next with 12, followed by the Disney Magic at 11, while the Disney Wonder arrives with 3 dates, and the Disney Fantasy 1 date. Currently, there are no offers listed for the Disney Treasure.
Florida Residents rates are up 2 to 8 sail dates, the US Military Personnel increased by 1 to 37 cruises, while the Canadian Resident held at 7 sail dates.
In terms of general special offers, the IGT, OGT, and VGT offers valid on new bookings for up to 25% off prevailing rates for 2024 Disney Dream European sailings with multiple sail dates available across Europe this summer. The Disney Dream’s eastbound transatlantic cruise is still underway this week and will reach her first seasonal homeport, Barcelona, in Europe later this week.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...isney-cruise-line-sailings-as-of-may-13-2024/

And there’s Vacations To Go, also. I use them for finding deals on cruises. They may have a way to get notifications; I have opted out of getting extra email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter