The DIS Fit: 2019 thread. Join us in the New Hopes and Goals thread.

OK, me? Life is still upside down regarding my stupid parents and how they are handling Long Term Care placement for my dad, the stress I'm dealing with over that is over the top. PLEASE, if you have family members close to this point in their lives (or you care about this for yourself even) do the research NOW to find out what your options are and what you all want to happen, don't leave it till the 11th hour and find out that too many things weren't dealt with in time. I went for my May Weigh In (still do that monthly at what is now called WW) and that marked 11 years at goal, go me! Feels good to know I've done that for myself. I'm doing my best to stay active but the last couple of weeks self-care has been more important and that means lots of blanket forting while clutching the remotes.

FINALLY, here's an answer to are we planning any "staycations" I wanted to see Endgame in IMAX 3D since it was filmed in that format, I want to get the full experience. I had planned on seeing it in Toronto LAST week after one of my treatments since hubby doesn't care for the whole superhero stuff but yet another blip with my parents threw me under the bus and I didn't get finished watching ALL of the previous movies in time (yes, I am "that" person) . So i figured ok, i would go yesterday, that was until Wednesday morning when the tickets went on sale and John Wick is now playing in IMAX as well URGH, wasn't possible to see it and get home before 11 pm. I pouted and complained to hubby and he suggested looking for it playing in London this weekend and finding a reasonably priced hotel. POOF, booked one thru the Airmiles portal on Hotels . com earned my 100 miles and one more night towards my free one!! He'll drop me off at the theatre and then go check into the hotel and work since that's all he'd be doing here anyway. I LOVE MY MAN!

See?!?! Told you all I can't be quick
Congratulations on the monthly weigh in! That is quite an accomplishment! You should be VERY proud!
I get you with the parental care. Keep up the faith that it will right itself in the end. Self care is not only important....it is VITAL! Fort and tv binge all you need. I hope that you enjoyed the movie! It was a great day in London today, although I think that the rain could have held off for you for just a bit longer.
I've kept up with Grow Young Fitness through the week. By Saturday, I'm tired, so let it slip by. I didn't get to it today, but I did do some replanting of pots that my son gave me last week. I baked yesterday and today, so I'll GYF tomorrow!
Happy Victoria Day, folks!

I'd say this will be a quick pop in but we all know I have trouble with being "quick" :P but I have a lot to share. If this is annoying to you just scroll past!

I wish i had the mental energy to deal with everything that's been mentioned here but that's not happening so please excuse me if i miss anyone in my comments:

New house -- OH WOW! that is such an exciting point in your lives, one of those things that gives you high scores on the stress scale if you keep track of that. You can put all the "moving" into the win column for activity, so many steps & lifting. I agree with whoever said take time to enjoy the here & now of your new dwelling before you tackle any projects that you see needing to be done. Unless you bought a house that needs serious renovations you must have liked the way it currently looks or you wouldn't have signed your lives away :rotfl2: Take time to explore your new neighbourhoods, mark out some good walking routes and find those out of the way surprises that will make you love it more.

New car -- also exciting. Frederick is a year old and it still feels like we're driving a new car. Only occasionally will we catch a faint whiff of that "new car" smell and since hubby enjoys the thrill of "parking lot stalking" there's already a ding in one door. (We drive a Honda Fit, old one was Fred but this new one is so much more sophisticated what with all the electronic trappings, fancy-pants paint trim and seat warmers Frederick is more fitting)

New health DX,-- at least you have a starting point and some hope of better health ahead. I went to see the GI Dr last week and got a new thing to add to my list of ailments. It seems I have Intestinal Migraines, who knew that is even a thing?!?!? Not thrilled with the meds he gave me to "try" and as yet I haven't even opened the bottles ( i want to ask my psychiatrist before i start taking benzos again, URGH) I have a CT scan scheduled for Wednesday to see if there's anything else going on, was supposed to be on Friday but i asked to change the date so i didn't miss my Toronto date, (I'll explain why next) and the receptionist wasn't happy because apparently it's more "urgent" than the Dr led me to believe. I have to do the stupid prep to clean the bowels out on Tuesday, oh joy

How on earth did that baby boy turn 1 already?!?! I love the sound of that cake, it's what my son often requested when he was younger but after taking him to Raglan Road for his 30th 2 years ago he asked for Sticky Toffee Pudding the last couple of years :eek:

OK, me? Life is still upside down regarding my stupid parents and how they are handling Long Term Care placement for my dad, the stress I'm dealing with over that is over the top. PLEASE, if you have family members close to this point in their lives (or you care about this for yourself even) do the research NOW to find out what your options are and what you all want to happen, don't leave it till the 11th hour and find out that too many things weren't dealt with in time. I went for my May Weigh In (still do that monthly at what is now called WW) and that marked 11 years at goal, go me! Feels good to know I've done that for myself. I'm doing my best to stay active but the last couple of weeks self-care has been more important and that means lots of blanket forting while clutching the remotes.

FINALLY, here's an answer to are we planning any "staycations" I wanted to see Endgame in IMAX 3D since it was filmed in that format, I want to get the full experience. I had planned on seeing it in Toronto LAST week after one of my treatments since hubby doesn't care for the whole superhero stuff but yet another blip with my parents threw me under the bus and I didn't get finished watching ALL of the previous movies in time (yes, I am "that" person) . So i figured ok, i would go yesterday, that was until Wednesday morning when the tickets went on sale and John Wick is now playing in IMAX as well URGH, wasn't possible to see it and get home before 11 pm. I pouted and complained to hubby and he suggested looking for it playing in London this weekend and finding a reasonably priced hotel. POOF, booked one thru the Airmiles portal on Hotels . com earned my 100 miles and one more night towards my free one!! He'll drop me off at the theatre and then go check into the hotel and work since that's all he'd be doing here anyway. I LOVE MY MAN!

See?!?! Told you all I can't be quick

sending you hugs :hug: we all really do appreciate how much work you put into our little online community, and for you to keep up with everything else going on is really incredible. self care is so so important. you deserve the heck out of your fun trip to see avengers!! and i’m truly glad you have such a supportive and thoughtful partner through everything. he sounds like a gem :)

and thanks for the well wishes :) we had to move further out of the city to afford a place, so it’s a new neighborhood to explore for sure. but luckily there is still lots of stuff to see—cute cafes, an indie bakery, great walking areas...the only thing missing is a rexall!

Congratulations on the monthly weigh in! That is quite an accomplishment! You should be VERY proud!
I get you with the parental care. Keep up the faith that it will right itself in the end. Self care is not only important....it is VITAL! Fort and tv binge all you need. I hope that you enjoyed the movie! It was a great day in London today, although I think that the rain could have held off for you for just a bit longer.
I've kept up with Grow Young Fitness through the week. By Saturday, I'm tired, so let it slip by. I didn't get to it today, but I did do some replanting of pots that my son gave me last week. I baked yesterday and today, so I'll GYF tomorrow!
Happy Victoria Day, folks!
Thanks, I'm extremely proud of myself, it took a very long time to get rid of those almost 100 lbs and there ain't no way i want them back!

I had a blast at the movie, dead-centre in the theatre, massive bag of buttery popcorn to myself, I was in my glory! Unfortunately the rain didn't hold off long enough for me to get from that pat of Masonville over to the bus stops and i got a tad soggy. We stayed at one of the hotels down by the 401 so i hopped on a bus and hubby picked me up at White Oaks.

Being from Victoria, BC originally (where I could jog outside year round) and coming to Ottawa - the winters were a bit of a challenge for fitness. I absolutely DESPISE treadmills. So boring even if you are watching a movie or something. I really like being outside to run. This year's long (very long) winter I tried my best to force myself onto the treadmill at least a few times a week.

I do love the Ottawa summers though (well, this year the weather hasn't been great so far though). We are currently getting our pool liner replaced, so hopefully the pool will be up and running within a week. We swim every night from May-October when we close it.

I also started counting my calories again a couple weeks ago and am feeling much better. Of course, the motivation is always high in the beginning lol.

Ottawa has had a rough winter and slow spring. I am glad it finally seems to be warming up! I'm sure in August I'll be complaining it's too hot :)

Welcome to Ottawa Chickinvic. How long have you been here? I wasn't a treadmill person, at all, until this year when I fell walking the dog and hit my head. I took that as a sign to do something else in the winter. I still walk the dog outside, for her excerise, but I do my longer walk inside. I agree it is totally boring even though I have a TV to watch but I just power through it before my day starts. I feel like if I accomplish nothing else in my day at least I've got that bit of exercise done.

I envy you your pool. I grew up with one but haven't had one since we moved back to Ottawa. I've been contemplating a swim spa but haven't bit the bullet yet. (I said that about the treadmill early January too) We'll see what happens.

I'll be moving 3 cu yds of stones this weekend as part of my curb appeal make-over of the front garden. That will be my exercise for the weekend.

Do i get to count the number of trips up & down the stairs to the bathroom on Tuesday and Wednesday for the prep and follow-up to my wretched CT scan as exercise :P Well, that is until it got to the point yesterday when i was just lying on the floor moaning from the pain and low BP the lack of fluids had led to! I have more colonoscopies that I care to count and while the prep is never pleasant I power thru and come out the other side, tired but functional by the time I get home. This however? OMG i seriously hope i never need to do it again, EVER!! I had no idea that when i got to the hospital they would give me a jug of disgusting stuff to down before they would do the scan. It was filled to the top line and i was to drink a cup every 10 minutes, or until it started running thru me .. TMI right? The scan itself was only about 5 minutes long and i didn't even need to take my shoes off, so that was nice not to have my butt hanging out of the oh so attractive gown.
60660612_2434040699962139_6627067033727008768_n.jpg

By the time we got home (that was not fun either ... hubby driving as fast as he could with me muttering under my breath "no red lights, no red lights" ) my gastritis decided to join the party since my tummy had been empty for over 24 hours, my BP was low enough that i kept passing out. They sure as heck better not say "nothing out of the ordinary"

OMG poor you. I can only begin to imagine what you went through. I still have nightmares of all the water I had to drink before an ultrasound when I was pregnant. Too much! for a 5 min test. I spent hours draining myself afterwards. Yours sounds way worse than that. Hopefully the test will yield a diagnosis and there will be a treatment plan in place to get you back on your feet. Till then take it easy and curl up with a good movie.

Welcome to Ottawa Chickinvic. How long have you been here? I wasn't a treadmill person, at all, until this year when I fell walking the dog and hit my head. I took that as a sign to do something else in the winter. I still walk the dog outside, for her excerise, but I do my longer walk inside. I agree it is totally boring even though I have a TV to watch but I just power through it before my day starts. I feel like if I accomplish nothing else in my day at least I've got that bit of exercise done.

I envy you your pool. I grew up with one but haven't had one since we moved back to Ottawa. I've been contemplating a swim spa but haven't bit the bullet yet. (I said that about the treadmill early January too) We'll see what happens.

I'll be moving 3 cu yds of stones this weekend as part of my curb appeal make-over of the front garden. That will be my exercise for the weekend.

We came here in 2013 and we LOVE Ottawa. So much more affordable than Victoria too. I know when we were looking for a house a couple years ago (we bought a townhouse when we were first here, then hubby retired from the Navy and took a fed. gov't job as a double dipper and we decided to move up) one of the things we were looking for was a place that had an existing pool. No way did I want the expense of putting one in lol.

Jacqueline...I sure hope you get more answers from the Dr. Your experience sounds horrible. I'm craving some time in blanket forts and the tv remote. Enjoy that time...and take all the time you need in your blanket fort.

I do understand about the aging parent front. My parents don't live close to me...and we only get to see them maybe 2 times a year if that. We are dealing with what we think is early onset alzheimers and memory loss with my mom. She is only 67, and we are noticing things are " just not quite right" and of course dad covers for her. It was a battle for us to get her to go get her hearing tested - which she now has hearing aids. But this is a whole new beast. And I notice things more than my sisters who live closer to her. So yes, I understand part of dealing with aging parents. I hope that you can find solutions that work for all of you, and that they will adjust and find positives about it.

I consider you my "peeps" and figured some of you would understand what I'm talking about. Getting old just simply HOOVERS (not sure if the word i want will pass the DIS filters :P ) my weight is basically stable but dang, why is everything sagging so much, things hanging that never did before and my clothes don't fit properly anymore. Oh, and speaking of clothing, why do things that are "age appropriate" need to be so frumpy?!?!

My tummy hasn't recovered 100% from last week's adventures and nothing seems to want to stick around for very long (yeah, TMI) my BP is pulling the old tricks again, I can't stand up too quickly or I see stars .. today's "best" reading was 68/44. So i feel like something the dog dragged in. I'm doing my best to keep walking, getting in at least one walk after dinner.

Hope everyone is enjoying the spring, even if it's only on the calendar and not what's outside our windows. June is only 3 days away!

Monday. good day to start keto again! A couple people at work are doing it too so hopefully we will support each other. I have less than 12 weeks to Disney and just want to lose a few pounds before then!

I have been keeping up the walking, getting 7500 steps at least per day. Some days are higher but that is my goal.

Hope everyone is doing well. The weather is getting warmer? For June it's not that hot but at least I haven't had to turn on the AC yet, and the furnace is off, so it's the nice time when my utility bills go down a bit :)

Anyone still out there? :) I've been walking and keeping my steps up. Since my trip to Disney is now 8 weeks away (woo hoo!) I have added in some weights, which is a bit painful the next day! I didn't even use heavy weights... oh well! I also went for a bike ride with kiddo yesterday and he said we should turn around at one point because Mommy sounded so out of breathe lol. It was hard on my wrists, I forgot that about biking. It was nice to get out though. Hopefully by the end of summer it won't be quite so painful.

Summer is here, school's out, July we still have some daycare/camps/work but I hope we'll be able to enjoy it any way. Then August I can really relax.

Debating cancelling my March break cruise for next year, I love the itinerary, ship, and the timing is probably good since it means less vacation days, and kiddo misses less school. But I should have booked a cheaper class of cabins or figured out flights sooner because I am now not sure I'll be able to afford it. We'll see. I have until Dec 30 to pay in full so time to decide.

We have some work to do over the summer, I got a report from the school psychologist and kiddo is officially diagnosed. Now I need to get him to see a psychologist, once I get the written report and after I get a referral from his family doctor so I can use my benefits. Hopefully it will make next year much better. The school did make notes so hopefully his grade 5 teacher will be aware of his issues and ready to work with us.

I hope everyone is doing well, and still moving, even a little :) Happy Canada Day (day before I guess).

Chugging along at a snail's pace here.
Rather than go into details I'll post a link
Failure to launch
https://www.empoweringparents.com/a...-six-steps-to-help-your-adult-child-move-out/I want you to know I am a good mom and have always cared for my sons 100%`` please no criticism,,just too emotional right now. It's time for my oldest (36) to leave.
All of this has me not focusing on myself right now. I gave up dancing and I know it was helping so I need a kick in the pants to get back on track.
Blood Pressure has stabilized but that's because of medication and I want to see if once a bit of stress is gone from my life if it can come down without the meds. Was 158/95 now 112/77.
Switched from Advil to Tylenol extra strength and Tylenol arthritis,,,,helps somewhat.
I found some great tensor/pressure bandages at Factory Direct and they are helping with the knees and cyst.

Heather I am so happy you were able to get a Dx for your son ...it is so important to have that when planning a successful school year. Don't worry about taking him out of school for trips,,,the benefit they get from Family vacations is very educational also. Try some wrist supports for those arms Hon. Great that you are getting out and being active!!!

I've spent yesterday tidying up the garden and just relaxing,,need to do some more weeding though.
Happy Canada Day Weekend Everyone!
Hugs
Mel

Good to catch up with your news. DS2 and DS3 have both graduated from college so I feel like I've graduated from that part of motherhood as well. Reward for myself, I've been travelling about these recent weeks. Just got back from a visit in Winnipeg. All my exercise there was walking the zoo and a few museums followed by way too much eating. We're off to Syracuse next weekend for some Dinosaur BBQ and an overnight stay to keep our Hilton points alive. (the things a girl has got to do for points...)

Later this summer I'm hoping we'll get in a visit to the Kitchener market and maybe pop in and meet @Donald - my hero on the way.

Today is nice and cool here in Ottawa so I'll have to see about getting out back into the garden and tackle the weeds which are now the size of small trees.

My walking companion (the dog) is slowing down a lot (shes 12 1/2 years old). The trip around the block with her takes twice the time it used to. Good things I've got the treadmill in the basement to supplement my walk when I get home. I've been bad about using it these last few weeks but tomorrow is another day and a new month. I'll get back on track or should I say tread.

Heather, keep on the school. Be your son's advocate until he can do it for himself. The benefits far outweigh the costs. Remember he's on his own timeline and shouldn't be compared to others. At least that's what I tell my DS3 when he wonders why he hasn't reached some milestones others his age have (he's 22). So it never ends, but that's Ok, that's what he has me for, he'll get there eventually.

Mel, no criticism here, You've been a wonderful mother giving your son the freedom he needed to grow. It will be quite an adjustment not having him around the house anymore. I wish my DS2 hadn't moved out so early. He's finished college and is trying to break into the welding field. It is proving to be challenging here in Ottawa and I wished he had stayed home and saved some more money before venturing out. He's giving the Ottawa market until the new year and then he says he'll have to go out west and work on the pipeline. I'm a little worried about that option unless he has some money in the bank. It never ends does it? (Great series of articles, read them after posting)

Wishing everyone a fun filled Canada Day weekend.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter