The DxDP Take #3: You don’t have to max it out to save a bundle (with spreadsheets & mini reviews!)

Great analysis and I agree with the findings for the most part. There is definitely value to be had in the deluxe dining plan.

For those that are commenting that it's still a lot of money, that may be true but saying something has value is not the same as saying it's cheap. There are definitely more affordable/cheaper ways to eat at WDW and there is nothing wrong with that. But, eating with a lower budget doesn't negate the fact that there is still value to be found on the deluxe plan.

Great analysis and I agree with the findings for the most part. There is definitely value to be had in the deluxe dining plan.

For those that are commenting that it's still a lot of money, that may be true but saying something has value is not the same as saying it's cheap. There are definitely more affordable/cheaper ways to eat at WDW and there is nothing wrong with that. But, eating with a lower budget doesn't negate the fact that there is still value to be found on the deluxe plan.
Thanks so much for reading :) I'm still surprised by how much even without us maxing everything out. And all food is so expensive at Disney, I really feel like we aren't spending much more than we would even if we had a few counter serves in there, and the whole relaxed table serve experience more than makes up the difference for us.

Thanks much for the up to date reviews especially for Morimoto Asia where we'll be eating on our departure day. You've given me some new dishes to mull over.

Nice to see such a detailed spreadsheet as well:cool:.
For our next trip we'll do half out of pocket and half on the deluxe dining plan (split stay) and hope to see if the 2 payment methods change how we eat. Wouldn't count on it but you never know.

Oh and I love your use of snack credits for breakfast. We probably won't do that this trip since we opted for club level rooms but it's how we normally eat in the morning, on or off a dining plan: fruits, yogurt, maybe a pastry,and of course some kind of hot beverage via the refillable mugs. Doesn't weigh us down for the start of the day and keeps our tummies in check for the roller-coasters we like to begin our park visits.

Thanks so much for reading :) I'm still surprised by how much even without us maxing everything out. And all food is so expensive at Disney, I really feel like we aren't spending much more than we would even if we had a few counter serves in there, and the whole relaxed table serve experience more than makes up the difference for us.

I think you and I have the same approach to Disney dining, which is probably why we find value on the deluxe plan. I often hear the "it's too much food" argument, but even on vacation we tend to eat 3 meals a day, as we do at home, but I don't necessarily clean every plate and over stuff myself. Some people find that is not getting your money's worth, but I find the experience of the restaurant itself, plus the built in down time to sit and relax and cool down (we travel in the summer) more than makes up for that. I think that people who can't or won't see the value in dining plans are those that tend to not eat many meals a day, share meals, buy food for their room, etc... and that works for some people just fine, but it's not for me. That's why it's so easy to answer the "is the dining plan worth it" question because it's different for everyone.

I think you and I have the same approach to Disney dining, which is probably why we find value on the deluxe plan. I often hear the "it's too much food" argument, but even on vacation we tend to eat 3 meals a day, as we do at home, but I don't necessarily clean every plate and over stuff myself. Some people find that is not getting your money's worth, but I find the experience of the restaurant itself, plus the built in down time to sit and relax and cool down (we travel in the summer) more than makes up for that. I think that people who can't or won't see the value in dining plans are those that tend to not eat many meals a day, share meals, buy food for their room, etc... and that works for some people just fine, but it's not for me. That's why it's so easy to answer the "is the dining plan worth it" question because it's different for everyone.

I think this is so important, and something I try to bring up every time I enter an 'is the DDP worth it' thread. It isn't just about the numbers, but knowing how you and your family will likely eat on vacation. In general, even at home, I don't eat 3 meals a day, and when DH and I go out, we prefer to share meals or cobble together a meal from a range of apps and sides, rarely do I ever order an actual entree as I usually don't find them as appealing as the appetizers. Snacks are also totally lost on us, we always think that we are going to spend the day snacking around WDW and then we rarely even do a snack a day, and when we do it is usually something low value like a bottle of water or a pastry. The heat also kills our appetites which is something we take into consideration. Another thing I always bring up, especially for couples, is that if you like to eat more in lounges and bars then you should really consider whether the plans make sense for you. When the plan works for how you prefer to eat that's great, but if you need to force yourself to conform to the plan then it likely isn't going to be as good of an experience for you.

Thanks much for the up to date reviews especially for Morimoto Asia where we'll be eating on our departure day. You've given me some new dishes to mull over.

Nice to see such a detailed spreadsheet as well:cool:.
For our next trip we'll do half out of pocket and half on the deluxe dining plan (split stay) and hope to see if the 2 payment methods change how we eat. Wouldn't count on it but you never know.

Oh and I love your use of snack credits for breakfast. We probably won't do that this trip since we opted for club level rooms but it's how we normally eat in the morning, on or off a dining plan: fruits, yogurt, maybe a pastry,and of course some kind of hot beverage via the refillable mugs. Doesn't weigh us down for the start of the day and keeps our tummies in check for the roller-coasters we like to begin our park visits.

Thanks so much fore reading, and I hope you will report back with your experience! I have a split stay coming up in November for F&W Race Weekend (unless may waitlist clears), and because we are coming in really late the first night and leaving early the last day, I'm debating whether to only do the DP for one part of the stay. As you saw from the report, I absolutely love love loved Morimoto. It's now right at the top of my must do list next to CA grill brunch. The snack credits for breakfast are awesome and pretty much what we prefer to eat anyway. I eat cereal or oatmeal 5 times a week (the other days are egg white breakfast burritos) at home.

Sounds like we do. We rarely--rarely--miss meals, and I don't think I've ever split an entree at dinner with anyone. Very occasionally my daughter and I might split a sandwich at lunch but that's usually because we know we are eating early or something like that. I agree 100% about the total restaurant experience being an important factor.

I think this is so important, and something I try to bring up every time I enter an 'is the DDP worth it' thread. It isn't just about the numbers, but knowing how you and your family will likely eat on vacation. In general, even at home, I don't eat 3 meals a day, and when DH and I go out, we prefer to share meals or cobble together a meal from a range of apps and sides, rarely do I ever order an actual entree as I usually don't find them as appealing as the appetizers. Snacks are also totally lost on us, we always think that we are going to spend the day snacking around WDW and then we rarely even do a snack a day, and when we do it is usually something low value like a bottle of water or a pastry. The heat also kills our appetites which is something we take into consideration. Another thing I always bring up, especially for couples, is that if you like to eat more in lounges and bars then you should really consider whether the plans make sense for you. When the plan works for how you prefer to eat that's great, but if you need to force yourself to conform to the plan then it likely isn't going to be as good of an experience for you.

Totally agree that the decision is about knowing how your family eats. We are definitely three meal a day eaters 100% of the time, and when dining out always order appetizers (salads, soups, etc.). What I was surprised about was how much room there was in the DxDP to not max out. I should go back and calculate whether we could have broken even or come close with just entrees.

Omg-I'm a total fan girl!!!!!!

We've just returned (this afternoon) from our first try with d ddp & I actually thought of you whilst we were there..
Is it worth it? It was worth every penny,cent,dime,dollar..it was fricking amazing:dancer:

We were character heavy in the extreme (your son would have loved our ADR's)
We visited a few of the same restaurants & had totally different experiences from you;isn't that what makes the world go round?

Very briefly:

Be our guest -breakfast
Liberty tree tavern-lunch
Crystal palace-dinner

1900pf-breakfast
California grill-dinner

Akerhus-breakfast
Be our guest-dinner

Tusker house-breakfast
Jiko-dinner

Hollywood & vine-breakfast
Sanaa-lunch
Hoop dee doo-would you believe;dinner?!

Bon voyage-breakfast!!
Coral reef-lunch
Garden grill-dinner

C.R.T.-breakfast
Gasperilla-lunch
Ohana-dinner

Sanaa was by far the worst experience I've ever experienced in a restaurant in my life-never mind just in the disney bubble:worried:

Jiko was amazing
Hoop dee doo was fantastic
Bon voyage was just wonderful
C.R.T.- we really were not expecting much & it was delicious
I adore Hollywood &vine
L.T.T. was very nearly cancelled & was the fave lunch dd & dh of our entire trip.
Coral reef was added when we were on living with the land as my tummy began to growl :ssst:

And all our food over at grand Floridian-counter service & table was superb.

We were both park & food addicts - it was my birthday trip and it was incredible.

Omg-I'm a total fan girl!!!!!!

We've just returned (this afternoon) from our first try with d ddp & I actually thought of you whilst we were there..
Is it worth it? It was worth every penny,cent,dime,dollar..it was fricking amazing:dancer:

We were character heavy in the extreme (your son would have loved our ADR's)
We visited a few of the same restaurants & had totally different experiences from you;isn't that what makes the world go round?

Very briefly:

Be our guest -breakfast
Liberty tree tavern-lunch
Crystal palace-dinner

1900pf-breakfast
California grill-dinner

Akerhus-breakfast
Be our guest-dinner

Tusker house-breakfast
Jiko-dinner

Hollywood & vine-breakfast
Sanaa-lunch
Hoop dee doo-would you believe;dinner?!

Bon voyage-breakfast!!
Coral reef-lunch
Garden grill-dinner

C.R.T.-breakfast
Gasperilla-lunch
Ohana-dinner

Sanaa was by far the worst experience I've ever experienced in a restaurant in my life-never mind just in the disney bubble:worried:

Jiko was amazing
Hoop dee doo was fantastic
Bon voyage was just wonderful
C.R.T.- we really were not expecting much & it was delicious
I adore Hollywood &vine
L.T.T. was very nearly cancelled & was the fave lunch dd & dh of our entire trip.
Coral reef was added when we were on living with the land as my tummy began to growl :ssst:

And all our food over at grand Floridian-counter service & table was superb.

We were both park & food addicts - it was my birthday trip and it was incredible.

Whoo hoo!!! So great to hear your experiences. And WOW on Sanaa. Sounds as if you flipped our experience with Sanaa and Jiko! I love Bon Voyage Breakfast, too, and had the exact same reaction with CRT. I'll have to check out LTT some time. A very happy belated birthday, and I'm so glad you had a fun time.

Whoo hoo!!! So great to hear your experiences. And WOW on Sanaa. Sounds as if you flipped our experience with Sanaa and Jiko! I love Bon Voyage Breakfast, too, and had the exact same reaction with CRT. I'll have to check out LTT some time. A very happy belated birthday, and I'm so glad you had a fun time.

Thank you very much.

And yes, we had a great trip.
Jet lag is keeping me wide awake whilst dh is snoring very loudly :rotfl2:

I'm currently deciding whether we want the deluxe plan on our first ever WDW visit in February and this was really helpful. Your family's vacation dining seems very similar to ours.

I'm currently deciding whether we want the deluxe plan on our first ever WDW visit in February and this was really helpful. Your family's vacation dining seems very similar to ours.
We've really enjoyed it and are planning to do it again in November. It has been a nice way for us to structure our days and get some nice down time as well as eating much better. I'll make sure to report back in November :)

Thank you for sharing a wonderful review and financial summary once again. I also love the dlxdp. It just matches the way I enjoy eating. I really don’t enjoy the qs locations that much. I enjoy a TS late breakfast or early lunch and then typically a signature dinner. I also feel like I eat healthier at the signature locations as they have more salad options and fish/seafood. I often will have sorbet for dessert and yeah I do enjoy an adult beverage too. It is nice to have it prepaid as well. Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing your had work and spreadsheets with us. I too am a huge fan of the DxDDP even if I don't come out ahead or not. I like having my dining paid off before I arrive and I also love to be able to get an app and not scared to get something I might not like either. It has allowed me to become more adventurous with my choices. If i was paying out of pocket I would only get what I know I like. There is a lot of hating towards the DDP on this site and even when people are saying what they like about it there is always someone on here trying to rain on your parade. I feel too each there own and let people enjoy there vacation the way they want too. Obviously there is enough of us out there that like it for Disney to keep it around. Thank you again for all your input and such a great review of the plan.

Thank you for sharing a wonderful review and financial summary once again. I also love the dlxdp. It just matches the way I enjoy eating. I really don’t enjoy the qs locations that much. I enjoy a TS late breakfast or early lunch and then typically a signature dinner. I also feel like I eat healthier at the signature locations as they have more salad options and fish/seafood. I often will have sorbet for dessert and yeah I do enjoy an adult beverage too. It is nice to have it prepaid as well. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for reading! I 100% agree about feeling as if you are eating better when doing the DxDP. I noticed a really big difference the first time we did it from how I usually feel after a few days at the park. I eat so many more veggies on the DxDP!

Thank you for sharing your had work and spreadsheets with us. I too am a huge fan of the DxDDP even if I don't come out ahead or not. I like having my dining paid off before I arrive and I also love to be able to get an app and not scared to get something I might not like either. It has allowed me to become more adventurous with my choices. If i was paying out of pocket I would only get what I know I like. There is a lot of hating towards the DDP on this site and even when people are saying what they like about it there is always someone on here trying to rain on your parade. I feel too each there own and let people enjoy there vacation the way they want too. Obviously there is enough of us out there that like it for Disney to keep it around. Thank you again for all your input and such a great review of the plan.

Great point about being more adventurous! I can totally see how that would work. It's definitely made us spread out our dining choices a lot more. I love choosing different restaurants to mix in with favorites every time. I doubt I'd do that if we weren't doing the DxDP. I agree completely! It was because of some of the negative comments that I decided to do this and hopefully give a little balance to the discussion :) Thank you so much for reading and so glad you enjoyed!

im in a similiar frame of mind. maybe its a california thing. maybe were just used to a higher cost of living? lol
i live large in a tiny tiny tiny apartment that sounds like it costs more than that persons mortgage :)

but yeah im into DX for a 5 day trip. if i was doing a 2 or 3 week trip, sure its probably too much. and i just like to freedom to do what i want, and if im full ill stop! im really looking forward to using it :)

im in a similiar frame of mind. maybe its a california thing. maybe were just used to a higher cost of living? lol
i live large in a tiny tiny tiny apartment that sounds like it costs more than that persons mortgage :)

but yeah im into DX for a 5 day trip. if i was doing a 2 or 3 week trip, sure its probably too much. and i just like to freedom to do what i want, and if im full ill stop! im really looking forward to using it :)
I think so! The cost of living in CA and NY is so different from other parts of the country. Have fun with your 5 days of DxDP! I hope you have some good ressies :)

I think so! The cost of living in CA and NY is so different from other parts of the country. Have fun with your 5 days of DxDP! I hope you have some good ressies :)

I wish more people would realize that California is expensive to live at and stop coming here. The freeways are crowded everyday now. Can't even go somewhere 20 miles away without it taking two hours even on a Sunday.

I wish more people would realize that California is expensive to live at and stop coming here. The freeways are crowded everyday now. Can't even go somewhere 20 miles away without it taking two hours even on a Sunday.
OMG don't get me started! It's horrible where I am, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter