The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

We finally but the bullet and bought a new TV. Got it up and watching football. Bert is prepping Brussels sprouts. Once they are in the oven us will be time for cable management And clean up. Got a walk in. so far it is only cloudy and slightly windy. Wind will pick up later and rain starts around 11. by then I will be asleep. Canceled dinner with mom and dad on Sunday. mana to get everything at Kroger, we went early stuff was picked through but still enough left to get our list.

Our Oldest Granddaughter, Annette was married Sat 01/15 to a wonderful man, Michael. He is a San Antonio fireman. The wedding was beautiful. We had Donald sitting in my lap during the wedding, then when it was time for the family to follow the Bride & Groom out , I carried Donald out of the Church. Everyone knew why I was carrying Donald. He is the "Man" in Arnold"s eyes (Grumpy Aggie. We knew he was with us in spirit) They left this morning & now @ Disney World for 10 day honeymoon staying @ Pop Century. They are suppose to FaceTime me when they see EEyore.

We got our snow/sleet/freezing rain on Sunday, Monday around 12 before the winds and temps dropped I got out there with the snow mower and plowed the driveway. It was so heavy I wish I had a bx1800/2000, though I did manage to get it all done with a few passes. I guess if the kids wanted a fort we could have formed up some blocks to make one today as everything has refrozen into a solid block. Watching the dogs skate in the backyard was interesting, who knew in VA you would consider owning a pair of crampons.

Still have no plans for any birthday weekend trip. I think local and maybe a dinner out is all we will do. We started some other planning in the meantime. We are under 6 months to the sweet 16 trip and have gone back and forth contemplating flying over driving. If we drove we decided to rent a minivan, with 5 people plus luggage it makes sense other than the 14 hours of driving. Unlike an RV trip though there is more than one driver. The cost is cheaper with fuel them flying 5 people, but not by much. Melissa and I started looking at transportation costs once we got to Disney and that tacked on another near 200 to and from airport. This is a DVC trip, so for at least now we don't have to pay for parking....

Last edited:
More Florida Lighthouses, anyone?

Last spring (2021) me, DW, DD visited four LH on the North Atlantic coast of FL: St. Augustine, Ponce De Leon, Cape Canaveral, and Jupiter (our old home town). The DIS Search tool is your friend if you wan to find pix and commentary on those.

Back we are this spring on the South West corner of Florida (Naples area) but today the stars aligned for a trip to go back to the Gold Coast, The Treasure Coast, The Miami Corner of Florida for more LH's (the names are interchangeable). There were two LH in this corner of FL that we were after: Cape Florida on beautiful Key Biscayne (below Miami Beach) and also Hillsoboro Inlet LH a little further north. These would check off the boxes of the SouthEast LH for us. Let's proceed.

I'll go slow for the Auburn fans ready this thread. We are on the South WEST corner of Florida (near Naples). Our LH in question are on the South EAST corner of Florida (all right angle triangle for you in Rio Linda). Our first target was Cape Florida, at the tip of beautiful Key Biscayne and the entrance to the Miami shipping channel.

Tired of Ed doing ?

Me too.

Your GPS will take you to Cape Florida LH in Key Biscayne. It's hard to see in all the thick growth until you get out of the car and walk to the LH gate.

They have beautiful landscaping on the walk up to the LH.

The LH is down past the Palms.

The CF LH is a beautiful one to the eye and only 109 steps high. :p Again, I'm not a heights person (I plaster my back to the wall when going around the parapet.

Looking along the north shoreline of the Atlantic:

And into Miami Bay:

The current light lense:

One of the few LH to let you up to the very top:

The LH was restored in the 90s and is in very authentic shape.

Let's go down the 109 stairs for some view from the bottom and more adventures.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
It was almost a 2.5 hr drive to Miami this morning. It was a cool, lovely morning although a bit cloudy all day. I did get to drive through Little Havana on the way in which was a cultural awaking (just like the Italians in my old 'hood).

There is a recreation of the LH Keeper's House with a small (not much of one :sad2: ) gift shop. But the view of the LH is quiet nice from this angle.

After this LH, I was missing only one more on my checklist. :coffee: It was north of Cape Florida and south of last spring southern most LH, Jupiter.

Yes, you know what it is already? I know I shouldn't have to tell you about Hillsboro LH just north of Ft Lauderdale and Pompano Beach.

It's about an hour north of Miami on I-95 :scared: Yeah really, what a mess the highway system is. You couldn't PAY me to live there.

Sadly, Hillsboro LH is only open one (ONE) 1 day a flippin month (my mother may be reading this thread) and that happens to be the SECOND Saturday of each month. Which was not today. But Hillsboro is .... unique.

The LH was built around 1907 (one of the last FL LH). About 13 years later, the land totally surrounding it was bought up for a Social Club. Thus it is landlocked but still lovely. It has the cylinder stairs all the way up.

For the open LH days, you board a boat about a quarter mile away to ride you to the LH pier which you can then walk up and climb the LH. Or, like me the other 29 days of the month, you take pix from across the inlet (what an OPerating Plan :crazy:)

I think this my best pix of Hillsboro.

That checks off all the FL East Coast LH except the very NE ones.

Bama Ed

PS - did somebody say fridge magnets? Maybe. :rolleyes1 Any other sights along the way? More tomorrow. I'm tired. Five hours in the saddle yesterday and six today. You know what? That's not far but it still feels like it. Southwest Florida is the Back of Beyond. A long way to get here and it STILL feels isolated.

Last edited:
Cape Florida does not have much of a gift shop and they were "out" of fridge magnets. They aren't set up with a big online shopping presence and I doubt I'd ever be back so I decided to make due.

I bought a round drink coaster (very light with a cork bottom) but a nice picture of the LH. I'll go to Hobby Lobby and buy a craft magnet thing to glue on the back and make a home-made fridge magnet. Hillsboro had a proper nice fridge magnet.

So I'll make do. That gives me a story to tell.

Ed

PS - I cleaned up a better pic of Hillsboro.

Today we went to the lighthouses (LH) on the southwest corner of Florida. It was a lot of windshield time but now I know what I wanted to know.

The first plan this morning was to drive north from Naples area to the Port Charlotte area and then come down to Gasparilla Island (google maps is your friend here). There were two lighthouses up here: one (newer) in Gasparilla Island much like the Hillsboro LH shared earlier (cylindrical steel tube of stairs) which was built in 1927. No gift shop, no tour, no open. But it is literally on the first dune back from the Gulf and pretty in its own right.

And from the beach looking at the LH:

Standing on the beach taking a picture of the Gasparilla LH, I am reminded that these island on this side of the FL Gulf Coast are famous for their shell deposits (due to the direction of the tides/winds and unique orientation of the islands).

But this LH above was put into service in 1927. There was a smaller, lower LH only a mile away that went into service in 1890 in this corner of Florida: Boca Grande. It is at the tip of Gasparilla Island in the State Park there. It has a gift shop and open about 5 hours a day every day of the week.

The signs lead you to the appointed place.

Smaller, lower, and older.

Locals were already out picking over the shell deposits at Boca Grande.

But after -

checking the web site hours for Boca Grande,

calling the listed phone number for Boca Grande,

driving the 2.5 hours to flippin' get to Boca Grande,

I encountered this sign:

Well great but I ain't NEVER coming back. :furious: But here I wuz.

More to tell.

Bama Ed

PS - BIPS in the signature stands for Barrier Island Preservation Society (the group that staffs/runs the BG LH gift shop)

Last edited:
On the way back to Naples I decided to swing over to Sanibel Island to check out its LH. Sanibel is one of the famous, old FL winter islands with a big snow bird returning population so LOTS. Of. CARS. and backed up traffic (we're all so eco-friendly here). Sanibel and its neighbor, Captiva Island, are often mentioned in breathless, whispered conversations by people who don't live in the south and don't have familiarity with barrier islands.

Sanibel has a LH (closed, hardly never toured, no gift shop) but I wanted to swing by and see it because I could. And it reminds me of a story ..... :rolleyes1

Have you ever heard the expression, "there are no ugly babies"? You may have but OF COURSE there are none. But to be honest, some are more pretty than others. Just sayin'. :confused3

The same is true with Florida LH. You might fall in love with Cape Florida LH (in the pic I shared from a few days ago in this thread) but be prepared for a less pretty LH such as ............ Sanibel.

Sanibel LH is currently NOT a tourist attraction although it is in a park on the end of the island where you can walk around it.

Kinda reminds me of a Preying Mantis, no?

That's all the LH on this swing. My dance card is all checked off so I am happy. Next camping trip is in about three months.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Nice pics and notes Ed - thanks. As I sit in my office after making it through true temps of -8 on my way in, I am extraordinarily envious of those who are making the most of their campers at this time of year!

all tests were postponed due to that thing we don't discuss....Yesterday she finally got her MRI and tomorrow her Holter Monitor gets placed. at least she is still in a good mood.

View attachment 638380

Holter Monitor suspected IST (Inappropriate sinus tachycardia)

Heart Echo was completed today, waiting...

this is how she is coping, she is quite the artist IMO

20220126_181446.jpg

Nice pics and notes Ed - thanks. As I sit in my office after making it through true temps of -8 on my way in, I am extraordinarily envious of those who are making the most of their campers at this time of year!

Thanks @mickeyfan0805. One of the reasons me and DW moved to the Aliner was because our old traditional Jayco popup, while a great camper, was not a 4-season camper. As the kids grew up and moved out (though still DD is stubbornly clinging to us when it come to Disney trips) we knew we could/would do more year round travel. And fortunately we don't have the snow many of you have to contend with.

But once you hit retirement whenever your time comes, consider moving out of the cold to sunshine. I'd say anywhere from TN to FL to NC (and I'll throw in MS and LA too) could be appropriate depending on if you still want seasons and how you feel about hurricanes and tornadoes. Then you can roll a camper year round (or rv if that's your thing).

We are doing what we can (in terms of travel) while we can. Because life can get in the way sometimes and I don't want to look back and say "shoulda/woulda/coulda". And lighthouses are an interesting way to fill an interest and play a form of Florida Bingo.

As a last pic before we hit the road for home tomorrow (750 mile trip or a day-and-a-half), today we were in Everglades City visiting Everglades National Park and other sights. Of course, had to get a local lunch of fried gator bites and frog legs. I mean, how could you not, right? :confused3

It gives a whole new meaning to that ol' French expression, les fruit des mer (the fruits of the sea). Oh and for the record, thumbs up on the gator (left side) and "meh" on the frog legs (been 20 years since, will be another 20 years) on the right side.

Ed

PS - you did a great write-up on your recent trip, Marty, with DW. Wish I could get my DD to stay at home so me and DW could have Disney all to ourselves for a few days ...... ( but of course we love her).

Thanks @mickeyfan0805. One of the reasons me and DW moved to the Aliner was because our old traditional Jayco popup, while a great camper, was not a 4-season camper. As the kids grew up and moved out (though still DD is stubbornly clinging to us when it come to Disney trips) we knew we could/would do more year round travel. And fortunately we don't have the snow many of you have to contend with.

But once you hit retirement whenever your time comes, consider moving out of the cold to sunshine. I'd say anywhere from TN to FL to NC (and I'll throw in MS and LA too) could be appropriate depending on if you still want seasons and how you feel about hurricanes and tornadoes. Then you can roll a camper year round (or rv if that's your thing).

We are doing what we can (in terms of travel) while we can. Because life can get in the way sometimes and I don't want to look back and say "shoulda/woulda/coulda". And lighthouses are an interesting way to fill an interest and play a form of Florida Bingo.

That is my hope. I've mentioned before that DW grows increasingly interested in avoiding the winter cold. With some 15-20 years still before we get there, we are far from making any solid plans, but a lot will likely depend on where the kids are. If they are spread about, I could see a year-round relocation taking place. If some root here in the Great Lakes region (which is certainly likely), I think the 'Fifth-Wheel Snowbird' route is the more likely scenario. I ask her for 8-10 weeks each winter. She used to be at 2-3. She's now at 4-6, so we're getting there!

Today is good ole 52F and rain for N. VA. So why not make me think about what I want to do for this camping season. We already have a few good trip weekends planed. Add in the race track and I might have a pretty busy season for the RV. So of course next up is needing to get the truck serviced for the year, state safety inspections all around and take stock of what I need to order for this season.

I am pretty good with ordering, or putting things on my shopping list that I used up. But there are also some mods I really want to do this year. First one is going to be finally installing those LED lights for backing up so I see my wheels and tail in the dark. My old rig had only rear lights and I used to use magnetic LED lights in the wheel well to backup. I think having that just built in will be awesome.

From now till then I need to pick away at my garage some more. I have been slowly getting through all the crates and boxes in the process to declutter and organize. Last few weeks I been unwilling to work out there due to the cold, to which my wife reminded me I already had a plan with the leftover insulation from our fall project to add another R30 layer the attic...LOL guess I can make that my weekend project to lay those rolls in the garage attic and replace the failing fluorescent light fixtures. I thought about LED, but I still have 3 new fixtures the previous owner left behind plus a whole box of bulbs...you can see where this is going.

I guess the thought that I am 6 weeks away from first camping use and 2 months from first weekend trip has my camping juices brewing.

Running around the country this week for work… in Tupelo, MS tonight and then going to Union City, TN tomorrow for the night. I can’t remember where everyone is EXACTLY, so curious (just for fun) who I may be close to these few days 🙂

Happy Valentine's Day to all you camping folks!

Me and DW celebrated tonight with ice cream in our Mickey and Minnie Souvenir Kitchen Sinks.

I've had the Mickey one for a while. Our objective last month was to get a Minnie but they are only sold at 1) the MK Ice Cream Parlor on the corner of Main Street opposite Caseys, and 2) at Beaches & Cream (ice cream parlor and lunch place) at Yacht Club.

We had a lunch ADR at B&C for Thursday of our trip last month and so when I saw a tourist at MK on Tuesday with a Minnie I thought, "no problem, get it Thursday". Got to B&C on Thursday and they had TONS of Mickies but no Minnies. :sad:.

But eBay is my friend. :rolleyes:

DW chose Breyer's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups ice cream and I chose the Breyer's New York Style Cheesecake ice cream. Now we can enjoy these in the future.

Bama Ed

Ps - and of course I cut off the tip top of the valentine's card I gave DW in the pic. :sad2:

Well, the time has (almost) come. DW and I have officially decided that 2022 is the year to sell the trailer. With three teens (the oldest of whom I'm taking for her first official college visit tomorrow), the foreseeable trailer usage for the next 5+ years is tenuous at best. Between weather and school schedules, our camping season is limited to Mem. Day to Labor Day, and with camps, work, teen jobs, etc... the camper just won't get used. It will likely be 10-15 years before it makes sense again, so it is time to let it go. We will have a few last hurrahs this summer and list it sometime in late July or August. Rough decision to make, but she has served us well for 10 years and it is time to move on.

Knew you all would understand! Here's to what's next.

Well, the time has (almost) come. DW and I have officially decided that 2022 is the year to sell the trailer. With three teens (the oldest of whom I'm taking for her first official college visit tomorrow), the foreseeable trailer usage for the next 5+ years is tenuous at best. Between weather and school schedules, our camping season is limited to Mem. Day to Labor Day, and with camps, work, teen jobs, etc... the camper just won't get used. It will likely be 10-15 years before it makes sense again, so it is time to let it go. We will have a few last hurrahs this summer and list it sometime in late July or August. Rough decision to make, but she has served us well for 10 years and it is time to move on.

Knew you all would understand! Here's to what's next.
Its probably for the best. I know lots that just have the camper sitting in the driveway and then sell if after 3 or so years on non use. Tbh, im not looking forward to my daughter growing up. At 10 now shes still interested, but I can definitely see the camping winding down in 4 to 5 years. Life goes on, when one chapter is written another gets started. Have fun!

I'm not looking forward to my daughter growing up. At 10 now she's still interested, but I can definitely see the camping winding down in 4 to 5 years.
Don't be so sure, Spencer. DS is 24 and still goes with us 90% of the time. He is fortunate his job lets him take off when he wants and he doesn't have a lot of financial commitments.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter