The DIS Dad's Club V - Man's Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sad2: How things have changed.

I don't know that they've really changed all that much. When I was in 7th grade (nearly 30 years ago) there was a guy who taunted me relentlessly. He was always surrounded by his two buddies, so there wasn't much I could do. Around December, when talk around school turned to Christmas and I was clear that I didn't celebrate Christmas because I'm Jewish, the taunting got downright bigoted. It all came to a head one afternoon as we were leaving the lunchroom. The bully ran up behind me, called me a "dirty Jew" and dumped a couple of packets of salt on my head. I snapped. I caught him by the shoulder before he could run by and backed him into a corner.

I came close to breaking his jaw. We were both pulled into the Principal's office and we were both given three-day out of school suspensions (out of school suspensions mean that you don't get credit for any work/tests that are due while you're out). Oh, and my right hand hurt like hell. My parents were remarkably understanding though. Mom gave me money to take myself out to lunch each day of my suspension, and I enjoyed a few days of vegging on the sofa, reading and watching TV. I even had at least one teacher who I'm pretty sure held off a couple of days on a planned quiz, so that she wouldn't have to give me a zero for it.

I heard they are really cracking down on speeding in Dallas.

First offense they give you 2 Dallas Cowboy Tickets.
Second offense they make you use them. :lmao:

YAY!

My wife has had a "very positive" CCP antibody test meaning that she's horribly plagued by rheumatoid arthritis! Why is this good news? It's (mostly) treatable! What she had been diagnosed with before is not!

So we pick up the prednisone tonight, I'll work from home tomorrow to see how she handles the medication, and we'll be off to the races with "treatment" and not "management"!

YAY!

Oh, and all this 7 days before we pile into the car and head to Disney. :thumbsup2

YAY!

My wife has had a "very positive" CCP antibody test meaning that she's horribly plagued by rheumatoid arthritis! Why is this good news? It's (mostly) treatable! What she had been diagnosed with before is not!

So we pick up the prednisone tonight, I'll work from home tomorrow to see how she handles the medication, and we'll be off to the races with "treatment" and not "management"!

YAY!

Oh, and all this 7 days before we pile into the car and head to Disney. :thumbsup2

Semi-Great News. :thumbsup2

While it's not perfect at least you got the lesser of 2 evils.

Prednisone is a steroid...Is this the long term treatment plan? :confused3

Page 252 OWNAGE!!!!

Semi-Great News. :thumbsup2

While it's not perfect at least you got the lesser of 2 evils.

Prednisone is a steroid...Is this the long term treatment plan? :confused3
Yeah, we're not big fans of prednisone - had issues in the past. It is, however, the only current thing she can offer. We're going back on Plaquenil for a bit and will most likely swap to methotrexaten after we get back from our trip. My only concern is that methotrexate is an abortifacient. While it's not likely that my wife will get pregnant, I'm not a fan of those drugs under any circumstances.

Yeah, we're not big fans of prednisone - had issues in the past. It is, however, the only current thing she can offer. We're going back on Plaquenil for a bit and will most likely swap to methotrexaten after we get back from our trip. My only concern is that methotrexate is an abortifacient. While it's not likely that my wife will get pregnant, I'm not a fan of those drugs under any circumstances.

I have RA also, and I have been using a bi-monthly infusion of Remicade. It works wonders for me. I go on Monday for my next treatment and I'm starting to feel the RA effect. By this time next week I'll feel like a teenager again. (A very old teenager):rotfl2: But it does work great for me.

I don't know that they've really changed all that much. When I was in 7th grade (nearly 30 years ago) there was a guy who taunted me relentlessly. He was always surrounded by his two buddies, so there wasn't much I could do. Around December, when talk around school turned to Christmas and I was clear that I didn't celebrate Christmas because I'm Jewish, the taunting got downright bigoted. It all came to a head one afternoon as we were leaving the lunchroom. The bully ran up behind me, called me a "dirty Jew" and dumped a couple of packets of salt on my head. I snapped. I caught him by the shoulder before he could run by and backed him into a corner.

I came close to breaking his jaw. We were both pulled into the Principal's office and we were both given three-day out of school suspensions (out of school suspensions mean that you don't get credit for any work/tests that are due while you're out). Oh, and my right hand hurt like hell. My parents were remarkably understanding though. Mom gave me money to take myself out to lunch each day of my suspension, and I enjoyed a few days of vegging on the sofa, reading and watching TV. I even had at least one teacher who I'm pretty sure held off a couple of days on a planned quiz, so that she wouldn't have to give me a zero for it.

Good for you!! Those are things we always remember from childhood.

I had a similar incident my Mom and my friends still remind me of and I have never forgotten. This kid kept picking on me for weeks and I just kept taking it until I finally snapped and gave him a black eye in the middle of 8th Grade Algebra class. I was screamed at by the Principal until I was crying and I was suspended (in-school) for a week. My Mom had to go to the Principal's Office and told him how this was going on for weeks, I told my teacher, but it kept going on. When she left, the Prinicipal had a very different attitude and was apologetic that none of the teachers stopped it sooner. He still didn't want me punching other kids in the face, and I still got suspended, but things were a little different after that.

ClearScreen

NOTE: Reminder to self, nemesis may have weakened right hand from punching out a bully in grammar school. I may have a tactical advantage at a later date.

I think if it were my kid, we'd talk about how diplomacy is the first option, going to teachers/people in authority, etc, and that we shouldn't go around hauling off and hitting people. Then I'd tell him I was proud of him for standing up and defending himsellf.

YAY!

YAY!

Congrats! I think. I'm glad to hear it's treatable, anyway. :thumbsup2

YAY!

YAY!

i hope it works out for her ian!!!! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 i agree with you and mark. i dont agree with swinging first but you poke someone in the chest long enough for any reason, some times you have to poke back. hopefully you didnt hear from this kid again. bullies are great, they always travel in packs.

I salute you! Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself. When I was on the freshman basketball team, there was a guy on the team that liked picking on me both verbally and physically for some unknown reason. I basically just ignored him. One night after a game I was getting dressed and he launched a basketball at my head when my back was turned. I picked up the ball, handed it to him without saying a word and walked out the door. On the bus he sat 2 rows behind me... he had a spoon in his hand (no idea where it came from) and out of nowhere started beating me in the back of the head with it.

Now for the important thing.... we both played football and basketball together in school... in football he was a quarterback, I was a defensive end. In basketball he was a guard, I was a center. I turned around, went over the seat and the coaches had to separate us... one of us had a bloody nose and a black eye. :rolleyes1

I was fortunate that the coaches knew everything that had been going on that season prior to that when I just tried to ignore him, and they had seen what happened that night both in the locker room and on the bus. They just had a talk with us and it all ended once we stepped off the bus. We got along fine the rest of our time in school together. Still to this day I have no idea why he decided to be that way. :confused3 He had 1 other guy who'd sit there and laugh and encourage him when he'd say or do something to me, but he bailed pretty quick when i came over that seat. ;)

Either way, I don't condone violence, but I tell you, you can't just be a doormat if a push back is the only thing they're going to understand.

I can identify. We lived in South FLA when I was in grade school and as such, I was raised as a Dolphins fan. I’ve been in the Carolinas for over 35 years now and have been following the Panthers since their inception. So, I’ve got similar problems. A team who’s glory days were legendary but have been mired in the middle for some time (one very l-o-n-g “some time”) and a team that has shown potential but currently has only one win and is fighting y’all for the first round draft choice in 2011. Oy vey!!!! :sad2:

I feel your pain going so long with not much to cheer for. Growing up a Saints fan was really tough. Growing up in the 70s in South Louisiana and not having a real team to cheer for :sad2: FWI my second team is the Dolphins. I became a Bob Gresie (Spell?) fan. 12 was the number I used growing up. :thumbsup2

YAY!

YAY!

Glad for the good news. That will make you trip to the Happy Place even more fun. :yay:

some how i missed this. mark, a super bowl ring is a token the nfl gives every player on the super bowl winning team. (being an eagle fan, i wasnt sure if you knew what that was.):lmao::lmao:

You're right, I've never seen those before. Thanks for the tip! I did, however, see this item in a football column this week:

Single Worst Play of the Season -- So Far: Trailing Jax 14-3 on the final snap before intermission, the always-wincing, ever-grimacing Wade Philips made the right decision -- to go for it on fourth-and-goal from the Jaguars' 1. The Cowboys boast of their Pro Bowl offensive linemen and two high-profile running backs; Jax came into the game having allowed the most points of any team in the league. Surely the mighty Cowboys can run for one single yard at home against one of the league's worst defenses!

At the snap, quarterback Jon Kitna turned the wrong way; then collided with tailback Marion Barber; then Barber collided with pulling guard Leonard Davis; then was dropped for a loss. The Cowboys' running back was hit twice by his own team before he could even reach the line of scrimmage!

At the snap, quarterback Jon Kitna turned the wrong way; then collided with tailback Marion Barber; then Barber collided with pulling guard Leonard Davis; then was dropped for a loss. The Cowboys' running back was hit twice by his own team before he could even reach the line of scrimmage!

You know, I think one of the names in your post pretty much explains everything. I've got nothing against him and I'm sure he's a nice guy, but let's remember the 2 teams that Jon Kitna started for in his prime (warmed the seat for a young guy) while they suffered through awful seasons... the Bungals and Lions.

Translation: Stick a fork in the Cowboys, they're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter