The Fantasyland that never was...

~Kik-Kik~

DIS Veteran
I dont know how many of you out there know this but the Fantasyland we have at Magic Kingdom was not the original plans. The original plans called for completely diffrent dark rides from it's West Coast sister. These are Mark Davis original plans that were never used for unknown reasons.

First off is Snow White. Snow White was never suppose to be, originally it was suppose to be a dark ride through the world of Sleeping Beauty. This would have saves the disaster that was the original version of Snow White with over 7 witches, the queen and no Snow White to be seen.

Next up is Peter Pan. What could have replaced Peter Pan you ask? Mary Poppins. Yes, Mark's original planes called for a Mary Poppins dark ride. That means the the MP scene in GMR at DHS could have been a tribute to his plans since we know that WDI have done many, many, many references to Thunder Mesa through out the parks around the world. I personally am glad this never happened, Peter Pan is amazing in every way and I doubt MP could be better.

Mr. Toad was never supose to be there either. Winnie the Pooh wasnt in the original plans either. The Adventures of Ichabod was however. This would have made sense considering Mr. Toad and Ichabod were packaged together and have the same rank in Disney history as being the best of the packaged films.

An finally, The Enchanted Snow Palace. This was a slow boat ride/dark ride through, you guessed it, an enchanted snow palace. I'm not sure if this was suppose to be instead of iasw, but I am nearly 100% sure it wasnt. Why? Because this ride was the only one of these dark rides to be considered for Disneyland too, where it would sit across Small World, sitting just outside the original Fantasyland area. This must have gotten pretty far in development because there is concept art for this ride.

2i7y612.jpg

This concept art was done by Mark Davis. Saddily these rides will never happen though I am extremely happy that Fantasyland will finally get the make over it needs so it will no longer be the watered-down version of DLR's and TDR's Fantasylands. MK will finally get attractions that are unique to WDW, alwell as an overall face lift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter