The Friendliest States & the Least Friendliest States... How did your state rank?

We've spent a lot of time in Arkansas and just about everyone has been very kind. I don't get why they see Arkansas in that way.

I also noticed a huge difference in friendliness from when we cruised out of Galveston vs Florida. The Galveston cruise was 90% ppl from Texas and I chatted with so many people and everyone was friendly. Cruising out of Florida, people mostly kept to themselves or their groups they were with.
That's because FL is mostly made up of people from the Northeast. :rotfl:

TN here, so number two on the list. Come get some of that southern hospitality, y'all!

I think people here are more tentative about starting up a conversation than in some places I've traveled, but you can definitely find people willing to chat. And they do turn out to help in an emergency.

I agree with that. People in MA generally aren't going to strike up a conversation unprompted, but if you do approach or ask for help we're perfectly nice.

And Florida is un friendly not buying it I think Florida is friendly but i was born and rased in Florida
That's because FL is mostly made up of people from the Northeast. :rotfl:

I think you're both right. Floridians are friendly, but there are a lot of transplants from New York! They're bringing down you're ranking, LOL.

^This is all just a joke BTW - friendly people do exist everywhere of course. :)

I live in AR, which is ranked 49th - and I disagree. The part of AR I live in has very few locals, which is maybe why!! Most people move here from other states (us included!), other parts of this state, or immigrate from other countries because they work for our many large companies. If people here were unfriendly to newcomers, no one would speak to anyone else, b/c hardly anyone is an actual local :rotfl: :rotfl: It's a treat to meet someone who has lived here their whole lives. The entire area is incredibly ethnically diverse, which is part of why we love it.

Now, our part of AR is unique, so I can't definitively speak for the rest of the state, but my experience with the opposite side of the state and in more rural areas, I'd agree that people tend to be less friendly and more wary.

I don't agree that New York is unfriendly but assuming this is based mostly on the city, there are just a ton of people who have to put up with a ton of people at all times. Most of us are willing to help and look out for one another, commiserate on shared experiences and frustrations and are definitely a community, we just also tell it like it is and can be snarky, which can come off as rude. But you're pretty likely to have a good experience with New Yorkers if you are respectful of their time and space!

I’m a native of Tennessee but have lived or done work gigs a ton of places. People are only friendly because they are nosey as all get out. It is surface friendly. Give me New Yorkers any day.

DH was born & raised in upstate NY and this is where we live currently. People around us are relatively nice and friendly, but everyone knows everyone so it's not a surprise. Since the majority of the residents of the state are in big cities, I can understand the ranking. My family is in South Carolina and I do agree with that ranking. In fact, the first time my DH visited my family, he openly stated how he couldn't believe how friendly people were to him, meaning just to strangers and random people on the street. *sigh* Can't wait to move South again.

I live in AR, which is ranked 49th - and I disagree. The part of AR I live in has very few locals, which is maybe why!! Most people move here from other states (us included!), other parts of this state, or immigrate from other countries because they work for our many large companies. If people here were unfriendly to newcomers, no one would speak to anyone else, b/c hardly anyone is an actual local :rotfl: :rotfl: It's a treat to meet someone who has lived here their whole lives. The entire area is incredibly ethnically diverse, which is part of why we love it.

Now, our part of AR is unique, so I can't definitively speak for the rest of the state, but my experience with the opposite side of the state and in more rural areas, I'd agree that people tend to be less friendly and more wary.

What part? I grew up in NWA and in my opinion it's more tend to yourself and Little Rock definitely is.

Now I live in FL which I guess could be considered friendlier if I get checked out at Publix but this one girl who always makes a conversation. Otherwise I view it the same way, not many people going out of your way to befriend others. Which is fine IMO.

I find it funny I've lived in two "least friendly" states and want to move to another one! Yay for introvertedness! (don't care if that's a real word or not):laughing:

What part? I grew up in NWA and in my opinion it's more tend to yourself and Little Rock definitely is.

Now I live in FL which I guess could be considered friendlier if I get checked out at Publix but this one girl who always makes a conversation. Otherwise I view it the same way, not many people going out of your way to befriend others. Which is fine IMO.

I find it funny I've lived in two "least friendly" states and want to move to another one! Yay for introvertedness! (don't care if that's a real word or not):laughing:

We're in NWA. When did you leave the area? We've been here for 7 years and the growth since we've been here is incredible. In my wide circle, less than 25% of the people I know are actually from here. The people who did grow up here tend to be less friendly than the people who have moved in from other places. I think it's because all of us who are transplants HAVE to be friendly so we aren't isolated in a new place. I do a lot of volunteer work, and most of the people I work with are not originally from the area, but have adopted it as their own.

LOL, it's totally a word! I'm an extroverted introvert, I have to do A LOT of public speaking and work with schools, and I have to be "on" most of the time. I have to take time to recover from that, it can be so draining!!

Live in Indiana - very friendly. When walking outside everyone says 'hi', people will start chatting at grocery store etc. I recently had a nice chat with a stranger in the store about boot I was wearing after Achilles tendon surgery. He was going to have soon- he just commented on my boot and we talked.

My family is in Arizona. When hubby and I walk their neighborhood and you say hi to people you pass most just walk by (we do because it's normal to us). Most people ignore BUT those who do reply we figure are Midwesterners.

Live in Indiana - very friendly. When walking outside everyone says 'hi', people will start chatting at grocery store etc. I recently had a nice chat with a stranger in the store about boot I was wearing after Achilles tendon surgery. He was going to have soon- he just commented on my boot and we talked.

My family is in Arizona. When hubby and I walk their neighborhood and you say hi to people you pass most just walk by (we do because it's normal to us). Most people ignore BUT those who do reply we figure are Midwesterners.
Or southerners. Here, if someone says hi or good morning or something like that to you as you’re passing them & you ignore them, it’s considered rude.

In my opinion, it IS rude to ignore someone who is speaking to you. If someone says Hi to me or Buenos Dias, I say Hi or Buenos Dias to them and continue on my way. And I live in New Jersey! To me it’s just common courtesy. Of course, if you feel threatened or in danger if you respond, that’s a different story. I’d keep walking too! 🚶🏼‍♀️🏃‍♂️

I live in #46 (New Jersey). I can imagine people come off as unfriendly because we don't have conversations with random strangers. I find doing that odd and somewhat uncomfortable.

LOL, it's totally a word! I'm an extroverted introvert, I have to do A LOT of public speaking and work with schools, and I have to be "on" most of the time. I have to take time to recover from that, it can be so draining!!

I agree - absolutely a word!

And I actually do better with public/school speaking, too. I think it's because it's planned. It's the coming up with words on the spot that tires me out! (That's one of the reasons I love the DIS - I can think first, then answer, instead of having to "think out loud".)

I definitely recommend The introvert's way: living a quiet life in a noisy world, by Sophia Dembling!

I have found that the more fun a place is to visit, the more friendly the people there are. It makes sense. People who hate where they live will be miserable to everyone. If you love where you live, you'll be in a good mood most of the time. Along these lines, almost every state will vary greatly in the perceived friendliness of its residents, depending on where in the state you are. People in my city are super friendly, but there are some godawful parts of this state where people are usually in a bad mood. So, to sum up, this survey is a bunch of B.S.

KS-#8 I think I would agree with the description from the article: "The famous Kansas friendliness can come as a surprise for visitors from other states, so be prepared to engage in random conversations with just about everyone you meet here. Local’s openheartedness towards strangers makes the state such a beautiful place to visit."

Now I live right next to MO which is #22 and their description is: "People in Missouri will tell you their entire life story before you’ve even had the chance to say ‘hello’. They’re nice and tend to actually be interested in what strangers have to say – there’s no fakeness here." I would largely agree with that too.

I would also agree that is can be dependent on where you live within a state but I do think as a whole people don't have much problem talking it up with people randomly here and I say that even speaking about the other side of the state line within my metro. I would count that as different from places where you generally just keep to yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter